Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 08:27:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Sir john  (Read 14697 times)

Drover

• Forum Member
Re: Sir john
« Reply #90 on May 30, 2019, 06:50:14 pm by Drover »
John made Andy Liney a director? You do realise the VSC had to pay for that benefit?
So if I get someone to pay for me,I can become a Director?

I'm sure if you're willing to cough up a few million a year I can't see why not.

So the VSC coughed up a few million for Andy to be a director?Think you misunderstood,I think rigo was refering to Andy being appreciated by being made a director,when a previous post indicator he was possibly unappreciated.But hey lets use it to have another dig. :(

Dig, what dig?

I was suggesting if you wanted to become a director today then it would cost you a few million, as it does our current owners/directors.

Saying the VSC had to pay to make Andy Liney a director,when all Rigo was saying,it was an example of Andy being appreciated.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #91 on May 30, 2019, 07:49:48 pm by silent majority »
John made Andy Liney a director? You do realise the VSC had to pay for that benefit?

I'm sure if you're willing to cough up a few million a year I can't see why not.

So the VSC coughed up a few million for Andy to be a director?Think you misunderstood,I think rigo was refering to Andy being appreciated by being made a director,when a previous post indicator he was possibly unappreciated.But hey lets use it to have another dig. :(

Dig, what dig?

I was suggesting if you wanted to become a director today then it would cost you a few million, as it does our current owners/directors.

Saying the VSC had to pay to make Andy Liney a director,when all Rigo was saying,it was an example of Andy being appreciated.

And?

If you don't like my posts don't read them.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on May 31, 2019, 08:57:13 am by Chris Black come back »
Both views can simultaneously be true.

John Ryan is a great, great man for his energy, drive, passion, front and sheer force of will that helped power us from nowhere to somewhere. Rome wasn't built in a day but Ryan wanted us in the Championship by 10.30am at the latest. If he hadn't pushed, pulled, persuaded and cajoled all on sundry from Martin Winter to Michael McIndoe, we likely would never have made it to the Championship or been sat in the Keepmoat. The Donny wideboy who sold us a dream and made it reality.

Great men often have great flaws and great failings.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on May 31, 2019, 09:05:30 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Very fair comment. I think it's time we put this back in the past and continue to look forward to the future.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on May 31, 2019, 09:17:10 am by Campsall rover »
Both views can simultaneously be true.

John Ryan is a great, great man for his energy, drive, passion, front and sheer force of will that helped power us from nowhere to somewhere. Rome wasn't built in a day but Ryan wanted us in the Championship by 10.30am at the latest. If he hadn't pushed, pulled, persuaded and cajoled all on sundry from Martin Winter to Michael McIndoe, we likely would never have made it to the Championship or been sat in the Keepmoat. The Donny wideboy who sold us a dream and made it reality.

Great men often have great flaws and great failings.
Not sure wide boy is fair CBCB. Entrepreneur would be a better description imo.
Whatever anyone wants to say about JR there is one unmistakable fact, we would not be the club we are now without his vision and determination to achieve what he set out to achieve.
We should all be very thankful indeed.
Who would you rather see us playing Sunderland or Curzon Ashton. No more really needs to be said.

ditch_drfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on May 31, 2019, 09:20:19 am by ditch_drfc »
Every time we get one of these threads (usually during the off season) we always get a few Billy big b*llocks "i know something you don't know" telling all us unenlightened folk how we've got it all wrong and JR is actually responsible for all the wrongs in the world.

How many years has it been?

Give it a rest.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on May 31, 2019, 02:38:19 pm by PDX_Rover »
Every time we get one of these threads (usually during the off season) we always get a few Billy big b*llocks "i know something you don't know" telling all us unenlightened folk how we've got it all wrong and JR is actually responsible for all the wrongs in the world.

Give it a rest.

Not really. There are some people that simply know what actually went on in the background. It wasn’t all wine and roses.

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on May 31, 2019, 03:36:05 pm by Drover »

Give it a rest.

Not really. There are some people that simply know what actually went on in the background. It wasn’t all wine and roses.

But thats just it Mark,some of us might not know the all the details but we understand it was'nt all wine and roses,it's been posted umpteens times,as Ditch says,why go on about it everytime one of these threads are posted.Why can they not get over it,move on?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 05:34:30 pm by Drover »

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on May 31, 2019, 03:37:11 pm by Drover »

Dig, what dig?

And?

If you don't like my posts don't read them.

And,if you don't like my replies don't read them.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #99 on May 31, 2019, 06:20:21 pm by Red wizard »
So let me get this right. Are some people suggesting that the man who saved our club was will to see us go bust again?

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on May 31, 2019, 06:28:54 pm by PDX_Rover »

Give it a rest.

You just have a negative view of JR following your own run in with him where he was petulant, during the 2008 close season. I remember it!

Yeah. That was ridiculous. Threatening to pull his money out of Rovers because I complained bait the “service” I received on the club shop.

Like most of us, whatever you think of JR, we wouldn’t have a club without him. I don’t dislike the guy... I just think he could be petty at times when we all were working to improve things. He’s rightly a legend in the Rovers story. But he tarnished that a bit later on. That’s the top and bottom of it for me. Agree we should all move on.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #101 on May 31, 2019, 07:41:53 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
So let me get this right. Are some people suggesting that the man who saved our club was will to see us go bust again?

Nobody's suggested that at all, I don't know where you get that hyperbole from.

