Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 23, 2024, 06:40:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the return game in the playoffs at Charlton.  (Read 7591 times)

grayx

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the return game in the playoffs at Charlton.
« Reply #30 on May 15, 2019, 09:59:53 am by grayx »
To get anything on fri GM has to change something. Like someones posted earlier, we became so predictable on sun ie, Wilks playing on the right will cut inside onto his left foot.
Marquis is far too isolated and isnt quick enough or good enough in the air to play as a lone striker.
I’d like to see someone play alongside Marquis but who have we got?. I thought Sadlier looked lost on the left on Sun so perhaps try him there.
Alfie May isnt the answer & im confused why we dont give the blades lad a try.
And we need some pace, god we looked so slow in the first game. How about move Blair forward in the right, Lewis at right back, Wilks on his natural left side?
Options to consider but i think our best chance will be to attack & surprise them from the start.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
We just don't have that striking partner in our squad to partner Marquis, and even if we did I think it would be playing into their hands. Our best game is when the midfield is on song and the likes of Wilks, Sadlier, Copps cut through them from deeper. Whiteman, Rowe, Kane can all work magic in coming from deeper and with long shots. Blair and Andrew also. May is great for mixing it up when they're tired.

The last 15 games or more we have lost that sharp cutting edge we had for a while. Most of the players are responsible, but since Kane was injured, he is the central difference.

Just less of that hopeful long ball rubbish.

I'm hoping we have enough in our tank for making this game the thriller it can be.

SouthStandFan

• Forum Member
I think we need to be reactive to Charlton for the first half hour. If they come out all guns blazing to finish off the tie, try our best to keep a clean sheet. Then nick a goal to take it through to pens. If we come out attacking get an early goal I can see them shafting us.

That said. I'll take a 2-3 rovers win on the night followed by 4-5 rovers on pens. Just for the drama.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Just stay in the tie as long as possible as Villa will testify after last night!

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on May 15, 2019, 05:59:18 pm by NickDRFC »
Just stay in the tie as long as possible as Villa will testify after last night!

Subtle difference being that Villa carried a lead into the second leg 😜. I see what you’re saying though, I’d take half time at nil nil and hope to build from there.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on May 15, 2019, 07:35:01 pm by drfchound »

Subtle difference being that Villa carried a lead into the second leg 😜. I see what you’re saying though, I’d take half time at nil nil and hope to build from there.

Same thought here.

On the “move Wilks to the left wing thing”
He has scored almost all of his goals when cutting in from the right wing side so that has to be considered by GM.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on May 15, 2019, 10:06:16 pm by selby »
Why do people want us to change things, on Sunday the team we put on the field were the best players we have fitness allowing.
   What we need is them to perform somewhere near their best, and we have a right chance.
   Form is what we need, a performance we know we are capable of.
 Easier said than done, but I am sure everyone will be trying their hardest to do so whoever  plays.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
If anyone's feeling anxious, not that anyone is... this is a great thread to read from our Sarf Landin pals.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/85551/what-could-possibly-go-wrong-now

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on May 16, 2019, 01:34:14 pm by selby »
  It looks as if there has been a security threat for tonight's game at Portsmouth and the supporters are being asked to arrive early with security searches  on the supporters being imposed.
   It may result in the same security at Charlton tomorrow so time taken for entry could be an issue.
  Full individual searches are part of increased security according to Talk Sport Radio at Portsmouth.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on May 16, 2019, 02:08:21 pm by dknward2 »
Probably to stop any pyro getting in as seem to be more and more recently and they need to be seen as doing something

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member

Same thought here.

On the “move Wilks to the left wing thing”
He has scored almost all of his goals when cutting in from the right wing side so that has to be considered by GM.

True but the last few months, sides have been wise to that and are doubling up on him. Makes it very difficult to cut inside and get a shot off.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on May 16, 2019, 03:00:35 pm by Retdon1 »
Few rumours knocking about that West Brom would like to talk to Bower

Gelan Swift

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on May 16, 2019, 07:48:11 pm by Gelan Swift »
The difference between the two teams is Donny need luck, Charlton do not.  If you get that luck then you will win.

Simples!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on May 16, 2019, 07:49:38 pm by RoversAlias »
We don't need luck, we need to perform better than your side.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
The difference between the two teams is Donny need luck, Charlton do not.  If you get that luck then you will win.

Simples!
??? Football is not just about luck. Yes you hope to get some. But usually it’s not luck that wins the match. It will be a shoot out tomorrow.
Who can score the most goals. I think there will be a few that’s my gut feeling.
Penalty shoot out beckons and then you need a bit of good fortune. But it’s mostly skill and bottle and a cool head.

Gelan Swift

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on May 16, 2019, 10:29:40 pm by Gelan Swift »

Can't see the machine breaking down...it's Bowyer powered.  Is he that powerful?  Got us a full house.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

Can't see the machine breaking down...it's Bowyer powered.  Is he that powerful?  Got us a full house.

