Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:22:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Blackpool game  (Read 3774 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« on September 15, 2019, 12:21:17 pm by selby »
  We have had a great start in the league this season, and Blackpool are on a five game winless run in league games, and have been training today (Sunday) because their manager is not happy with the performance  against MK Dons yesterday.
  That spells danger to me, when a team is hurting there is often a reaction in games they are not expected to do well in, and in past games I have watched us play Blackpool, they have not been easy on the eye, in fact have been at times agricultural, but have always been a big competitive, physical side, and always with Gnanduillet leading the attack an arial threat.
  The way we played at Ipswich, I would keep the same starting line up injuries allowing. People on other threads are questioning whether we are a better team this season than last. My opinion which counts for nothing is, the back four is, the midfield is as good ( Sheaf is getting better by the game) Whiteman is getting more consistent as well as improving and more experienced Coppinger is Copps, and as a unit will match any in this division, as the lauded Ipswich midfield found out, with Blair and May also doing well, and the front lads have also played well, as others have said the worry is if we have a number of injuries and the depth of cover we have.
  If we play as well as we have been playing we can worry any side at this level.
    Can we carry on with our good unbeaten start?
    As a young side, do you think we will suffer playing three games in a week? 
    Have we the depth to cover injuries?
    Blackpool will be a different type of threat, are we ready for an ariel bombardment and physical challenge?
  Lot's to discuss, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

dknward2

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Blackpool game
« Reply #1 on September 15, 2019, 12:46:14 pm by dknward2 »
Think Blackpool will start fast to try and get the early goal then sit back to protect the lead and against us that's dangerous think we need to score first really put the pressure on them.

Can we carry on with our good unbeaten start?

Yes going for a 3-1 win.
As a young side, do you think we will suffer playing three games in a week?
Only in Bolton. Ours have already done that and were fine.

Have we the depth to cover injuries?
Short term yes I think so, we have cover for each area just means the bench would be thin.
Blackpool will be a different type of threat, are we ready for an ariel bombardment and physical challenge?
Think we will be ok just move the ball quick and avoid any heavy challenges

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 15, 2019, 12:53:07 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
If we can keep the ball off them, we can inflict more pain on them. They  will be dangerous if we give away set pieces and free kicks but I don't think they will be any better than what we've faced to date.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 15, 2019, 02:55:15 pm by Alan Southstand »
Most teams in this league have got to play 3 games this week. However, none will have a more difficult 3 that we are having to face - Ipswich/Blackpool/Peterborough. If we come out of those 3 (and we’ve started we’ll) with 5 points, I’ll be more than happy.

Copps is the one player we are going to have to be careful with, as the intensity will be high, and I’m not sure who will cover (maybe Sadler?).

The back 4, the 2 Ben’s are shoe-in’s right now, so that only leaves the front 4 to rotate.

Looking forward to our next 2 home games!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 15, 2019, 03:55:28 pm by Campsall rover »
I don’t think this team needs or will be  (as it hasn’t so far) worried about going a goal down.
Yes it’s never easy playing against a packed defence.

If we move the ball as quickly as we have been doing and with our pace in our forward positions, i don’t think many teams will survive our onslaught for more than 30 mins.
Our attacking full backs are going to be pivotal this season especially Reece James who has the pace and ability to get past his man on the outside to the byline and get quality crosses in.

Can see Sadlier and possibly May starting on Tues as i think DM is going to mix it up a bit this season especially when we have a midweek game. He has got all our offensive players involved so far and all seem to be comfortable with the fluid system DM has implemented.
Either Blair & or Taylor might give way or he could rest Copps completely or be Sub with ‘Posh’ in mind next Sat.

We just need to keep playing to our strengths and let the opposition worry about us. They will or at least should be that’s for sure.

I wouldn’t want to be a manager trying to plan how to stop us right at this moment in time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 03:59:02 pm by Campsall rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 15, 2019, 04:00:59 pm by Alan Southstand »
I wouldn’t want to be a manager trying to plan how to stop us right at this moment in time.

That is a very good point, Campsall.
 :)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 15, 2019, 04:08:03 pm by the vicar »
We have to be a bit wary of them with 2 big lads up front

Bezza

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 15, 2019, 04:41:39 pm by Bezza »
If we get a bit tired after Tuesday we can just call the Peterborough game off and have a rest.

