Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:27:34 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: A footballing lesson  (Read 6590 times)

tyke1962

• Forum Member
Re: A footballing lesson
« Reply #30 on October 19, 2019, 07:55:38 pm by tyke1962 »
The second automatic spot looks up for grabs to me , other than Ipswich Town the league seems to be more equal this year than last when you had Luton , Barnsley , , Portsmouth , Sunderland and Charlton significantly better than the rest with all five capable of an automatic spot at various stages of the season .

I'm not convinced looking at the table tonight that some of the clubs who occupy the top 6 places can last the pace with all due respect to them in terms of squad depth and budget in the January window .

Very interesting to observe and if Rovers can put a good unbeaten run together then they will be right in the mix for second spot .

Thanks Tyke  :thumbsup: We are hoping for a postive January window to give us a bit of impetus (especially up front) and some depth of backup.

How was your performance today under the new manager? On the face of it a good point against a good Swansea side? Hopefully things will pick up for you soon.

Should have won the game , cudda wudda shudda I'm afraid .

Created more chances to win three games never mind one , Swansea were there for the taking .

Got to put them away at this level and we just aren't good enough in front of goal .

At least we have an easy game on tuesday night to pick up points ................. WBA ....away ....... :suicide:

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 19, 2019, 08:10:18 pm by NewDonny »
I thought it was a commanding performance without the commanding scoreline, as everyone has said already. Bristol did start the first half well and we’re pressing high up the pitch, but 2 things changed all that, the missed penalty (which I thought was contentious), followed by a team goal, put away be Sadlier. That took the steam out of them.

Second half, the pressing receded and the spaces opened up and then it was a question of how many. But only Jon Taylor’s follow-up, from Ennis, is what we ended up with. Shame.

We still need that striker, but it’s easy to forget that, after that performance.

Started and finished by Sadlier in fact.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 19, 2019, 11:49:24 pm by NickDRFC »
I thought it was a commanding performance without the commanding scoreline, as everyone has said already. Bristol did start the first half well and we’re pressing high up the pitch, but 2 things changed all that, the missed penalty (which I thought was contentious), followed by a team goal, put away be Sadlier. That took the steam out of them.

Second half, the pressing receded and the spaces opened up and then it was a question of how many. But only Jon Taylor’s follow-up, from Ennis, is what we ended up with. Shame.

We still need that striker, but it’s easy to forget that, after that performance.

Started and finished by Sadlier in fact.

Sadlier’s flick inside was brilliant and opened up a lot of space but you’re exaggerating to say he started the move. It started with the keeper and was built out from Daniels & James.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on October 19, 2019, 11:52:04 pm by PDX_Rover »
Well 2-0 was not what we deserved form a one sided match .  :scarf:

True. But I’ll take the points and the quality of the performance. We were magnificent.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 19, 2019, 11:55:18 pm by PDX_Rover »

Alan, the missed penalty wasn’t contentious mate. He definitely missed it.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 20, 2019, 12:06:26 am by Colin C No.3 »
We settled after 1st 15-20 minutes then grew into the game. Our passing & movement was as good as I’ve seen thus far.

Our energy levels as the game went into the 2nd half were phenomenal & Bristol just ran totally out of gas.....see what I did there?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 20, 2019, 12:44:42 am by RoversAlias »
I would love to see our Expected Goals from today. We created a lot of good, clear chances and put enough away to win which is terrific. Ennis was superb up top and ably assisted by Taylor, Sadlier and Coppinger. Behind them, Whiteman ran the show and was supported excellently by Sheaf. James and Halliday marshalled the touchlines well and both Daniels and Anderson were rock solid, shutting down Bristol's front line completely. Dieng saved a penalty and claimed everything he had to.

