Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 11:07:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Replacement strikers  (Read 17756 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Replacement strikers
« Reply #120 on August 01, 2019, 06:08:17 pm by drfchound »
It wont be anyone who is a proven scorer at this level.

Neither was Marquis when he signed..

.....but we did have Andy Williams who had scored plenty of goals previously, for us and Swindon.

I don’t call 23 goals in 92 appearances “plenty of goals” for us hound !! We haven’t had a top class striker since Lewis Guy !!

I was talking about the time that Marquis came to us.

Williams was top scorer for Swindon the year before he came to us.
He was our top scorer in his first season with us and second behind Marquis in JM’s first season with us.

Hardly shoddy was it.

Also, a large number of those 92 appearances were as sub in his last season here.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on August 01, 2019, 06:17:42 pm by Jonathan »
I wonder how likely we are to get news on the replacement strikers before the weekend? If reports are to be believed then negotiations began earlier in the week and fees are already agreed. You’d have to hope that talks over personal terms are being conducted with some sense of urgency given the position the squad is in.

It’s obviously pleasing to hear of progress, because if you’d said after the final whistle at Charlton that the squad would look like this on August 1st, I don’t think anyone would have wanted to believe you.

There’s time to pull it round, but as close seasons go it’s been pretty terrible so far - that’s my honest assessment. And that isn’t a dig at the club, we weren’t to know that our manager would oversee the decimation of the squad and then leave us in the lurch. We got Darren Moore in the end which is a testament to the owners and I think we’re all delighted with that. But he’s been thrown into a difficult situation and the state of the squad right now is nowhere near strong enough to meet the aim.

Let’s hope that starts to change significantly within hours.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 01, 2019, 06:20:13 pm by RoversAlias »
Evans is not for me to be honest. Nothing to do with the court case, but the way he conducts himself on the pitch. He was a total cock-end in that 0-4 against Fleetwood last season, and not in the same way Marquis was for us. Does score goals, good physicality but he's 30 years old now and I feel he was only as successful as he was last season due to the style of play/attitude installed by Joey Barton. It will not be the same here, in fact it'll be the total opposite.

That all said, if we sign him I will get behind him as I would most who pull on the Rovers shirt. But I wouldn't be keen to bring him here.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on August 01, 2019, 06:32:19 pm by Dare to dream! »
I wonder how likely we are to get news on the replacement strikers before the weekend? If reports are to be believed then negotiations began earlier in the week and fees are already agreed. You’d have to hope that talks over personal terms are being conducted with some sense of urgency given the position the squad is in.

It’s obviously pleasing to hear of progress, because if you’d said after the final whistle at Charlton that the squad would look like this on August 1st, I don’t think anyone would have wanted to believe you.

There’s time to pull it round, but as close seasons go it’s been pretty terrible so far - that’s my honest assessment. And that isn’t a dig at the club, we weren’t to know that our manager would oversee the decimation of the squad and then leave us in the lurch. We got Darren Moore in the end which is a testament to the owners and I think we’re all delighted with that. But he’s been thrown into a difficult situation and the state of the squad right now is nowhere near strong enough to meet the aim.

Let’s hope that starts to change significantly within hours.

DM said bids were accepted but personal terms/agreement of players to sign wasn’t. I would therefore assume next week would be more likely.

The two from Wolves are expected to sign tomorrow.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on August 01, 2019, 06:34:28 pm by pib »
So if my understanding is correct, we’re hoping to land the two from Wolves, the two forwards we’ve got bids in for, plus Baptiste and Ward?

Obviously without knowing anything about four of them the quality can’t be judged, but if we could get that lot finalised it would give us decent numbers at least.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on August 01, 2019, 06:36:52 pm by dknward2 »
So could be 6 players in within the next week that would be some turnaround

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on August 01, 2019, 06:52:36 pm by DonnyOsmond »

4 of them hopefully tomorrow.

redbrez

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on August 01, 2019, 07:09:34 pm by redbrez »
Liam Boyce?

