Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:15:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Marosi  (Read 4388 times)

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
Re: Marosi
« Reply #30 on April 20, 2019, 08:10:09 am by PDX_Rover »
We’ve had way worse keepers that both Marosi and Lawlor. We’ve got Lawlor next season and I think there’s room for improvement there. I mean he was at Man City so he obviously has something...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on April 20, 2019, 08:15:03 am by Padge_DRFC »
Marko Marosi - lambasted weekly for not coming off his line, this week he comes off his line and gets lambasted for the doing the thing he has been previously lambasted for not doing. Leads me to the conclusion that our fans in the main are an unpleasable set of lambasted’s

There's a difference to coming off your line in your 6 yard box and 15 yards off it for no reason

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on April 20, 2019, 10:16:18 am by idler »
That is exactly how I saw it Padge.
We are used to him not coming for crosses but he just seemed to move with no plan. We all make mistakes but he seemed on automatic pilot for a few seconds there, he was nowhere near it.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on April 20, 2019, 10:51:19 am by Bristol Red Rover »

There's a difference to coming off your line in your 6 yard box and 15 yards off it for no reason
But he was 12 yards off it, no need to exaggerate.

If you watch that cross, it was heading practically straight until the very last moment when it veered away from Marosi. If it had gone straight, as he no doubt read it was going to do, it was a simple punch. More than likely, Lawlor would have done exactly the same.

Feckin beach balls they play with are a joke. They are fun though when you whack them and they do that double/triple swerve thing tying the keeper in knots as they fly through his flapping hands - kinda what happened to Marosi.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 11:01:54 am by Bristol Red Rover »

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on April 20, 2019, 11:00:02 am by pib »
Marosi has a bad rick in him, as does Lawlor, but overall they’re both decent enough L1 keepers and both have time on their side to improve.

We could get better if we were in the Championship, but I’m not really sure what some people expect from a lower league level keeper.

I suppose we were very lucky back in the day with Neil Sullivan whose all-round game was superb, and even he had a mistake in him from time to time.

I wouldn’t say that either Marosi or Lawlor are any worse than most of the keepers we’ve had when we’ve been in the lower leagues.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on April 20, 2019, 03:17:41 pm by jackthelad »
I prefer Lawlor to Marosi and hope next season Lawlor is our number one to be honest.

Marosi is steady away and ok as a back up but nothing more as far as I’m concerned.

That second goal for Sunderland was a absolute gift and a howler from Marko.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on April 20, 2019, 03:29:44 pm by glosterred »
We don’t have a choice but to play Marosi, unless you want to play Jones instead.

COYR

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on April 20, 2019, 04:42:37 pm by andysly »
Anybody seen many better keepers than our two in L1 this season.
And if you have, check their clubs forum and I bet my last pound there’ll be a thread slating them.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on April 20, 2019, 05:20:39 pm by scawsby steve »
Marosi has a bad rick in him, as does Lawlor, but overall they’re both decent enough L1 keepers and both have time on their side to improve.

We could get better if we were in the Championship, but I’m not really sure what some people expect from a lower league level keeper.

I suppose we were very lucky back in the day with Neil Sullivan whose all-round game was superb, and even he had a mistake in him from time to time.

I wouldn’t say that either Marosi or Lawlor are any worse than most of the keepers we’ve had when we’ve been in the lower leagues.

Good post Pib, and a lot of people forget that we won League 1 with Gary Woods playing a lot of games, and he wasn't as good as either Lawlor or Marosi.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on April 20, 2019, 05:59:20 pm by Chris Black come back »
Defence that Woods was playing behind was - defensively - as good as we have had in living memory. Quinn, Jones, McCombe and Spurr were all a superb defensive unit. Not much football in them but an absolutely solid group.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on April 20, 2019, 08:26:13 pm by drfchound »
On a previous occasion that Marks made an error which resulted in a goal a certain poster said something along the lines of “DeGea wouldn’t make an error to concede a goal like that”.
Oops.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on April 21, 2019, 02:10:39 am by jackthelad »
We don’t have a choice but to play Marosi, unless you want to play Jones instead.

