Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 10:24:36 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Patience is running thin now!  (Read 9998 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Re: Patience is running thin now!
« Reply #90 on August 14, 2019, 09:36:50 am by steve@dcfd »
Very good comments above RA and NewDonny. Patience may be waning, more in some than others and a few who have no patience at all.

But hold on to whatever you've got as there are many things that are right. Other than the obvious, we are not far short of a team that can challenge for the top six. Going round in circles isn't going to solve anything. DM will be putting enough pressure on himself to get things done, so let's just sit back and see what pans out. At the end of the day he will be judged on results over a reasonable period of time, which is fair given the cards he was dealt. He has to be given time, the new players have to be given time.

It’s fair enough to request patience, but I don’t think that DM has been dealt a bad hand by any means. We had an exciting list of players lined up and ready to sign, but DM decided he didn’t fancy any (other than Sheaf), indicating that he could get better in with his little black book (again, which was termed exciting) - and the board were/are willing to back him in the market. We’ve not really seen much evidence of this so far - there’s still time, but if the window closes with what we’ve got right now then it would be perfectly understandable if fans feel miffed.

Stop using this exciting list of players unless you know who was on the list. I’ve suggest that some went with GM to Hull been told I don’t know the facts. Same as you we don’t know who was on the list where they are now or did they go elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:05:47 am by steve@dcfd »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 14, 2019, 09:57:29 am by NickDRFC »
Very good comments above RA and NewDonny. Patience may be waning, more in some than others and a few who have no patience at all.

But hold on to whatever you've got as there are many things that are right. Other than the obvious, we are not far short of a team that can challenge for the top six. Going round in circles isn't going to solve anything. DM will be putting enough pressure on himself to get things done, so let's just sit back and see what pans out. At the end of the day he will be judged on results over a reasonable period of time, which is fair given the cards he was dealt. He has to be given time, the new players have to be given time.

Stop using this exciting list of players unless you know who was on the list. I’ve suggest that some went with GM to Hull been told I don’t know the facts. Same as you we don’t know who was on the list where they are now or did they go elsewhere.

It’s fair enough to request patience, but I don’t think that DM has been dealt a bad hand by any means. We had an exciting list of players lined up and ready to sign, but DM decided he didn’t fancy any (other than Sheaf), indicating that he could get better in with his little black book (again, which was termed exciting) - and the board were/are willing to back him in the market. We’ve not really seen much evidence of this so far - there’s still time, but if the window closes with what we’ve got right now then it would be perfectly understandable if fans feel miffed.

Steve, I don't know who was on this list, but we were told they were ready to sign and that they were impressive but nothing has come of it. It's one of the reasons that expectations have been elevated and patience is running thin.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on August 14, 2019, 10:40:52 am by drfcsteve »
     I'm sorry but even as a staunch supporter of our board I think it's poor on this occasion.Everybody knew that Marquis was leaving and to be in this position now were as far as I'm concerned we haven't got a single striker on the books is very poor...

I said a few weeks ago that I was happy that by the end of the transfer window we would have a good squad and I still believe that.However my concern was were we would be by the time that happened??.Already our budget is down on last year as we are out of the cup already and two unconvincing draws..Thats a poor start..

However we are were we are,i just hope I'm misreading Moore wrong on this striker issue.We need 2 Strikers and by strikers I don't mean 17 year old premier loans or wide midfielders who can play up top...

If we just go for yet another loan player I will be terribly disappointed.We need to go out,spend a few quid on somebody decent  and get someone in who we know will be with us two or three years.Somebody who wont get recalled in January if he does well and leave us to start again...

And I do honesty believe we are looking for that..

However, it makes sense for the manager to get the right players, not just any players.

The longer it takes to get signings done, the more likely IMHO we end up with a stop gap loanee until January.

Like everyone else I think the squad is short, but I don’t follow the same argument as some who think there is something wrong or we are being lied to.

Just out of interest, who were top scorers and with how many goals, in the promotion seasons of 2008 and 2013.?

Billy Paynter in 2012/13 - 13 goals (David Cotterill got 20 assist that season!)

2007/8 - James Hayter??

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #93 on August 14, 2019, 10:45:29 am by drfcsteve »
I think Hayter got 13 as well actually.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #94 on August 14, 2019, 12:21:13 pm by IDM »
So we got promoted twice with no individual player scoring more than 13?

Doesn’t mean we shouldn’t aim for a 20, 25+ goals per season striker, we just need to score more than the opposition as often as we can..

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 14, 2019, 12:24:47 pm by RoversAlias »
Hayter top scored with 11 in all comps in 2007-08. In the league, our highest tally was a three-day tie between Hayter, Heffernan and JJ Price with a mighty 7 each!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #96 on August 14, 2019, 12:25:17 pm by drfchound »
Over the years it hasn’t been unusual for our top scorer to been in the teens with the number of goals scored by them.
Marquis bucked that trend twice and it will be unlikely that we will see that again for a long time.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 14, 2019, 02:09:02 pm by drfcsteve »
Notable that they were all strikers in the traditional sense though (apart from JJ Price you might say).

