Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:19:50 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Donny Boot Boys  (Read 5047 times)

Prince_Moncrieffe

• Forum Member
Donny Boot Boys
« on June 09, 2019, 08:56:08 pm by Prince_Moncrieffe »
Hello all, pleasure to make my first post on the vsc after a long time of just reading. What a great season and looking forward to the next with much anticipation. Roll on 20th June.

Was watching that old documentary about rovers , ‘They think it’s all Rovers’

Mark Weaver mentions the  Donny Boot Boys a group I’ve never heard of in the rovers history before. Anybody any stories or info regarding ? Maybe I misheard the ‘Boot boys’ but pretty sure that’s what he said...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

silent majority

• VSC Member
Re: Donny Boot Boys
« Reply #1 on June 09, 2019, 10:42:45 pm by silent majority »
Hello all, pleasure to make my first post on the vsc after a long time of just reading. What a great season and looking forward to the next with much anticipation. Roll on 20th June.

Mark Weaver mentions the  Donny Boot Boys a group I’ve never heard of in the rovers history before. Anybody any stories or info regarding ? Maybe I misheard the ‘Boot boys’ but pretty sure that’s what he said...

Your first post? It's your tenth.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on June 09, 2019, 11:11:33 pm by jackthelad »

His last 9 posts came in 2013,six years ago. So welcome back I guess.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on June 10, 2019, 05:44:21 am by roversdude »
Wasn’t it a generic term for group of DM wearing guys who liked a bit of a tear up

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on June 10, 2019, 06:11:17 am by Donnywolf »
There was even a chant dedicated to them(selves)

Bertie Mee said to Don Revie
Have you heard of the North Bank - Highbury
Don said no - I dont think so
but Ive heard of the Rovers Boot Boys

Bertie Mee Arsenals manager at the time - Revie Leeds manager at the time of course - so at least that dates the Boot Boys a little

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on June 10, 2019, 08:44:43 am by Rovers Return »
The ‘Boot Boys’ was a common term for bunch of DM wearing, mainly footy fans. A progression/leftover from the skinhead/suede head era. Most footy fans would wear DM’s and I remember a game at Belle Vue that at halftime most of the fans sat down on the terrace in the sun and there was rows and rows of DM’s. Made me smile 😃.

The song is correct except it was “Belle Vue Boot Boys”

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on June 10, 2019, 09:08:37 am by Donnywolf »
Cheers - it did not look right when I wrote it down

Tried a few different "endings" but happy to be put right  :scarf:

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on June 10, 2019, 09:32:05 am by graingrover »
I see Rovers have moved on but not everyone has kept up.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on June 10, 2019, 11:01:55 am by Herbert Anchovy »
Millwall at home circa 1981. Train pulls into Donny station from London on Saturday morning, doors flying open and hundreds of DM wearing skins pile off. In unison they begin singing ‘Millwall boot boys, Millwall boot boys, aggro, aggro’. They all went to the Railway hotel and caused mayhem. That was the first time I’d heard the term boot boys. Bloody terrified me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on June 10, 2019, 11:31:40 am by drfchound »
Just waiting for Axholme Lion now...…………………………..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on June 10, 2019, 02:41:19 pm by idler »
Millwall at home circa 1981. Train pulls into Donny station from London on Saturday morning, doors flying open and hundreds of DM wearing skins pile off. In unison they begin singing ‘Millwall boot boys, Millwall boot boys, aggro, aggro’. They all went to the Railway hotel and caused mayhem. That was the first time I’d heard the term boot boys. Bloody terrified me.
I remember walking round town one Saturday morning and the Millwall team had been staying at the Danum. They were walking near the Mansion House, I recognised Tony Cascarino and a couple more. They won 2-0 I think and this was early 80s but didn't see any fans.

Prince_Moncrieffe

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on June 10, 2019, 03:00:21 pm by Prince_Moncrieffe »
Thanks for all stories and history on Boot boys much appreciated.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on June 10, 2019, 03:55:58 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

....to blame someone else and not the Millwall angels.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on June 10, 2019, 04:13:01 pm by RobTheRover »
Here's another golden oldie you don't hear mentioned any more....

Good grief, its Prince Moncrieffe

What a player the lad was.....

