Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:33:13 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Cricket  (Read 5410 times)

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
Re: Cricket
« Reply #60 on July 15, 2019, 07:38:46 am by turnbull for england »
Unbelievable. Unf**kingbelievable. I don't believe in that spiritual shite but that overthrow of Stokes' bat was something eerie. Meant to be. We'll never see anything like that again. England world champions - amazing stuff.

What are the chances of an angled bit of wood deflecting a ball thrown in half way down the ground? If that was in a film it would be preposterous

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on July 15, 2019, 08:16:18 am by Donnywolf »
True - that throw hitting that bat at that angle and the ball making it to the Boundary ? Billions to one I suspect

If they made a film that bot would have to be CGI as they could never do it even if they tried

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on July 15, 2019, 08:16:44 am by drfchound »
Unbelievable. Unf**kingbelievable. I don't believe in that spiritual shite but that overthrow of Stokes' bat was something eerie. Meant to be. We'll never see anything like that again. England world champions - amazing stuff.

What are the chances of an angled bit of wood deflecting a ball thrown in half way down the ground? If that was in a film it would be preposterous

The bat of God?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on July 15, 2019, 09:03:11 am by IDM »
True - that throw hitting that bat at that angle and the ball making it to the Boundary ? Billions to one I suspect

If they made a film that bot would have to be CGI as they could never do it even if they tried

Thing is, the batsmen wouldn’t run for an accidental deflection - it’s not sporting - but if the ball goes to the boundary there’s nowt they can do..

If it was deliberate - which this wasn’t - they can be given out for obstructing the fielders..

turnbull for england

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on July 15, 2019, 09:08:08 am by turnbull for england »
Some days it's just your day.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on July 15, 2019, 09:14:08 am by drfchound »
If we had conceded that overthrow deflection and lost the game then I guess people would have just said that it is what happens to England teams.
The odd thing about supporters of English teams is that we somehow try to find a reason why we shouldn’t accept the good fortune.
Maybe that is why we don’t win so often.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on July 15, 2019, 10:15:57 am by Donnywolf »
Dead right - a complete fluke event - and they would not have run due to the "sportsmanship" within Cricket

However owt could be done because it deflected to the ropes for 4. The Batsman though had not crossed for a second run so we should have only got 5 but I for one will "take it"

Get in

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on July 15, 2019, 12:47:25 pm by GazLaz »
The final should be a 5 game series.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #68 on July 15, 2019, 12:56:25 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
5 may be too much, but 3 would I think be a good shout.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on July 15, 2019, 01:13:03 pm by jackthelad »
Not a big cricket fan but it was brilliant yesterday.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on July 15, 2019, 01:15:46 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
If we had conceded that overthrow deflection and lost the game then I guess people would have just said that it is what happens to England teams.
The odd thing about supporters of English teams is that we somehow try to find a reason why we shouldn’t accept the good fortune.

No. Not at all. It's about winning graciously. There is nothing worse than an ungracious winner.

It's perverse to get a stroke of luck of that magnitude and not acknowledge it. Or to have a game as knife edge as that and not tip your cap to the opponent's when that stroke of luck falls in your favour.

Maybe I'm a soft one, but in games like that, it barely matters who won in the end. Both sides were magnificent and played equal parts in the greatest game of all time.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on July 15, 2019, 06:49:49 pm by drfchound »

No. Not at all. It's about winning graciously. There is nothing worse than an ungracious winner.

It's perverse to get a stroke of luck of that magnitude and not acknowledge it. Or to have a game as knife edge as that and not tip your cap to the opponent's when that stroke of luck falls in your favour.

Maybe I'm a soft one, but in games like that, it barely matters who won in the end. Both sides were magnificent and played equal parts in the greatest game of all time.

........as did Federer and Djokovic.
Massive respect between them as there was between the two cricket teams.

As for the suggestion above that the cricket final should be decided over five or three matches, it would make the third game (in a series of three) or the fourth and fifth ones (in a series of five) a bit pointless if one team won the first two (or three).
Tickets would have been sold n advance for the remaining dead rubbers plus hotel and travel bookings made in advance too.
Nah, cup finals should be just that, a final decider.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on July 16, 2019, 12:21:45 am by BillyStubbsTears »
England and WC wins eh?

In 1966 it was the Azerbaijani linesman and Stalingrad and the goal that clearly shouldn't have been.

Now, it looks like the umpires f**ked up yesterday in our favour.

Apparently the 2+4 overthrows 6 was wrongly given. The Law says that you count the overthrow run plus the runs already completed or in the process of being completed if the batsmen have crossed, when the "act" occurs. The "act" not being well defined, but almost certainly meaning the throw, not the deviation by the bat.

And since Stokes and Rachid hadn't crossed when the throw was released, we should have scored 1+4. And so, ended up losing by 1 run.

England and controversy eh? Be nice to see us win summat clear and simple before I shuffle off.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #73 on July 16, 2019, 08:07:29 am by IDM »
Although had 5 runs been correctly awarded at the time, the England batsman (Rachid) facing the next ball may have attempted to play differently.

We will never know.

The umpires do make mistakes, there’s several wicket decisions they got plainly wrong but when the batting side has no reviews yet.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on July 16, 2019, 08:39:41 am by Campsall rover »
Back to Yorks match. 6 wickets needed. Somerset need 165 more runs to make Yorks bat again. Should rap a win before tea today.
Hopefully.  :clapping:
Maharaj with 9 wickets in the match so far.
How long is it since a spinner took 10 wickets in a match at Headingley? Answers on a post card please as i don’t know the answer.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 08:41:51 am by Campsall rover »

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on July 16, 2019, 12:42:05 pm by NickDRFC »
Back to Yorks match. 6 wickets needed. Somerset need 165 more runs to make Yorks bat again. Should rap a win before tea today.
Hopefully.  :clapping:
Maharaj with 9 wickets in the match so far.
How long is it since a spinner took 10 wickets in a match at Headingley? Answers on a post card please as i don’t know the answer.

I remember Graeme Swann tearing through New Zealand (around 2010?) but given he was usually more of a second innings bowled I’m not sure he’d have got 10. Can’t imagine it’s happened much in the county game - it’s been years since Yorkshire had a top spinner (honourable mention for Rashid but I don’t imagine he’s ever got 10 wickets in a match at Headingley).

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on July 16, 2019, 03:38:46 pm by scawsby steve »
Another snippet mentioned yesterday on the sports news; all 3 of England's World Cup victories, football in 1966, rugby in 2003, and cricket last Sunday, were won in overtime.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012