Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:33:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Pre Season Friendlies Confirmed  (Read 7442 times)

swintonrover

• Forum Member
Pre Season Friendlies Confirmed
« on May 29, 2019, 01:17:10 pm by swintonrover »
In addition to Grimsby away (Sat 20 July), we now have:

Gainsborough away (Sat 13 July)
Halifax away (Tues 16 July).

Figured it might be an idea to have a thread separate to the wishlist thread to keep track.

So Far
Rosso Main(A) - Tues 9 July (7pm)
Gainsborough(A) - Sat 13 July (3pm)
Halifax(A) - Tues 16 July (7:45pm)
Grimsby(A) - Sat 20 July (12pm)
Huddersfield (H) - Weds 24 July (7:30pm)
Hull City (H) - Sat 27 July (2pm)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:59:07 pm by swintonrover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
Re: Pre Season Friendlies Confirmed
« Reply #1 on May 29, 2019, 01:22:30 pm by jackthelad »
Would've preferred Halifax on the Saturday. Still 3 local decent friendlies.

BanksyDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on May 29, 2019, 02:22:16 pm by BanksyDRFC »
11.31 last train connection from Leeds in midweek. Although no trains from Halifax to Leeds till 10.40 which only gives 11 mins to change trains very risky if Halifax to Leeds is delayed,but can do it via train if it's on time

RedRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on May 29, 2019, 02:24:17 pm by RedRover »
Doubt they featured on any wish lists!

Then you'd be wrong. My dad lives in Gainsborough and can walk to the ground in 15 mins so he always hopes for a pre season friendly at the Northolme.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on May 29, 2019, 02:25:14 pm by Bentley Bullet »
I'd quite like a pre-season tour of Scotland. Not outrageously extravagant and at least it's abroad! It could be better for team bonding than playing local sides like Retford. Even bloody Rotherham are going to Germany.

If Scotland's too far, how about a compromise. Somewhere a bit nearer but not as near as bloody Retford! Somewhere where the team can warrant staying overnight?

Some club's owners actually have financial interests in particular hotels and use them to put up their players.

Doesn't Terry Brammall have a Beach hut in Cleethorpes?

:ohmy: ;)

BanksyDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on May 29, 2019, 02:29:32 pm by BanksyDRFC »
Doubt they featured on any wish lists!

Then you'd be wrong. My dad lives in Gainsborough and can walk to the ground in 15 mins so he always hopes for a pre season friendly at the Northolme.

9.15 according to national rail app then 10.40

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on May 29, 2019, 02:50:55 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm definitely interested in the Gainsborough match. Girlfriend's family live there and it's one of those local teams I've always taken a passing interest in the fortunes of.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on May 29, 2019, 03:23:18 pm by redarmy82 »
Meanwhile Rotherham have a tour of Germany and Chesterfield are off to Spain.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on May 29, 2019, 04:27:31 pm by selby »
  Will it  make them play any better? and will they use Donny airport?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on May 29, 2019, 04:34:44 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Remember when we took a load of trialists to Portugal and they all went to Barnsley or whoever for more money. Think that might have tainted the clubs opinion of an abroad trip.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on May 29, 2019, 05:12:44 pm by RoversAlias »

So? Is it a worthwhile expense? I think the trend of clubs jetting off abroad for a few days is a waste of time to be honest. All the players will have been on their holidays this summer anyway, as will most of the fans, and it won't make any difference to their footballing development let's be honest.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on May 29, 2019, 05:47:45 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Some forget what the purpose of pre-season is. Its not a jolly for the benefit of the fans.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on May 29, 2019, 06:05:25 pm by redarmy82 »

So? Is it a worthwhile expense? I think the trend of clubs jetting off abroad for a few days is a waste of time to be honest. All the players will have been on their holidays this summer anyway, as will most of the fans, and it won't make any difference to their footballing development let's be honest.

If it wasn't worthwhile, then why would they do it?

