Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:33:19 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Halliday  (Read 2610 times)

roversdude

• VSC Member
Halliday
« on August 24, 2019, 11:16:54 pm by roversdude »
After some of the unwarranted abuse Halliday had on here, I'm glad it's not knocked his confidence-solid game today

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: Halliday
« Reply #1 on August 24, 2019, 11:41:51 pm by Retdon1 »
I thought he was poor again, kept giving the ball away and left his man free at the back post for their goal, Idd play Blair next week. James on the other hand looks a very good signing.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on August 25, 2019, 12:18:52 am by BillyStubbsTears »
I thought he was poor again, kept giving the ball away and left his man free at the back post for their goal, Idd play Blair next week. James on the other hand looks a very good signing.

Counter that with the superb header he made from an identical position to stop us going 2-1 down.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on August 25, 2019, 07:11:27 am by big fat yorkshire pudding »
I'd just give the attacker credit. His movement beat Halliday. First stop the cross, second don't leave your full back 1v1 there.  Overall it was a good cross, good movement, good finish. Defenders cannot win them all.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on August 25, 2019, 07:18:25 am by Alan Southstand »
He definitely has a weakness for drifting inside. Not particularly for the goal they scored, he simply lost his man, but on quite a regular basis his natural movement is inside, rather than looking what’s on his outside. A lot to learn, yet.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on August 25, 2019, 07:24:32 am by 5 on Tour »
I think he can be great for us. Yes he has a few defensive issues with positioning at times but he’s still young and can adapt. However, attack wise he is a big asset. He keeps getting us moving forward and quickly and that’s what we have lacked at times from our right backs in the recent past.

Plus let’s be honest if Cameron John does any better we can play 1-5-4 and we’ll be fine.  :)

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on August 25, 2019, 07:27:57 am by sha66y »
Whilst he’s learning to adapt ( like so many it appears ) we are churning out good results, and scoring great goals,
Let’s face it every game is a “ meet and greet ya new team mates” kind of situation, and soon I believe the team will pick itself, and be a formidable machine that’s hard to beat and worrying to play against...

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on August 25, 2019, 09:07:37 am by Retdon1 »
I'd just give the attacker credit. His movement beat Halliday. First stop the cross, second don't leave your full back 1v1 there.  Overall it was a good cross, good movement, good finish. Defenders cannot win them all.

He lost his man simple as that, he constantly drifts inside. If he is to succeed at this level he needs to get that out of his game

bedale rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on August 25, 2019, 09:23:30 am by bedale rover »
He was in a no-win situation as he was on his own covering the middle and the far post so was always on a loser

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on August 25, 2019, 09:24:16 am by roversdude »
Does anyone know any Cambridge fans just wondering if it is something he has always done. Not the finished article but a much better game yesterday
Btw James is a massive upgrade on Danny Andrew

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on August 25, 2019, 09:25:08 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Yes, he made an important defensive header after losing the goal so, he can do it.

He also got on the end of a cross in the box at the other end with a decent header.

I would like to give him every chance and note write him off yet.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on August 25, 2019, 10:24:05 am by RobTheRover »
Cambridge fans loved him. Said he was their best player. The Ginger Cafu, they called him.

I thought he was very good yesterday. The goal Lincoln scored was an excellent ball and a fantastic finish, and the movement created that opportunity. One of the better goals scored by our opponents at the KMS, I'd say. I certainly wouldn't say Halliday was at fault in any way.

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on August 25, 2019, 10:27:26 am by bobbymax »
Got to say, I though he was at fault. Just switched off and not for the first time. That said, he can only get better as he adapts to this level. I'd echo thoughts about James, is looking an excellent signing and a much better defender that Andrew.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on August 25, 2019, 10:43:46 am by Jonathan »
Reece James looks to be better at both ends of the pitch than Danny Andrew. He’s solid defensively and crosses the ball very well on the run - much better than Andrew. The only thing he doesn’t have is Andrew’s set piece threat. But Coppinger’s delivery from corners has been good this season, we just need someone else to step up and offer the goal threat from set pieces. Sadlier would be my choice for that.

