Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:12:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newell signs for Hibs  (Read 11561 times)

DonnyNoel

• Forum Member
Newell signs for Hibs
« on June 09, 2019, 06:21:25 pm by DonnyNoel »
As per header. Conflicting report from Millers fans so hard to judge....

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Ldr

• Forum Member
Re: Newell signs for Hibs
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2019, 06:26:34 pm by Ldr »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2019, 06:30:24 pm by Jonathan »
That’s that one then. I’m not disappointed about this one specifically - I wasn’t overly enthusiastic about the prospect of adding another wide player that doesn’t have pace. But what is a little concerning is the way this one has played out in terms of the impact on expectations. We already know that some people won’t take this well. Managing expectations is, unfortunately, part of the whole game and this one potentially makes us looks a bit daft. Is that irrecoverable? Absolutely not. Move on quickly. Personally I feel there have to be better and more suitable options out there. But we need to find them and agree terms with them.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on June 09, 2019, 06:33:22 pm by Campsall rover »
That’s that one then. I’m not disappointed about this one specifically - I wasn’t overly enthusiastic about the prospect of adding another wide player that doesn’t have pace. But what is a little concerning is the way this one has played out in terms of the impact on expectations. We already know that some people won’t take this well. Managing expectations is, unfortunately, part of the whole game and this one potentially makes us looks a bit daft. Is that irrecoverable? Absolutely not. Move on quickly. Personally I feel there have to be better and more suitable options out there. But we need to find them and agree terms with them.
If he has signed for them then he must know he is not good enough for Rovers. :byebye:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on June 09, 2019, 06:43:55 pm by DonnyOsmond »
On their OS in their shirt

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on June 09, 2019, 07:06:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
So much for plastering it in the FP! I wonder if he was one of the 4 or 5 that GM thought talks were well advanced?

Is everyone still on holiday?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on June 09, 2019, 07:06:21 pm by Dare to dream! »
Disappointing and unexpected

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on June 09, 2019, 07:10:42 pm by NewDonny »

I dont suppose he was ever on our radar, just some people putting 2 and 2 together and making the rest up!

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 09, 2019, 07:14:16 pm by Dare to dream! »

I dont suppose he was ever on our radar, just some people putting 2 and 2 together and making the rest up!

McCann admitted we were interested

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 09, 2019, 07:14:43 pm by jackthelad »
Strange that we have missed out really and disappointing to be honest.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on June 09, 2019, 07:21:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let’s be honest - none of us knew who he was before a few weeks ago and doubt any of us has seen him play. Could have been good, could have been bad - not sure we have really lost anything.

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 09, 2019, 07:23:02 pm by mushRTID »
Not arsed personally but it’s worrykng we’re missing out on targets.

ChrisBx

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on June 09, 2019, 07:34:49 pm by ChrisBx »
Missing out on the odd transfer target is pretty much inevitable at our level. Keep patient, it's only 9th June!

Drover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on June 09, 2019, 07:38:12 pm by Drover »
So much for plastering it in the FP! I wonder if he was one of the 4 or 5 that GM thought talks were well advanced?

Possibly why Grant was talking about not being held to ransom aswell?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 07:42:14 pm by Drover »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 09, 2019, 07:47:45 pm by drfchound »

Does it make us look a bit daft?
No, I don’t think so.
These things happen and I don’t think the club have officially expressed an interest in signing Newell.
The big fuss of course has been made on this site.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 09, 2019, 07:50:27 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Don’t think we should be making this so public if it wasn’t 99% done. What ever we think of DF the last few seasons we never knew about transfers till it was over the line and that’s the way it should be

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 09, 2019, 07:53:31 pm by keith79 »
He probably wanted to much money.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 09, 2019, 08:02:56 pm by NewDonny »

McCann admitted we were interested

Not sure he did tbh, I think it was suggested and he didn't deny it which is very different. In any case, its very early days, GM is on holiday so nothing is really going to progress until he's back.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 09, 2019, 08:04:59 pm by elmsallrover »
Heard Taylor's on the radar as well

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on June 09, 2019, 08:10:05 pm by since-1969 »
Which Taylor Saville  Rowe or Burtons

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on June 09, 2019, 08:10:52 pm by Alan Southstand »
Isn't he signing for Tranmere, following his house purchase in the Liverpool area?

