Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:39:48 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Rovers  (Read 7210 times)

dickos1

• VSC Member
Re: Rovers
« Reply #60 on September 03, 2019, 06:22:23 am by dickos1 »
Let’s go and spend our way into oblivion. Let’s pay 6/7 grand a week on 4/5 players get into the championship and be massively in debt.
Will then have some seriously happy posters on here won’t we.

It is obvious we are not going to go down the dangerous route that clubs like Fleetwood and Peterborough are doing.

Good managers don’t need to spend money on paying players inflated wages or spending money on ridiculous transfer fees on players past their sell by date.

Darren Moore is one of those managers who will get the best out of young players with hunger and ambition. He will create a fantastic team spirit in the camp and we will have a great season.
Mark my words all you doom and gloom merchants,  :crying: we are building the right way.  :woohoo:
Let’s see where we are in 3 yrs time compared to those 2 clubs i mentioned above.

No one is asking for that Campsall mate, but we was told we was going to get a striker in the same or better than JM, no body asked for that, all we want is a number 9 with a modicum of skill and goal ratio, it was the club that said all that, so it is human nature to get frustrated when we don't get even a crap one in. Then they said they wanted the right striker and we still get nothing. Some of the fans on here that think the sun shines out of the clubs bums said there is still time and to be patient, and we still don't get any one in, so how do they think people should react
Don’t you think Ennis & Sterling are capable of scoring 30+ goals between them this season. I do.
Sadlier and Taylor 10+ each. May, Whiteman, Coppinger, Gomes, 15+ between them.
Anderson, John, Wright, Sheaf, James and Halliday 10+ between them. That’s 75+ goals.
No guarantee of course but isn’t it better than relying on one striker getting 25 goals.
Look for the positives. Turn negatives into a positive.
All some of you want to do is look for the negatives. It’s not healthy and it’s a remedy for failure.

Do you seriously think Ennis and Sterling will score 30+ goals between them this season? I mean I hope you’re right, obviously, but that sounds very much like wild hope more than expectation. Both look to be promising players and I’m sure Wolves and Spurs will be happy to see them get game time. But 30+ goals.... really? That’s a very ambitious expectation on two young players. Wolves and Spurs will be rubbing their hands if they get anywhere near it!
Why not Jonathan. It’s possible with the service they will get. Not saying it’s certain of course but it’s possible. The point I was making is that there are goals from all the team. More than last season when we relied an awful lot on Marquis & Wilks.

How can you say there’s goals from all the team this season but last season there weren’t.
Why do you think sadlier, coppinger, May, whiteman, Anderson, Wright are going to score more this season than they did last.

I would argue we’ve lost goals from the likes of butler, Rowe, Andrew, Kane, who all regularly chipped in with goals.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #61 on September 03, 2019, 06:29:32 am by dickos1 »
Has anybody considered that there might be a reason why we only brought in one more player today.
The most obvious one is the players DM identified are asking or their agents are asking for ridiculous wages.
If what has happened to Bury and Bolton hasn’t registered with some of you yet then it’s time it did.
Yes of course i would have liked 2/3 more signings, i said as much.
It didn’t happen for a reason obviously.
I am not going to spit my dummy out and call the board liars or even idiots as in one post.
What i am going to do is turn up week in week out and support the manager & team. We have a good squad much better than some seem to think we have as will be proved imo.
What an opportunity for the likes of Amos, Blaney, Gomes, Longbottom, Boocock etc to show what they can do when they are called upon.
Some of you have been moaning for years our youth players don’t get an opportunity to become regular 1st team players.
Well now you might get your wish. Embrace it, or at least for heavens sake try.

We were ready to offer marquis a new contract which I’m pretty sure would have been substantial.
Therefore we have the money to offer without crippling the club, and there’ll be plenty of very good strikers out there who would be happy to get the wage we were prepared to offer marquis
Well obviously not Dickos or we would have signed one. Players like Clarke are sitting on big fat contracts and are prepared to sit them out or expect Rovers to match their wages.
We are not going to be held to ransom. Hence quality loan signings of young hungry players.
Don’t see a problem. You do that’s your choice.

Obviously not if that’s the argument you’re going to pedal.

Me, I don’t for a minute think we couldn’t have signed a good striker for the same money we got for marquis its astounding to suggest otherwise.