Wiltshire Exile

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 15, 2019, 04:49:17 pm by Wiltshire Exile »
If we get a bit tired after Tuesday we can just call the Peterborough game off and have a rest.

👍 !

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 15, 2019, 04:51:22 pm by Campsall rover »
You have just won the BEST post of 2019 with that.

Can see DF’s face when he found out. There would be hell on. He would go berserk.
EFL it’s over to you. Sort it.

Love it. Brilliant.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 15, 2019, 04:56:08 pm by Chris Black come back »
Their league record this season away from home is not too bad - W1 D2 L1. Although their only away win in league has been away to the absolutely dire Southend United so it barely counts. They did though manage to put two past Coventry City in losing 3-2 there last week.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:43:34 pm by Chris Black come back »

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 15, 2019, 10:58:34 pm by jackthelad »
I would take any sort of win. Don't care who scores, let's just keep the run going and get some momentum going into the weekend.

The buzz is returning.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on September 17, 2019, 01:27:26 pm by selby »
  I am bringing along a couple of visitors from Holland tonight, who both went to the Barnsley v Leeds game on Sunday, and were very impressed by the standard of play for a second tier game, let's hope they are similarly impressed with third tier standards tonight.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 17, 2019, 02:15:46 pm by 5 on Tour »
Based on the form of both teams this should be a good win for us. However form counts for nothing once the whistle blows. I would much rather be DM preparing to deal with Blackpool than the other way around.

What are they going to try and counter? Passing, pace, determination, control, a never say die attitude, pressing... the list goes on.

As far as selection the back 7 are sorted. The front 4 are situational. If they have a very strong left wing(they don’t seem to) then play Matty for the extra protection otherwise I’d go with Sadlier for the constant threat of that rocket in his boot. I’d put May back in on the left for rotation purposes. Copps behind Ennis. However, is this the game to give Copps a rest and play Sadlier behind Ennis and keep Matty or Taylor in?

I don’t think the run ends tonight. 3-1 to Rovers.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on September 17, 2019, 03:09:45 pm by selby »
  If everyone is fit, I cannot see many changes from the starting eleven at Ipswich, especially against Blackpool who are big and physical, and tend to miss out playing pretty football in midfield, by going long down the channels and direct.
  I am hoping for us to get an early goal, and try and make them chase and alter their game.

Cbrover24

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 17, 2019, 03:39:10 pm by Cbrover24 »
Personally I’d put Sadds in for Copps, with the intention of bringing him on in the last 25/30 minutes to change the game, if we are winning, great, but if we are drawing or losing, Copps could be the difference to swing the momentum back in our favour! Basically same team that started last game, but Copps switched with Sadds or May! Just my opinion tho!  :cool:

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 17, 2019, 03:47:16 pm by RoversAlias »
As I stated in my preview on ITEN, I think Sadlier needs to start tonight. We will need a bit more creativity to impose ourselves on Blackpool, they're a vulnerable prospect defensively but I expect them to set up to contain tonight. I'd bring him in for Blair as Taylor seems to be getting a bit of a run going now, and playing two direct wingers isn't necessary at home against a side like Blackpool whereas it was a smart move at Ipswich which worked well.

If Copps wasn't fit enough to start tonight then that's a different story, I'd bring May back in out wide and have Sadlier at #10 but I expect Coppinger to start anyway.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 17, 2019, 03:58:04 pm by Chris Black come back »
If everyone fit then go with

Lawlor
Halliday
Anderson
John
James
Sheaf
Whiteman
Taylor
Copps
Sadlier
Ennis

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 17, 2019, 04:15:18 pm by scawsby steve »

Lawlor
Halliday
Anderson
John
James
Sheaf
Whiteman
Taylor
Copps
Sadlier
Ennis

That's a great line-up Chris.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 17, 2019, 04:22:37 pm by Reesielad »
I’ve been monitoring their forums and they’re expecting a very difficult game tonight with the majority happy to snatch a point. It seems that most have lost confidence in Grayson already

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 17, 2019, 05:37:12 pm by drfchound »

Lawlor
Halliday
Anderson
John
James
Sheaf
Whiteman
Taylor
Copps
Sadlier
Ennis

I would be happy if we go with that.

