Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 17, 2024, 12:34:05 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Right back Haliday v Blair  (Read 6119 times)

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
Re: Right back Haliday v Blair
« Reply #30 on August 17, 2019, 09:17:00 pm by Paul Simpson »
The whole team is a work in progress imo. Give them time to gel and improve and i’m Sure we will have a decent rovers team to enjoy this season 🤞⚽️⚽️

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 17, 2019, 09:18:21 pm by the vicar »
If Halliday isn’t deemed good enough then fair enough, sign another RB.

Blair playing there is not the answer.
you say that but we got to the play-off with matty at full back

mushRTID

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 17, 2019, 09:19:32 pm by mushRTID »

Yes fair point but most people I know acknowledged it was our weak spot.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 17, 2019, 09:19:56 pm by sedwardsdrfc »

Depends how you look at it. Right back was our weak spot last season without a doubt so you could say we got to the playoffs in spite of Matty at right back. Not a dig at Blair in anyway this

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 17, 2019, 09:27:25 pm by the vicar »
Can we do a poll on this
And what will that do? Big Daz swayed by a poll on here?

/
I never said that it would do any good at all. Like all polls on here are done for fun and just to get a general consensus, not to change anyone's mind or even influence them, just for FUN!

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 17, 2019, 09:45:55 pm by scawsby steve »
I would have Anderson in the team every week.
He isn’t in the team for his ball playing skills but he is a rock solid defender.

Opinions Hound. I thought Anderson was very poor today and I'd keep Cameron John in when Wright is fit

You're basing that opinion on one game, and I doubt that you've seen very much of him, otherwise you'd realise that he's one of the most consistent solid centre halves we've had at this club since he's been here.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on August 17, 2019, 09:51:44 pm by Jonathan »
Anderson is excellent, great character and defensive qualities. He has the potential to be a mainstay for us for a number of years. We just need to sort a new contract for him!

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on August 17, 2019, 09:57:37 pm by Lesonthewest »
No contest, Blair has to claim back that spot, right back or not. Halliday is league 2 in my opinion, out of position a lot, no pace & opponents go past him like he's not there. Leading up to their 2nd goal I was thinking go on stop the cross but he made a feeble attempt to, at least Blair would have put their player under pressure. Said after the first home game we are weaker in that position & nothing has changed my mind.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on August 17, 2019, 09:58:23 pm by Chris Black come back »
Let’s give the lad a chance.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on August 17, 2019, 10:04:21 pm by Campsall rover »
No contest, Blair has to claim back that spot, right back or not. Halliday is league 2 in my opinion, out of position a lot, no pace & opponents go past him like he's not there. Leading up to their 2nd goal I was thinking go on stop the cross but he made a feeble attempt to, at least Blair would have put their player under pressure. Said after the first home game we are weaker in that position & nothing has changed my mind.
Good job DM is the manager then and not you.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on August 17, 2019, 10:16:09 pm by 5 on Tour »
Today might have been Halliday’s worst appearance for us so far but he’s been very good in the other games. James has been found out at times before today and no-one appears to be slating him. Give the lad a chance. It’s 3 league games into a season. If after 15-20 you’ve got the same opinion then fair enough but 3 games isn’t a great sample size.

After 10 games of last season I bet not one person on here would have picked a single Luton player to join us and look what happened there.

Matty is an amazing squad player to have as he will fill in 3/4 of the positions on the pitch but Halliday has the ability to really make the RB position his own for a long time for us.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on August 17, 2019, 10:28:19 pm by Campsall rover »
Today might have been Halliday’s worst appearance for us so far but he’s been very good in the other games. James has been found out at times before today and no-one appears to be slating him. Give the lad a chance. It’s 3 league games into a season. If after 15-20 you’ve got the same opinion then fair enough but 3 games isn’t a great sample size.

After 10 games of last season I bet not one person on here would have picked a single Luton player to join us and look what happened there.