The summer has been a disaster, 8/9 first team players from last season have left and we’ve replaced them with 3/4 first team players and 6 players on loan, of which one can’t be in the squad.
Moore knows he’s needed more players and it just hasn’t happened, so now he’s got to go with what he’s got
“It’s a disaster” come on Dickos what happened to Bury was a disaster.
Our 1997/98 season was a disaster. I think you need to get a bit of perspective on this.

Forget the players who have gone and focus on the new ones.
Deing, Halliday, James, John, Donavon, Sheaf, Gomes, Taylor, Ennis, Sterling. ( 10 )
So some are loan players. So what, if they get us into the play offs then job done. If not so be it.
I think we will be in top 6. Let’s see. The jury’s out. 40 or 41 games to play ( Bolton? )
2 wins 2 draws so far with our ‘rubbish squad’  Only been together as a squad for a few weeks and will only get better. What’s not to like. Solvent club. Community orientated. Modern stadium,
Young hungry team with a great manager.

You have changed out of all recognition over the last 2 yrs Dickos. You used to defend all things DRFC Now you seem to be a very disillusioned supporter.

I am becoming disillusioned aye.
Two years ago we had a strong squad full of players who were ready to improve, players that were ours that we could develop and who could grow with us as we steadily improve.
We had an identity where we all knew what our strategy was, to sign young talented players and develop them,
Signings like whiteman, Andrew, mason, wright, lawlor, beestin etc.

Now we look like we’ve no plan, a squad full of loanees, a high number of players that are out of contract, no strategy with regards recruitment.
Not securing our targets and making last minute panic signings.
We had an exciting talented squad which was only going to improve, now we’ve a threadbare squad with not many of our own players in the starting 11.

And don’t get me started on the Crawford fiasco
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:21:24 am by dickos1 »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #62 on September 03, 2019, 06:34:21 am by Alan Southstand »
We still havn’t replaced TR, who was supposed to be replaceable, according to some on here, and Herbie has been a massive miss.

DM’s change of style of play has alleviated those 2 going to some extent, but we are weaker in the midfield area than we were last season. DM, of course, knows this and a midfield player was in his list of 3 requirements. We know the rest!

roverstillidie91

• VSC Member
« Reply #63 on September 03, 2019, 07:24:16 am by roverstillidie91 »
What people forget is that running a football club isn't about paying the manager, assistant manager, players etc. Everyone has to be paid including stadium stuff, youth team, youth team coaches, ticket office staff and even running costs such as lighting heating gas etc. We aren't going to be shelling out fortunes on transfer fees and wages I believe the long term plan is working we are doing well in the league and maybe Darren Moore has seen something in Sadlier to suggest he can score the goals needed to keep us further up the league. Plus maybe the board may be thinking in investing more in the Academy ? who knows.... I believe we need to be shrewd capture young players from non-league, released from premier league teams sell a few on and re invest

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on September 03, 2019, 07:31:08 am by Chris Black come back »
Has anybody considered that there might be a reason why we only brought in one more player today.
The most obvious one is the players DM identified are asking or their agents are asking for ridiculous wages.
If what has happened to Bury and Bolton hasn’t registered with some of you yet then it’s time it did.
I am not going to spit my dummy out and call the board liars or even idiots as in one post.
What i am going to do is turn up week in week out and support the manager & team. We have a good squad much better than some seem to think we have as will be proved imo.
What an opportunity for the likes of Amos, Blaney, Gomes, Longbottom, Boocock etc to show what they can do when they are called upon.
Some of you have been moaning for years our youth players don’t get an opportunity to become regular 1st team players.

We were ready to offer marquis a new contract which I’m pretty sure would have been substantial.
Therefore we have the money to offer without crippling the club, and there’ll be plenty of very good strikers out there who would be happy to get the wage we were prepared to offer marquis
Well obviously not Dickos or we would have signed one. Players like Clarke are sitting on big fat contracts and are prepared to sit them out or expect Rovers to match their wages.
We are not going to be held to ransom. Hence quality loan signings of young hungry players.

Me, I don’t for a minute think we couldn’t have signed a good striker for the same money we got for marquis its astounding to suggest otherwise.