Jersey Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 17, 2019, 05:40:00 pm by Jersey Rover »
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gomes and Sadlier and possibly Allie in tonight with another big game coming up on Saturday. Bit of squad rotation

South East Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 17, 2019, 05:54:11 pm by South East Rover »
Wouldn’t be surprised to see Gomes and Sadlier and possibly Allie in tonight with another big game coming up on Saturday. Bit of squad rotation

"Allie" He's not our player any more  :)

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 18, 2019, 09:38:45 am by selby »
  Well, a disappointing result, with our known failings combining to bite us in the backside, and Blackpool predictably exploiting our lack of a cutting edge up front, and a line keeper who does not control his box( does anyone else think they should have had a penalty when he came to punch and missed and was all over their player).
   Ennis probably learnt more in that game than all the others, was dominated by a big lad who never let him collect the ball, or get goal side, and he showed his lack of experience by not pulling wide more often, especially in the first half his movement stats must have been well down, although he did improve in the second half when Coppinger came on.
   When playing against big strong well set up teams, Alfie May just has not got the ability to compete, and has not had for the last three seasons, and Blairs distribution is always suspect, so if the manager is not going to play Coppinger in midfield every game, I am sorry, but we need a much needed alternative who can play a bit in that area of the field, if we are to cash in on a decent start to the season.
  All things that were predictable before the game, because we have seen it repeated over more than one of the past seasons, and now such as Rowe and Marquis are not here is all the more evident in games like this.
   Credit to the Blackpool manager, his game plan worked a  treat, they out fought us, and out thought us.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 18, 2019, 11:51:12 am by Metalmicky »
There were 2 occasions in the 2nd half last night when I thought we may have been too honest and that other teams in similar circumstances would or may have got penalties.  The first was when Ennis was found in the box and skipped over the arms of the keeper, only to see him pushed wider and then ultimately have his shot cleared on the line.... and the second was when May collected the ball just inside the box and again skipped over a lunging challenge, got his shot away, only to see it deflected for a corner.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on September 18, 2019, 12:41:06 pm by Pancho Regan »
There were 2 occasions in the 2nd half last night when I thought we may have been too honest and that other teams in similar circumstances would or may have got penalties.  The first was when Ennis was found in the box and skipped over the arms of the keeper, only to see him pushed wider and then ultimately have his shot cleared on the line.... and the second was when May collected the ball just inside the box and again skipped over a lunging challenge, got his shot away, only to see it deflected for a corner.

I said exactly the same last night regarding the Ennis incident.
I don't want to see diving but the keeper made contact and had Ennis gone down, it could well have been a pen. Credit to the lad for keeping going though.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 18, 2019, 02:29:09 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
On another day we could have still won that game.

Some credit to Blackpool getting blocks in etc. The game also highlighted weaknesses when we're not getting shots off when there's opportunities, sometimes just taking one touch too many, or recycling the ball across the edge of the box again. Another weakness is too many blind/hopeful crosses rather than picking someone out. There were a couple that nearly came off but by enlarge the crossing was meat and drink to the keeper or too easy to clear.

Overall, we didn't play badly, just some things didn't quite come off.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on September 18, 2019, 02:49:11 pm by Alan Southstand »
Disagree, DBR, I thought we played badly but credit must go to Blackpool for shutting us down. I’ve never seen so many wayward passes in one game and not just by one culprit - they were all as bad as each other!

The biggest problems we have, though, are up front, where Niall Ennis was roughed up something shocking, with absolutely no protection from referee or Lino, and are attacking 3 were all much of a muchness.

DM told everyone that the squad wasn’t complete before the window slammed shut and that we needed a striker and an attacking midfielder and here we are, crying out for them. In contrast, Blackpool subbed 2 strikers off and brought 2 on (that we’d have loved to bring on). This ‘getting them over the line’ comment is starting to grind on me, as each day goes by!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on September 18, 2019, 03:09:26 pm by RoversAlias »
The two they brought on weren't a luxury though, they were the two top scorers for Blackpool who usually start every game. Grayson played a tactical blinder, sacrificing his best attackers in order to set up in a formation that nullified our playing style, then bringing Gnanduillet and Kaikai on as a different threat later on. It worked perfectly.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on September 18, 2019, 03:30:35 pm by Alan Southstand »
Missed the point, Alias, the facts are that Blackpool had 4 strikers in their squad last night. We had 1.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012