Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:25:17 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23085 times)

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
Striker search
« Reply #1 on August 11, 2019, 12:59:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-darren-moore-has-his-sights-set-on-one-striker-489510

Loanee from a Premier League club. They mention the club being being reluctant due to backup for injuries which means it won't be Clarke as he wasn't in their 25 man squad, probably would be be an U21.

Slightly disappointed with this short termism were showing recently.

pib

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #2 on August 11, 2019, 01:01:23 pm by pib »
So we've gone from potentially two permanent forwards to one loanee?

Forgive me for being slightly disappointed and concerned about our transfer policy.

What happened to using the Marquis money? We need to be building a squad with potential for the future, not one full of stop-gaps that will need replacing again in less than a year's time.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: Striker search
« Reply #3 on August 11, 2019, 01:02:31 pm by Retdon1 »
What’s happened to the marquis money. We should be using it to buy our own striker who we can develop and build the side around, not another young lad who potentially will only be here for 4/5 months.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 11, 2019, 01:02:59 pm by Retdon1 »
What’s happened to the marquis money. We should be using it to buy our own striker who we can develop and build the side around, not another young lad who potentially will only be here for 4/5 months.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 11, 2019, 01:04:01 pm by RoversAlias »
Unless Moore is displaying more reticence in what he tells the press (highly likely to be fair), we've gone from signing two strikers for fees to one striker on loan. It isn't acceptable to replace Marquis with a loanee, we got over a million pounds for him. You're not telling me there isn't anybody out there we can tempt to come to Donny.

As I say, hopefully he's just being coy with the media again.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 11, 2019, 01:04:18 pm by Metalmicky »
Mods please delete.........already posted in another thread

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 11, 2019, 01:04:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-darren-moore-has-his-sights-set-on-one-striker-489510‬

Going off DM comments in that article I would suggest it is Leon Clarke.

Clarke isn't available as backup for them though, so doesn't fit in there.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 11, 2019, 01:08:57 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Mods please delete.........already posted in another thread

Or merge as I've given a reason why it probably won't be Clarke unlike the other one? Only way it's Clarke if they want him backup for cup games.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 11, 2019, 01:12:44 pm by RoversAlias »
Threads have been merged now.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 11, 2019, 01:13:42 pm by IDM »
I read that article..

NOWHERE does it say that this potential loanee from the premier league would be the ONLY signing.

Yes it implies this is an immediate priority over the next few days, but not that this is the absolute last signing.

Now I have no idea how many others he may or may not be looking at, and to buy using the Marquis money, but the article doesn’t mean he’s not doing that either..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 11, 2019, 01:14:55 pm by dickos1 »
Not just the marquis money though, we had money available before we sold marquis

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 11, 2019, 01:17:00 pm by Retdon1 »
Not just the marquis money though, we had money available before we sold marquis

So we keep being told yet non our previous or current manager seem to want to use it

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 11, 2019, 01:19:04 pm by DonnyOsmond »

So we keep being told yet non our previous or current manager seem to want to use it

Didn't SM say we used up all the budget last season?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on August 11, 2019, 01:19:27 pm by Jonathan »
It’s all very confusing. How can we sell our top scorer and then embark on a season where we don’t have a single striker on the books of the club? It’s terrible forward planning. Selling Marquis was supposed to help us strengthen and develop the team. All we seem to be doing is plugging gaps with short term fixes.

Dare to dream!

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 11, 2019, 01:22:59 pm by Dare to dream! »
We are a loss making business and cutting our cloth accordingly.

I’m personally comfortable with the money in the bank and a loan striker to cover Sailder and Ennis.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 11, 2019, 01:23:14 pm by IDM »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

Why do fans think it is easy to find and sign players.?

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 11, 2019, 01:24:36 pm by Retdon1 »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

Other clubs don’t leave them selfs without a striker to start a season though

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 11, 2019, 01:25:16 pm by southwestexile »
Can we buy anyone? I thought the transfer window had passed

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 11, 2019, 01:26:36 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

It’s pretty much unavoidable when your striker leaves a week before the season starts AND your former Manager nips in to sign the replacements before our new manager is in place!!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on August 11, 2019, 01:26:59 pm by IDM »

Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on August 11, 2019, 01:27:55 pm by IDM »
Can we buy anyone? I thought the transfer window had passed

Early September for league 1 and 2..

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 11, 2019, 01:28:37 pm by southwestexile »
IF we got a loanee striker of the Herbie quality I’d be thrilled to bits

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on August 11, 2019, 01:29:53 pm by Retdon1 »

Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

Everyone knew marquis would leave this summer. We have had more than enough time to draw up a list of targets. Now 2 weeks into the season we are now going to rely on a loan player to replace him. I could understand if we had no money to spend but we have and a sizeable amount too.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on August 11, 2019, 01:31:43 pm by keith79 »
Can Herbie play as a striker.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 11, 2019, 01:33:04 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Everyone knew marquis would leave this summer. We have had more than enough time to draw up a list of targets. Now 2 weeks into the season we are now going to rely on a loan player to replace him. I could understand if we had no money to spend but we have and a sizeable amount too.

We DID have a list of targets!!! However this list became redundant as soon as GM left!!

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on August 11, 2019, 01:34:46 pm by Rovers91 »
Maybe hes just not wanting to give too much away to the press, he kept the Taylor signing very low key so hopefully that's just how he likes to do his business.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on August 11, 2019, 01:35:55 pm by RedJ »

We DID have a list of targets!!! However this list became redundant as soon as GM left!!

Almost as if different managers want to sign different sets of players, isn't it...

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on August 11, 2019, 01:36:40 pm by the vicar »

IDM an you remember the club saying DM has a black book full of players and contacts and loads of friends in the game that will help him, so is it a fib or is it true cos there is nothing coming from it at all

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on August 11, 2019, 01:37:01 pm by pib »

Nobody said it was easy, but I'm struggling to think of many other clubs that find it THIS difficult. Especially when we're being told all summer long that the money is there, the Marquis money is to be re-invested, the signings are lined up and ready to go etc.

I'm not one for disbelieving the positive noises coming out of the club, but now I'm really beginning to wonder. Something is not adding up and we seem to be very much lacking in direction.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012