Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 01:27:07 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game  (Read 15065 times)

wing commander

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Fleetwood game
« Reply #120 on August 17, 2019, 02:06:52 pm by wing commander »
Sterling not starting is very dissapointing

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on August 17, 2019, 02:16:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
He only signed yesterday!

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on August 17, 2019, 02:24:38 pm by wing commander »
What does that matter??

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on August 17, 2019, 03:07:21 pm by keith79 »
We really  are bare bones. Anyone  who says the budget is better than last year are kidding themselves

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on August 17, 2019, 03:07:42 pm by Rovers91 »
Think it makes sense for him on the bench, Ennis deserves a chance to start in league.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on August 17, 2019, 03:14:15 pm by since-1969 »
0-1  :thumbdown:

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #126 on August 17, 2019, 03:24:06 pm by since-1969 »
1-1  :scarf:

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on August 17, 2019, 04:00:27 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Win this and we're unbeaten and on average points per game so far were going to finish with 3 more than last season. ;)

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on August 17, 2019, 04:08:17 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
and don't forget on paper it's an easy away win at Bolton and if bury are in existence another freebie easy away win to boost the goal difference

fixture listlooks brilliant then Lincoln lose their manager pretty soon to Huddersfield (even better)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on August 17, 2019, 04:37:10 pm by dickos1 »
Knowing our luck the Bolton game will be postponed

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on August 17, 2019, 05:09:04 pm by jackthelad »
Great win. Big relief.

Hope the Bolton game goes ahead as on paper it is the perfect time to play them. Another 3 points on Tuesday and its a good start to the season all of a sudden.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on August 17, 2019, 06:05:28 pm by Jonathan »
We certainly needed that one. Excellent win against a strong and typically awkward team.

Cameron John looks some player. Pace, power, commitment, reading of the game. I wish he was ours.

Coppinger was at his imperious best, constantly making time and space. Superb strike too.

I thought Ennis put himself about well up front. I wish he was ours too as there’s some definite potential there.

A good team performance in patches, we undoubtedly deserved the half time lead but then let them back in cheaply. Lawlor’s reluctance on crosses will continue to cost us, although he redeemed himself with an excellent and very brave stop.

A few question marks in the performances of Sheaf and Halliday for me. Sheaf needs to be more assertive and decisive at times but he definitely has potential. Halliday’s defensive positioning is a concern at times. I thought Reece James did well down the other side.

Not sure how Fleetwood kept eleven on. The stamp on May was awful but somehow missed by all officials. Burns fouled and niggled his way through the afternoon, it was nice that he managed to stay on and bag out winner.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on August 17, 2019, 06:09:49 pm by drfchound »
May has to start, really don't fancy us today but hope I am wrong. :scarf:
Why does he. No end product. All our front men need to be capable of scoring in League 1
Work rate alone i am afraid isn’t good enough.

Agreed, he’s a good impact sub. No more. That fact we was chanting his name to come of the bench at Grimsby speak volumes of where we’re currently at. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another very good performance by May.
Well worth his place in the team.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on August 17, 2019, 06:15:51 pm by Retdon1 »
What a great game of football

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on August 17, 2019, 06:17:26 pm by drfchound »
Coppinger at his imperious best and what a great goal.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on August 17, 2019, 06:34:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, agree that May played very well again. Good with the ball and prepared to put himself on the line. A creative player that's found his place in the team.

My mom today was John. A big task for him today and he came out with flying colours and what a way to cap your home debut with a goal. His reaction after scoring and at the final whistle shows he gets it and understands what football is all about.

Ennis stuck to his task and kept going when he looked out on his feet. Work in progress but he has the talent.

Reece James. Excellent performance at left back at both ends of the pitch.

Whiteman, Sheaf, Halliday not the best games they will ever have but thankfully Anderson was his steady Eddie self.

Copps just keeps things nice and steady using his experience and skill to bring others into the game. Nice goal James.

Sadlier should have been 3 for 3 at least. Deserved a goal today but missed the easiest chance after he battered the crossbar!

Overall. Great win, good game to watch. Work to do on some aspects of our game but once these young uns get more comfortable we will be a handful for any team.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on August 17, 2019, 06:38:06 pm by drfchound »
Yes, agree that May played very well again. Good with the ball and prepared to put himself on the line. A creative player that's found his place in the team.