Machine? The one that's already at Wembley? Bowyers away withthe fairies!

Gelan Swift

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on May 16, 2019, 11:07:40 pm by Gelan Swift »

The most successful snooker players are the ones that can think furthest ahead. 

ps. You talk as if confidence is something to be embarrassed about...it's not, it is beautiful.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member

The most successful snooker players are the ones that can think furthest ahead. 

ps. You talk as if confidence is something to be embarrassed about...it's not, it is beautiful.
I don't recall a snooker player winning by concentrating on the next match.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on May 17, 2019, 12:15:31 am by pib »
I personally don’t think Bowyer being at the Pompey/Sunderland match is overconfidence.

There’s a chance (you could even say a good chance) they will be in the final, and as a manager it’s standard preparation to go and watch your next opponents live. Just because the semi-final isn’t done, I don’t think it’s a reason for him not to prepare properly for the eventuality of playing Sunderland at Wembley.

If McCann had been spotted there, I’d have been pleased for the exact same reasons as the above.

EDIT - re-reading the thread, I’m not sure anyone actually mentions Bowyer being at the Sunderland match. Maybe I dreamt it (or more likely read the criticism of it somewhere else)  :silly:
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:19:13 am by pib »

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on May 17, 2019, 12:47:49 am by dknward2 »
Bowyer was there showed him on sky sports think his assistant was there as well

I'm sure we had sent our scouts to the game

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
Unusual to go to a game night before your own. Send scouts maybe or just watch it on the telly after your game. Sumerts not reight I tell thi.

And ffs, stop sticking up for the opposition, this is war, we are Rovers.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 05:39:05 am by Bristol Red Rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on May 17, 2019, 06:50:48 am by NickDRFC »

To be fair there’s a few on here who have been acting as though we’ve already made it to the final, and Charlton have more of a reason for optimism than we do!

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on May 17, 2019, 08:37:18 am by SydneyRover »
One of the many good things McCann has brought to DR is the ability to turn things around when we haven't being going so well which has been lacking in other recent managers, I'm thinking he can turn this around too.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on May 17, 2019, 08:48:08 am by Donnywolf »

To be fair there’s a few on here who have been acting as though we’ve already made it to the final, and Charlton have more of a reason for optimism than we do!

I'm in neither of those camps because as we all know and have had several reminders of very recently - its Football and anything DOES happen (credit: Jeff Stelling)

My head says with a lead and home advantage CAFC just have to be Favourites and indeed they are just odds on  10/11 ish to win in 90 minutes

However as we saw just last night Sunderland took a 1-0 lead to PFC and prevailed because they did a job on Pompey and Pompey failed to take several good chances in particular 2 "free" headers both of which should have been taken

So I am optimistic "heart" wise - this can be done because after all (as many people used to say) its 22 men kicking a bag of wind about - and 3 people deciding if they are doing it correctly / by the Rules and as we saw again last night they can have a large bearing on how a game goes and how it ends.

COYR - I will stick with "head" but hope "heart" pulls it off

Campsall rover

• Forum Member

Wrong Nick. You have to believe or we may as well not turn up. Optermistic yes. Why not.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 09:05:14 am by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on May 17, 2019, 09:26:24 am by NickDRFC »
Campsall, there's nothing wrong with optimism or belief but comments like "your boys are in for a hell of a beating" and "we don't lose these games" are the sorts of comments that, if they came from the mouths of a Charlton player or fan, a lot of people would consider to be arrogant.

Do I hope we can win? Yes. Do I believe we can win? Yes. Do I expect us to win? No - I expect us to give it a bloody good go, but the odds are against us, as a team with a pretty poor away record, overturning a first leg deficit away from home against a team with a very good home record. We still have a decent chance though and I'm optimistic that we can upset the odds.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Campsall, there's nothing wrong with optimism or belief but comments like "your boys are in for a hell of a beating" and "we don't lose these games" are the sorts of comments that, if they came from the mouths of a Charlton player or fan, a lot of people would consider to be arrogant.

Do I hope we can win? Yes. Do I believe we can win? Yes. Do I expect us to win? No - I expect us to give it a bloody good go, but the odds are against us, as a team with a pretty poor away record, overturning a first leg deficit away from home against a team with a very good home record. We still have a decent chance though and I'm optimistic that we can upset the odds.
My comment was said in jest Nick. The only ones in for a shock tonight are Charlton.
If we lose it’s no shock. Charlton players need to get real. If they think mind games like that are going to work they are deluded. Pin it up in the Rovers dressing room wall.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Right I am getting picked up in 1/2 hr.
My next post will be at 3-30 am on return home after a 9-8 penalty shoot out win. Assuming I didn’t peg it in extra time.
Come on the boys. Here we go here we go. WEMBELEY, WEMBELEY,
 :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
To all those Rovers fans making the trip down to Charlton today, I'd like to wish you all a safe journey there and back and I hope the lads do it for you. Massive credit to you all for making the effort.

Come on Rovers!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012