Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 11:56:40 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Thomas  (Read 4601 times)

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
Thomas
« on October 13, 2019, 10:00:34 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Hi I've not been to Oxford or Rotherham. Can anyone comment who's been how he's played? Good attributes/ bad. What he brings different as that's what Moore said.

Did Solihull release him as they didn't want him?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Retdon1

• Forum Member
Re: Thomas
« Reply #1 on October 14, 2019, 09:05:18 am by Retdon1 »
I watched the Oxford game. To me he looked no where near good enough. I spoke to a Notts county fan at work last Friday about him. He said he was very poor for them to the extent that the crowd used to cheer when they brought him off.

wabtec

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on October 14, 2019, 09:15:06 am by wabtec »
As i have said on the other thread he was absolutely useless and bone idle,he is one who pretends to challenge and work hard but he doesnt.the cheer when he went off at Oxford tells it all.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on October 14, 2019, 09:16:43 am by IDM »
If that is how he is, doesn’t that just support the argument that there is little point signing a striker just for the sake of it and to make up numbers.?

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 14, 2019, 09:43:06 am by redarmy82 »
He's a non league striker who hasn't even scored double figures his whole career, and that's exactly how he looked.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 14, 2019, 09:50:52 am by selby »
  He was a lone attacker. against two good defenders, won his fair share of fifty fifty balls that was all he had to feed off from for once a below par midfield.
  When he had the ball he tried to bring other players into the game, but Taylor and Sadlier never got into the game either, or got up near to him  to give support.
  He looked a little way off being really fit which is understandable, played in a side that was second best all over the park at times, and really was no better or worse than others  who played.
  He will be a third choice forward when Sterling and Ennis are fit, they are simply our best players in the striker position, but he is a willing worker who made his debut against a team in top form, but in a team that for the first time this season was second best for much of the game, and against two defenders who played well.
  The fact is he did as well and probably better in that position Saturday than anyone else we have on the books apart from Ennis and Sterling and all of them would have struggled to impress with the service he had up front on a day when quite a few in the team were below par.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on October 14, 2019, 10:16:05 am by steve@dcfd »
DM had two strikers line up in the transfer window and GB and DB didn’t get them over the line. We don’t know why only the manager and CEO know. We allowed VA to train with the club is he still here or as he gone. We’re terms offered again only the manager and the CEO will know.
So we have given him a short term contract to Taylor he’s not a Marquis but he won’t be.
We will have to wait till January to see if we can get a better striker over the line and maybe another attacker midfield player.

johnny rovers

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on October 14, 2019, 11:35:13 am by johnny rovers »
If that is how he is, doesn’t that just support the argument that there is little point signing a striker just for the sake of it and to make up numbers.?

But there is point to signing a striker with a far better record at a higher level

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on October 14, 2019, 11:38:10 am by IDM »

But there is point to signing a striker with a far better record at a higher level

Indeed, if available, if fit, and if the manager thinks he’s the right player..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on October 14, 2019, 11:41:30 am by dickos1 »
Which he identified and had offers accepted for the same week we sold marquis

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on October 14, 2019, 12:30:59 pm by pib »
I wasn't there Saturday and haven't seen Thomas play, but why are people cheering when someone goes off? Not bothered how bad he is/was - say what you like on here but cheering someone going off is pathetic.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 14, 2019, 12:56:48 pm by NewDonny »
  He was a lone attacker. against two good defenders, won his fair share of fifty fifty balls that was all he had to feed off from for once a below par midfield.
  When he had the ball he tried to bring other players into the game, but Taylor and Sadlier never got into the game either, or got up near to him  to give support.
  He looked a little way off being really fit which is understandable, played in a side that was second best all over the park at times, and really was no better or worse than others  who played.
  He will be a third choice forward when Sterling and Ennis are fit, they are simply our best players in the striker position, but he is a willing worker who made his debut against a team in top form, but in a team that for the first time this season was second best for much of the game, and against two defenders who played well.
  The fact is he did as well and probably better in that position Saturday than anyone else we have on the books apart from Ennis and Sterling and all of them would have struggled to impress with the service he had up front on a day when quite a few in the team were below par.

