Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:11:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: ‘Mystery striker’ update  (Read 23088 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: ‘Mystery striker’ update
« Reply #60 on August 11, 2019, 02:19:18 pm by the vicar »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

Why do fans think it is easy to find and sign players.?

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

Other clubs don’t leave them selfs without a striker to start a season though

Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

Everyone knew marquis would leave this summer. We have had more than enough time to draw up a list of targets. Now 2 weeks into the season we are now going to rely on a loan player to replace him. I could understand if we had no money to spend but we have and a sizeable amount too.

We DID have a list of targets!!! However this list became redundant as soon as GM left!!
OK out goes one list in comes another, or should do

Yes exactly, But some folk think we should go out and buy the first player who comes to mind! Utterly ridiculous!
well I'm not one of them HA but when someone tells you something you expect them to try and stick to it

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on August 11, 2019, 02:19:58 pm by dickos1 »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
How anyone can argue against this being very poor planning is beyond me

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on August 11, 2019, 02:20:21 pm by IDM »
Signing Taylor demonstrates that manager and the club have been looking for quality player additions - also that fans don’t necessarily know what’s happening behind the scenes..
now be a good boy you know I was talking about his black book what him and Gavin were talking about

That’s irrelevant - you raised the point about the club meaning business.. I pointed out that signing Taylor shows just that..

Herman Hessian

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 11, 2019, 02:20:38 pm by Herman Hessian »
Who says we weren’t trying.? Should we et someone to make up the numbers, or take a bit more time to get the right ones.?

christ on a bike, some common sense at last !

the 'for f**k's sake just sign anyone, now, because I have the patience of a three year old and want new shiny things immediately or i'm going to continually whine like a spoiled brat' t**ts need to calm down a bit and realise that there are three full weeks from now until the League One deadline

similarly, anyone who is of the opinion that a measured, thoughtful approach to what should turn out to be the most significant signing of the season is somehow in contravention of any stated long term ambition is also beyond stupid and needs to give themselves a shake

but then i guess i'm forgetting that DM has already wasted 20% of the ten game window after which 'people are going to be making up their minds about him', so maybe he should just spend £850k on someone from Frickley and have done with it - hurrah !

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on August 11, 2019, 02:21:49 pm by the vicar »
Fact is we shouldn’t have let marquis go if we didn’t have someone lined up and ready to sign.
I think we had to let him go as he did not want to be here

Pliskin

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 11, 2019, 02:26:09 pm by Pliskin »
I agree with the current scepticism of the club's transfer policy, if one exists.

Despite the good work that the club has done to improve its non-football operations, the way the football side of things are run still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sanctioning the sale of your only proven striker days before the season begins, without being pretty damn certain that an able replacement will be coming in sharpish, seems like a poor move. Especially having known all through the summer that he'd likely be off. How can something like this have seemingly taken the club by surprise?

I'm not keen on targeting more loan signings, we have plenty already. We ought to be investing the money in replacing one saleable asset with one or two more to keep the cycle going in the future.

I don't have a problem with loan signings to boost the squad, but an over reliance on loans players can be a problem. If 3/4 of your core first team players leave at the end of their loan period, add in a few more players whose contracts expire and move on (e.g. Rowe, Andrew) then that leaves you with a lot of work to do every summer before you can even start to think on improving from last year.

I obviously want the club to succeed, but the current strategy feels worryingly reactive and short-termist.

Short termist and reactive?? That’s what people in here are criticising the club for NOT being!

Your point being what exactly?

To reiterate, I agree with the following criticisms of the club:

a) Not being proactive in identifying and working to bring in Marquis replacements in good time despite knowing for months that he'd be going.
b) Seemingly prioritising short term solutions rather than investing in the next saleable asset.

Both of which have been discussed in this thread. Do you disagree with them?

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 11, 2019, 02:37:10 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
I agree with the current scepticism of the club's transfer policy, if one exists.

