Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:34:21 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: My new second favourite club.  (Read 4343 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
My new second favourite club.
« on September 15, 2019, 09:59:59 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Having read the Ipswich forums on yesterday's match, I don't think I've ever seen a fairer, more balanced and more knowledgeable and set of comments.

I normally return from sorties into other club's forums feeling like Andy Dufresne emerging from a seemingly endless pipeline, devoid of light and subtlety, and filled with the excremental outpourings of the most challenged in society. Thankful to be free again, but shamed at the lost time. And depressed at the thought that, for every Red Redding, there are a hundred Bogs Diamonds.

But the Ipswich forum. I reight enjoyed reading it. I hope they finish one place behind us this year.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

acacia94

• VSC Member
Re: My new second favourite club.
« Reply #1 on September 15, 2019, 10:41:21 pm by acacia94 »
I concur BST. Walked behind and listened to em pouring out yesterday and measured good words about us by the Town fans I could hear.
'Really impressed by Donny, they were really good and brilliant support'
'We were lucky to get away with that one. If they'd got Championship firing strikers we'd have got done 0-3'
'They were the best I've seen upto now'

nice one rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on September 15, 2019, 10:51:02 pm by nice one rovers »
I remember, they were the first away game after Billy Sharp’s sad loss. They were really respectful.
He scored against them and they gave him an ovation.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2019, 10:54:22 pm by nice one rovers »

CoventryRed

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on September 15, 2019, 11:25:57 pm by CoventryRed »
Yup. Same experience here. Waited outside the ground for the traffic to clear up a bit and had some of their fans come over on several occasions to compliment us on how impressive we were, the lovely football we had played and how they felt we were the better team. Caught me off guard a little bit to be honest. A refreshing change, a great set of fans and a seemingly thoroughly decent club!

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on September 15, 2019, 11:37:49 pm by RedJ »
One of not many grounds down south where I've had to openly mix with the home fans walking back to my car and not felt like I was going to be stabbed, which is always nice.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on September 16, 2019, 12:16:24 am by BillyStubbsTears »
John Wark.
Arnold Muehren
Kevin Beattie
Bobby Robson.
Sir Alfred Ramsey
Roger Osbourne. Can you hear me Roger Osbourne.

You lot are alreight.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 16, 2019, 06:56:54 am by donny dave »
If you go on the forum they have a topic about Tom Anderson.
They also liked Whiteman,Ennis, and Lawlor.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:50:27 am by donny dave »

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on September 16, 2019, 06:59:52 am by donny dave »
Bye the way how long a contract has our Tom got.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on September 16, 2019, 07:22:25 am by donny dave »
I think the way we are playing we are going to get a lot of interest in our players in January.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on September 16, 2019, 07:30:06 am by Donnywolf »
Im massively a tractored to them too

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on September 16, 2019, 07:38:31 am by idler »
That's it Wolfy, plough on with a furrowed brow.
They seem like real fans and hopefully will have a good season. So many bigger clubs that come down expect to beat everybody and demand respect foe what they have been rather than what they are.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 16, 2019, 07:41:54 am by drfchound »
They also liked Whitman,Ennis, and Lawson.

Good player that Lawson.
Whitman not too bad either.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 16, 2019, 07:46:47 am by Chris Black come back »
Bye the way how long a contract has our Tom got.

Runs out next summer. Can talk to other clubs from January.

GazLaz

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 16, 2019, 08:17:50 am by GazLaz »
I remember, they were the first away game after Billy Sharp’s sad loss. They were really respectful.

That was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever been to. Never witnessed anything like it.

donny dave

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on September 16, 2019, 09:25:46 am by donny dave »
They also liked Whitman,Ennis, and Lawson.

Sorry  I had a brain freeze and couldn't  think of his name.
I've  corrected  it  now.
Cheers

Good player that Lawson.
Whitman not too bad either.

Bollinger

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on September 16, 2019, 10:24:23 am by Bollinger »
I remember going there - 2009 ? - when we won 3-1 and Hayter and Heffs ran them ragged. The Ipswich fans were queueing up to pay compliments all the way back to the station. I put it down to the fact they hated their boss at the time and were pleased that they were one more defeat along the road to his sacking, but return visits have proved me wrong.

Living Cambridge way I get a few Ipswich fans in my orbit and I get the impression that despite their succees in the 60's and under Bobby Robson they've never been a Leeds-type club who think of themselves as having a 'rightful place' at the top table. They're an average sized town that have regularly punched above ther weight and the fans seem to be able to keep that perspective.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on September 16, 2019, 10:53:14 am by 5 on Tour »
The Ipswich fans were fantastic outside the ground. They were happy to talk, show you around and make you feel thoroughly welcome. Not only were they complimentary about us after the game but they were even cheering Norwich on to win against Citeh. Favourite away trip in recent memory.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on September 16, 2019, 12:58:54 pm by drfchound »
I would imagine that every football fan (should that be supporter?) in the country, except Citeh fans, were cheering for Norwich.

Highland Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on September 16, 2019, 01:25:36 pm by Highland Rover »
Overheard one Ipswich fan predicting a 5-0 home win (there's always one ! ) but then met a couple of more reasoned fans who wished they had signed Copps about 10 years ago and were worried that he would score against them again

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on September 16, 2019, 01:45:32 pm by 5 on Tour »
I would imagine that every football fan (should that be supporter?) in the country, except Citeh fans, were cheering for Norwich.

I would imagine so but can you imagine cheering for Rotherham or Lincoln and even having a thread about it? Didn’t Citeh play Rotherham in the cup last year? And this forum was hoping for double figures. They were openly cheering their main rivals just because it was a surprise.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on September 16, 2019, 01:56:12 pm by Retdon1 »

That was one of the most memorable games I’ve ever been to. Never witnessed anything like it.