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on August 01, 2019, 07:11:34 pm by Dare to dream! »
Liam Boyce?

Good player but 28 and injury prone. Not for me.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on August 01, 2019, 07:15:52 pm by Retdon1 »

I’m guessing Ward, Baptist plus the 2 young lads from wolves will all be confirmed tomorrow morning. Then outside chance for tomorrow if not early next week for the 2 strikers we have had bids accepted for

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on August 01, 2019, 07:21:16 pm by DonnyOsmond »

I’m guessing Ward, Baptist plus the 2 young lads from wolves will all be confirmed tomorrow morning. Then outside chance for tomorrow if not early next week for the 2 strikers we have had bids accepted for

Yeah, that's the hope. thing is Moore also mentioned someone different at CM. So there may be a 7th we're in talks with.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on August 01, 2019, 07:28:25 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Just thinking with all that we'd definitely have enough numbers up front, in defence and at CM but perhaps we could add one more in the 3 behind the striker, such as an Oztumer.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on August 01, 2019, 07:33:09 pm by NewDonny »
It we knew which I am sure we did that Marquis was off why didn't we go for someone like Tyler Walker earlier in the summer if we had funds available and get a replacement in for Marquis before his departure.. that would have been better management.. granted the old McCsnn saga left us high and dry but surely we could have been in for a main striker or two on knowing Wilks had left and Marquis was about to..

As a club, we don't seem to forward plan. Everything is done as a reaction to something happening.

What you mean baking the money before spending it, lol.

Christ, some people on here are so deluded!

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on August 01, 2019, 07:36:33 pm by Alickismyhero »
Just thinking with all that we'd definitely have enough numbers up front, in defence and at CM but perhaps we could add one more in the 3 behind the striker, such as an Oztumer.

I would like to get Oztumer here  because the times I have seen him play he has been brilliant, against us.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on August 01, 2019, 07:38:54 pm by the vicar »
Evans is not for me to be honest. Nothing to do with the court case, but the way he conducts himself on the pitch. He was a total cock-end in that 0-4 against Fleetwood last season, and not in the same way Marquis was for us. Does score goals, good physicality but he's 30 years old now and I feel he was only as successful as he was last season due to the style of play/attitude installed by Joey Barton. It will not be the same here, in fact it'll be the total opposite.

That all said, if we sign him I will get behind him as I would most who pull on the Rovers shirt. But I wouldn't be keen to bring him here.
some players do there best to wind up the opposition and fans, just like willks did for us that is exactly what he did and they will do anything to get the upper hand, so if he came to us he would do the same for us, just like willks and we loved him for what he did
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 07:44:58 pm by the vicar »

TreborRover

« Reply #135 on August 01, 2019, 07:46:14 pm by TreborRover »

.....but we did have Andy Williams who had scored plenty of goals previously, for us and Swindon.

I don’t call 23 goals in 92 appearances “plenty of goals” for us hound !! We haven’t had a top class striker since Lewis Guy !!

He was our top scorer in his first season with us and second behind Marquis in JM’s first season with us.

Hardly shoddy was it.

Also, a large number of those 92 appearances were as sub in his last season here.

What we need is a natural predator like a billy sharp. They come with a price tag but surely a striker of this caliber is worth a gamble money wise. For a good few seasons now we have been a team that buckled in the final third, causing coppinger to try and create things he isn’t capable of due to his complete lack of ability, like trying to cut inside and take players on. He just has nowhere near enough skill to do this.
Top and bottom, money needs to be spent on a quality out and out striker !

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on August 01, 2019, 07:46:22 pm by dknward2 »
Don't forget guys and girls this is all a smoke screen the board are just gonna pocket the 2 million from marquis 😉

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on August 01, 2019, 08:12:18 pm by the vicar »
If they are putting money in every year they have the right to do that but they won't

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on August 01, 2019, 08:23:41 pm by Chris Black come back »
Mixed bag with ‘proven record’ etc strikers.

