Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:05:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Newell signs for Hibs  (Read 11466 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Newell signs for Hibs
« Reply #60 on June 10, 2019, 04:21:45 pm by Campsall rover »
Oh dear oh dear every summer the same.
The doom merchants are out. Panic. Panic. Panic.
Do some of you think that by 3rd August we won’t have brought in anther 5 players minimum + Danny Andrew.
Last season DF left us without notice at the end of May & McCann didn’t take over until July.
We are so much in a better place than this time last year and if my memory serves me correctly GM signed and loaned some pretty decent players with little time to spare & we had a pretty good season didn’t we.
Or did I dream it?
This, “we haven’t signed anybody” nonsense is looking extremely stupid imo and is getting very boring.

I think we need a few more than 5+Andrew. That would only give us 17 senior players which isn’t even enough to fill a bench. And that’s before the usual injuries and suspensions. I know Mccan has said he wants a smaller squad but you would think we would be looking at a 20/21 man squad minimum before using youth team players to make the numbers up. That means another 9/10 signings... very busy summer ahead

I think I have read that GM wants to work with a smaller squad this season so having 20/21 senior players is very unlikely.
I have also seen some of our posters advocating that we look to utilise some of the reserve and youth team players in the first team squad.
Exactly thats how i see it also.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 09:57:30 pm by Campsall rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on June 10, 2019, 04:48:29 pm by Alan Southstand »
That theory is ok if we have the standard of back-up in the u23 and youth team, but we havn't.

5 more signings + 3 good quality loans would have us about where we were last season and if it's less than that, I'm not sure how the manager can improve on last season's position. We havn't got to lose sight of what McCann wants this season, and he was disappointed with 6th last season! And he has promised us supporters that we will be stronger this season, so let's be patient and see what transpires.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on June 10, 2019, 04:50:45 pm by PDX_Rover »
Patience. I’d imagine everybody is working like crazy to get deals done.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on June 10, 2019, 04:56:42 pm by RoversAlias »
20/21 senior players is "very unlikely"? Not sure where anyone gets that from based on McCann saying he wants a tighter squad. He just doesn't want deadwood on the wage budget that won't ever get a game, like Longbottom, or loaned out players doing the same like Kiwomya and Mandeville. We will have 20 senior first teamers minimum I'm sure, it is the second week of June and there is months left to bring in the required players yet.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on June 10, 2019, 06:05:49 pm by Jonathan »
Let me start by saying I've every confidence in GM and the board to get it right  this season; but we're being put through the wringer again in terms of time.

Pre-season training will probably start 3 weeks today. We've lost 6 of the starters in the Charlton game, and Andrew is yet to sign. We've made one signing, a league 2 player, and have lost out on a potential marquee signing.

So let's cut a bit of slack to those of a slightly nervous disposition.
We lost out on a marquee signing ! Who says? Rotherham fans were not extatic about him last season.
Not consistent by all accounts.
We don’t need him. We will get someone else won’t we. What’s the problem. Don’t see one.

You've not been careful with your words there Campsall, because in slagging off Newell's potential, you're casting doubts about GM's judgement in wanting him in the first place, and he definitely did, because he's been quoted today as being "very disappointed".

Forgive me if I’ve missed something but where has he been quoted as saying he’s “very disappointed?” I follow him on twitter and got the impression he’s on holiday with his family. That’s not to say I’m assuming he’s not disappointed, but I’ve not seen the interview where he explains the circumstances. Everything I have seen from McCann suggests he is focussed only on players that want to play for this club and is ruthless where that’s not the case. Newell obviously wants to play for Hibs.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on June 10, 2019, 06:21:42 pm by dickos1 »
Squad wise we aren’t in a better place than this time last year, we’d already signed Anderson and Crawford and still had mason, Rowe, Butler, Marosi. We also had Mandeville and McCullough,
That’s not a moan or a negative comment it’s just a fact.
I’ve every faith in McCann he’s proving to be as good a manager as we’ve had in modern times.
He’s just going to have a very busy summer, I’ve no idea if Newell would’ve been a good signing but McCann fancies him so it’s an obvious blow but nothing drastic. We’ve still plenty of time to make signings.
5/6 weeks from now we need to have the players in, not now

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on June 10, 2019, 06:40:19 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
But this time last year we probably wanted all those players you mention replacing because they weren't very good. And did we sign Crawford this time last year i though GM only became our manager towards the end of June (might be wrong but felt like it took longer to sort)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on June 10, 2019, 07:11:38 pm by scawsby steve »
Let me start by saying I've every confidence in GM and the board to get it right  this season; but we're being put through the wringer again in terms of time.

Pre-season training will probably start 3 weeks today. We've lost 6 of the starters in the Charlton game, and Andrew is yet to sign. We've made one signing, a league 2 player, and have lost out on a potential marquee signing.

