Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:57:40 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23089 times)

since-1969

• VSC Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #30 on August 11, 2019, 01:37:33 pm by since-1969 »
We are a loss making business and cutting our cloth accordingly.

I’m personally comfortable with the money in the bank and a loan striker to cover Sailder and Ennis.
46 points it is then

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on August 11, 2019, 01:39:23 pm by IDM »
Maybe hes just not wanting to give too much away to the press, he kept the Taylor signing very low key so hopefully that's just how he likes to do his business.

Precisely..

It was the same with Dieng too..

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 11, 2019, 01:41:10 pm by Copps is Magic »
Its hard to make out what is going on at the rovers.
We started with an almost bouncing Gavin Baldwin saying Moore has got a little black book, and we're making the funds available to sign A, B and C.
Marquis leaves.
We're told 100% of that money will be reinvested in the squad.
We put bids in for two players - that has now obviously now fallen through. We're on at least plan B, maybe even plan C (fine this happens in football)
Sign Taylor - not clear if this is one of the black books signings, or Marquis money (lines become very blurry at this point).
Now we're told the main striker target is another loanee from the premiership.
We've already got 4 loan players. 

Either Baptiste and Taylor talked themselves into extremely lucrative contracts or there is some massive holes in the finances.
An extra loan player would leave us with 5 loan players in and around the first team squad. Its not every day we get a cash injection like we got from the Marquis transfer, and to neglect to forward plan and target, and invest in, a young up-and-coming forward of our own would be hugely disappointing.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 11, 2019, 01:41:34 pm by the vicar »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

Why do fans think it is easy to find and sign players.?

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

Other clubs don’t leave them selfs without a striker to start a season though

Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

Everyone knew marquis would leave this summer. We have had more than enough time to draw up a list of targets. Now 2 weeks into the season we are now going to rely on a loan player to replace him. I could understand if we had no money to spend but we have and a sizeable amount too.

We DID have a list of targets!!! However this list became redundant as soon as GM left!!
OK out goes one list in comes another, or should do

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on August 11, 2019, 01:41:54 pm by IDM »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..
IDM an you remember the club saying DM has a black book full of players and contacts and loads of friends in the game that will help him, so is it a fib or is it true cos there is nothing coming from it at all

Maybe some of his targets don’t want to come or their clubs won’t let them go.. maybe having assessed the squad, DM thinks some of those players won’t fit.

Maybe he’s still trying with others..

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on August 11, 2019, 01:44:48 pm by IDM »

Nobody said it was easy, but I'm struggling to think of many other clubs that find it THIS difficult. Especially when we're being told all summer long that the money is there, the Marquis money is to be re-invested, the signings are lined up and ready to go etc.

I'm not one for disbelieving the positive noises coming out of the club, but now I'm really beginning to wonder. Something is not adding up and we seem to be very much lacking in direction.

Did you come to that conclusion when Taylor signed completely unexpected (to supporters).?

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 11, 2019, 01:45:22 pm by southwestexile »
Early days as yet. Given pre-season, anything mid table would do this year but I just can’t shake this feeling that we’ll be going up

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on August 11, 2019, 01:46:50 pm by Padge_DRFC »
It's all getting a bit boring now. Can't wait for the window to close.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 11, 2019, 01:49:01 pm by Jonathan »
We are a loss making business and I think it’s totally understandable if the money we got for Marquis is used to offset the operating deficit. But if that is to be the case then the management of expectations hasn’t been very good.

There’s been talk of money to spend, and using any sales to strengthen the team and develop the squad, but the reality just doesn’t seem to be happening. Instead it appears from reading that article that we’ll go for the cheaper fix and develop a player for someone else to benefit from in the long run. Certainly seems unconventional to develop a team without having any strikers contract to the club. Maybe we are pioneers! 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 01:51:26 pm by Jonathan »

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 11, 2019, 01:50:29 pm by RedJ »

IDM an you remember the club saying DM has a black book full of players and contacts and loads of friends in the game that will help him, so is it a fib or is it true cos there is nothing coming from it at all

So cos he hasn't signed the players you want immediately it's all lies to con the fans again.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 11, 2019, 01:51:12 pm by the vicar »

Maybe some of his targets don’t want to come or their clubs won’t let them go.. maybe having assessed the squad, DM thinks some of those players won’t fit.

a lot of ifs and buts there IDM, I think we need to show the fans we mean business

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on August 11, 2019, 01:52:37 pm by IDM »
We are a loss making business and I think it’s totally understandable if the money we got for Marquis is used to offset the operating deficit. But if that is to be the case then the management of expectations hasn’t been very good.

There’s been talk of money to spend, and using any sales to strengthen the team and develop the squad, but the reality just doesn’t seem to be happening. Instead it appears from reading that article that we’ll go for the cheaper fix and develop a player for someone else to benefit from in the long run. Certainly seems unconventional to develop a team without having any strikers contract to the club. Maybe we are pioneers! 

what makes you think this will be the last signing.?

I’m not saying it will or won’t be, as I don’t know, but some folks clearly think we won’t get anyone else.!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 11, 2019, 01:53:28 pm by IDM »

a lot of ifs and buts there IDM, I think we need to show the fans we mean business

So what did the signing of Taylor tell us.?