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on June 10, 2019, 04:15:11 pm by Axholme Lion »

You beat us 1-0 with a last minute winner. I believe some of the chaps had a frank exchange of views on the racecourse. Different times. The 70s and 80s were the best time to be a footie fan compared to the sterile atmosphere of today.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on June 10, 2019, 06:15:23 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

You beat us 1-0 with a last minute winner. I believe some of the chaps had a frank exchange of views on the racecourse. Different times. The 70s and 80s were the best time to be a footie fan compared to the sterile atmosphere of today.

I suppose it was the best of times if you enjoyed a scrap. For those of us that didn’t it could be an absolute nightmare.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on June 10, 2019, 09:51:55 pm by RoversAlias »
My dad tells stories of being chased whilst pelted with stones and bricks at away days in the 80s, doesn't sound much fun to be honest!

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on June 10, 2019, 10:05:44 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
The stone and bottle throwing happened within grounds too, mental. You could also say it wasn't sterile.

In the 70s I recall Huddersfield ripping apart the back of the Rosso for their ammunition which cleared fans from the front of the Popside. Then in that League Cup game with Derby, their fans had the Town End and even before getting through the turnstiles had let loose a good few salvos of stones into the Popside. Lots of blood on both occasions.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on June 10, 2019, 10:15:44 pm by drfchound »
My dad tells stories of being chased whilst pelted with stones and bricks at away days in the 80s, doesn't sound much fun to be honest!

It was the same in the mid sixties too RA when I was in my mid teens.
I remember our bus windows being smashed on two or three occasions.

Spilsby Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on June 10, 2019, 10:37:00 pm by Spilsby Red »
Three of us walked back from belle vue to cantley. We were around 12 years old. Two mini buses of Lincoln fans went past. As you do, you cheer your club and mock them. They stopped. Around 24 Lincoln fans jumped out. We ran. Split up. One of us got a good kicking. These were grown men against kids.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on June 10, 2019, 10:42:46 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Perhaps Millwall could get an Arts Grant for their displays of Heritage Aggro.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on June 11, 2019, 05:32:25 am by roversdude »
I seem to recall playing Millwall united fans from different clubs, there were quite often boro fans at Belle Vue on such occasions

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on June 11, 2019, 10:28:37 am by Herbert Anchovy »

It was fairly common RA. I remember being chased at such delightful places as Halifax, Bury and Hartlepool. I remember Mansfield, Derby, Leeds and Hull trying to ‘take’ the pop side at Belle Vue. I remember being attacked at Grimsby, Lincoln, Gillingham and Walsall. At Bristol City they put the Rovers fans on a terrace with the home fans where we were surrounded by police (including a police horse on the terrace) for protection! Saying that though, I also saw Rovers fans causing bother at York, Bury, Rotherham and Peterborough to name a few. They were pretty unpleasant days to be honest and certainly nothing to get all misty eyed about.

leedshayter

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on June 11, 2019, 12:35:25 pm by leedshayter »

WOW Posting police !

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on June 11, 2019, 09:36:30 pm by Al4475 »
Not really from Sam's perspective - just stating a fact.

Sprotyrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on June 11, 2019, 10:10:39 pm by Sprotyrover »
An away day at Workington town in 1975 turned out to be interest!

1879Rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on June 13, 2019, 07:26:59 am by 1879Rovers »
The stone and bottle throwing happened within grounds too, mental. You could also say it wasn't sterile.

In the 70s I recall Huddersfield ripping apart the back of the Rosso for their ammunition which cleared fans from the front of the Popside. Then in that League Cup game with Derby, their fans had the Town End and even before getting through the turnstiles had let loose a good few salvos of stones into the Popside. Lots of blood on both occasions.

The Derby game in 76 was my first game. What an introduction to football. We arrived slightly late and my old man stood in a big gap. Police told him to move as bricks were flying from either side.

Boomstick

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on June 14, 2019, 01:15:17 pm by Boomstick »
Did donny boot boys evovle into the ddr? Or was it a different group?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on June 14, 2019, 04:18:39 pm by drfchound »
Maybe they just all grew up.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on June 14, 2019, 04:35:13 pm by Rovers Return »
Did donny boot boys evovle into the ddr? Or was it a different group?

Boot Boys would be mid to late 70's and DDR would be in the 00's I would guess so a generation of difference I would guess. Most of the 'Boot Boys are now 60 + now.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012