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on May 29, 2019, 06:16:21 pm by swintonrover »
Rosso away (Tuesday 9th July) confirmed as well

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on May 29, 2019, 07:16:47 pm by RedRover45 »
The thing that irks me is this continuous merry-go-round of the same clubs year in year out. What link have we with Grimsby that ties us to visiting there nearly every pre-season. I wouldn't have thought we could learn much from a footballing perspective from playing them.
I understand the community spirit in playing local amateur teams but there are more local teams in need than Rossington, Retford and Armthorpe every other year. Teams like Goole, Selby and North Ferriby surely are worthy of an occasional visit. I suppose Halifax is a little bit different but yet again I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the lack of imagination shown by the club.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on May 29, 2019, 07:46:51 pm by redarmy82 »
The thing that irks me is this continuous merry-go-round of the same clubs year in year out. What link have we with Grimsby that ties us to visiting there nearly every pre-season. I wouldn't have thought we could learn much from a footballing perspective from playing them.
I understand the community spirit in playing local amateur teams but there are more local teams in need than Rossington, Retford and Armthorpe every other year. Teams like Goole, Selby and North Ferriby surely are worthy of an occasional visit. I suppose Halifax is a little bit different but yet again I am thoroughly underwhelmed by the lack of imagination shown by the club.

Cheap option isn't it.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on May 29, 2019, 07:52:52 pm by vaya »

Cheap option isn't it.

Hi Mike.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on May 29, 2019, 08:29:49 pm by dknward2 »
All about getting match fitness into the players expect a few league sides for a friendly need a home one as well expecting a championship or premiership team to come down and send there reserves

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on May 29, 2019, 08:29:57 pm by redarmy82 »

Cheap option isn't it.

Hi Mike.

Who?

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on May 29, 2019, 08:31:55 pm by RedRover45 »
All about getting match fitness into the players expect a few league sides for a friendly need a home one as well expecting a championship or premiership team to come down and send there reserves

My money's on Sheff Utd at home on 27th July.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on May 29, 2019, 09:26:13 pm by since-1969 »
It’s that per annual grief “ The Budget” a fixed amount is to pay for everything and that includes the pre-season . I can not for the life of me understand how playing against poor quality opposition prepares you for the season ahead .

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on May 29, 2019, 09:42:43 pm by selby »
  !969 don't go to the matches, it is no problem, and it saves you moaning in someones ear who wants to watch a game.
   If we played Real Madrid someone on here would say it is only a friendly, probably you.

RedRover45

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on May 29, 2019, 10:56:44 pm by RedRover45 »
  !969 don't go to the matches, it is no problem, and it saves you moaning in someones ear who wants to watch a game.
   If we played Real Madrid someone on here would say it is only a friendly, probably you.

But that is not the point. What benefit is there in playing Grimsby Town nearly every season ?
If it is a financial issue, why not play other local teams like Goole or Selby instead of Rossington or Armthorpe ?
What do the Rovers gain football wise from playing these teams ?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on May 30, 2019, 06:23:29 am by Alan Southstand »
There's room for one more game prior to the season starting, which looks like being our only home friendly, so no doubt it will be someone half decent - maybe Sheff Utd?

The non-league sides provide us with the opportunity to get some mileage into the legs and start to build up an understanding of what is/ will be required, come kick off time.

Don't forget, quite a few players will be totally new to us this season and they will need time to settle in. Training is one thing; playing games is quite another.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on May 30, 2019, 06:52:58 am by DonnyOsmond »

But that is not the point. What benefit is there in playing Grimsby Town nearly every season ?
If it is a financial issue, why not play other local teams like Goole or Selby instead of Rossington or Armthorpe ?
What do the Rovers gain football wise from playing these teams ?

We start off with lower down teams to slowly work on fitness and go for Rossington/Armthorpe so we can support our local Non League clubs and help them get some money in. After that the opposition increases and increases in stature where we normally end with a Premier League or Championship club. At no point does any of these games indicate how we're going to do in the league.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on May 30, 2019, 08:46:13 am by selby »
  When are people going to realise that we have also played league teams behind closed doors during the week such as Sheffield Wednesday Hull etc.
  It is about getting the system right and as others have said getting up to speed.
  One of the greatest international sides ever Hungary used to play works teams to get used to scoring lots of goals in games, it worked against England.

swintonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 04, 2019, 03:22:51 pm by swintonrover »
And now announced - Hull at home. Utterly predictable.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 04, 2019, 03:59:37 pm by RoversAlias »
And yet, not a single person in this thread predicted us playing Hull it seems. I really don't see the issue, it isn't like we're going to get Real Madrid or Juventus down to the Keepmoat for a pre-season game, is it?

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 04, 2019, 04:20:27 pm by jackthelad »
What do people expect? What is wrong with Hull at home?

Local side that will fetch a decentish amount of supporters for a friendly, chance to see us play at home against a team in a higher division who we've not played for a few years? I couldn't care less it's a meaningless game to get minutes into the players legs.

Should be fun for SYP mind...  :blush:

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 04, 2019, 05:28:06 pm by Alan Southstand »
Wonder if there's a link there to possible incoming loanees?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012