Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:16:23 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Signing: Kazaiah Sterling  (Read 16044 times)

GazLaz

• Forum Member
Re: Signing: Kazaiah Sterling
« Reply #90 on August 16, 2019, 02:10:56 pm by GazLaz »
SM Genuine question mate. Are you not concerned with the direction the club is going in with regards are own player development..I appreciate we've got the development squad but surely we cant just keep signing a squad full of loans players and starting again every season..There has to be some more emphasis into buying our own players at least the time cost and effort of developing them reaps some rewards...

You know I've always supported this board from day 1 but this sticking plaster strategy just doesn't sit well with me...

I'm not overly concerned. Yes it could be better, but circumstances have forced our hand to a certain extent.

What I have confidence in though, is that the backbone of the club, and the resources available to run the day to day operations have never been better.

Who sets the footballing strategy for the season Martin, is that Gavin? I don’t mean tactics, I mean the long term plan.

The strategy is set by the Manager, but of course that then has to be approved by the wider board. And no doubt at interview stage the board and Manager reach an agreed position on the way forward, which will be amended as circumstances dictate.

And so far this close season circumstances have forced the hand to an extent, not totally of course, but certainly had an impact. We've actually got one more loan player than was originally envisaged for example.

Mr McCann leaving wasn’t ideal was it. We would be better suited if the strategy was set by the board and the coach was just a part of that. That has to be the way we end up going. A sporting director/ director of football would make this possible. Especially with Gavin having so much on his plate.

I’ll throw a name out there as the first DoF, James Coppinger. He understands the technical aspect of the game and he has a broader understanding of what it takes to be a success as a footballer.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #91 on August 16, 2019, 02:16:51 pm by Campsall rover »
I’m looking forward to how this pans out. It is becoming clearer that DM wants speed and skill, and is trying to bring in the best young talent he has seen.
I am imagining:

Ennis.      Sterling
                     Sadlier
May.               Copps.              Taylor

The pace and skill should be frightening to most teams

so with a back four in there you’ll not bother with Whiteman of Sheif?
If we play with a front 6 as above it’s going to be interesting
We may score 4/5 but i guarantee we will concede 6/7  :facepalm:

BawtryRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #92 on August 16, 2019, 02:18:44 pm by BawtryRed »
Comments from my Sunderland season ticket work colleague- “He was ok. Didn’t really get a chance. He is quite fast and powerful. Poor first touch. Not as good as Marquis, or his brother Raheem. Given a run he might be a handful“

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #93 on August 16, 2019, 02:24:10 pm by PDX_Rover »
SM Genuine question mate. Are you not concerned with the direction the club is going in with regards are own player development..I appreciate we've got the development squad but surely we cant just keep signing a squad full of loans players and starting again every season..There has to be some more emphasis into buying our own players at least the time cost and effort of developing them reaps some rewards...

You know I've always supported this board from day 1 but this sticking plaster strategy just doesn't sit well with me...

I'm not overly concerned. Yes it could be better, but circumstances have forced our hand to a certain extent.

What I have confidence in though, is that the backbone of the club, and the resources available to run the day to day operations have never been better.

Who sets the footballing strategy for the season Martin, is that Gavin? I don’t mean tactics, I mean the long term plan.

There is no long term plan. That's quite obvious.

More utter w@nk
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:32:51 am by Forum Admin »

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #94 on August 16, 2019, 02:25:19 pm by Barmby Rover »
If all this lad does is hold the ball up and feed it in to midfielders running forwards he could have a starting place without scoring a single goal. It will be nice if he chips in as well. Fingers crossed, welcome to Rovers Kaziah, do your best.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #95 on August 16, 2019, 02:26:01 pm by Campsall rover »

Do you honestly believe that our Board, successful business people who are also Rovers supporters don’t have, and haven’t thought about producing, a long term plan?

Do you think our current recruitment strategy is planning for the long term?

Answering my question with a question? Are you a politician? Again, do you honestly believe our Board doesn’t have a long term plan??