We lost out on a marquee signing ! Who says? Rotherham fans were not extatic about him last season.
We don’t need him. We will get someone else won’t we. What’s the problem. Don’t see one.

You've not been careful with your words there Campsall, because in slagging off Newell's potential, you're casting doubts about GM's judgement in wanting him in the first place, and he definitely did, because he's been quoted today as being "very disappointed".

Forgive me if I’ve missed something but where has he been quoted as saying he’s “very disappointed?” I follow him on twitter and got the impression he’s on holiday with his family. That’s not to say I’m assuming he’s not disappointed, but I’ve not seen the interview where he explains the circumstances. Everything I have seen from McCann suggests he is focussed only on players that want to play for this club and is ruthless where that’s not the case. Newell obviously wants to play for Hibs.

Sorry Jonathan, my mistake; I thought I'd read it somewhere, then I realised I'd seen it in a post by Retdon 1, who claimed someone at the club told him as such; however, without knowing the source, I accept it's unreliable.

I do however believe the DFP over the last few weeks, that we were the frontrunners for Newell's signature.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on June 10, 2019, 07:17:27 pm by dickos1 »
But this time last year we probably wanted all those players you mention replacing because they weren't very good. And did we sign Crawford this time last year i though GM only became our manager towards the end of June (might be wrong but felt like it took longer to sort)

You wanted Rowe, Butler and mason replacing because they aren’t very good?

Crawford deal was all but done but McCann had the option to pull out but he wanted him also
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:37:48 pm by dickos1 »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on June 10, 2019, 07:21:40 pm by Jonathan »

Sorry Jonathan, my mistake; I thought I'd read it somewhere, then I realised I'd seen it in a post by Retdon 1, who claimed someone at the club told him as such; however, without knowing the source, I accept it's unreliable.

I do however believe the DFP over the last few weeks, that we were the frontrunners for Newell's signature.

Fair play. I feel like some of our fans are predictably disappointed that we’ve not made a statement yet with our second summer signing. But I’d be reluctant to second guess McCann’s reaction and I doubt anyone has been texting him on his holidays. On balance I expect there’s every chance he could be disappointed in Newell’s decision, but I’m confident he and we will get over it and move on.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on June 10, 2019, 07:31:15 pm by drfchound »
That theory is ok if we have the standard of back-up in the u23 and youth team, but we havn't.

5 more signings + 3 good quality loans would have us about where we were last season and if it's less than that, I'm not sure how the manager can improve on last season's position. We havn't got to lose sight of what McCann wants this season, and he was disappointed with 6th last season! And he has promised us supporters that we will be stronger this season, so let's be patient and see what transpires.

McCann must think differently on whether some of the younger players are good enough.
He gave first team appearances to Boocock and Hasani didn’t he.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on June 10, 2019, 07:41:12 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

You wanted Rowe, Butler and mason replacing because they aren’t very good?

Crawford deal was all but done but McCann has the option to pull out but he wanted him also

No i'm saying we were hardly brilliant the season before and were miles off challenging for promotion so if we wanted to push for playoff's you'd argue that we'd need a relatively large overhaul. What i'm saying is the same people who are moaning about them leaving now were likely demanding we get better last summer. Just making light that there will be an issue with our recruitment no matter what

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on June 10, 2019, 07:54:47 pm by since-1969 »
Considering smaller squads cost less to run it does has its down side if bookings pile up or key players get injured . Last season saw a few loans coming and it WILL be the same again . We are loosing our targets on the pretext of not being  held to ransom .

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on June 10, 2019, 08:03:23 pm by drfchound »
Considering smaller squads cost less to run it does has its down side if bookings pile up or key players get injured . Last season saw a few loans coming and it WILL be the same again . We are loosing our targets on the pretext of not being  held to ransom .

But you should understand that almost all lower division clubs utilise the loan system.
All clubs will also be losing players in the summer.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on June 10, 2019, 08:18:20 pm by Retdon1 »

I was out with the misses and group of friends on Saturday and one her friends blokes works at the club. We got speaking and I asked him loads about rovers but all I got out of him was that Newell was one of Mccans main targets and he was disappointed not to get him. I see no reason not to believe him, as it’s been reported several times by the DFP that we were very interested in him. He also told me that Marquis will definitely be leaving this summer and 2 championship clubs have enquires about Whiteman.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 08:20:37 pm by Retdon1 »

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on June 10, 2019, 09:00:50 pm by Spilsby Red »
Players come, players leave, players choose other clubs over ours. Part of football. However, our club is here and we support them, through good and bad. Grant will get his players

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on June 10, 2019, 09:07:55 pm by drfchound »
Yep, and players choose our club over others.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on June 10, 2019, 10:10:29 pm by RoversAlias »
They certainly do. Whomever lines up as new Rovers signings come August will be players who want to be here at the club and we have to trust in McCann to find the right players, of the right ability. He has earned that trust in the past year I'd say, with far more hits than misses in the transfer market.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on June 10, 2019, 10:33:33 pm by Spilsby Red »
Absolutely. We have McCann

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on June 11, 2019, 06:00:00 am by Alan Southstand »
He has earned that trust in the past year I'd say, with far more hits than misses in the transfer market.

