Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:00:20 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Signing: Kazaiah Sterling  (Read 15873 times)

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
Re: Signing: Kazaiah Sterling
« Reply #60 on August 16, 2019, 12:46:49 pm by elmsallrover »
Sounds of desperation to me

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on August 16, 2019, 12:47:21 pm by Shawndrfc »
I really do hope the lad does well this season and that we get 2-3 players in now to fill the gaps DM has pointed out on a permanent basis.

I can see why it’s taken so long for this to happen because Tottenham don’t have anyone behind Kane really so these younger lads could be vital for them this season.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on August 16, 2019, 12:50:32 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Can we not just judge him on his performances?

Nice idea, but this is Viking Chat. Such sanity isn’t welcome. 🤫

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on August 16, 2019, 12:50:49 pm by silent majority »
I am guessing that this means we won’t be signing O’Hare on loan from Villa?

Doubt it, the only name I heard was this lad from Spurs, and is certainly one of the ones DM has spent along time pursuing.

Has this been complemented by a search for a striker we would sign permanently?

Yes, it has. I heard a few names, but for one reason or another we haven't been able to complete. That doesn't mean we won't though.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #64 on August 16, 2019, 12:53:03 pm by Filo »
I’m looking forward to how this pans out. It is becoming clearer that DM wants speed and skill, and is trying to bring in the best young talent he has seen.
I am imagining:

Ennis.      Sterling
                     Sadlier
May.               Copps.              Taylor

The pace and skill should be frightening to most teams

so with a back four in there you’ll not bother with Whiteman of Sheif?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on August 16, 2019, 12:54:36 pm by Jonathan »

Doubt it, the only name I heard was this lad from Spurs, and is certainly one of the ones DM has spent along time pursuing.

Has this been complemented by a search for a striker we would sign permanently?

Yes, it has. I heard a few names, but for one reason or another we haven't been able to complete. That doesn't mean we won't though.

That’s encouraging to hear. I hope there’s still an option for our future that we can sort.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 01:07:33 pm by Jonathan »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on August 16, 2019, 12:58:09 pm by sha66y »
While he looks a decent signing, we're going to be in the exact same position agian this time next year,

Not at all...this might just be a “stop gap” loan...

To take the pressure off whilst we take our time ( 2-3 weeks) to get the existing deals over the line, .......

This isn’t a fact, but I doubt our club would just ditch those targeted just because we have brought someone else in....

I hope

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on August 16, 2019, 01:01:58 pm by silent majority »
SM Genuine question mate. Are you not concerned with the direction the club is going in with regards are own player development..I appreciate we've got the development squad but surely we cant just keep signing a squad full of loans players and starting again every season..There has to be some more emphasis into buying our own players at least the time cost and effort of developing them reaps some rewards...

You know I've always supported this board from day 1 but this sticking plaster strategy just doesn't sit well with me...

I'm not overly concerned. Yes it could be better, but circumstances have forced our hand to a certain extent.

What I have confidence in though, is that the backbone of the club, and the resources available to run the day to day operations have never been better.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on August 16, 2019, 01:09:12 pm by the vicar »
While he looks a decent signing, we're going to be in the exact same position agian this time next year,

To take the pressure off whilst we take our time ( 2-3 weeks) to get the existing deals over the line, .......

This isn’t a fact, but I doubt our club would just ditch those targeted just because we have brought someone else in....

I hope

not for a season long loan its not a stop gap

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on August 16, 2019, 01:10:26 pm by Bezza »
Looking forward to seeing this lad and him proving the knockers wrong, I think the Rovers are in for an exciting ride.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on August 16, 2019, 01:11:23 pm by GazLaz »
SM Genuine question mate. Are you not concerned with the direction the club is going in with regards are own player development..I appreciate we've got the development squad but surely we cant just keep signing a squad full of loans players and starting again every season..There has to be some more emphasis into buying our own players at least the time cost and effort of developing them reaps some rewards...

You know I've always supported this board from day 1 but this sticking plaster strategy just doesn't sit well with me...

I'm not overly concerned. Yes it could be better, but circumstances have forced our hand to a certain extent.

What I have confidence in though, is that the backbone of the club, and the resources available to run the day to day operations have never been better.

Who sets the footballing strategy for the season Martin, is that Gavin? I don’t mean tactics, I mean the long term plan.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on August 16, 2019, 01:11:36 pm by 5 on Tour »
The negativity around signings on here is getting beyond belief now. Support the lad and  see what happens. Half the “fans” on here would rather degrade someone before they’ve kicked a ball than actually show some faith and trust in the lad. “His record was poor at Sunderland” and? Marquis couldn’t hit water from a boat at Millwall and looked what he achieved.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #72 on August 16, 2019, 01:12:01 pm by redarmy82 »

Who sets the footballing strategy for the season Martin, is that Gavin? I don’t mean tactics, I mean the long term plan.

There is no long term plan. That's quite obvious.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on August 16, 2019, 01:14:26 pm by sha66y »

I hope

not for a season long loan its not a stop gap

Can’t argue with that.....it’ll be interesting to see how things pan out should the additional striker/s be signed..

But a big target man seems to be not what DM is looking for, or so it would appear..

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on August 16, 2019, 01:16:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Do you honestly believe that our Board, successful business people who are also Rovers supporters don’t have, and haven’t thought about producing, a long term plan?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #75 on August 16, 2019, 01:19:10 pm by redarmy82 »

Do you honestly believe that our Board, successful business people who are also Rovers supporters don’t have, and haven’t thought about producing, a long term plan?