Barnie41

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on May 31, 2019, 07:53:15 pm by Barnie41 »
As  Blade with more than a passing interest in DRFC, and maybe not a dog in this particular fight - but JR was key to getting you guys to where you are now. Whatever his faults, and we all have them, watching you lot do well and get to the Championship was bloody brilliant.
It's done and dusted - move on with the good memories of the big days out, putting into perspective the days of burning stands and Crown Court trials.
We're in the PL, with owners fighting over the newly fattened figure of a football club.
It's never all wine and roses.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on May 31, 2019, 08:19:52 pm by adamtherover »
As starter of this thread, I thought it was a good move to publicise JR coming back to the KMS, I think in future I'll know better...

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on May 31, 2019, 08:48:01 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Quite simply would we have the club we have today and just off the cusp of the Championship? For those not around in the Richardson era please respect the severity of our situation in relegation to the conference and the weeks we spent going to far flung places down south in mini-buses. Its great in 2019 to speak glibly about position/budgets etc. But for pity's sake PLEASE remember how one man single handedly kept us massively afloat in our darkest hours. I remember being in the back room at the Park Hotel when Richardson said he wasn't an "honourable man" because he and Collet wouldn;t sell their shares to him to build the "new stand"... mmm. The man will always be a hero in my eyes as he got us back afloat and tell me the prefect individual in life.. we all makes mistakes.. but for FFS do not vilify the man who gave us the opportunity to support the club we have today... 

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #105 on May 31, 2019, 09:42:11 pm by drfchound »
Well said SE1. The best post on this thread.

no eyed deer

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on May 31, 2019, 09:47:17 pm by no eyed deer »
Any other post and admin would have closed this long ago

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on May 31, 2019, 11:20:52 pm by Spilsby Red »
John Ryan saved our club. For that I will always appreciate him.
I went through the Richardson fiasco. I stood up for the club and our livelihood.
Irrelevant what came about with John Ryan, he saved our club. As are the management now.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #108 on May 31, 2019, 11:43:03 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

No, but he adopted a very high risk strategy. We dearly wanted to believe the risk was worth taking but the odds just didn't stack up.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on June 01, 2019, 08:27:30 am by Al4475 »
Sadly that's the thing tho rigo. There were only a few of us (vsc board members and senior officials) at the time that were given the information as the supporters' trust about the potential takeover deals and the experiment.

I don't need to tell you, of all people, that the prime job of the supporters' trust was and still is to deal with issues with the governance of that club.

How do you think it felt from our perspective when the details and potential names of groups, hedgefunds, solicitors, agents etc fell on our desk to analyse and discuss and the massive realisation hit us the the bloke we idolised and worshipped was vindicating a scheme that could potentially put the future of the club in serious jeopardy?

It was fXXXing horrible to say the least. We knew it was gonna cause a shitstorm and God it hurt.

However, the route the club have gone down now is one that means that eventually and in the long term the club should be able to (when it gets there) really become established in the championship in a self-sufficient way that meets all criteria.

That has to be the priority.

Part of me regrets the way John's reign ended - but so much more of me is thankful.

It's a bloody horrible feeling sometimes - but the club, in my opinion, is far more secure now than it could've been.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on June 01, 2019, 10:19:51 am by Chris Black come back »
If we could have kept his enthusiasm in check somehow, we would have been alright. It was exact same energy, enthusiasm and fearlessness that drove us on, but at some stage the money gap became too much to bridge and like ring in Lord of Rings, getting to the Premier League drove him to edge of footballing sanity.

Ryan 1998-2008 was a superb vintage, best ever. Nothing will ever taste as good. Ryan 2008-2013 not one to savour.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on June 01, 2019, 11:55:25 am by RoversAlias »
Quite a good way of putting it I feel, CBCB.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on June 01, 2019, 03:11:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
 :that:

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on June 01, 2019, 03:57:39 pm by Red wizard »
Sadly that's the thing tho rigo. There were only a few of us (vsc board members and senior officials) at the time that were given the information as the supporters' trust about the potential takeover deals and the experiment.

I don't need to tell you, of all people, that the prime job of the supporters' trust was and still is to deal with issues with the governance of that club.

How do you think it felt from our perspective when the details and potential names of groups, hedgefunds, solicitors, agents etc fell on our desk to analyse and discuss and the massive realisation hit us the the bloke we idolised and worshipped was vindicating a scheme that could potentially put the future of the club in serious jeopardy?

It was fXXXing horrible to say the least. We knew it was gonna cause a shitstorm and God it hurt.

However, the route the club have gone down now is one that means that eventually and in the long term the club should be able to (when it gets there) really become established in the championship in a self-sufficient way that meets all criteria.

That has to be the priority.

Part of me regrets the way John's reign ended - but so much more of me is thankful.

It's a bloody horrible feeling sometimes - but the club, in my opinion, is far more secure now than it could've been.
Great post. If people knew the truth it would help.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #114 on June 01, 2019, 04:01:53 pm by Al4475 »
Agreed completely rw and thanks for the positive comment - unfortunately it's not always the case for everything to be open to the public - much as it should be in today's world - one day it may all be open, but it also may not - it's bizarre because it was both an awful time to be involved on the vsc board and also a great time!

Paradox of the highest order! Lol

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on June 01, 2019, 04:20:25 pm by Al4475 »
'The truth' rigo is that sadly the top guy who was pivotal in helping the club get back on it's feet - very nearly jeopardized all his hard work and the future of his beloved club by trying to potentially involve some decidedly dodgy people in his own personal dream.

There's a point when head has to rule heart and tho it was awful to question his motives, associates and financial sway - it needed doing and sadly for tubthumping Rovers fans everywhere - he/his team didn't fit the bill - as backed up by the fa/fl.

And the club are in a far better state because of it.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012