The evidence suggests they don't.
You are getting more than boring with your swipes at the board.
Go and support Bury or Bolton you will love it. Right up your street.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #96 on August 16, 2019, 02:28:00 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
Comments from my Sunderland season ticket work colleague- “He was ok. Didn’t really get a chance. He is quite fast and powerful. Poor first touch. Not as good as Marquis, or his brother Raheem. Given a run he might be a handful“

They're not related.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #97 on August 16, 2019, 02:28:33 pm by GazLaz »

More utter w@nk

To be fair, SM has just said the manager sets out the strategy. This is perfectly reasonable, but I wouldn’t class it as a long term ideology considering the lifespan of managers. The manager leaves and the plan has to change. It’s been quite successful for us over the last 10 years but maybe there is a better way to do things.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:33:09 am by Forum Admin »

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #98 on August 16, 2019, 02:32:07 pm by redarmy82 »

More utter w@nk

We've got a live one here. Abuse from behind your keyboard. Well done.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:33:21 am by Forum Admin »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #99 on August 16, 2019, 02:36:39 pm by Jonathan »
I’m not a detractor of the one year rolling contract for managers as I can absolutely see why we do it that way. But is it right for a manager on a one year rolling deal to set the long term vision of the club? To me there’s an immediate conflict with pushing short term fixes. Something to think about certainly.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #100 on August 16, 2019, 02:42:20 pm by Glyn_Wigley »
I’m not a detractor of the one year rolling contract for managers as I can absolutely see why we do it that way. But is it right for a manager on a one year rolling deal to set the long term vision of the club? To me there’s an immediate conflict with pushing short term fixes. Something to think about certainly.

Long-term planning in usually five years or more. Managers won't be doing that, as player contracts are very rarely more than three years, if that. Permanent signings would fall more into medium-term planning. Short-term plans rarely look any further than twelve months, so that covers loan signings.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #101 on August 16, 2019, 02:47:12 pm by Jonathan »

Long-term planning in usually five years or more. Managers won't be doing that, as player contracts are very rarely more than three years, if that. Permanent signings would fall more into medium-term planning. Short-term plans rarely look any further than twelve months, so that covers loan signings.

Substitute long for medium then, as there is still the same conflict.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #102 on August 16, 2019, 02:57:05 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Any good business will have long, medium, and short-term plans all operating in conjunction at the same time without any conflict at all. I'm not sure what conflict you mean?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #103 on August 16, 2019, 03:04:33 pm by Chris Black come back »

These are two related but different points.

The 12 month rolling contract is essentially a compensation hedge. It doesn’t really impact how long a manager sticks around, especially given we are not paying our managers that much I imagine so even if longer deal they could easily be bought out. How many times do managers not move due to compensation dispute? Very few.

Separate, keeping our managers for long(er) periods of time and getting them to set and implement a long(er) term plan is sensible. SOD was last manager to do that with any success.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 03:08:33 pm by Chris Black come back »

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #104 on August 16, 2019, 03:05:08 pm by Jonathan »

Any good business will have long, medium, and short-term plans all operating in conjunction at the same time without any conflict at all. I'm not sure what conflict you mean?

The conflict of having somebody contracted to deliver immediate term success in charge of developing the medium / long term strategy. The two may be at odds.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #105 on August 16, 2019, 03:12:24 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The conflict of having somebody contracted to deliver immediate term success in charge of developing the medium / long term strategy. The two may be at odds.

They wouldn't be in charge of all medium- or long- term planning, just that in their own area. And you can't not have a manger make those plans just because they might not be here at the end of that plan, you have to be flexible. Just as every other business has to be, because they know personnel isn't static.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #106 on August 16, 2019, 03:15:31 pm by redarmy82 »
Back to the topic of the signing of Sterling - are we really expecting this kid to replace the goals we've lost?

It isn't going to happen, is it?

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #107 on August 16, 2019, 03:16:07 pm by silent majority »

But they're not. The short term strategy lies with the Manager, but the longer term is decided by the Board. Obviously the Boards strategy is based on the ultimate objectives of the business and how they see it , the Managers must fit within that.

