Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 11:56:44 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pre Season Friendlies Confirmed  (Read 7419 times)

swintonrover

• Forum Member
Re: Pre Season Friendlies Confirmed
« Reply #30 on June 04, 2019, 07:50:07 pm by swintonrover »
And yet, not a single person in this thread predicted us playing Hull it seems. I really don't see the issue, it isn't like we're going to get Real Madrid or Juventus down to the Keepmoat for a pre-season game, is it?

Not on the thread, but I sent a text last week with the phrasing "and then home Friendlies against a south Yorkshire team and one of Middlesbrough/Newcastle/Hull/Forest".
Cos that's who we play every year. Why not Leicester? Or Everton? Or Villa? Or even Leeds? Something a bit more varied. The only friendly I've not predicted so far was Halifax (I had Frickley instead). I'm not expecting Real Madrid or Barcelona, but somebody who we've not played a friendly against in the last 5 years would be nice.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on June 04, 2019, 08:54:56 pm by drfchound »
Wonder if there's a link there to possible incoming loanees?

Would the PL clubs have even assessed who they are keeping or sending out on loan yet.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on June 04, 2019, 10:57:18 pm by RoversAlias »
And yet, not a single person in this thread predicted us playing Hull it seems. I really don't see the issue, it isn't like we're going to get Real Madrid or Juventus down to the Keepmoat for a pre-season game, is it?

Not on the thread, but I sent a text last week with the phrasing "and then home Friendlies against a south Yorkshire team and one of Middlesbrough/Newcastle/Hull/Forest".
Cos that's who we play every year. Why not Leicester? Or Everton? Or Villa? Or even Leeds? Something a bit more varied. The only friendly I've not predicted so far was Halifax (I had Frickley instead). I'm not expecting Real Madrid or Barcelona, but somebody who we've not played a friendly against in the last 5 years would be nice.

The thing is, a lot of PL sides would rather fly out for extended tours abroad than get on a bus to somewhere in England further afield than their local sides, hence why we play the same band of Yorkshire sides every year and clubs around the country do likewise.

Personally for me, I like attending friendlies to see what Rovers are looking like, and providing we play a decent standard of opposition I don't mind it often being the same local sides. I've seen us play Derby, Newcastle, Sheff Utd and Sheff Wed in recent years, so Hull is different enough for me. They probably purposely don't book a game with Leeds to avoid any chance of bother occurring.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on June 05, 2019, 08:08:39 am by drfchound »
..........and of course some fans want us to play a genuine big club.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on June 05, 2019, 05:02:30 pm by RedJ »
I don't understand why people care about things like this? Why does it matter who we play in a totally meaningless game? Even if a massive club (that isn't from Sheffield) did rock up, they wouldn't exactly be playing their stars.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on June 05, 2019, 09:46:49 pm by dknward2 »
And just confirmed, Oxford have an away game...

... at Rangers!

The Glasgow variety, too, not the Berwick or Cove!

Wonder how much that has cost them unless it’s the rangers reserve team

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on June 09, 2019, 04:53:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Never bothered me in the slightest who we may or may not play in friendlies. Same with the kit to be honest. So long as it is not something of the ilk of the 1998 hand-drawn badge debacle, we can wear what we want as far as I am concerned. I stopped wearing replica tops to games when I was 14, but appreciate for some adults they continue wearing them, which I guess is why some folk get so bothered about what they look like.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on June 14, 2019, 04:00:59 pm by swintonrover »
Hudders at home, Weds 24th July. Not as bad as it could have been, we've not played them in a while.

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on June 30, 2019, 10:38:21 pm by nice one rovers »
The thing that irks me is this continuous merry-go-round of the same clubs year in year out. What link have we with Grimsby that ties us to visiting there nearly every pre-season. I wouldn't have thought we could learn much from a footballing perspective from playing them.
I understand the community spirit in playing local amateur teams but there are more local teams in need than Rossington, Retford and Armthorpe every other year. Teams like Goole, Selby and North Ferriby surely are worthy of an occasional visit. I suppose Halifax is a little bit different but yet again I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the lack of imagination shown by the club.

North Ferriby is no more mate.

Muttley

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on July 01, 2019, 06:59:32 am by Muttley »
The thing that irks me is this continuous merry-go-round of the same clubs year in year out. What link have we with Grimsby that ties us to visiting there nearly every pre-season. I wouldn't have thought we could learn much from a footballing perspective from playing them.
I understand the community spirit in playing local amateur teams but there are more local teams in need than Rossington, Retford and Armthorpe every other year. Teams like Goole, Selby and North Ferriby surely are worthy of an occasional visit. I suppose Halifax is a little bit different but yet again I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the lack of imagination shown by the club.

North Ferriby United are no more but North Ferriby FC has been set up with new owners.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on July 01, 2019, 10:04:48 pm by RedRover45 »

North Ferriby United are no more but North Ferriby FC has been set up with new owners.

And playing at the same ground.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on July 02, 2019, 07:29:20 am by drfchound »

Same colours?

Would their supporters need new scarves?

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on July 02, 2019, 01:33:10 pm by RedRover45 »

Same colours?

Would their supporters need new scarves?

Think they still play in green

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on July 25, 2019, 05:50:38 pm by kieranDRFC »
Under 23's away at Staveley next Tuesday

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on July 29, 2019, 05:10:43 pm by Retdon1 »
Do we still play stavley tomorrow night ?

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on July 29, 2019, 06:09:05 pm by kieranDRFC »

Still down as being played on the NCEL website, im gonna have a drive over i think

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on July 29, 2019, 06:17:51 pm by swintonrover »

Still down as being played on the NCEL website, im gonna have a drive over i think

I saw that, but it's the exact same date as last year (30th July) and Staveley have not put anything at all on social media. Part of me thinks its a case of getting the year mixed up. I'll check.

UPDATE: Rovers have tweeted that it is on. 7:45pm kick off.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 06:28:24 pm by swintonrover »

kieranDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on July 29, 2019, 06:53:33 pm by kieranDRFC »
My Tuesday night sorted then!

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on July 29, 2019, 08:03:31 pm by dknward2 »
U23 and u18 squads players in this dunno if any trialist will play

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on July 30, 2019, 12:11:06 pm by Retdon1 »
Idd imagine a few trialist will play as the likes of Baptist and Ward could do with some more match minutes in their legs

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on July 30, 2019, 06:47:05 pm by swintonrover »
Staveley match cancelled due to waterlogged pitch

TinyPortal © 2005-2012