Despite the good work that the club has done to improve its non-football operations, the way the football side of things are run still leaves a lot to be desired.

Sanctioning the sale of your only proven striker days before the season begins, without being pretty damn certain that an able replacement will be coming in sharpish, seems like a poor move. Especially having known all through the summer that he'd likely be off. How can something like this have seemingly taken the club by surprise?

I'm not keen on targeting more loan signings, we have plenty already. We ought to be investing the money in replacing one saleable asset with one or two more to keep the cycle going in the future.

I don't have a problem with loan signings to boost the squad, but an over reliance on loans players can be a problem. If 3/4 of your core first team players leave at the end of their loan period, add in a few more players whose contracts expire and move on (e.g. Rowe, Andrew) then that leaves you with a lot of work to do every summer before you can even start to think on improving from last year.

I obviously want the club to succeed, but the current strategy feels worryingly reactive and short-termist.

Short termist and reactive?? That’s what people in here are criticising the club for NOT being!

Your point being what exactly?

To reiterate, I agree with the following criticisms of the club:

a) Not being proactive in identifying and working to bring in Marquis replacements in good time despite knowing for months that he'd be going.
b) Seemingly prioritising short term solutions rather than investing in the next saleable asset.

Both of which have been discussed in this thread. Do you disagree with them?

What I’m confused by is how you can accuse the club of short-termism. If that was the case surely we’d have bought the first striker available? Secondly, you’re accusing the club of not being pro active re Marquis replacement. If you’d read the whole thread you’ll see that we DID have a shortlist of potential replacements that was formulated should JM decide to leave, which wasn’t known for sure until after the Charlton game by the way. However this list, created with GM, was redundant as soon as GM left! So, all the planning that had taken place before hand was meaningless and it was back to the drawing board. So, with this in mind how about sharing with us exactly what the club should have done differently?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on August 11, 2019, 02:37:29 pm by steve@dcfd »
Not just the marquis money though, we had money available before we sold marquis

So we keep being told yet non our previous or current manager seem to want to use it

Didn't SM say we used up all the budget last season?

Last season yes
Look at all the wages that have left the club since then

The problem DF and GB will have to sign permanent players or player will wages and length of contract.
So we are endeavouring to bring better players their wages I’m my opinion will be more than what John was on. From the Championship with pedigree they were bound to be. DM is a good manager he has looked at the squad and development understudies and realised he needs better for the squad. He has tried to get in proven permanent strikers and it appears agreements could not be made. Little black book do not pay wages or length of contract. GM was altering his stance week by week while he was here. Stronger squad, tried to resign players failed he wanted to reduce their terms. Others left due financial or family reasons.
He wanted a GK and CH nearly had them over the line went on holiday didn’t get them at that time, put them on back burner.
Tried to sign Newell failed to get that over the line.
So we are where we are now and even though we have lost John signing his replacement was never ever going to be easy if you want quality in a striker. GMs replacement for him went with him to Hull.

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 11, 2019, 02:37:50 pm by DonnyOsmond »
"We're after two strikers with similar or better records than Marquis".

Doubt this loanee has a record anywhere near Marquis.

Danmckay456

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 11, 2019, 02:38:30 pm by Danmckay456 »
Look at the bench we had Longbottom And Kiwomya on it that speaks volumes to me we don’t have the quality or the strength in depth and the board have given a bigger budget than last season that is complete garbage how is this seasons squad on more money than last season

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on August 11, 2019, 02:43:05 pm by IDM »
Look at the bench we had Longbottom And Kiwomya on it that speaks volumes to me we don’t have the quality or the strength in depth and the board have given a bigger budget than last season that is complete garbage how is this seasons squad on more money than last season

The squad isn’t finished yet..

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 11, 2019, 02:45:23 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

We’re still building the squad!!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 11, 2019, 02:46:23 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Longbottom is home grown too, so he ticks off that box.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 11, 2019, 02:57:08 pm by Donnybax »
Our recruitment really is very very poor

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 11, 2019, 02:57:38 pm by esdailles left foot »
Maybe the manager hasn’t found the ideal player to purchase yet, or negotiations are on going..