I was also there and watched with the game with interest.

He never had the ball, he won nothing in the air and lost what ball he got to feet so the times that either Coppinger, who you forget to mention, Sadlier or Taylor were up with him, which was a few times, nothing came of it. The issues laid not with the team but how the opposition played - Oxford pressed us high up the pitch which meant that Whiteman and Sheaf were pushed back and played their game in a very deep position. This impacted the two wingers and Coppinger who in turn played very much deeper than normal.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 14, 2019, 01:12:43 pm by Donny Exile in York »

Dont recall anyone saying sign a striker for the sake of it! Clearly we have a need for a proven striker at league one level to replace the one weve lost if not more if we actually want to challenge for promotion which is the Board's stated aim. What exactly would you suggest?

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 14, 2019, 01:13:35 pm by drfcsteve »
I see Clarke-Harris was voted league 1 player of the month, if only we hadn't messed up the paperwork or lost the pen!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 14, 2019, 01:19:39 pm by IDM »

Dont recall anyone saying sign a striker for the sake of it! Clearly we have a need for a proven striker at league one level to replace the one weve lost if not more if we actually want to challenge for promotion which is the Board's stated aim. What exactly would you suggest?

Many people have said sign “a striker” without naming specific players..

I suggest we let the manager get on with it, and see how Ennis, Sterling (when fit) and Thomas get on as the weeks progress..

And yes, for what it is worth, I would prefer we had signed a proven goal scoring traditional number 9, but there’s nowt I can do about it is there.?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on October 14, 2019, 01:26:11 pm by Alickismyhero »
Selby,
That is exactly the way I see it. Tomas offers something different and I think if anybody can get him to improve its DM. Just think back to JM when he never got the service he needed from midfield he looked an old donkey galloping around the pitch on his own. Yet when he got the service JM needed, 26 goals is a good total. As a better example look how JM is doing right now, not going his way is it.
I was surrounded by supporters being very critical of Thomas but when I challenged their position "Thomas is worth the risk" and that's my position. He is young, not fully match fit yet, and I think DM will get the best of Thomas.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 14, 2019, 01:47:09 pm by selby »
  It makes  me wonder what the  Leicester fans thought about signing Vardy., £1 million for a non league player.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 14, 2019, 02:14:05 pm by steve@dcfd »
I see Clarke-Harris was voted league 1 player of the month, if only we hadn't messed up the paperwork or lost the pen!

Bristol Rovers wanted £900,000 for him in the summer plus wages would we have paid that ?
Plus he was not ready for the start of the season out with injury and he is injured again.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 14, 2019, 02:15:48 pm by Retdon1 »
  It makes  me wonder what the  Leicester fans thought about signing Vardy., £1 million for a non league player.

The difference is Vardy had scored a bag full of goals at every non league club he had played for. Thomas hasn’t even scored double figures in his whole career

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 14, 2019, 02:21:56 pm by steve@dcfd »

The difference is Vardy had scored a bag full of goals at every non league club he had played for. Thomas hasn’t even scored double figures in his whole career
The other difference is Thomas is on a short term contract and we’ve not paid a million. Would we for any player? 

wilts rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on October 14, 2019, 02:56:07 pm by wilts rover »

I was also there and watched with the game with interest.

He never had the ball, he won nothing in the air and lost what ball he got to feet so the times that either Coppinger, who you forget to mention, Sadlier or Taylor were up with him, which was a few times, nothing came of it. The issues laid not with the team but how the opposition played - Oxford pressed us high up the pitch which meant that Whiteman and Sheaf were pushed back and played their game in a very deep position. This impacted the two wingers and Coppinger who in turn played very much deeper than normal.

