Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:46:27 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Alfie may....again.  (Read 5862 times)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Alfie may....again.
« on August 24, 2019, 03:44:54 pm by drfchound »
Another really good effort today by Alfie May.
Caused problems for their defenders all the time and worked hard to back up the defence when Lincoln had the ball.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: Alfie may....again.
« Reply #1 on August 24, 2019, 03:50:37 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Worked some great positions and earned the opportunities to shoot. Just a pity he can't find the net.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on August 24, 2019, 03:53:11 pm by drfchound »
That will come.

5minstogo

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on August 24, 2019, 04:03:30 pm by 5minstogo »
Really needs a goal

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on August 24, 2019, 04:08:30 pm by Donnywolf »
Ran his socks off - generated a few chances BUT (no Shit Sherlock alert) he is never going to beat Shackell and that other CB when the ball is lumped up to him

Free headers all game for them especially using their experience to hold the attackers too far from the ball

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on August 24, 2019, 04:30:27 pm by selby »
  Nobody had a bad game today, we were up against afar more experienced side who are confident as well after two ir three years of success.
 I had my doubts about our line up before the game with Gomes, but he showed more than he has in previous games, and for all the free headers Wolfie, our pace up front scared them to death, and Alfie brought a great save from the keeper with a header from a corner.
   The winner was a great goal with the run on the outside and control at pace, and Taylor showing experience to get in space for the pull back from six yards out to stab home, from a position which is where most goals are scored.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 24, 2019, 04:32:25 pm by Campsall rover »
That will come.
Not sure it will hound. Just don’t think he is a goal scorer at this level.
His first touch and awareness has improved this season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 24, 2019, 08:25:43 pm by RoversAlias »
Another strong performance, he's an intelligent player with a tremendous will to play. He does need to improve his shooting and goals rate but I also think it will come. He's doing everything right.

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on August 24, 2019, 08:41:18 pm by elmsallrover »
Last league goal December

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on August 24, 2019, 08:47:20 pm by drfchound »
Copps doesn’t score many either but his contribution isn’t overlooked.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on August 24, 2019, 08:49:05 pm by Chris Black come back »
We need to forget about May scoring goals. Focus on what he is good at doing. He has taken a step up this season and it is not as a striker.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on August 24, 2019, 08:51:29 pm by drfchound »
Agreed, he has been well worth his place in the team although I do expect that he will get a few goals.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on August 24, 2019, 09:01:59 pm by Jonathan »
May has done well and is doing well, but Darren Moore spoke very openly about the need to produce in that role and May must do that. Coppinger, Sadlier and Taylor have all made telling contributions this season with big goals and assists and they are things that May needs to add to his game. He’s working very hard and definitely contributing with his endeavour, but in the front 3 (or 4) goals and assists are expected.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on August 24, 2019, 09:18:13 pm by Pancho Regan »
May has done well and is doing well, but Darren Moore spoke very openly about the need to produce in that role and May must do that. Coppinger, Sadlier and Taylor have all made telling contributions this season with big goals and assists and they are things that May needs to add to his game. He’s working very hard and definitely contributing with his endeavour, but in the front 3 (or 4) goals and assists are expected.

Absolutely correct Jonathan.

Belatedly, I’ve just read today’s Yorkshire Post and I’m very pleased to see DM praising Alfie for his attitude and endeavour whilst also explaining how the coaching staff are encouraging him to add goals to his game.

So our Manager knows what is required from Alfie.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 24, 2019, 09:29:07 pm by Bentley Bullet »
He would have had a couple of goals if not for some brilliant saves. Luck will go his way if he's given the chance. He's started five games, which is rare since he came here.

Former strikers like Marquis and Williams went a lot longer than five games on occasions without even looking like scoring, and that was under less pressure because of the knowledge that they probably wouldn't be dropped.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 09:37:13 pm by Bentley Bullet »

elmsallrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 24, 2019, 09:34:09 pm by elmsallrover »
But that's what goalkeepers get paid for

WarwickRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on August 24, 2019, 10:53:59 pm by WarwickRover »
When Jon Taylor gets match fit, Alfie will need to improve his goal record  if he is to retain his place in the team

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on August 24, 2019, 11:04:23 pm by Bentley Bullet »
So if May gets no goals but the players around him are scoring enough to win games and be unbeaten, and Taylor gets one goal but the players around him score fewer and we start losing games, Taylor gets the nod?

Woodhead Passer

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on August 24, 2019, 11:32:40 pm by Woodhead Passer »
Tries hard but he still can't produce an end product.

boro_rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2019, 12:05:26 am by boro_rover »
Moore obviously rates him and he is doing his bit by buying into DM’s game plan. I don’t think he will ever be prolific at this level, but his endless running will tire opponents and create space for the more natural finishers in the team. He has played his part in a good start to the season - and let’s face it, if we had faced Bolton on Tuesday we would probably have been joint top so let’s give all the players and staff some credit.

Canadian Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2019, 12:25:43 am by Canadian Rover »
If Alfie May was a new signing on the wing what would you make so far?

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 25, 2019, 12:30:30 am by sha66y »

Great player , great energy , a real asset

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on August 25, 2019, 12:31:57 am by BillyStubbsTears »

I'd be cautiously impressed. Good positional play. Good work ethic. Some very nice touches. A lot to do on final decision. Could go either way.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on August 25, 2019, 12:32:21 am by SydneyRover »
If he continues like this it will make it hard for DM to leave him out he took the attack into the area plenty of times.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on August 25, 2019, 12:43:30 am by dknward2 »
I'm sure DM will be putting no pressure on him as with the rest of the team just go out enjoy it and do what needs to be done.

He had 3 half decent chances today
1st he tried to put to Ennis after beating his man on the wing when a shot may have been better but hindsight. 2nd keeper got down well and made good save. 3rd same area as the second but he tried to get it higher and hit it high and wide. Just needs to keep going he'll get a goal soon enough.

Keep giving DM selection problems

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on August 25, 2019, 07:14:55 am by Alan Southstand »
That third opportunity was a great piece of build up be Alfie - he had half of Lincoln heading in the direction of Bentley, then he turned, took a touch and tried the curler. If it had gone in, it would have been as good as Ennis’ goal, but it wasn’t to be.

I did notice DM’s reaction to it, on the touch line, he was trying to blow it in!

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on August 25, 2019, 02:26:59 pm by PDX_Rover »
Really blossoming I feel. Massively improved player. He’s got it, I feel the goals will come with more practice. His instincts are very good.

ZiggerZagger

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on August 25, 2019, 05:06:33 pm by ZiggerZagger »
Love Alfie to bits, if only for his 100% effort every game, but, once the side settles I cant see him in the starting 11. Will he get in before Sadlier, Sterling, Ennis, Taylor, or a new centre forward if he actually signs this week. Personally, I cant see it. I think Copps will start less games too. 

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on August 25, 2019, 05:17:57 pm by selby »
  Canadian Rover, not as much as I think about the new winger who scored the winner for us, and controlled the ball to run the game down professionally a number of times after doing so.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on August 25, 2019, 05:40:30 pm by dickos1 »
Taylor would be starting already if May hadn’t been playing so well

TinyPortal © 2005-2012