My mom today was John. A big task for him today and he came out with flying colours and what a way to cap your home debut with a goal. His reaction after scoring and at the final whistle shows he gets it and understands what football is all about.

Ennis stuck to his task and kept going when he looked out on his feet. Work in progress but he has the talent.

Reece James. Excellent performance at left back at both ends of the pitch.

Whiteman, Sheaf, Halliday not the best games they will ever have but thankfully Anderson was his steady Eddie self.

Copps just keeps things nice and steady using his experience and skill to bring others into the game. Nice goal James.

Sadlier should have been 3 for 3 at least. Deserved a goal today but missed the easiest chance after he battered the crossbar!

Overall. Great win, good game to watch. Work to do on some aspects of our game but once these young uns get more comfortable we will be a handful for any team.

A decent summary there mate.
I loved the expression of joy from Anderson too on the final whistle.
We got battered for fifteen to twenty minutes but after the equaliser we were slightly the better team and worth the victory.
A good game to watch really.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on August 17, 2019, 06:44:54 pm by dickos1 »
If you look at the results last season in comparison we are a point up

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on August 17, 2019, 06:49:43 pm by Jonathan »
Alfie May did really well again. A much better player in the wide role than as an out and out striker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on August 17, 2019, 07:26:49 pm by selby »
n  I thought the first ten minutes were the worst a Rovers side has played for ages, and could only see a battering coming.
   We did our best to give them a goal, passing across our own penalty area again, and being intercepted on more than one occasion that could have resulted in a goal.
   Their first goal was a comedy of errors starting when May failed to clear and found a man 25 yards away who crossed into the box. Lawlor looked as if he should have taken the cross, then made a reaction save that he didn't follow up  and was helpless when they nodded it across him to the far corner.
   We then scored with almost our first attack, and despite still passing across our own box and setting them up again a couple of times, we stepped up, and took the lead with probably the goal of the season, Sheaf feeding Coppinger with a good first time pass wide, who with  deliberate poise picked the far top corner after controlling  the ball and shooting in one movement.
    The game became end to end and after Sadlier had rattled the bar, they equalised and Wallace started to control the game for them, and for a period looked for a winner, until time added on we had a bit of fortune and bagged a winner with an own goal.
    So what can we see after this our hardest game up to press, Coppinger is still our best play maker. Some of our young loanees  have a lot of talent, but also have a lot to learn, and hopefully quickly. The fighting spirit in the club is brilliant,  and the effort overcomes some of their deficiencies, and they don't know when they are beaten, epitomised by Alfie May who tries his heart out and in this game took a battering, but got up and went back for more.
   A good game to watch, frustrating, and exciting at the same time, some poor football and some good in equal spades.
   Fleetwood are a decent side, Physical, cynical, and talented at this level. less of the first two which take over their game, and they could go up, or will not be far off, play like that every week and they will pick up cards and sending offs.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on August 17, 2019, 07:39:43 pm by Pancho Regan »
We certainly needed that one. Excellent win against a strong and typically awkward team.

Cameron John looks some player. Pace, power, commitment, reading of the game. I wish he was ours.

Coppinger was at his imperious best, constantly making time and space. Superb strike too.

I thought Ennis put himself about well up front. I wish he was ours too as there’s some definite potential there.

A good team performance in patches, we undoubtedly deserved the half time lead but then let them back in cheaply. Lawlor’s reluctance on crosses will continue to cost us, although he redeemed himself with an excellent and very brave stop.

A few question marks in the performances of Sheaf and Halliday for me. Sheaf needs to be more assertive and decisive at times but he definitely has potential. Halliday’s defensive positioning is a concern at times. I thought Reece James did well down the other side.

Not sure how Fleetwood kept eleven on. The stamp on May was awful but somehow missed by all officials. Burns fouled and niggled his way through the afternoon, it was nice that he managed to stay on and bag out winner.

I’m on holiday on a remote island in Croatia with limited internet coverage but I’ve managed to pick up your post Jonathan and can only thank you for that very thorough summary of our performance.

Thanks mate, wish I’d been there but the sun, the sand, the sea and the red wine took precedence...

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on August 17, 2019, 08:00:10 pm by drfchound »
As we went into the last few minutes my mate said that there was another goal in the game and I remarked that it could go to either team.
When that ball went across the box to Sadlier we both thought that would be the winner but he missed what was basically a sitter.
It happens.