Did he not? I must have imagined that move where he controlled the ball with his chest before playing it out to Sadlier? Or the half-chance in the second half that came off their centre half and only just cleared the bar.

The best way of describing his performance was that there was no change whatsoever in our performance when Ennis came on. And you have identified perfectly where the problems and under-performing players were.

I didn't hear any cheers when he went off, there certainly weren't any from the people around me.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on October 14, 2019, 03:11:04 pm by dickos1 »

Many people have said sign “a striker” without naming specific players..

I suggest we let the manager get on with it, and see how Ennis, Sterling (when fit) and Thomas get on as the weeks progress..

And yes, for what it is worth, I would prefer we had signed a proven goal scoring traditional number 9, but there’s nowt I can do about it is there.?

There’s been many names mentioned, but that’s not the job of the fan is it? Nobody would’ve mentioned marquis before we signed him, it’s down to the powers that be to identify who they want and then get it over the line.
The argument that supporters haven’t come up with any names is nonsense

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 14, 2019, 03:14:20 pm by IDM »
again you are missing the point..

I said fans wanted “a” striker.  If they don’t specify who - although some will have said what kind of experience etc - then vicariously they could easily mean “any” striker.

Donny Exile asked me what I suggest, so I answered..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on October 14, 2019, 03:21:19 pm by dickos1 »
It’s obvious though?
We lost an experience striker for good money and we needed to replace him.
We don’t need to throw names about that’s the managers job, we just needed the right striker in and for whatever reason we didn’t achieve it

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 14, 2019, 03:27:04 pm by steve@dcfd »
GM would have had names of strikers before he decided to jump ship.
Infact I suspect one went to Hull with him.
It was said by SM that DM chooses the players and it up to GB and DB to get them over the line. DM said he wanted two strikers and an attacking midfield player before we signed Sterling on loan and Taylor. Right to the last minute of the transfer window, we were told to be patient by certain posters, we tried to sign a striker. The deal did not happen.
We have allowed VA to train at the club to gain fitness, DM said he was not ready and was giving him time. We had supposedly offered him a deal, but after that was said nothing. I’ve heard since Thomas signed if not before he had left the club. So did we offer him a deal, is he still here training or as he gone elsewhere to further his career. Between DM, GB and DB was a decision made?

« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:29:11 pm by steve@dcfd »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on October 14, 2019, 03:28:55 pm by IDM »
It’s obvious though?
We lost an experience striker for good money and we needed to replace him.
We don’t need to throw names about that’s the managers job, we just needed the right striker in and for whatever reason we didn’t achieve it

My point isn’t about naming names though..

Folks are clamouring for a striker, and we sign Thomas who several are already writing off..

We have two other strikers, yes young loanees, where it is too soon to know if they will be successful.

I doubt very much that DM and the club are not looking ahead to try and get a further striker we can sign on a permanent deal..

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 14, 2019, 03:32:59 pm by dickos1 »
Thomas has been signed because we can’t get anyone else in, surely you’re not suggesting he’s an adequate replacement for marquis?

We can only hope they are looking ahead, but as has been mentioned previously they were aware marquis was probably going to go and he never got replaced

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 14, 2019, 03:37:03 pm by IDM »
No I didn’t say Thomas is a replacement for anyone..

My point is folks are demanding we sign a striker, so we sign one, and then after less than a full league game when the rest of the team played crap, some fans are writing him off.

Until I see him play to make my own thoughts, I think Thomas is a short term signing to provide a different option of style of play, and can see him being a bench player once Ennis is starting again, and also Sterling.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 03:50:11 pm by IDM »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 14, 2019, 05:21:37 pm by Alan Southstand »
Who’s this Sterling fellow?

(Joking!)

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 14, 2019, 05:24:19 pm by dickos1 »
We signed a striker yes,
But by that logic we could’ve signed rockingham arms main striker, and that would be ok because we were all asking for a striker
Well we got one

TinyPortal © 2005-2012