Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 05:09:29 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: One deal  (Read 17069 times)

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
Re: One deal
« Reply #120 on September 02, 2019, 06:04:18 pm by scawsby steve »
If players won’t sign we cannot make them.

COYR

How do other clubs do it?

You mean like Fleetwood and Lincoln? Who we beat with this sh*t, weak squad we've got.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on September 02, 2019, 06:05:36 pm by Jonathan »
Whichever way you dress it up, the fact of the matter is that all we have managed to do today is:

- Cancel the contract of a midfielder that played 42 times last season

- identify defensive cover that started the day as a free agent, and inexplicably turn that into a loan signing that cannot even join the match day squad unless we axe one of our other loan signings from it.

“Embarrassing” may be harsh. However, bearing in mind we know Darren Moore wanted to add to the squad, it can’t be far off the right word.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on September 02, 2019, 06:05:48 pm by sha66y »
Samaritans : 01302-327474
Child line.  : 0800-1111

Extra staff drafted in at 17.01 ...... go on ....ya know ya wanna!

Thanks If I have to read any more of your drivel I’ll be needing those

It’s only drivel because I’m ok with the outcome whereas you are angry, frustrated, feel let down and are probably going to reply to this .........but you won’t !

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #123 on September 02, 2019, 06:09:06 pm by dickos1 »
I won’t what?
Moore will be as pissed off as anyone on here I imagine.
He said the squad was far from the one he wanted and all that’s happened today is get rid of another contracted player

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on September 02, 2019, 06:09:37 pm by Filo »
Like I said a few days ago we’ve been strung along all summer, be patient was the mantra, we’ll we’ve been patient and here we are nurturing other clubs players for them, and without a contacted striker on the books. Mid table is all we can aspire to at best

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on September 02, 2019, 06:10:16 pm by mrfrostsdad »
What happened to the two strikers who had scoring records equal, or better than Marquis? The ones we were trying to sign?

I have theory, which may be well off the mark, and that's because we won't pay the wages they want or other clubs will pay.
Take Leon Clarke. Probably on £10k a week at Sheff United to do nothing for the next 12 months, or come and sign for us for maybe £3k a week? Even with a two year contract he'd still be losing money

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on September 02, 2019, 06:12:39 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
What happened to the two strikers who had scoring records equal, or better than Marquis? The ones we were trying to sign?

I have theory, which may be well off the mark, and that's because we won't pay the wages they want or other clubs will pay.
Take Leon Clarke. Probably on £10k a week at Sheff United to do nothing for the next 12 months, or come and sign for us for maybe £3k a week? Even with a two year contract he'd still be losing money

The moment that story came out i knew it'd come back to haunt them. Why say things like this i know everyone is desperate for new but imo be vague and tell us nothing till it's sorted and let it be a surprise.

Michael Gibson

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on September 02, 2019, 06:13:58 pm by Michael Gibson »
Time for answers from the top... certainly looks like something is seriously wrong and where’s all the money gone????

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on September 02, 2019, 06:19:17 pm by pib »
For me it’s not really a money issue. If the Bramall’s and Watson’s decided not to put another penny in, and were straight with the supporters that that was the case, no problems here.

It’s all this bravado coming out of the club about going for promotion again this year, having signings lined up, being in for players with pound-for-pound as good records as Marquis etc etc. that is pissing people off, because in reality the situation is either...

A) the money in fact ISN’T there
B) (more likely) the club doesn’t have the skills and expertise in-house to make sure these transfers are delivered

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #129 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:19 pm by redarmy82 »
The club want to adapt a short term strategy. Its as clear as day.

Why sign your own players, on lengthy contracts costing substantial money when you can fill a squad of loans and short term contracts?

McCann stated before he left that we were going to cap wages. Hence the lack of players willing to sign or renew their contracts.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #130 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:41 pm by Lesonthewest »
Completely & utterly embarrassing, hit a bad patch & the attendances will drop like a stone, seems we are looking to Moore to make a silk purse from a pigs ear. For the first time ever I am contemplating picking & choosing the games I go to, shoot me down I don't care but this reminds me of many years ago when we sold to survive, sorry but at my age I haven't got the time & energy to go through it again. Well done Rovers, you get in a good manager & for whatever reason fail to get the business done.

What if “whatever reason” is that the players that the manager wanted did not want to move?

Then we should move to plan B, which we obviously didn't have, & should be more pro-active,  no club should stagnate, we however are showing signs of make do & mend. I can't think of any club, in any league, that not only sell their star striker, but drastically reduce the wage bill over a few years & not replace them with their own contracted players, & signing players loaned from other clubs hoping the new manager will do the business with loanees. Budget, what budget.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on September 02, 2019, 06:22:58 pm by dickos1 »
When mccann left we were told numerous times we had a list of players all ready to sign.
Only one of them did because Moore had his own targets.
Which seem to be young kids on loan.
Marquis left and we were told we had two bids accepted for strikers with records on a par with marquis. Never happened
Then we moved into another target which we were getting but we weren’t sure if it would be a loan signing or permanent. Never happened

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on September 02, 2019, 06:27:53 pm by sha66y »
Whichever way you dress it up, the fact of the matter is that all we have managed to do today is:

- Cancel the contract of a midfielder that played 42 times last season

- identify defensive cover that started the day as a free agent, and inexplicably turn that into a loan signing that cannot even join the match day squad unless we axe one of our other loan signings from it.