Barnes, Blundell, Sharp all did the business.

Jackson, Alford, Williams did not.

Likewise Marquis, Mike Jeffrey, and Duerden had mixed prior form to say the least.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on August 01, 2019, 08:25:34 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Don't forget Leo.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on August 01, 2019, 08:30:49 pm by Michael Gibson »
Destination championship let’s sign someone who’s been injured and played 1 first team game!!! Absolutely shambolic, RATSO!!!

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on August 01, 2019, 08:33:00 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Williams was a weird one he did score goals and tried hard but will mostly be remembered as not been good. Think he got unlucky really. Just shows going out and getting the "best available" isn't a guarantee of success, we all know that anyway i guess just another example

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on August 01, 2019, 08:35:49 pm by drfchound »

Hardly shoddy was it.

What we need is a natural predator like a billy sharp. They come with a price tag but surely a striker of this caliber is worth a gamble money wise. For a good few seasons now we have been a team that buckled in the final third, causing coppinger to try and create things he isn’t capable of due to his complete lack of ability, like trying to cut inside and take players on. He just has nowhere near enough skill to do this.

Your post lost all credibility when you said Coppinger can’t create things due to his complete lack of ability.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on August 01, 2019, 08:37:01 pm by dickos1 »
Destination championship let’s sign someone who’s been injured and played 1 first team game!!! Absolutely shambolic, RATSO!!!

😂😂
What a wally

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on August 01, 2019, 08:39:09 pm by Chris Black come back »
Williams was a weird one he did score goals and tried hard but will mostly be remembered as not been good. Think he got unlucky really. Just shows going out and getting the "best available" isn't a guarantee of success, we all know that anyway i guess just another example

It was about 1 in 4 in the league - admittedly many appearances were subs. He scored nearly half his league goals in that season in League Two, which was clearly an absolute disgrace that we were in there.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 08:50:12 pm by Chris Black come back »

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on August 01, 2019, 08:48:09 pm by Rovers91 »
Quite excited to see what recruitment we do with Moore saying defence needs strengthening, attack needs strengthening and a midfielder as well. Saying exactly what the fans think and with us on verge of bringing players in sounds promising.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on August 01, 2019, 08:51:03 pm by Campsall rover »
Tyler Walker was on £6k at Mansfield

Just shows, what we offer is peanuts.

It's about time we started offering the going rate for players.
What’s the going rate? Are you going to put your hand in your pocket then?
Seem so keen to put the club in financial turmoil. Our owners are already putting in 2 million + to balance the books every season.
Easy spending other people’s money isn’t it.
You need to get real. If you continually spend more than you bring in then you will eventually end up like Bolton and Bury.
Can I ask, do you not understand that?

TreborRover

« Reply #147 on August 01, 2019, 09:25:34 pm by TreborRover »

Hardly shoddy was it.

Your post lost all credibility when you said Coppinger can’t create things due to his complete lack of ability.

You not agree ?

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on August 01, 2019, 10:19:25 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Tyler Walker was on £6k at Mansfield

Just shows, what we offer is peanuts.

It's about time we started offering the going rate for players.
What’s the going rate? Are you going to put your hand in your pocket then?
Seem so keen to put the club in financial turmoil. Our owners are already putting in 2 million + to balance the books every season.
Easy spending other people’s money isn’t it.
You need to get real. If you continually spend more than you bring in then you will eventually end up like Bolton and Bury.
Can I ask, do you not understand that?

This exactly. Bury paid the "going rate" for lots of top end players to get promoted for a number of years and now they may not start the season. Not sure why i or anyone else bothers responding to these comments anymore either it's an argument that can't be won.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on August 02, 2019, 12:20:59 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Let's not go near Ched Evans.
why not go near evens

That boy Ched Evans
He scores when he wants.
Got a feeling he's going to sign for Bolton once their takeover is confirmed tomorrow morning. Hope I'm wrong.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012