Was that the game we won 3-2 ? Seem to remember Diouf scoring a couple

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on September 16, 2019, 02:17:00 pm by Reesielad »
https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/blame-me-if-you-want-for-town-v-donny-draw-1-6272172

Some good words about us in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on September 16, 2019, 03:01:36 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
Yes suddenly their appears to be a lot of mutual respect (luvins) at the moment but wasn't it Ipswich fans who turned on Micky McCarthy and wanted him out of the club so they could get out of the division and the rest is just as what happened when Charlton fans wanted rid of Curbishley.

In fact they achieved their aim of getting out of the division :thumbdown:

we all knew (Gaz backed them for relegation) what was going to happen last season

I hope Lincoln win it but I hope more than anything that the Cowley's stay there for a few years and build up a legacy.

What's happening at Sincil Bank has similarities with another team who play in red and white, about 15 years ago.

Ipswich (at last) are positioning themselves nicely for a relegation challenge next season (how the hell were they joint top with Brighton for a while last season) having mutually "allegedly" split from the McCarthy -who knew how to keep them up with no frills

when I last looked the Cowley's were hot favourites

cowlies are now 2/1

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alan-pardew-west-brom-ipswich-14487802

Twice I've seen "pretend seriously injuries"  to their goalkeepers to deliberately stop play for long long periods of play (once against Forest Green maybe Arsenal the other) to take more than the sting out of the game --  players then all go to the manager for pretend drinks of water etc ---  let's see if he pulls that stunt off tommorrow

acacia94

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on September 16, 2019, 09:06:49 pm by acacia94 »
I reckon there was a fork in the road on satdi where some things just clicked and came together. Its been a funny old Summer and even the most rampant optimist must have been thinking what the f**k is going on?
That first half performance was nothing short of stunning. We knocked it around Town like they weren't there. OK the goal didn't come but its about moments, experiences, places that come together that are more than the sum of the parts. Good solid away ground with bags of noise potential with an old proper roof. The Wonderwall on the terrace and in the bar at HT were superb and well the 'Big Dave had a dream' to Sloop John B was close as you're gonna get to art. Splendid stuff. Its erm not looking bad is it?

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on September 17, 2019, 08:15:11 am by 5 on Tour »
The poor bloke behind the bar at half time couldn’t hear what my 8 year old ordered 4 times. He was given half the meals behind the counter before he got what he wanted!

tractor

« Reply #25 on September 18, 2019, 10:24:40 am by tractor »
Yes suddenly their appears to be a lot of mutual respect (luvins) at the moment but wasn't it Ipswich fans who turned on Micky McCarthy and wanted him out of the club so they could get out of the division and the rest is just as what happened when Charlton fans wanted rid of Curbishley.

we all knew (Gaz backed them for relegation) what was going to happen last season

'ello. Ipswich fan here. Dropped by cos I'm nosey. You lot are alright, ya know.

A thing on this Mick McCarthy nonsense, though - cos we get this thrown at us ALL the time by other fans and especially the press. NOBODY wanted MM gone because we thought we should be getting promoted. Well, if a small minority did, they're idiots. We know how small our club is in terms of spending power and we sometimes used to punch above our weight.

But under MM, football was TURGID. Opposition fans used to give us stick for playing awful hoofball and defending a 0-0 draw with 11 men behind the ball. Then, as soon as we said, 'We hate playing hoofball and defending a 0-0 lead with 11 men behind the ball,' we were suddenly this awful fanbase with ideas above our station.

Truth is, none of us wanted to get relegated. BUT, look at us now - we take 3,000 to away games in League One. We've had 24,000 at home in League One. That's more than we were getting in the Championship. Sure, it's easier to get a crowd when you're winning, but it's also because the team, manager and club are back as one with the supporters again, whereas MM used to seem to like antagonising the fans if they dared to suggest that it's not that much fun paying £25+ every week to go and watch a team play awful football.

Anyways, just my tuppence. You'll be alright this season! In contrast to someone else's comment above, I hope you finish one place below us...  :lol:

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on September 18, 2019, 06:10:53 pm by idler »

'ello. Ipswich fan here. Dropped by cos I'm nosey. You lot are alright, ya know.

A thing on this Mick McCarthy nonsense, though - cos we get this thrown at us ALL the time by other fans and especially the press. NOBODY wanted MM gone because we thought we should be getting promoted. Well, if a small minority did, they're idiots. We know how small our club is in terms of spending power and we sometimes used to punch above our weight.

But under MM, football was TURGID. Opposition fans used to give us stick for playing awful hoofball and defending a 0-0 draw with 11 men behind the ball. Then, as soon as we said, 'We hate playing hoofball and defending a 0-0 lead with 11 men behind the ball,' we were suddenly this awful fanbase with ideas above our station.

Truth is, none of us wanted to get relegated. BUT, look at us now - we take 3,000 to away games in League One. We've had 24,000 at home in League One. That's more than we were getting in the Championship. Sure, it's easier to get a crowd when you're winning, but it's also because the team, manager and club are back as one with the supporters again, whereas MM used to seem to like antagonising the fans if they dared to suggest that it's not that much fun paying £25+ every week to go and watch a team play awful football.

Anyways, just my tuppence. You'll be alright this season! In contrast to someone else's comment above, I hope you finish one place below us...  :lol:
One place below might be good enough to get us up you never know.😉
Good luck for the rest of the season and I hope you keep enjoying the football.👍

TinyPortal © 2005-2012