Back to front then a brilliant performance from us deserving of all the praise tonight.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 20, 2019, 08:33:45 am by dknward2 »
Yesterday stats

TLOD.                BR
Possession.       61.7                38.3
Total shots.       26.                  9
On target.         7.                    4
Off target.         6.                    2
Blocked.           15.                   3
Corners.           9.                     2
Fouls.               9.                     12

Great to see us back to the dominant display hopefully more of the same on Tuesday

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on October 20, 2019, 08:48:06 am by Colin C No.3 »
There may be some posters missing tonight guys
Unfortunately not. “Ennis & & Sadlier should have scored when put straight through on goal, Sheaf & Whiteman had 3 or 4 shots, or was it 13 to 14 & Anderson also....blah, blah” same old, same old.

What do these people want?!

As I’ve said previously, that second half was as good as I’ve seen us play this season. Totally ran the game.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 08:54:04 am by Colin C No.3 »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 20, 2019, 08:52:32 am by the vicar »
We still can’t convert the chances 4-0 would have flattered them !

Rubbish. Hit the bar and some good blocks. But hey, trust you to have something to moan about after that.
I don't care how many we score as long as we score more than the other team

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on October 20, 2019, 08:54:34 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I thought Ennis for all his effort was a bit like Bamby on ice at times, losing his footing on a few occasions. He didn't look quite on it which is probably due to a bit of match rustiness. I'm sure a confident Ennis would put that chance away but thankfully the rebound fell to us for a change

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on October 20, 2019, 08:56:19 am by redarmy82 »
Thought we were excellent yesterday. The midfield is really starting to click, and that was Sheafs best game for us.

Add that striker that we need, and we will be up there.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 20, 2019, 09:10:28 am by the vicar »
The second automatic spot looks up for grabs to me , other than Ipswich Town the league seems to be more equal this year than last when you had Luton , Barnsley , , Portsmouth , Sunderland and Charlton significantly better than the rest with all five capable of an automatic spot at various stages of the season .

I'm not convinced looking at the table tonight that some of the clubs who occupy the top 6 places can last the pace with all due respect to them in terms of squad depth and budget in the January window .

Very interesting to observe and if Rovers can put a good unbeaten run together then they will be right in the mix for second spot .
they all are nothing sorted yet all teams have dips and Ipswich are no different

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 20, 2019, 09:12:21 am by Campsall rover »
If you look at the stats from all the league 1 games yesterday we were by far and away ahead in the number of shots at goal. We had 26 the next highest was 14
It was the same two weeks ago against Portsmouth. ( how we lost that match is beyond me ) we were way ahead of anyone else.

If we still had Marquis he would have scored at least 7/8 goals for us (possibly more) with the sheer number of chances we are creating.
We are one player away from being a top 2 team in this league.
Yes we could do with a couple more to give us squad depth of course.
But our best starting 11 with a proven goal scorer in it, is as good as anything in this league imo.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:14:52 am by Campsall rover »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on October 20, 2019, 09:16:23 am by IDM »
I too advocate having a proper number 9, but would our playing style be different if we have, and would we create the same chances?

I’m all for giving Ennis a good chance, hopefully with Sterling to return and we can see what January brings.

The reports this week in the DFP are encouraging on the transfer and contract fronts, so between now and then we need to keep working hard to bring the results in.  One game at a time..
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 11:22:46 am by IDM »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #45 on October 20, 2019, 09:27:10 am by sha66y »
There may be some posters missing tonight guys
Unfortunately not. “Ennis & & Sadlier should have scored when put straight through on goal, Sheaf & Whiteman had 3 or 4 shots, or was it 13 to 14 & Anderson also....blah, blah” same old, same old.

What do these people want?!

As I’ve said previously, that second half was as good as I’ve seen us play this season. Totally ran the game.

Still a dick....

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 20, 2019, 11:20:12 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
The way we play, chances can fall to anyone (Sheaf's chance for example) and we need to be a bit better in converting those chances however, with a goalscorer it's likely he would convert more chances that fell to him or he'd create more chances of his own.