However fortunately Fleetwood found a way to gift us a winner.

A special note for Copps was his delivery of free kicks and corners, every one put into a good area and caused Fleetwood problems.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on August 17, 2019, 08:09:04 pm by NewDonny »
As we went into the last few minutes my mate said that there was another goal in the game and I remarked that it could go to either team.
When that ball went across the box to Sadlier we both thought that would be the winner but he missed what was basically a sitter.
It happens.

A special note for Copps was his delivery of free kicks and corners, every one put into a good area and caused Fleetwood problems.

A miss yes but never a sitter, he was on the edge of their 18 yard box with plenty to do still?

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:11:06 pm by NewDonny »

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on August 17, 2019, 08:20:59 pm by john_donc857 »
I would of liked to have see sterling and Ennis together. Honestly thought Moore’s substitutions gave fleetwood the upper hand . But came good in the end so well done Darren

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on August 17, 2019, 08:22:04 pm by drfchound »
It happens.

A miss yes but never a sitter, he was on the edge of their 18 yard box with plenty to do still?

A player of his quality should have scored.
Keeper stranded at one side of the goal, no one near KS and all he has to do is slot it into the other half of the goal.
It was a sitter.
His reaction afterwards told the story.
He had his head down on the halfway line and was told to pick himself up.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on August 17, 2019, 08:45:50 pm by NewDonny »
It happens.

A player of his quality should have scored.
Keeper stranded at one side of the goal, no one near KS and all he has to do is slot it into the other half of the goal.
It was a sitter.
His reaction afterwards told the story.
He had his head down on the halfway line and was told to pick himself up.

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 09:12:34 pm by NewDonny »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on August 17, 2019, 09:15:51 pm by ravenrover »
Can someone explain to me how a pull back is a booking and a free kick but a body check is just a free kick?
How did Fleetwood employ the same tactics as last year ie numerous off the ball incidents and get away with it
How they only received was it 1 yellow card?
How they kept 11 players on the pitch?
A reflection of their manager

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on August 17, 2019, 09:17:06 pm by Jonathan »
NewDonny, I don’t think anyone is criticising Sadlier at all, it’s simply a chance that he’d have expected to score himself. Everyone recognises that Sadlier has had an excellent start to the season and he played well again today. He’s one of the best strikers of a ball that I’ve seen in our colours and that made it even more surprising that he missed that chance at the end. That’s in no way a criticism of him, it happens and we won the game anyway.

In fact would I be right in saying it was Sadlier that drew that dreadful foul from which we scored the winning goal? Excellent close control again.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #148 on August 17, 2019, 09:27:34 pm by Campsall rover »
Most of the compulsive negative threaders have vanished this evening. Strange that isn’t it.

Well a brilliant 3 points that we didn’t look like getting as I thought we ran out of steam a little bit in the last 15 mins.
Not surprising though due to the effort, commitment and pace of the game.
Coppinger what can you say, he is like a vintage wine. That goal if it had been scored by Kane, Salah or Aguero would be shown over & over again and would have been the talk of the weekend.

There is a lot of talent in this squad, patience is needed again because football perfection never happened in a hurry.
We are now looking a very potent force and one or 2 more additions still will make us a serious force in this league.

Special mention for Cameron John who was outstanding and Alfie May who has undoubtedly improved under DM’s management.
His work rate was never in question but now his first touch is better and his passing and overall awareness is on a different level to last season. If he could start to score goals as well then he will become a very good player at this level.
I said before the match he shouldn’t start but i take that back on today’s showing because if he can contribute enough to other players scoring 3 goals then that is an end product in itself.

The future is looking very bright indeed and i think all the gloom and doom merchants will suddenly start to go very quiet on here.
Wouldn’t that be just bliss.  :clapping:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on August 17, 2019, 09:37:14 pm by Campsall rover »
Can someone explain to me how a pull back is a booking and a free kick but a body check is just a free kick?
How did Fleetwood employ the same tactics as last year ie numerous off the ball incidents and get away with it
How they only received was it 1 yellow card?
How they kept 11 players on the pitch?
A reflection of their manager
The refs must be scared of receiving a left hook or an elbow in the tunnel from you know who.
Only explanation i can come up with.
Same tactics as last year and once again no protection from the ref.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012