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 11, 2019, 01:54:10 pm by the vicar »

So cos he hasn't signed the players you want immediately it's all lies to con the fans again.
sorry I did not realise you had changed your name IDM, and for your information I never used the word lies or cons did I just get your facts correct before chelping

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 11, 2019, 01:55:07 pm by RedJ »

sorry I did not realise you had changed your name IDM, and for your information I never used the word lies or cons did I just get your facts correct before chelping

So you're telling me a fib isn't essentially the same thing as a lie? :laugh:

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on August 11, 2019, 01:55:32 pm by the vicar »
Not a great lot according to the Rotherscum Fans

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on August 11, 2019, 01:56:23 pm by RedJ »
Not a great lot according to the Rotherscum Fans

Cos fans are never bitter towards players who've left, especially to their biggest rivals... :silly:

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 11, 2019, 01:56:52 pm by the vicar »
No there are not you door handle

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on August 11, 2019, 01:57:51 pm by Pliskin »
I agree with the current scepticism of the club's transfer policy, if one exists.

Despite the good work that the club has done to improve its non-football operations, the way the football side of things are run still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sanctioning the sale of your only proven striker days before the season begins, without being pretty damn certain that an able replacement will be coming in sharpish, seems like a poor move. Especially having known all through the summer that he'd likely be off. How can something like this have seemingly taken the club by surprise?

I'm not keen on targeting more loan signings, we have plenty already. We ought to be investing the money in replacing one saleable asset with one or two more to keep the cycle going in the future.

I don't have a problem with loan signings to boost the squad, but an over reliance on loans players can be a problem. If 3/4 of your core first team players leave at the end of their loan period, add in a few more players whose contracts expire and move on (e.g. Rowe, Andrew) then that leaves you with a lot of work to do every summer before you can even start to think on improving from last year.

I obviously want the club to succeed, but the current strategy feels worryingly reactive and short-termist.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on August 11, 2019, 01:58:32 pm by the vicar »
There again I never said that ether, is this a day where you are going to get everything wrong not having a good day are you

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 11, 2019, 02:00:49 pm by IDM »

So what did the signing of Taylor tell us.?

Bump.. waiting for an answer..

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 11, 2019, 02:03:08 pm by the vicar »
Anyway are you IDM,s ROTTWEILER. this had nothing to do with you anyway it was for IDM and was not meant in any malice to him just a poin of view but you had to make an argument oh a simple question oh dear me lol

swifty50

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 11, 2019, 02:03:17 pm by swifty50 »
From my reading of the article, one in now, one to follow and players in other positions also to follow.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on August 11, 2019, 02:06:16 pm by the vicar »
No Taylor does not mean anything IF he was not one of his little black dook contacts, and if he is then again it means nothing as he said the contacts were better or as good as JM

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on August 11, 2019, 02:09:20 pm by IDM »
Signing Taylor demonstrates that manager and the club have been looking for quality player additions - also that fans don’t necessarily know what’s happening behind the scenes..

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 11, 2019, 02:09:57 pm by Metalmicky »
It’s all very confusing. How can we sell our top scorer and then embark on a season where we don’t have a single striker on the books of the club? It’s terrible forward planning. Selling Marquis was supposed to help us strengthen and develop the team. All we seem to be doing is plugging gaps with short term fixes.

I see what you did there...... :)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 11, 2019, 02:10:37 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I agree with the current scepticism of the club's transfer policy, if one exists.

Despite the good work that the club has done to improve its non-football operations, the way the football side of things are run still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sanctioning the sale of your only proven striker days before the season begins, without being pretty damn certain that an able replacement will be coming in sharpish, seems like a poor move. Especially having known all through the summer that he'd likely be off. How can something like this have seemingly taken the club by surprise?

I'm not keen on targeting more loan signings, we have plenty already. We ought to be investing the money in replacing one saleable asset with one or two more to keep the cycle going in the future.

I don't have a problem with loan signings to boost the squad, but an over reliance on loans players can be a problem. If 3/4 of your core first team players leave at the end of their loan period, add in a few more players whose contracts expire and move on (e.g. Rowe, Andrew) then that leaves you with a lot of work to do every summer before you can even start to think on improving from last year.

I obviously want the club to succeed, but the current strategy feels worryingly reactive and short-termist.

Short termist and reactive?? That’s what people in here are criticising the club for NOT being!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 11, 2019, 02:12:41 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Other clubs don’t leave them selfs without a striker to start a season though

Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

Everyone knew marquis would leave this summer. We have had more than enough time to draw up a list of targets. Now 2 weeks into the season we are now going to rely on a loan player to replace him. I could understand if we had no money to spend but we have and a sizeable amount too.

We DID have a list of targets!!! However this list became redundant as soon as GM left!!
OK out goes one list in comes another, or should do

Yes exactly, But some folk think we should go out and buy the first player who comes to mind! Utterly ridiculous!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 11, 2019, 02:16:46 pm by the vicar »
Signing Taylor demonstrates that manager and the club have been looking for quality player additions - also that fans don’t necessarily know what’s happening behind the scenes..
now be a good boy you know I was talking about his black book what him and Gavin were talking about

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 11, 2019, 02:17:17 pm by dickos1 »
Not just the marquis money though, we had money available before we sold marquis

So we keep being told yet non our previous or current manager seem to want to use it

Didn't SM say we used up all the budget last season?

Last season yes
Look at all the wages that have left the club since then

TinyPortal © 2005-2012