Friendly Miller

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on June 09, 2019, 10:19:15 pm by Friendly Miller »
In my humble opinion, you’ve dodged one there.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 09, 2019, 10:35:22 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
He did sound similar to players we already have like Sadlier and Copps so not like it’s a position we’re desperate for. Also good it’s dealt with one way or the other too just need Andrew’s sorting now

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on June 09, 2019, 11:18:45 pm by idler »
He maybe just wanted more money than GM thought that he was worth.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on June 09, 2019, 11:23:09 pm by jackthelad »
He maybe just wanted more money than GM thought that he was worth.

Heard that a few times already this summer, let’s hope that’s what it is rather than us missing out.

Him going to Hibs does seem strange considering he allegedly had offers from both us and Rotherham.

Michael Shaw

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 09, 2019, 11:48:12 pm by Michael Shaw »
Being in the play-offs last season is no guarantee we will do as well next season. And we only just scraped into the top six. McCann  had some luck in that Kane and Wilks were outstanding, we had few long term injuries and when we lost certain games that we should have won our close competitors also lost the same week for an equally unknown reason. If we want to do better next season we need to strengthen the squad.

Kane and Wilks have returned and we have lost experienced players like Butler, Rowe and Marosi. Five players I would have been happy to see come in, not go out. Butler ought to have been another legend for Rovers like Copps, Rowe is a talented player, and for me personally, I think Marosi has been outstanding to get us where we were in the playoffs and yet has been under-appreciated by many fans.
McCullough, Beestin, Garratt, Mandeville, Longbottom and Kiwomya I could understand losing, but not Butler, Rowe and Marosi.

We constantly keep hearing about Peterborough, but why do we want to emulate a team that struggles to get out of League One themselves and has had less years in the Championship than Rovers? Barnsley are far more successful, but then again it's all about making money from the academy and not about the success of the first team.

As usual it is all about the budget. What team in the EFL pays every player in the club the same salary? Has McCann lost his mind? Senior players normally justify a higher salary, and when I was at work and saw a colleague, half my age, earning nearly my salary it was time for me to give up and not care. I see Joe Newell has decided to go to Hibs instead and so far we have only signed Brad Halliday from the mighty Cambridge United. It will be interesting to see how McCann pulls in Premiership and Championship quality players on the salary he wants to pay them. I don't see Rotherham, Bolton, Ipswich, Portsmouth and Sunderland quaking at what we have to offer so far. It will be interesting to see what magic McCann can perform this coming season.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 10, 2019, 12:04:24 am by Danmckay456 »
I just hope we make progress next season and don’t undo the hard work McCann did last season he needs backing this summer no question he’s moved  players on and I can understand him wanting to make more of the team his own.

I’m sure we won’t be disappointed come August

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 10, 2019, 03:13:52 am by steve@dcfd »
We have allowed players to leave in Marosi, Butler and Rowe from what was our first team squad. We need to replace them with better players. Two of our better players have returned to their parent clubs we need to replace them. That’s five at least we need just to get to the status quo of last years first team. So the plenty that were coming in is only one at the moment and we still don’t know if Andrew is signing. 3 weeks to the start of pre season training. So we wait to see who we get for a stronger squad who can help us fight for the top two.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on June 10, 2019, 05:42:12 am by roversdude »
Marosi was in the team because Lawlor was injured, Rowe started a handful of games, Butler will be a loss as he was in my opinion outstanding. Kane and Wilks granted they had talent but only blossomed under the tutelage of GM and the coaching staff, so I’m sure they can do the same again
I don’t see any reason to panic

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on June 10, 2019, 07:45:05 am by redarmy82 »

Being on holiday shouldn't be an excuse

TinyPortal © 2005-2012