And I say again, that article does not say this would be the end of the signings..

It’s pretty much unavoidable when your striker leaves a week before the season starts AND your former Manager nips in to sign the replacements before our new manager is in place!!

That is why you set a contingency plan for all eventualities

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 11, 2019, 02:58:02 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Why?

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #76 on August 11, 2019, 02:58:41 pm by esdailles left foot »
I think we had to let him go as he did not want to be here
No we didn't he was still under contract

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 11, 2019, 02:58:46 pm by steve@dcfd »
Longbottom is home grown too, so he ticks off that box.
That’s why is on the bench, because he meets the criteria of home grown developed player, that has to be met.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 11, 2019, 03:00:21 pm by esdailles left foot »

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 11, 2019, 03:04:03 pm by esdailles left foot »
Not just the marquis money though, we had money available before we sold marquis

So we keep being told yet non our previous or current manager seem to want to use it

Didn't SM say we used up all the budget last season?

Last season yes
Look at all the wages that have left the club since then

The problem DF and GB will have to sign permanent players or player will wages and length of contract.
So we are endeavouring to bring better players their wages I’m my opinion will be more than what John was on. From the Championship with pedigree they were bound to be. DM is a good manager he has looked at the squad and development understudies and realised he needs better for the squad. He has tried to get in proven permanent strikers and it appears agreements could not be made. Little black book do not pay wages or length of contract. GM was altering his stance week by week while he was here. Stronger squad, tried to resign players failed he wanted to reduce their terms. Others left due financial or family reasons.
He wanted a GK and CH nearly had them over the line went on holiday didn’t get them at that time, put them on back burner.
Tried to sign Newell failed to get that over the line.
So we are where we are now and even though we have lost John signing his replacement was never ever going to be easy if you want quality in a striker. GMs replacement for him went with him to Hull.

Sorry but where's the evidence of Darren Moore being a good manager. How many trophies and promotions are on his CV please.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 11, 2019, 03:04:39 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

It’s pretty much unavoidable when your striker leaves a week before the season starts AND your former Manager nips in to sign the replacements before our new manager is in place!!

But we did have a contingency plan but that went to pot when GM left!!!

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #82 on August 11, 2019, 03:07:58 pm by esdailles left foot »

But we did have a contingency plan but that went to pot when GM left!!!
We're not talking about the manager, it's the player you plan for. for Copps sake !!!!!!

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 11, 2019, 03:09:14 pm by sha66y »
Its hard to make out what is going on at the rovers.
We started with an almost bouncing Gavin Baldwin saying Moore has got a little black book, and we're making the funds available to sign A, B and C.
Marquis leaves.
We're told 100% of that money will be reinvested in the squad.
We put bids in for two players - that has now obviously now fallen through. We're on at least plan B, maybe even plan C (fine this happens in football)
Sign Taylor - not clear if this is one of the black books signings, or Marquis money (lines become very blurry at this point).
Now we're told the main striker target is another loanee from the premiership.
We've already got 4 loan players. 

Either Baptiste and Taylor talked themselves into extremely lucrative contracts or there is some massive holes in the finances.
An extra loan player would leave us with 5 loan players in and around the first team squad. Its not every day we get a cash injection like we got from the Marquis transfer, and to neglect to forward plan and target, and invest in, a young up-and-coming forward of our own would be hugely disappointing.

Lol,..ya kill me.....
We have young and upcoming strikers in the club, but nobody wants to take a chance because our fans version of...
 “ young and upcoming”
actually means
 “ established goal machine who can guarantee 20 goals a season “

I’m so pleased that the lines aren’t blurred regarding what we need...

