Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 09:13:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Facebook  (Read 2052 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Facebook
« on September 12, 2019, 06:23:51 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Apart from having no mates, I had a gut instinct right from the start to steer clear of it.

This is why.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1172185220369539072

Morally bankrupt. It was originally developed as a tool to monetize people's private lives. And it's been hijacked for far, far worse ends.

We are f**ked if this monster is not brought under proper control.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
Re: Facebook
« Reply #1 on September 12, 2019, 07:01:52 pm by bpoolrover »
There are so many other forms like fb now even without it another 1 will pop up, have seen so many false things weather it be brexit the nhs or how America blew there own people up! I rarely use it anymore as most things are just there for a reaction

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 12, 2019, 07:05:57 pm by scawsby steve »
Apart from having no mates, I had a gut instinct right from the start to steer clear of it.

This is why.

Morally bankrupt. It was originally developed as a tool to monetize people's private lives. And it's been hijacked for far, far worse ends.

At last, something other than football that I can agree with you on. I wouldn't touch it with a barge-pole, and I'm seriously worried that my grandkids are never off it.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 13, 2019, 08:47:58 am by redarmy82 »

This is why.

The irony that you've posted a link to a Twitter post. Twitter itself has its own inherent problems.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 13, 2019, 08:57:56 am by BillyStubbsTears »
Yes it does, but not remotely in the same category as FB.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 13, 2019, 09:04:13 am by redarmy82 »

That's a matter of opinion.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on September 13, 2019, 09:10:39 am by Bentley Bullet »
Talking of hate speech, disinformation and conspiracy theories, thank god this forum is only read by a relatively small number of people in comparison.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 13, 2019, 10:34:47 am by GazLaz »

It’s not if you dig under the surface.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 13, 2019, 10:56:22 am by BillyStubbsTears »

Twitter's problem is bots and trolls.

FB's is far worse. It's a systematic profiling of people's interests, which is then used to keep them hooked into the site by feeding them stuff to titliate/enrage them so that they are advertising fodder. That's FB's business model. That's bad enough, but it's been hijacked to undermine democratic processes in numerous countries.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 13, 2019, 11:05:11 am by redarmy82 »

FB's is far worse. It's a systematic profiling of people's interests, which is then used to keep them hooked into the site by feeding them stuff to titliate/enrage them so that they are advertising fodder. That's FB's business model. That's bad enough, but it's been hijacked to undermine democratic processes in numerous countries.

I've made a career from marketing and advertising, and run an business which is primarily focused on Facebook advertising. Blood on my hands, eh?

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 13, 2019, 11:26:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
We all have to look ourselves in the mirror.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on September 13, 2019, 11:37:04 am by Bentley Bullet »
On reflection, I'd give that left-wing rag a miss.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 13, 2019, 01:09:25 pm by GazLaz »

If someone is giving you something for free it’s likely that you are the product.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 13, 2019, 01:32:03 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
A few months ago I was on the phone to our lass and we were talking about buying some new boxing gloves for my nephew. A few hours later she logs into Facebook and guess what’s being advertised on there...dodgy as fcuk

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 13, 2019, 01:57:56 pm by redarmy82 »
A few months ago I was on the phone to our lass and we were talking about buying some new boxing gloves for my nephew. A few hours later she logs into Facebook and guess what’s being advertised on there...dodgy as fcuk

Coincidence, that's all.
If you're implying Facebook were listening to your phone call, it simply doesn't happen.
The same with people who think their Amazon Echo's are listening all the time, it's a load of crap.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 13, 2019, 03:17:37 pm by Axholme Lion »

Coincidence, that's all.
If you're implying Facebook were listening to your phone call, it simply doesn't happen.
The same with people who think their Amazon Echo's are listening all the time, it's a load of crap.

Is it though? I thought all internet technology could spy on you?
I wouldn't want a smart meter for the same reason. I don't want some faceless whoever turning off my washing machine or fridge just because it suits them to do so.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 13, 2019, 03:21:35 pm by GazLaz »

Coincidence, that's all.

I wouldn't want a smart meter for the same reason. I don't want some faceless whoever turning off my washing machine or fridge just because it suits them to do so.

Have you lost the plot!? Hahaha

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 13, 2019, 03:57:52 pm by Nudga »
I have noticed recently that when I upload pictures with friends or family in them, Facebook automatically tags those people in them without me doing it, as long as these people are on Facebook themselves.
So they are using facial recognition.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 04:02:21 pm by Nudga »

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 13, 2019, 04:10:57 pm by Axholme Lion »

Coincidence, that's all.

The reason they are pushing smart meters is so they can control an internet enabled household items. Many fridges and washing machines will be internet enabled as time goes by so you can control them from a smart phone. When there is a surge in demand on the national grid, such as when everyone is charging up their electric cars they will be able to turn off your appliances.
This will not be necessary on the Isle of Axholme as three power cuts per week is standard in any case.

albie

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 13, 2019, 04:21:25 pm by albie »
If you must use Facecrook then at least take some basic security precautions;
https://techxplore.com/news/2019-09-facebook-defends-tracking-moveeven-app.html

Best not to use it at all....but if you do, you are giving Zuckerberg permission to shine a torch up your arse!

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on September 13, 2019, 04:29:22 pm by Bentley Bullet »
Aye, they shined a torch up Jeremy Corbyn's arse but found nothing there.........Only his head.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 13, 2019, 05:02:03 pm by jackthelad »

Coincidence, that's all.

The reason they are pushing smart meters is so they can control an internet enabled household items. Many fridges and washing machines will be internet enabled as time goes by so you can control them from a smart phone. When there is a surge in demand on the national grid, such as when everyone is charging up their electric cars they will be able to turn off your appliances.
This will not be necessary on the Isle of Axholme as three power cuts per week is standard in any case.

You've lost me, I think you are overthinking things.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 13, 2019, 05:06:36 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Coincidence, that's all.

If it is then it’s a hell of a coincidence don’t you think?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on September 13, 2019, 06:01:41 pm by redarmy82 »

Coincidence, that's all.

If it is then it’s a hell of a coincidence don’t you think?

Do you like or follow any boxing related pages on Facebook? More likely you're being targeted as a result of that.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012