Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 09:22:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Jonson Clarke-Harris  (Read 4306 times)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Jonson Clarke-Harris
« Reply #30 on August 19, 2019, 12:45:30 pm by MachoMadness »
If it’s been put on here and not taken off quickly then he won’t be coming here. Right age, right potential scored goals at this level we will wait and see who we get
True, although all the mods have full time jobs so I imagine they can't always catch stuff.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on August 19, 2019, 01:16:17 pm by Copps is Magic »
Marquis was prolific when we signed him wasn't he?

No. Wait.

We didn't sign Marquis for 900k either.

And we hadn't just sold a striker for nearly 2mil.

You can spin this shit any way you want.

I am not trying to spin anything.

I am talking about the value of a player. We signed Marquis on a free exactly because his record wasn't exemplary. And thank god it turned out well!

Do you know Marquis' scoring record in League One before we signed him? A goal every 4 games.

Do you know JCH's scoring record in League One to date? A goal every 4.5 games.

(And BTW Marquis' entire goal scoring record was much better even before coming to us than JCH in his entire career also)

So why would we sign a player for 900k who has a worse goal scoring record than Marquis did before he came here?

(I am not saying JCH cannot become a good player.)

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on August 19, 2019, 01:27:21 pm by Shawndrfc »
Copps I understand your logic in regards to his career stats but you also have to understand that recency bias is always a key factor when players are signed.

A player could have a relatively meh career and then hit the right spot and catch fire, like JCH did when he went to Bristol. These player are then picked up by a bigger club, some keep that form and go on to become good/great players and some fade away.

If we do end up paying a large fee for JCH then we need to hope that he carries the form on and produces that for for us. We have money due to the Marquis sale and teams know that so they will not settle for a low fee when they know that we want a player to replace Marquis and we have the money they are asking for.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on August 19, 2019, 01:37:23 pm by drfchound »
I would be happy with him signing, he’s progressed and still has scope to develop and get better too. But there’s nothing credible that I’ve seen to suggest he will be joining us.
he progressed for about 6 games last season, the one he scored on Saturday a 3 years old wouldn't have missed it

Comments like that always make me laugh.
I was talking to a bloke the day after the Charlton away semi final and mentioned the Marquis goal.
He said that he could have scored that one but had no answer when I asked him whether he could have laid the ball off to May then made a lung bursting fifty yard run into the box, lose his marker and then still head it in.

Shawndrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on August 19, 2019, 01:46:02 pm by Shawndrfc »
I would be happy with him signing, he’s progressed and still has scope to develop and get better too. But there’s nothing credible that I’ve seen to suggest he will be joining us.
he progressed for about 6 games last season, the one he scored on Saturday a 3 years old wouldn't have missed it

Comments like that always make me laugh.
I was talking to a bloke the day after the Charlton away semi final and mentioned the Marquis goal.
He said that he could have scored that one but had no answer when I asked him whether he could have laid the ball off to May then made a lung bursting fifty yard run into the box, lose his marker and then still head it in.

I agree, Tap ins and easy goals is all about be in the right place at the right time. JCH could of easily stopped when Smith was practically one on one with the keeper, but instead got into a position where he could get an easy goal.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on August 19, 2019, 03:14:42 pm by steve@dcfd »
If it’s been put on here and not taken off quickly then he won’t be coming here.

I suspect there’s some truth in that, Steve. Someone in the know would probably shift it to the rumour mill if there was anything in it.

As for the theoretical fee, it’s for the clubs to decide based on respective valuations. £900k would sound steep, but equally you’d expect to pay a substantial fee for a player with potential that has scored goals at this level.

I would under current values of players but others are still living in the past when it comes to paying for strikers. John Marquis was a free and we signed him going into League 2. If we are trying to sign a striker who scored goals at league one or Championship then the price will not be small neither will the wages.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012