It's exactly the same with the business I work for. Our medium and long term strategy is laid out by the Board based in Denmark, and our country strategy must meet that, but we have to operate in our local market and be flexible with our daily operations. That is managed by our Country Manager and down through the ranks.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #108 on August 16, 2019, 03:39:05 pm by elmsallrover »

Do you honestly believe that our Board, successful business people who are also Rovers supporters don’t have, and haven’t thought about producing, a long term plan?
the top man isn't a football fan it's not his bag at all
and he also thinks that football players are over paid

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #109 on August 16, 2019, 03:39:52 pm by StocktonRover »
Back to the topic of the signing of Sterling - are we really expecting this kid to replace the goals we've lost?

It is going to happen, isn’t it?
Think your last line was supposed to as above 😏

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #110 on August 16, 2019, 03:42:49 pm by Barmby Rover »
I’m looking forward to how this pans out. It is becoming clearer that DM wants speed and skill, and is trying to bring in the best young talent he has seen.
I am imagining:

Ennis.      Sterling
                     Sadlier
May.               Copps.              Taylor

The pace and skill should be frightening to most teams

so with a back four in there you’ll not bother with Whiteman of Sheif?
If we play with a front 6 as above it’s going to be interesting
We may score 4/5 but i guarantee we will concede 6/7  :facepalm:
A back 4 to finish the team off? So we drop our current captain then? Not too sure the manager would agree.

grayx

• Forum Member
« Reply #111 on August 16, 2019, 03:57:53 pm by grayx »
Sterling will probs start on the bench.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #112 on August 16, 2019, 04:00:40 pm by DearneValleyRover »

It remains to be seen doesn’t it but you could argue that point about any striker signed.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #113 on August 16, 2019, 04:04:28 pm by PDX_Rover »

More utter w@nk from one of the top w@nkers in here. Feck off

Well, you’re one of those people who just complains all the time. Nothing is ever good enough. Always negative. You’re pointless and you just make yourself look stupid.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #114 on August 16, 2019, 04:06:24 pm by redarmy82 »

More utter w@nk

Well, you’re one of those people who just complains all the time. Nothing is ever good enough. Always negative. You’re pointless and you just make yourself look stupid.

So you resort to foul and abusive language? Your mam must be proud.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:33:44 am by Forum Admin »

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #115 on August 16, 2019, 04:07:12 pm by PDX_Rover »

And again... stupid speculation based on baseless non-facts. You have no idea what this kid can do and you have no idea what goes on behind the scenes at the club. Jesus.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #116 on August 16, 2019, 04:08:06 pm by PDX_Rover »

More utter w@nk

Awwww. Bless.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:33:58 am by Forum Admin »

john_donc857

• Forum Member
« Reply #117 on August 16, 2019, 04:18:18 pm by john_donc857 »
Should be a good player as he’s still at spurs at 20 years of age. It’s obvious now though that our own youth players who were given a professional contract last season won’t get a look in this season. So what about their development? Will we be sending them out on loan to non league to bring them on like we’re doing with other teams youth players

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #118 on August 16, 2019, 04:19:32 pm by redarmy82 »

More utter w@nk

Awwww. Bless.

Funny, those who resort to the personal abuse are always the kind to do it from the safety of the forum. Put them in a real situation, they'd never do it to anyone's face. Cowards.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:34:10 am by Forum Admin »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #119 on August 16, 2019, 04:20:06 pm by sha66y »

he doesn’t have to replace any goals we have lost......that was last year silly!
This is 2019 and it’s a new season...so we could hypothetically win 1-0 every game, and share the goals amongst the attacking players,

That’d fcuk up your logic a bit?

This really isn’t that hard to work out ya know...1 goal to nil wins a game...our goalie, defence and defensive midfielder do their jobs right..we don’t concede..
Our attacking players manage to create ten chances but score one....we win, we get 3 points, and that’s pretty much all we have to do this season....
And yes I can see that happening...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012