The summer has been a disaster, 8/9 first team players from last season have left and we’ve replaced them with 3/4 first team players and 6 players on loan, of which one can’t be in the squad.
Moore knows he’s needed more players and it just hasn’t happened, so now he’s got to go with what he’s got
Our 1997/98 season was a disaster. I think you need to get a bit of perspective on this.

Deing, Halliday, James, John, Donavon, Sheaf, Gomes, Taylor, Ennis, Sterling. ( 10 )
So some are loan players. So what, if they get us into the play offs then job done. If not so be it.
I think we will be in top 6. Let’s see. The jury’s out. 40 or 41 games to play ( Bolton? )
2 wins 2 draws so far with our ‘rubbish squad’  Only been together as a squad for a few weeks and will only get better. What’s not to like. Solvent club. Community orientated. Modern stadium,

You have changed out of all recognition over the last 2 yrs Dickos. You used to defend all things DRFC Now you seem to be a very disillusioned supporter.

Two years ago we had a strong squad full of players who were ready to improve, players that were ours that we could develop and who could grow with us as we steadily improve.
We had an identity where we all knew what our strategy was, to sign young talented players and develop them,

Now we look like we’ve no plan, a squad full of loanees, a high number of players that are out of contract, no strategy with regards recruitment.
We had an exciting talented squad which was only going to improve, now we’ve a threadbare squad with not many of our own players in the starting 11.

Oh dear. A good night of sleep hasn’t helped.

Two years ago we were a lower mid-table team playing entirely forgettable football. Last season with some excellent loan signings we were a tiny whisker away from Wembley. This season we have had the best start to a league season in nearly 25 years, have scored in every game, remain unbeaten in the league and are effectively in the play off positions.

Different perspectives. Nothing to be downbeat or depressed about!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #65 on September 03, 2019, 09:18:21 am by IDM »

Ok Dickos, simple question.

What is more important to you, performances and results in the pitch, or how the club is run.?

Surely the latter only applies when the former falls over badly ie relegation or being close to that.?

We had a great season in the pitch last time and have started well this one.  Yet you are disillusioned  compared to two years ago.?

If you are so certain that our current squad can’t compete in the pitch then I envy your ability to predict the future.  Of course, you may be right and my own preference would be for a proper no 9, but rightly or wrongly we don’t, not yet..

Surely we should be focusing on supporting the team now.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #66 on September 03, 2019, 09:32:08 am by wing commander »
  My huge concern is nothing to do with a set position of any player more to do with the direction our club is going..Loans,loans and more loans we have invested absolutely nothing in our own future but have committed our clubs managers and coaches to developing players for everybody else on players that we have no chance of signing .As a team and club come the summer if we don't go up it will have all been for absolutely nothing as these players all go back to their parent clubs and we cant even raise a five a side team of our own..

It's all about balance and we have got it terribly wrong and I'm sorry questions have to be asked on this short term sticking plaster approach to our future development of players.We have no resale value at the club apart from Whiteman who we spent £300k on and is proof that these investments can provide a future and be cash generative..

The reality is and it cant be argued either by the board or SM that we have gone backwards compared to a lot of other teams in this regards..For me it's nothing to do with crying over not getting the players we individually want but not investing in anything at all...

As for the Marquis deal and not getting the money upfront,nobody rarely does that's how most of these deals work.However that's no excuse as far as I'm concerned because it works the other way too.We wouldn't have to pay upfront either for anybody we signed..

If the money isn't there fair enough,if the budget has been reduced which surely has to be the case when you look at the high earners who have left and the loans we've replaced them with again that's fair enough,living within our means is the most important thing..However that's not what we've been led to believe is the case..

On the whole we have a fantastic set of owners and senior management but that doesn't mean to say they cant be criticised and questions asked on what direction we are heading and those questions need answering...

RugbyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #67 on September 03, 2019, 10:02:29 am by RugbyRover »
  My huge concern is nothing to do with a set position of any player more to do with the direction our club is going..Loans,loans and more loans we have invested absolutely nothing in our own future but have committed our clubs managers and coaches to developing players for everybody else on players that we have no chance of signing .As a team and club come the summer if we don't go up it will have all been for absolutely nothing as these players all go back to their parent clubs and we cant even raise a five a side team of our own..