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on August 14, 2019, 02:20:53 pm by Jonathan »
History states that Marquis’ scoring record was extraordinary for us. Obviously we’ll miss that but I doubt anyone expects a new player to come in and guarantee an equal or better return. As has been said earlier, we have had success without relying on one goalscorer to that extent. But we certainly haven’t had success without any recognised senior strikers, that really would be unprecedented!

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on August 14, 2019, 03:32:28 pm by keith79 »
Got to have faith.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #100 on August 14, 2019, 03:51:37 pm by jmt23 »
 Sadlier has 2 in 2 league games! If he carries that on, he won’t do too bad. Ennis has yet to start but you can see the promise.
Saturday will be interesting, as Fleetwood will be a stern test, but I think we are doing ok, a typical slow start, I really think it will eventually click.

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 14, 2019, 03:57:00 pm by drfcsteve »
Yes Sadlier has 2 in 2 and long may it continue but he only managed 3 all last season so I'm not expecting 15+ goals from him, I hope I'm wrong.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #102 on August 14, 2019, 04:21:46 pm by Jonathan »
Yes Sadlier has 2 in 2 and long may it continue but he only managed 3 all last season so I'm not expecting 15+ goals from him, I hope I'm wrong.

Harsh, he didn’t start many games last season. I think there’s every chance he can get double figures this season. He is one of the best strikers of a ball that I’ve seen and he appears to have a natural eye for goal. He’s the only goalscorer we have, but he’s not a striker.

Al4475

• VSC Member
« Reply #103 on August 14, 2019, 04:23:10 pm by Al4475 »
How many games did he get his three in? Surely that's a decent clue as to what his goalscoring could be like and whether or not he could an interim job there till the right fella comes along?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 14, 2019, 04:32:38 pm by steve@dcfd »
It’s hope that Sadlier will score, Ennis will score and Taylor will score again.

We know May works his socks off but will he turn into a goal scorer. Will Kiwomya stay if he does will his scoring record improve. Will Gomes improve and start scoring. It’s all hope and yet we were going to build on what we had last year.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 14, 2019, 04:44:22 pm by IDM »
Sadlier reminds me a bit of Tommy Gaynor.. if I remember it rightly, we lost him to Forest when Cusack dropped his trousers and his trolleys and let Cloughie roger him up the arse..

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #106 on August 14, 2019, 05:00:08 pm by Colin C No.3 »
Sadlier reminds me a bit of Tommy Gaynor.. if I remember it rightly, we lost him to Forest when Cusack dropped his trousers and his trolleys and let Cloughie roger him up the arse..
[/quote

Yes I remember that being ‘The headlines’ in The Daily Sport alongside another story they titled ‘Vicar chases blonde around church yard’.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #107 on August 14, 2019, 05:33:06 pm by RoversAlias »
It’s hope that Sadlier will score, Ennis will score and Taylor will score again.

We know May works his socks off but will he turn into a goal scorer. Will Kiwomya stay if he does will his scoring record improve. Will Gomes improve and start scoring. It’s all hope and yet we were going to build on what we had last year.

All we can ever start a season with is hope, no signing is a guarantee of anything. As Al has posted in depth on the Wilder thread, we can expect the world of a striker and they turn out to be useless. It's very early days I know but look at Peterborough, who have spent loads recruiting supposed top players for this level. They've lost every game. Spent a million on Mo Eisa and he got taken off at half time last Saturday!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 14, 2019, 05:43:35 pm by the vicar »
How did their first effort come about, who was responsible for letting it happen?
Bad marking, not checking back, caught out of position, poor goalkeeping....

The reason we lost is not because we don’t have a striker.....it’s because the team didn’t defend well enough,

Nonsense I’m afraid,
If you don’t score goals you don’t win matches
and if you don't score goals then you don't win

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #109 on August 14, 2019, 06:32:48 pm by steve@dcfd »

All we can ever start a season with is hope, no signing is a guarantee of anything. As Al has posted in depth on the Wilder thread, we can expect the world of a striker and they turn out to be useless. It's very early days I know but look at Peterborough, who have spent loads recruiting supposed top players for this level. They've lost every game. Spent a million on Mo Eisa and he got taken off at half time last Saturday!

I appreciate that but Eisa scored goals in league 2 then went to the Championship and his goals stalled through injury and what I believe to bigger step.
We should be looking at players who have scored at league 1 and the Championship then it’s less of a risk.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #110 on August 14, 2019, 09:47:22 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Strikers who get 20 goals in a season in all competitions are rare creatures.

Since Kitch left us, we've had it happen (I think) only 5 times in 42 years.

Marquis 18/19
Marquis 16/17
Heffernan 06/07
Blundell 03/04
Barnes 02/03.

We shouldn't expect to sign another one, and given that 4 of our last 7 promotions came without a 20 goal striker, we don't necessarily need one.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 14, 2019, 09:50:49 pm by Chris Black come back »
Cramb got 20 in 1996/97 although only 18 were league goals.

Odd to think that very next season was such a colossal shit storm.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012