Matty is an amazing squad player to have as he will fill in 3/4 of the positions on the pitch but Halliday has the ability to really make the RB position his own for a long time for us.
Agreed, good post. There are some unfortunately who have no patience and expect what is very much a new team to gel immediately.
All the players will improve individually as the season develops which will in turn improve the overall team performance.
It wasn’t perfect today by a long way, no one would say that, but we came out on top against the best team we have played so far.
That to me is a big positive.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #42 on August 17, 2019, 10:39:35 pm by dickos1 »
You do seem to talk to people like you’re the only person who’s entitled to an opinion

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on August 17, 2019, 11:00:54 pm by Campsall rover »
You do seem to talk to people like you’re the only person who’s entitled to an opinion
Dickos how many times have i said everyone is entitled to their opinion?
All I said was “good job DM is the manager” I said that because his opinion is the only one that really counts. What any of us thinks is irrelevant.

Last season most on here agreed right back was our weak link. Now we have got a proper right back some people want to go back to that weak link again.
I am not having a go at Matty Blair. He did a pretty good job considering he is not a defender.
Great professional and very useful squad player to have. Imo not good enough to start in any position with the players we now have in the squad.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on August 18, 2019, 12:38:11 am by RoversAlias »
Halliday was worse than bad today but he's stepping up a level and is still young himself. I liked his performance against Gillingham, going forward I think he has lots to offer but his positioning and ability to battle with defenders needs to vastly improve at the back.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on August 18, 2019, 12:51:09 am by Lesonthewest »

Just my opinion, this is a forum is it not? don't give a shiny one wether you agree or not.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on August 18, 2019, 01:06:13 am by Lesonthewest »
Dickos how many times have i said everyone is entitled to their opinion?
All I said was “good job DM is the manager” I said that because his opinion is the only one that really counts. What any of us thinks is irrelevant.

Last season most on here agreed right back was our weak link. Now we have got a proper right back some people want to go back to that weak link again.
I am not having a go at Matty Blair. He did a pretty good job considering he is not a defender.
Great professional and very useful squad player to have. Imo not good enough to start in any position with the players we now have in the squad.

If you think Halliday is a proper right back then you are watching a different game to me, but hey ho everyone is entitled to their opinion. Blair is the better of the 2 in that position for me.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on August 18, 2019, 07:34:41 am by Campsall rover »

Just my opinion, this is a forum is it not? don't give a shiny one wether you agree or not.
Yes it’s your opinion, that’s fine, I wasn’t trying to be confrontational. It’s is good we have different opinions and as you say that is what this forum is all about.

StocktonRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on August 18, 2019, 08:27:45 am by StocktonRover »
The biggest concern for me was Hallidays lack of pace compared to Blair’s.
If that can’t be improved by training or amending his positioning it will be a problem especially as opposition clubs will target that part of his game.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on August 18, 2019, 08:38:09 am by roversdude »
Halliday has looked a decent player so far, he’s not the quickest admitted, that was my worry yesterday - he either drifted into the centre or was deployed there tactically giving the Fleetwood players a head start. He will be a good player for us.
Matty is an amazing professional and has never let us down, I’m sure if we put him in goal he’d do a job for us lol

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on August 18, 2019, 08:57:37 am by Lesonthewest »

Yes it’s your opinion, that’s fine, I wasn’t trying to be confrontational. It’s is good we have different opinions and as you say that is what this forum is all about.

I never thought for one moment that mine is the only opinion & nobody elses matters. I based my opinion on what I have seen so far.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on August 18, 2019, 10:20:30 am by the vicar »

Yes fair point but most people I know acknowledged it was our weak spot.
it. Can't have been that much of a weak spot lol

Sod This For a Laugh

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on August 18, 2019, 11:58:36 am by Sod This For a Laugh »
2. Brad Halliday 5

Caught out on the right too many times, particularly for Fleetwood's second, and still not quite as positive going forward as he promised he would be.