Do you think our current recruitment strategy is planning for the long term?

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #76 on August 16, 2019, 01:19:29 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »

No, what is obvious is a change in plan dictating a change in strategy at least for the short term.  Darren may want to be planning long term, but late in the window, having had a late start he cannot do that.

It wasn't the board's fault Mccann left.  A huge amount of work was done and wasted, by that point it becomes quite late so plans change.  We may have to accept that for this season we'll make do and try and build longer term at a later point.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #77 on August 16, 2019, 01:22:04 pm by Canadian Rover »
Got a feeling this lad is going to be very special for us.

In terms of loan signings being short term- Whiteman has proved why getting a lad in on loan works.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #78 on August 16, 2019, 01:23:28 pm by the vicar »

the top man isn't a football fan it's not his bag at all

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #79 on August 16, 2019, 01:24:38 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Answering my question with a question? Are you a politician? Again, do you honestly believe our Board doesn’t have a long term plan??

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #80 on August 16, 2019, 01:26:16 pm by JonWallsend »
Give the lad a chance. The general consensus among the Sunderland fans that I know, and who watch them regularly, is that Will Grigg has been an absolute waste of money and done nothing. They think Wyke looks decent if the ball is played into his feet but because he's a big unit, they tend to pump it long and he's been made to look poor. When they played us at the SOL it was his best game by some distance.

Very few of them are convinced by Jack Ross because of his inability, Maja aside, to get anything out of his forwards.

I'm sure everyone would have considered Grigg or Wyke to be an excellent signing had either of them come in and Sunderland would have been pleased to get rid.

It remains to be seen if he is the answer. Hopefully as has been alluded to this is a loan signing to buy time as a precursor to getting someone in full time but if not and he does well then great.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #81 on August 16, 2019, 01:30:24 pm by vaya »
Give the lad a chance. The general consensus among the Sunderland fans that I know, and who watch them regularly, is that Will Grigg has been an absolute waste of money and done nothing. They think Wyke looks decent if the ball is played into his feet but because he's a big unit, they tend to pump it long and he's been made to look poor. When they played us at the SOL it was his best game by some distance.

Very few of them are convinced by Jack Ross because of his inability, Maja aside, to get anything out of his forwards.

I'm sure everyone would have considered Grigg or Wyke to be an excellent signing had either of them come in and Sunderland would have been pleased to get rid.

It remains to be seen if he is the answer. Hopefully as has been alluded to this is a loan signing to buy time as a precursor to getting someone in full time but if not and he does well then great.

Heard similar about Ross, and that he was to some extent on borrowed time before a ball was kicked this season.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #82 on August 16, 2019, 01:32:22 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

Do you honestly think that the club doesn't do short-term planning, medium-term planning and long-term planning all at the same time, or do you genuinely think they make it up as they along just because you don't know anything about what's happening?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #83 on August 16, 2019, 01:33:43 pm by redarmy82 »

Answering my question with a question? Are you a politician? Again, do you honestly believe our Board doesn’t have a long term plan??

The evidence suggests they don't.

jmt23

• Forum Member
« Reply #84 on August 16, 2019, 01:40:52 pm by jmt23 »
I’m looking forward to how this pans out. It is becoming clearer that DM wants speed and skill, and is trying to bring in the best young talent he has seen.
I am imagining:

Ennis.      Sterling
                     Sadlier
May.               Copps.              Taylor

The pace and skill should be frightening to most teams

so with a back four in there you’ll not bother with Whiteman of Sheif?

Sorry Copps or Sadlier

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #85 on August 16, 2019, 01:44:03 pm by Glyn_Wigley »

The evidence suggests they don't.

CSI Rovers, and just as realistic as the tv series.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #86 on August 16, 2019, 01:58:30 pm by Dutch Uncle »

Have we reached a loan limit, Dutch?

I liked the look of O'Hare.

We are certainly allowed to make more loan signings, but no more than 5 are allowed in a match day squad of 18, and we now have 5.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #87 on August 16, 2019, 02:05:14 pm by silent majority »

The strategy is set by the Manager, but of course that then has to be approved by the wider board. And no doubt at interview stage the board and Manager reach an agreed position on the way forward, which will be amended as circumstances dictate.

And so far this close season circumstances have forced the hand to an extent, not totally of course, but certainly had an impact. We've actually got one more loan player than was originally envisaged for example.

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #88 on August 16, 2019, 02:08:12 pm by silent majority »

the top man isn't a football fan it's not his bag at all

Does being a football fan make all the difference Dave?

Do you think the Glazers were football fans, or Stan Kroenke, or the Qatari Government?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #89 on August 16, 2019, 02:10:39 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If you look at this signing in isolation, it's got potential to be an excellent loan however the issue is people are looking at the Marquis replacement which he is unlikely to be. I still think DM is still looking for that piece of the jigsaw, given it looks like we've had one or two knock backs. I'm sure, when the opportunity comes he'll go for a proven, more experienced striker too.

Some refer to a leader of the line, an experienced striker, a hold up man etc. However, we describe it, I think we all know what we mean and it doesn't necessarily have to be a big lump in the middle but someone with strength, guile and experience. The search goes on.

In the meantime, I look forward to seeing this new lad along with Taylor, Ennis and John tomorrow at some point.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012