Slight exaggeration there, Alias. Check out the list of McCann's signings and, purely on numbers, I think you'll be surprised. And don't count Crawford, as DF almost had him signed before he resigned. Based on impact alone, 3 out of his 6 loan signings were mainstays, but for 2 of them it proved a bridge too far, and the other not good enough.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #80 on June 11, 2019, 06:22:32 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
It is interesting that people want players in early, quite often its later signings that have worked out well in the past.

If we dont have players in at the end of July then I'll be worried.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on June 11, 2019, 06:53:18 am by NickDRFC »
It is interesting that people want players in early, quite often its later signings that have worked out well in the past.

If we dont have players in at the end of July then I'll be worried.

That might be the case but all things being equal, it’s preferable for a signing to be in place earlier rather than later so they can have the full pre-season, build up more of a relationship with the manager and other players etc.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on June 11, 2019, 07:04:55 am by Alan Southstand »
I think this season's outgoings means that we are going to have a fair turn-over of players and it would be far from ideal if they all land at the club with pre season well underway. With a season of much greater expectation, as expected by the manager, we can't be risking players 'getting to know one another' after 5 or 6 competitive games have drifted by - we'd already be playing catch-up!

Strategically, the manager will want his permanents in asap and definately before the start of pre-season, with possibly the loan players to join after their respective pre-season's with their own clubs. At least, that is how I perceive things would happen in an ideal world. Of course, we are drfc and things don't always quite go to plan, so the manager will do his best under whatever circumstances are thrown his way.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on June 11, 2019, 07:41:17 am by Campsall rover »
I think this season's outgoings means that we are going to have a fair turn-over of players and it would be far from ideal if they all land at the club with pre season well underway. With a season of much greater expectation, as expected by the manager, we can't be risking players 'getting to know one another' after 5 or 6 competitive games have drifted by - we'd already be playing catch-up!

Strategically, the manager will want his permanents in asap and definately before the start of pre-season, with possibly the loan players to join after their respective pre-season's with their own clubs. At least, that is how I perceive things would happen in an ideal world. Of course, we are drfc and things don't always quite go to plan, so the manager will do his best under whatever circumstances are thrown his way.
You say we are DRFC and things don’t always go to plan.
We are no different to all the other 71 EFL clubs. They will have exactly the same problems as we do, and no doubt they will also have many fans worrying, and moaning about the lack of signings during the close season.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 12:40:45 pm by Campsall rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on June 11, 2019, 08:10:46 am by Alan Southstand »
I don’t much care about the other 71 other clubs, though.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on June 11, 2019, 09:36:10 am by RoversAlias »
He has earned that trust in the past year I'd say, with far more hits than misses in the transfer market.

Slight exaggeration there, Alias. Check out the list of McCann's signings and, purely on numbers, I think you'll be surprised. And don't count Crawford, as DF almost had him signed before he resigned. Based on impact alone, 3 out of his 6 loan signings were mainstays, but for 2 of them it proved a bridge too far, and the other not good enough.

I will count Crawford, since he signed two weeks after McCann was appointed. You're not telling me he had no say at all in that move, and it proved a good decision to complete the transfer.

McCann signed Wilks, Kane, Crawford, Sadlier and Downing who all played a significant role in our success this past season. Taylor was a bad move but was accepted as a gamble at the time, and was a free signing. Cummings a short-term option who did fine. Half-season loanees Anderson, Lewis and Smith did not contribute enough.

If you don't think the signings of Wilks, Kane, Sadlier and Downing are enough in one season of moderate squad turnover to give McCann your faith then I'm not sure what you expect from a manager of a club this size.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on June 11, 2019, 09:46:47 am by Alan Southstand »
Never said anything about faith. Just pointed out that you slightly exaggerated things.

Get a grip, man.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on June 11, 2019, 09:49:44 am by idler »
We don't know how many players are considering offers. The club must have been talking to players and agents. It will probably all start to happen at once.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on June 11, 2019, 09:54:24 am by dickos1 »
All managers have good signings and poor signings, but I think over recent years we’ve had a succession of managers who have succeeded greatly in signing players apart from dickov.
But Saunders, sod and Ferguson all have left us with very good players

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on June 11, 2019, 10:06:12 am by Chris Black come back »
Dickov transfer and loan record in the Championship season was largely good. His record in League One largely bad. Mixed picture.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012