As for Halliday, he had a better second half than first, but he does seem positionally suspect. The goal is possibly harsh on him as he was left very exposed, but he did look to have switched off a bit.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on August 25, 2019, 12:00:43 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Does anyone know any Cambridge fans just wondering if it is something he has always done. Not the finished article but a much better game yesterday
Btw James is a massive upgrade on Danny Andrew

I'm struggling to think of a mistake James has made in the last 3 games. He looks the best LB we've had since Tommy Spurr and Gareth Roberts.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on August 25, 2019, 12:21:26 pm by pib »
Agreed on James, think he looks solid. Probably better defensively than going forward but yesterday he got into some really good attacking positions and put in 2 or 3 decent crosses, so it was good to see that side of his game too.

Halliday - let’s remember he’s still a relatively young player and all his first team experience has been in L2. Yes he’s been caught out a bit the last couple of games, but he’s still settling into the team and this level. I think I’ve seen enough to show he can improve and be a good player here.

streatham dave

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on August 25, 2019, 12:49:54 pm by streatham dave »
First game I managed to get to this season yesterday. I was happy with the result, but I didn't think Halliday played well. I'm not going to judge him on one game though as that would be unfair.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on August 25, 2019, 12:56:10 pm by NewDonny »
Reece James looks to be better at both ends of the pitch than Danny Andrew. He’s solid defensively and crosses the ball very well on the run - much better than Andrew. The only thing he doesn’t have is Andrew’s set piece threat. But Coppinger’s delivery from corners has been good this season, we just need someone else to step up and offer the goal threat from set pieces. Sadlier would be my choice for that.

As for Halliday, he had a better second half than first, but he does seem positionally suspect. The goal is possibly harsh on him as he was left very exposed, but he did look to have switched off a bit.

If we get genuine shooting chances on goal from dead ball situations you will probably see Sadlier on them, that free kick at the end which Taylor put himself on was because no one wanted to take the shot on as the obvious choice was to go sideways and hold the ball in those dying minutes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 01:25:43 pm by NewDonny »

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on August 25, 2019, 01:22:25 pm by selby »
  I wish I had £1 for every time ODriscoll waved his arms to narrow the defensive back four, yes he lost his man at the far post for the goal, but as was pointed out he had a free man inside him as well.
  The fact is, the last two goals we have given away were because, when having a chance to clear the ball in our left back area, and we had more than one chance to clear it in both games, we got no distance on clearing the ball away from the area, and the ball was centred from that area across our goal, and our goalkeeper stays on his line when the ball drops in the six yard area.
   There was more than Halliday culpable in both goals,initially the same players not getting distance on a clearance down the left hand defence area.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on August 25, 2019, 07:58:12 pm by Bessie Red »
I think the Cowleys saw him as our weak link as they seemed to target his area more than anywhere else. He has been bang average to date but with big Sam's guidance he will become a good defender I'm sure of that.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on August 25, 2019, 08:11:51 pm by Alan Southstand »
Big Sam?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on August 25, 2019, 08:17:54 pm by drfchound »
I think the Cowleys saw him as our weak link as they seemed to target his area more than anywhere else. He has been bang average to date but with big Sam's guidance he will become a good defender I'm sure of that.

Big Sam?

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on August 25, 2019, 08:20:45 pm by drfchound »

If we get genuine shooting chances on goal from dead ball situations you will probably see Sadlier on them, that free kick at the end which Taylor put himself on was because no one wanted to take the shot on as the obvious choice was to go sideways and hold the ball in those dying minutes.

Before Taylor took that free kick I saw him looking at DM, raising his arms in a questioning manner, asking whether he should shoot or play the ball wide so we could go back into the corner.
I commented on it at the time.
If we were instructed to take the shot, Sadlier would have been the better choice.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012