From DFP player ratings. Think they have it about right.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on August 18, 2019, 02:48:36 pm by selby »
  We all see different things and want different things. To me they are like chalk and cheese.
    In possession Blair picking up the ball in defence going forward and trying to find a man in midfield or or wide is a nightmare waiting to happen, and usually found a opposition player. and countless times got a round of applause for sliding in on a recovery tackle that should have had no need to happen.
  When faced with an attacker, if he  could get him side on, he generally was able to get across the player with a tackle, but when squared up he was often run past.
  Halliday  I think has been told to tuck in. making the area smaller around the box, and putting himself between the side line and the area, and means that a wide man has more time to collect the ball, and yesterday Coutts and Rosssitter had the space and time to find their man wide because Sheaf and Whiteman were not quite on it, and Barton kept two men hugging the touch line, with Andrew and Coyle running from the back off them, giving our full backs two men coming at them.
   It is different to last season, and has worked Ok for the most part, but depends on a couple of midfielders filling the space in front of the back four, and consistently not giving the ball away, which we did in that area yesterday.
   Individually both full backs are better than what we had last season, and are being asked to do a much more complicated job. Blair to me is a good right sided wide  attacking player who can fill in  midfield and defence, but you have to accept he can be poor with his distribution, and inconsistent in those defensive positions. My own opinion of course others will disagree.

Rovers91

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on August 18, 2019, 02:54:15 pm by Rovers91 »
From what I've seen up to now, I'm not a fan of Halliday. I'd sooner have Blair. Ok, only 2 games in so not much to judge on. But for me he's not quick, his positional sense is not good, but worst of all is his ball distribution which at times is very poor.
Having said that, his ball distribution was not as bad as Anderson which at times today was appalling. Joe Wright can't come back quick enough for me.
Whiteman was also quilty of knocking 10 yard passes way astray today as well.
Thought John and James both played well

Anderson has been one of our best players this season before yesterday.

Plumbster

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on August 18, 2019, 05:12:29 pm by Plumbster »
When is Joe back- I know it was only a sub appearance but I thought he was superb at RB against Charlton

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on August 19, 2019, 09:02:43 am by mrfrostsdad »
Can’t believe what I am reading on here.
We have just beaten one of the better sides in league 1 and some of you still come up with a negative thread putting down our new right back.
Yes he makes some mistakes, yes he gets caught out at times because he is obviously told to get forward as much as possible.
That’s why we have 2 holding midfielders.
He has come up a division and it will take time to adjust to a higher league and playing against better teams.
To say you think Matty Blair is better in that position just shows how little imo some of you understand what you are watching.
We have now got 2 very good full backs and James for me is a big improvement on Andrew. Better tackler, quicker and better passer.
Only thing Andrew has that is better is his ability on set pieces.

Just because several people on here, including myself, don't like the look of Halliday, please don't say we don't know what we're looking at because we do, just as much as you. What that implies is we don't know what we're talking about because we don't agree with you.
And that is your argument straight out of the window. Accept that we all have different opinions, and up to now, that opinion is split. 👍👍

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on August 19, 2019, 09:33:05 am by wing commander »
  I fear a bit for Matty tbh,i think he's going to struggle now..DM seems to want to go in a different direction when it comes to wingers..I'm not sure where he is going to force his way into this team tbh and the bench wont appease him for long..Can see him moving on in January if I'm honest..Which is a shame because he's class on and off the pitch imo..

Barmby Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on August 19, 2019, 03:24:22 pm by Barmby Rover »
If we get another CH of the same quality as Cameron John, then play 3 at the back and have Matty and Reece Jones powering forward. That would be interesting.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on August 20, 2019, 07:11:56 pm by i_ateallthepies »

I agree thee games isn't nearly enough of a sample size, to say he's not good or to say that he is good.  I've been to both home games and been less than impressed with his positional play and lack of pace.  He'll get as long for me as the manager thinks he should get and you'll never hear me berate a player on the pitch.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012