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 11, 2019, 03:14:47 pm by steve@dcfd »
We knew that John wanted to go, but it appears Championship clubs were not queuing up to sign him. GM and maybe the club expected him to go early didn’t happen. Manager change we offered him a new contract but he wouldn’t sign he wanted to move South for family reasons. Portsmouth made an offer that met our criteria now we may have said can we sign another striker first and Portsmouth wanted him before the season started. Dilemma money now or miss out and have a disgruntled striker who was going no where. Even GM said he had two players lined up if GM went but no plan of signing before. So yes bad planning but signing strikers to lead the line in league one cost money therefore having two on the books would not happen.

Donnybax

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on August 11, 2019, 03:17:03 pm by Donnybax »

Why?
look at what we’ve signed from the apparent big budget. Senior players have left who would have been on decent money. It’s been well known since January that Marquis was leaving and yet we’ve had nobody lined up. We’ve signed plenty of loans again and there seems no long termism to what we are doing at all so next summer we will just have the exact same. 

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #86 on August 11, 2019, 03:19:14 pm by sha66y »

How come everyone is now saying what I was implying a week ago but got dogs abuse for.

When you say we shouldn’t of let Marquis go, are you actually proposing that we should have kept him against his wishes?
Not quite kidnapping, but being kept captive and being made to play I assume?

and how do you think that would have panned out?
Do you think he would have put his all into chasing and harrying defences, putting in potential career changing tackles, bearing in mind he wants the big pay day....are you thinking the rest of the players would rally to him and support him, knowing he was jumping ship once we got his replacement in...

I don’t get what you think a disgruntled player can offer to a club once he’s made his mind up to leave!!

Please enlighten me with a reasonable response steeped in facts not fantasy...

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 11, 2019, 03:20:33 pm by Filo »
Sorry but where's the evidence of Darren Moore being a good manager. How many trophies and promotions are on his CV please.

I tend to agree with this, he took over a doomed PL club, the new manager effect nearly saved them. He then continued in the Championship with basically the same squad, they were favourites for promotion, he was sacked (harshly) when they were in 4th place, he did n’t need to do much to his squad really

esdailles left foot

• Forum Member
« Reply #88 on August 11, 2019, 03:20:42 pm by esdailles left foot »
Its hard to make out what is going on at the rovers.
We started with an almost bouncing Gavin Baldwin saying Moore has got a little black book, and we're making the funds available to sign A, B and C.
Marquis leaves.
We're told 100% of that money will be reinvested in the squad.
We put bids in for two players - that has now obviously now fallen through. We're on at least plan B, maybe even plan C (fine this happens in football)
Sign Taylor - not clear if this is one of the black books signings, or Marquis money (lines become very blurry at this point).
Now we're told the main striker target is another loanee from the premiership.
We've already got 4 loan players. 

Either Baptiste and Taylor talked themselves into extremely lucrative contracts or there is some massive holes in the finances.
An extra loan player would leave us with 5 loan players in and around the first team squad. Its not every day we get a cash injection like we got from the Marquis transfer, and to neglect to forward plan and target, and invest in, a young up-and-coming forward of our own would be hugely disappointing.

Lol,..ya kill me.....
We have young and upcoming strikers in the club, but nobody wants to take a chance because our fans version of...
 “ young and upcoming”
actually means
 “ established goal machine who can guarantee 20 goals a season “

I’m so pleased that the lines aren’t blurred regarding what we need...

That IS what we've been told we are in negotiations with

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #89 on August 11, 2019, 03:23:15 pm by sha66y »

Why?
look at what we’ve signed from the apparent big budget. Senior players have left who would have been on decent money. It’s been well known since January that Marquis was leaving and yet we’ve had nobody lined up. We’ve signed plenty of loans again and there seems no long termism to what we are doing at all so next summer we will just have the exact same. 

Are you saying Darren Moore knew that JM was leaving since January and he also had the inside track on the possible overtures from Hull for GM....
So therefore should have known his own demise, and got some strikers lined up?

Is that what you are saying?....
If not.....what the hell are you saying????

TinyPortal © 2005-2012