Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 08, 2024, 12:39:59 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Lawlor’s distribution.  (Read 1915 times)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
Lawlor’s distribution.
« on September 18, 2019, 08:49:16 am by Colin C No.3 »
Very poor again last night.

My brother said “What does he practise all week?”.

Granted he doesn’t have a big front man to aim for as an obvious target but dear me, he made some poor choices which ended up with the ball coming straight back at us. And that ‘pass’ to their forward ending up in him having save in a one on one just put the top hat on it.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Lawlor’s distribution.
« Reply #1 on September 18, 2019, 09:03:37 am by drfchound »
Very poor again last night.

My brother said “What does he practise all week?”.

Granted he doesn’t have a big front man to aim for as an obvious target but dear me, he made some poor choices which ended up with the ball coming straight back at us. And that ‘pass’ to their forward ending up in him having save in a one on one just put the top hat on it.

That particular pass was a shocker but overall he was good with his distribution.
Just hoofing the ball forward to someone up front isn’t a good option even if we had Peter Crouch up there.
More often than not the defenders win those balls.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on September 18, 2019, 09:12:49 am by Pancho Regan »
He frightened me to death several times by passing the ball out to one of our defenders who was immediately under pressure from a Blackpool player.

Blackpool cottoned onto this and on one occasion had FOUR players taking up positions just outside our box anticipating the short pass.

Granted, Lawlor was short of options for the longer ball at times but I felt he could have done better.

Thank heavens he redeemed himself with the save from his misplaced pass to their centre forward.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on September 18, 2019, 09:15:14 am by since-1969 »
It’s hard to criticise a keeper who in most games has little to do but focus his attention on the other end of the pitch and wait for mistakes to happen and when they do save the team from loosing a game . He is a brilliant keeper and if he commits a error of judgement  then it falls on his shoulders to sort it . NO:1 in my book .

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on September 18, 2019, 09:18:34 am by Pancho Regan »
It’s hard to criticise a keeper who in most games has little to do but focus his attention on the other end of the pitch and wait for mistakes to happen and when they do save the team from loosing a game . He is a brilliant keeper and if he commits a error of judgement  then it falls on his shoulders to sort it . NO:1 in my book .

I'm not slating him as a keeper, he just scared me at times last night with his distribution.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on September 18, 2019, 09:37:35 am by sha66y »
He frightened me to death several times by passing the ball out to one of our defenders who was immediately under pressure from a Blackpool player.

Blackpool cottoned onto this and on one occasion had FOUR players taking up positions just outside our box anticipating the short pass.

Granted, Lawlor was short of options for the longer ball at times but I felt he could have done better.

Thank heavens he redeemed himself with the save from his misplaced pass to their centre forward.

I saw that Pancho ...and my lad said why doesn’t whiteman or Sheaf move into the empty space created in the middle of the park and ask for the ball instead of standing on the defenders toes...
He had a point!

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on September 18, 2019, 10:13:55 am by 5 on Tour »
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. His distribution is fine. His decision making however is complete garbage. Great pass to the wrong person is useless. That’s what he does over and over.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on September 18, 2019, 11:40:35 am by since-1969 »

I'm not slating him as a keeper, he just scared me at times last night with his distribution.
Error of judgement.

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on September 18, 2019, 03:33:42 pm by glosterred »
We shouldn’t just criticise Lawlors passing last night, they were all as bad as each other. They struggled to string two passes together all night

COYR

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on September 18, 2019, 11:58:10 pm by jackthelad »
I agree with the above, it's not necessarily his distribution, that's fine most of the time.

He does however pass the ball in the wrong areas or when it's better to kick it long and vice versa. This also factored in with his reluctance to come of his line and it highlights that his decision making isn't brilliant.

He's a steady away goalkeeper though at this level and I'm sure it's something that will improve over time, he's still young and I think sometimes a lot of people just use him as a scapegoat.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on September 19, 2019, 08:19:48 am by NickDRFC »
Surely passing the ball in the right areas is a big part of a goalkeeper’s distribution? And if choosing the right pass is a problem for Lawlor, distribution is an area that needs working on?

It reminds me of what Eric Morecambe said “I’m playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order”.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on September 19, 2019, 09:03:19 am by jackthelad »
Surely passing the ball in the right areas is a big part of a goalkeeper’s distribution? And if choosing the right pass is a problem for Lawlor, distribution is an area that needs working on?

It reminds me of what Eric Morecambe said “I’m playing all the right notes, just not necessarily in the right order”.

Too a certain degree, it could do with improvement. It's not all the time though. Most of the time he is solid.

As you would expect with any league one goalkeeper, he's not perfect.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on September 20, 2019, 11:37:56 am by Move DRFC »
Lawlor's had a really good start to the season overall tbf. One of Dieng's main strengths is distribution so Ian will know he will need to improve it. Not too concerned

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on September 20, 2019, 12:40:25 pm by Bristol Red Rover »
For at least the next few games the opposition will pressure him on this shorter passes out from the back. He'll be under instruction to play the ball out to our defenders whenever possible.

Playing Dieng would be the right chess move in this.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012