Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:35:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Best player  (Read 5008 times)

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
Re: Best player
« Reply #30 on October 11, 2019, 01:11:54 pm by chrisd_123 »
Diouf is by far the most talented player we've ever had.

Agreed. In terms of talent Diouf is right up there. Was far too good for our side at the time. One bit of joy in a very joyless spell.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

southwestexile

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 11, 2019, 02:06:21 pm by southwestexile »
Ronald de Boar in his prime could orchestrate a whole game. Saw him play against Wales (I know but they had some quality players in Hughes, Southall et al). De Boar outshone the whole Dutch team that day and they had some brilliant players.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on October 11, 2019, 02:53:06 pm by ravenrover »
Has to be Alick for Rovers bit by far the most talented player I have ever seen live has to be George Best but I still detest MUtd

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 11, 2019, 06:47:42 pm by hamiltonrover »
In 36 years, Herbie Kane between August and December last season is right up there. Others include Redfearn, Mike Jeffrey, Kieran Brady, Stock, Sharp, Andy Rhodes and of course Copps

Best ever in my time has to be Gazza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 12, 2019, 08:07:26 am by mrfrostsdad »
I reckon it's almost impossible to compare sportsmen from one generation to an earlier one, especially football, because the game has changed so much. For that reason I would go with Ronaldo every day of the week.
Best Rovers player? Copps has done it for so long, I'd go with him. I did see Alick towards the end of his career, maybe 64ish, by which time he was slow and overweight. Still had a hell of a shot on him though

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 12, 2019, 11:36:38 am by Draytonian III »
Rovers - Ian Snodin , who if he had been fit all his career would have played for England and maybe even captained them .
Others - very difficult as I’ve seen loads of class players many of them past their best  Bremner ,Nichol, Southall,Newell 😉 but I did see Tony Currie and Chris Waddle in dee - dar land have superb matches.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 12, 2019, 11:42:09 am by Chris Black come back »
They are correctly:

Kieron Brady
Steve Nicol
Ronald de Boer
Billy Sharp

BiargeBob

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 12, 2019, 12:00:14 pm by BiargeBob »
King Alick for me, but Copps comes close.
 Mickie Elwis carried the team when he was here. All time favourite Tony Coleman.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 12, 2019, 12:46:09 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Ian Snodin is head and shoulders the best player we've had in my time. For those of you who are too young, imagine the passing of Brian Stock combined with the hardest tackling you've ever seen and leadership qualities to demand everyone else follows his lead.

And that was at 18 years old.

Best player I ever saw live. Gascoigne in Paul Malcolm's testimonial was utterly incredible. In a proper match, it would be Davor Suker in Euro96. A privilege to experience.

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 12, 2019, 01:16:26 pm by Nudga »
Ian Snodin is head and shoulders the best player we've had in my time. For those of you who are too young, imagine the passing of Brian Stock combined with the hardest tackling you've ever seen and leadership qualities to demand everyone else follows his lead.

Best player I ever saw live. Gascoigne in Paul Malcolm's testimonial was utterly incredible. In a proper match, it would be Davor Suker in Euro96. A privilege to experience.

BST, I've played against Ian Snodin and can vouch for the hardest tackle.
I have a nice stud shape scar on my right shin where Snods went through my shin pad.
It's the proudest scar I have.
He was around 35 at the time, I was in my early 20s and I was quite rapid.
Snods had no pace but I couldn't get near him because his reading of the game was out of this world.
He could make the ball do what ever he wanted and sprayed 40/50 yard missiles all over the pitch.

I used to love a battle and was a very aggressive player but again, Snods had this controlled aggression where I felt every single tackle, block or shoulder barge.

After the game I felt I'd been in a car accident, no exaggeration.

Not sure if he payed me lip service after the game but he thanked me for giving him a good work out and that I'd had a very good game.
He said he'd left Birmingham (I think) and was keeping himself fit in the hope he got a contract at Burnley.
The summer after, he was Donny manager.

Red wizard

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 12, 2019, 01:30:47 pm by Red wizard »
They are correctly:

Kieron Brady
Steve Nicol
Ronald de Boer
Billy Sharp
I saw Brady when we had him on loan and I remember thinking how much better he was than anything I had seen before play for rovers. I was about 13 years old. Like some posters have pointed out you can't compare different generations as times have changed. Copps has to be the best anyone of us has seen for rovers. Pure class.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 13, 2019, 04:17:39 pm by graingrover »
Alick and Gregg ...agreed

OurAlfsLad

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 13, 2019, 10:52:41 pm by OurAlfsLad »
I have given this thread plenty of time so I could have a good read because Alick is the no.1 by far so I just wanted to read which others would be mentioned, being a big fan of Laurie sheffield and Rufus Brevit I was amazed by one player I thought was a class player for DRFC an d has not received a mention and that is Tony Coleman..... I sit back and take the abuse...

bradford exile

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 15, 2019, 10:09:46 am by bradford exile »
For Rovers it has to be Alick, that little dip of the shoulders just before he was about to shoot, or the way he could go past a couple of defenders as if they weren't there. Closely (and very, very closely followed by copps) still the best hat trick from any player against Southend I can ever remember.

Other than Rovers it has to be Pele, saw him at Sheffield Weds in a friendly playing if I remember rightly for Santos in 1972.

Santos if I'm right were World Champions at the time

He was mesmerising that night,saw him send Springett and 20,000 on the kop the wrong way for the penalty.

Regards

Ray

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 15, 2019, 01:10:49 pm by Pancho Regan »

BST, I've played against Ian Snodin and can vouch for the hardest tackle.
I have a nice stud shape scar on my right shin where Snods went through my shin pad.
It's the proudest scar I have.
He was around 35 at the time, I was in my early 20s and I was quite rapid.
Snods had no pace but I couldn't get near him because his reading of the game was out of this world.
He could make the ball do what ever he wanted and sprayed 40/50 yard missiles all over the pitch.

I used to love a battle and was a very aggressive player but again, Snods had this controlled aggression where I felt every single tackle, block or shoulder barge.

After the game I felt I'd been in a car accident, no exaggeration.

Not sure if he payed me lip service after the game but he thanked me for giving him a good work out and that I'd had a very good game.
He said he'd left Birmingham (I think) and was keeping himself fit in the hope he got a contract at Burnley.
The summer after, he was Donny manager.

Excellent tale that Nudga, really enjoyed reading it!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 15, 2019, 02:05:44 pm by Campsall rover »

100% agree BST Ian Snodin is by far and away the best player i have seen play for Rovers. ( 1975 onwards for me. )  If it hadn’t been for injury I am sure he would have been an England full International.

Best player in an individual performance i have ever seen in a match i attended well that’s a difficult one.
3 players spring to mind Johan Cryuff ( Leeds v Barcelona ) Jimmy Johnstone ( Leeds v Celtic ) Eddie Gray ( Leeds v Burnley )
2 players who were consistently brilliant were Billy Bremner & Johnny Giles for Leeds.

But I think Gazza was the most talented English footballer of my time 1962/3 season through to the present time.
George Best the most talented UK footballer, although he never played very well against Leeds as Paul Reaney one of the most underrated full backs there has been, had George in his pocket.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 02:24:59 pm by Campsall rover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012