COYR

I understand that, it’s bad luck that Lawlor has been injured for so long but the silver lining is that it might well have shown McCann that Marosi isn’t good enough to be first choice.

All about opinions though I guess.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on April 21, 2019, 07:32:32 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
They both have strengths and weaknesses but neither command their box like you'd prefer a keeper to do.

Marosi made a big error on Friday coming too far out just as Lawlor made the error at Wycombe for not coming out.

Both will make errors and both will make some blinding saves. If I had a choice, I'd seriously be looking for a keeper who's better at commanding his area as that alone has a big impact on the rest of the defence. A back 4 should have complete confidence in their keeper. I would imagine Butler, Downing, Anderson etc, are a bit uncertain with both keepers.

If Lawlor is staying and Marko looking elsewhere then I'd be looking for a new No 1.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #43 on April 21, 2019, 07:42:35 am by idler »
I would have thought that both would have been working on this area with the coach. Practice, practise, practise and build up the confidence..
I remember Bradford City away the other season and Sam Johnson was magnificent. He caught or punched everything thrown at him and up against James Hanson. All the City fans a
Were raving about him after the game. He was also younger than both of ours now if I remember right.
If they can add this to their game they would be all round keepers and instil confidence in the defenders making us a tighter unit.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on April 21, 2019, 08:39:29 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I would have thought that both would have been working on this area with the coach. Practice, practise, practise and build up the confidence..
I remember Bradford City away the other season and Sam Johnson was magnificent. He caught or punched everything thrown at him and up against James Hanson. All the City fans a
Were raving about him after the game. He was also younger than both of ours now if I remember right.
If they can add this to their game they would be all round keepers and instil confidence in the defenders making us a tighter unit.

You're right. They should be addressing their weaknesses in training however it seems they will always default to their instincts, especially when under pressure.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on April 21, 2019, 10:10:01 am by RoversAlias »
Note that Sam Johnstone is now a #1 keeper for a top 6 Championship team. The fact is that all goalkeepers at this level will have limitations, we were spoiled to have Sully for so long. Lawlor and Marosi are both very good for this level, they have different strengths and weaknesses but by and large they have both helped us to win many games with their abilities.

We spent a long, long time after Sully struggling to nail down a firm goalkeeping choice. And there were some really poor players in there too at times.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on April 21, 2019, 10:19:14 am by jackthelad »
In fairness I don’t really get the comparison with Sam Jonstone because I always thought he was excellent and many touted him to play for England.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on April 21, 2019, 10:38:38 am by Chris Black come back »
For me the fundamental role of the keeper is not to f**k up. They are always going to get beaten by good shots. They are there to stop the ball going in to the goal. Playing football is an added bonus but not their core role. At this level we should be looking at a boring keeper who can be relied upon not to f**k up. We don’t have that.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on April 21, 2019, 10:46:28 am by jackthelad »
I understand what your saying to a certain degree but every goalkeeper f**ks up at some stages. It’s part and parcel of being a goalkeeper.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on April 21, 2019, 10:58:59 am by pib »
For me the fundamental role of the keeper is not to f**k up. They are always going to get beaten by good shots. They are there to stop the ball going in to the goal. Playing football is an added bonus but not their core role. At this level we should be looking at a boring keeper who can be relied upon not to f**k up. We don’t have that.

McLaughlin for Sunderland a prime example. Sturdiest goalkeeper I’ve seen at this level for a long time. Doesn’t seem to put a foot wrong.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on April 21, 2019, 12:07:03 pm by ravenrover »
I just hope that we get behind him on Tuesday with a rousing Oh Marco Marosi might give his confidence a boost

TinyPortal © 2005-2012