It's all about balance and we have got it terribly wrong and I'm sorry questions have to be asked on this short term sticking plaster approach to our future development of players.We have no resale value at the club apart from Whiteman who we spent £300k on and is proof that these investments can provide a future and be cash generative..

The reality is and it cant be argued either by the board or SM that we have gone backwards compared to a lot of other teams in this regards..For me it's nothing to do with crying over not getting the players we individually want but not investing in anything at all...

As for the Marquis deal and not getting the money upfront,nobody rarely does that's how most of these deals work.However that's no excuse as far as I'm concerned because it works the other way too.We wouldn't have to pay upfront either for anybody we signed..

If the money isn't there fair enough,if the budget has been reduced which surely has to be the case when you look at the high earners who have left and the loans we've replaced them with again that's fair enough,living within our means is the most important thing..However that's not what we've been led to believe is the case..

On the whole we have a fantastic set of owners and senior management but that doesn't mean to say they cant be criticised and questions asked on what direction we are heading and those questions need answering...

:that:

Spot on Winger Commander

What would people think if we became a "feeder" club for one of the big boys in the premiership? I think most people would be up in arms. Yet some would be quite happy to go along this path as long as the performances were ok.

Surely the heart and soul, the identity of the club, is more important than getting three points?

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on September 03, 2019, 10:16:32 am by Jonathan »
Worth pointing out that Anderson and Sadlier would also have a future resale value. However their contracts expire at the end of the current season. The word is that new deals will be offered, but it has to be a concern as to how long they might take to get over the line. They can negotiate freely with other clubs in a few months time.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #69 on September 03, 2019, 10:22:19 am by dickos1 »

Two years ago we were a lower mid-table team playing entirely forgettable football. Last season with some excellent loan signings we were a tiny whisker away from Wembley. This season we have had the best start to a league season in nearly 25 years, have scored in every game, remain unbeaten in the league and are effectively in the play off positions.

Obviously haven’t really read what I put.
We had a squad full of young talented players that were ours.
Not naming them all again for you but we had an identity.

You’re embarrassing yourself banging on about our best start for 25 years after 4 games.
Our start should be considered after ten games, last season we had 21 points after 10 games, let’s see how we’re doing this season in comparison.
I would put my house on our points tally being at least 25% lower.
Banging on about how well we’re doing after 4 games is nonsense

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #70 on September 03, 2019, 10:25:25 am by dickos1 »

Ok Dickos, simple question.

What is more important to you, performances and results in the pitch, or how the club is run.?

Surely the latter only applies when the former falls over badly ie relegation or being close to that.?

We had a great season in the pitch last time and have started well this one.  Yet you are disillusioned  compared to two years ago.?

If you are so certain that our current squad can’t compete in the pitch then I envy your ability to predict the future.  Of course, you may be right and my own preference would be for a proper no 9, but rightly or wrongly we don’t, not yet..

Surely we should be focusing on supporting the team now.

I’m disillusioned with the fact we’ve got rid of a number of very good league one players that were contracted to us and not replaced them.
I’m disillusioned with the fact the board keep telling us one thing but doing the opposite.

Almost every season we have a run of bad injuries but our squad can cope.
If we have 5/6 injuries this season then we’re in desperate trouble

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on September 03, 2019, 10:36:23 am by Chris Black come back »

Obviously haven’t really read what I put.
We had a squad full of young talented players that were ours.
Not naming them all again for you but we had an identity.

You’re embarrassing yourself banging on about our best start for 25 years after 4 games.
Our start should be considered after ten games, last season we had 21 points after 10 games, let’s see how we’re doing this season in comparison.
I would put my house on our points tally being at least 25% lower.
Banging on about how well we’re doing after 4 games is nonsense

Ok. So we will have at best 16 points after 10 games, but perhaps less?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on September 03, 2019, 10:41:16 am by dickos1 »
Yes

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on September 03, 2019, 10:42:29 am by Chris Black come back »
Ok.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #74 on September 03, 2019, 01:39:16 pm by RoversAlias »
2 wins, 2 draws and 2 defeats from the next six games would hit that target. I'd be satisfied with that return from the upcoming fixtures I think.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #75 on September 03, 2019, 02:06:21 pm by dickos1 »
I’d be delighted
Looking at the fixtures and the lack of depth to the squad.
But I don’t think we will manage it

TinyPortal © 2005-2012