I think what DM will want is a goalscorer that still contributes in open play and creates with assists as well as scores.

If you take Paddy Madden for example, not a big lad but can seem to smell out a chance by getting into the right positions more often than not and has that knack of doing what's necessary to get the ball over the line.

adamtherover

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 20, 2019, 02:16:52 pm by adamtherover »
If you look at the stats from all the league 1 games yesterday we were by far and away ahead in the number of shots at goal. We had 26 the next highest was 14
It was the same two weeks ago against Portsmouth. ( how we lost that match is beyond me ) we were way ahead of anyone else.

If we still had Marquis he would have scored at least 7/8 goals for us (possibly more) with the sheer number of chances we are creating.
But our best starting 11 with a proven goal scorer in it, is as good as anything in this league imo.
ennis,  is a strange one, total commitment and effort,  yet has only got one goal to his name.  But that for me, isnt a problem, he brings so so many other players into the game. I've never seen anyone control so many high balls.  No flick ons, just actually brings the ball down, and plays someone in.  Hes our version of Olivier giroud,  might not score many, but still an Important asset.. 👍👍

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on October 20, 2019, 02:25:53 pm by NickDRFC »

ennis,  is a strange one, total commitment and effort,  yet has only got one goal to his name.  But that for me, isnt a problem, he brings so so many other players into the game. I've never seen anyone control so many high balls.  No flick ons, just actually brings the ball down, and plays someone in.  Hes our version of Olivier giroud,  might not score many, but still an Important asset.. 👍👍

I've only seen Ennis play a couple of times (yesterday & at Ipswich) and he's got fantastic energy and work ethic but I wouldn't compare him to Giroud (even a League One equivalent). A lot of our moves yesterday broke down with him miscontrolling, and I actually think he looked quite clumsy at times, though to be fair that might be just him being rusty after his injury.

For me it's imperative to me that we get a striker in in January - Ennis has done really well but with Sterling unlikely to return for a while (if at all?) we can't just rely on him. I think that if we get that final piece of the puzzle we could have an absolutely storming second half to the season.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 20, 2019, 02:32:07 pm by NewDonny »

I've only seen Ennis play a couple of times (yesterday & at Ipswich) and he's got fantastic energy and work ethic but I wouldn't compare him to Giroud (even a League One equivalent). A lot of our moves yesterday broke down with him miscontrolling, and I actually think he looked quite clumsy at times, though to be fair that might be just him being rusty after his injury.

For me it's imperative to me that we get a striker in in January - Ennis has done really well but with Sterling unlikely to return for a while (if at all?) we can't just rely on him. I think that if we get that final piece of the puzzle we could have an absolutely storming second half to the season.

It's his energy and work ethic coupled with his explosive pace over 10 yards that turns what look like lost causes into opportunity for us. He may not score many goals this season but I would rather his work ethic and endeavour up front that Kwame or Sterling any day. We have missed him whilst he has been out injured.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 20, 2019, 03:01:53 pm by Filo »

It's his energy and work ethic coupled with his explosive pace over 10 yards that turns what look like lost causes into opportunity for us. He may not score many goals this season but I would rather his work ethic and endeavour up front that Kwame or Sterling any day. We have missed him whilst he has been out injured.

Have you seen enough of Kwame or Sterling to form that opinion?

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 20, 2019, 03:23:11 pm by NewDonny »

Enough to know that neither of them have Ennis's explosive pace and energy.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 20, 2019, 04:34:02 pm by Jonathan »

Enough to know that neither of them have Ennis's explosive pace and energy.

It’s a fair opinion based on everything we’ve seen so far. Ennis is all action and key to the way we’ve played when we’ve been successful. Sterling was far more contained in his movement in his few appearances to date. And, with no disrespect to Thomas, I’d be very surprised if any of our fans said they’d prefer him to Ennis...

TinyPortal © 2005-2012