“Embarrassing” may be harsh. However, bearing in mind we know Darren Moore wanted to add to the squad, it can’t be far off the right word.

That’s one version I suppose

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on September 02, 2019, 06:28:38 pm by sha66y »
When mccann left we were told numerous times we had a list of players all ready to sign.
Marquis left and we were told we had two bids accepted for strikers with records on a par with marquis. Never happened
Then we moved into another target which we were getting but we weren’t sure if it would be a loan signing or permanent. Never happened

And your point is ?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #134 on September 02, 2019, 06:30:21 pm by dickos1 »

And your point is ?

Not interested in your patter I’m afraid

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on September 02, 2019, 06:31:27 pm by sha66y »
I won’t what?
He said the squad was far from the one he wanted and all that’s happened today is get rid of another contracted player

How do you know he will be pissed off ?
and did he really say the squad was “ far from the one he wanted” ...really??
seems to be doing ok with the dregs of the barrel I guess....

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on September 02, 2019, 06:32:50 pm by sha66y »

And your point is ?

Ohhh!
You want me to melt down and scream my anguish !
Booooooooooooooo hooooooooooooooooo

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on September 02, 2019, 06:33:16 pm by redarmy82 »

And your point is ?

Ohhh!

Seriously, get a life.

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
« Reply #138 on September 02, 2019, 06:34:37 pm by MachoMadness »
I won’t what?

He said in the Free Press article posted today (maybe yesterday) that we're far from the finished article and to wait and see how the squad looks after 5pm today. Most people would say the squad looks weaker - hence their concern.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on September 02, 2019, 06:35:49 pm by dickos1 »
I won’t what?

If you did some research or even took a slight interest in the news coming from the club, interviews etc. It would help you.

mpc123

• VSC Member
« Reply #140 on September 02, 2019, 06:38:44 pm by mpc123 »
Top six and a nice couple of signings in Jan, can't wait for another great season. Switch the spoilt kid syndrome from the replies.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on September 02, 2019, 06:39:41 pm by drfchound »

And your point is ?

Ohhh!

Childish.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on September 02, 2019, 06:42:29 pm by drfchound »
Predictable defensive drivel from people  who’ve been telling everyone to be patient all summer.

The summer has been a disaster.

Mccann replaced the two full backs, and since then we’ve signed one player and a bunch of loan signings. That after losing 8 first team players from last season
Moore wanted players but the club couldn’t provide them

Embarrassing

Some of the biggest “be patient, there is plenty of time” posters are noticeably absent this evening.

sedwardsdrfc

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on September 02, 2019, 06:58:16 pm by sedwardsdrfc »
Must admit i was always of that mind because the fact was there was time and i thought the better players would come open when the other windows shut. Fully expected we'd get a Clarke type in which would be a decent signing where we needed. instead we loaned a free agent defender

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on September 02, 2019, 06:58:43 pm by RoversAlias »

Hard to argue with any of this.

I certainly won't be crying about any conspiracy like some, but I think what has happened is we have failed to get our targets, probably going down the list.

Our best XI is probably sorted bar a striker but behind that we are short in numbers and probably in quality too.

So questions do need to be asked of how we recruit and why it hasn't panned out this summer. And January needs to see some significant additions regardless of where we are in the table. Not replacing Marquis is going to make things tougher.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on September 02, 2019, 07:02:17 pm by Chris Black come back »
Can we perhaps remind ourselves that it was the stated intention of McCann (admittedly no longer our manager) to reduce the overall size of the squad. He wanted it smaller, not larger. Not saying this is a driving force behind our current recruitment strategy but 24 man squads are not always what a manager might want.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #146 on September 02, 2019, 07:05:35 pm by dickos1 »
He actually said he wanted quality over quantity, and he wanted to be a lot less reliant on loans.
So I don’t think anything he may of said is relevant now we’ve 6 loan signings in the squad.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #147 on September 02, 2019, 07:08:06 pm by Jonathan »
Can we perhaps remind ourselves that it was the stated intention of McCann (admittedly no longer our manager) to reduce the overall size of the squad. He wanted it smaller, not larger. Not saying this is a driving force behind our current recruitment strategy but 24 man squads are not always what a manager might want.

He also stated he wanted it to be made up of more permanently contracted players and fewer loans. So we certainly haven’t followed his blueprint to the letter.

The transfer window has shut. If we do secure another player it will be a free agent on a short term deal. We currently have seven players contracted to the club beyond the current season. That is pretty shocking.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on September 02, 2019, 07:15:24 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
The problem stems from mccann leaving though,we are on the back foot all summer.   McCann has a lot to answer for.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on September 02, 2019, 07:17:52 pm by NickDRFC »
The problem stems from mccann leaving though,we are on the back foot all summer.   McCann has a lot to answer for.

That’s true to an extent but should be something that’s worked on going forward. You look at a club like Southampton and they have a model that isn’t reliant on the manager - I think at our level it’s difficult to do that but we shouldn’t be completely reliant on the manager to shape the squad.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012