Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:34:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: England tonight  (Read 5585 times)

the vicar

• Forum Member
Re: England tonight
« Reply #30 on October 14, 2019, 09:47:12 pm by the vicar »
HERE HERE. well done to them we should be proud of them all

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 14, 2019, 10:00:32 pm by RedJ »
Genuine question, how would you equate this with the last time we played Rotherham away in a league fixture &  40-50 year olds, many around me with their children (i.e), standing next to them & who were definitely not even in their teens, but we’re gleefully (unwittingly hopefully),  joining in, as their ‘guardians’ chanted “PAEDO’S, PAEDO’S....” in the general direction of the nearest Rotherham fans?
that isn't remotely comparable to racism.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 12:22:18 am by Forum Admin »

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 14, 2019, 10:00:43 pm by Copps is Magic »
I've heard racist abuse towards opposition players at the Keepmoat this season, even more baffling given who our manager is now and the high proportion of black players we have. It certainly isn't just an Eastern European problem, racism seems to be worse than I can ever remember in this country at the moment.

Have you? In what form?

I am genuinely intrigued because I've been going to football matches regularly for 15 years and never heard anything like it. And I tend to stand with the daft lads who take their shirts off when it gets to 1-1. I've heard some very borderline things shouted but racist, never.

What I have seen from the reports tonight, however, was that there was an organised group of fascist thugs in the stadium. I don't think there's an equivalence in English football.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 14, 2019, 10:04:15 pm by Campsall rover »
We should not take the moral high ground though as we still have racism at football matches in England.
Having said that what we witnessed tonight was appalling.
Neo Nazis in black giving Nazi salutes with a shirt saying
No Respect.
Bulgaria should be made to play their next 5 ( at least ) internationals in Empty Stadiums.
Fining them is a joke. Needs tough action. Can UEFA & FIFA do the right thing and come down very heavy on Bulgaria.
Let’s hope this is the beginning of the end of racism in football.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2019, 10:06:23 pm by Campsall rover »

DaveDRFC

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on October 14, 2019, 10:09:23 pm by DaveDRFC »
I've heard racist abuse towards opposition players at the Keepmoat this season, even more baffling given who our manager is now and the high proportion of black players we have. It certainly isn't just an Eastern European problem, racism seems to be worse than I can ever remember in this country at the moment.

Have you? In what form?

I am genuinely intrigued because I've been going to football matches regularly for 15 years and never heard anything like it. And I tend to stand with the daft lads who take their shirts off when it gets to 1-1. I've heard some very borderline things shouted but racist, never.

What I have seen from the reports tonight, however, was that there was an organised group of fascist thugs in the stadium. I don't think there's an equivalence in English football.

In the first game of the season when Jakubiak scored for Gillingham and celebrated in front of us somebody a few rows behind me shouted 'F**k off you n****r!'. It went very quiet but nothing was said to him by anyone. This was in the south east corner.

During the infamous 'experiment' season I heard a lot of racist abuse in the south stand, so much so that I ended up moving to a different part of the ground to get away from it.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on October 14, 2019, 10:12:12 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Also worth adding theres a group that on more than one occasion have changed about one of our black players in what I'd term a racist tone.  Thankfully it died out pretty quickly.

Pretty bad that tonight and not nice for the players who did a great job.  Lots of Bulgarians slamming it also though.

RedJ

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 14, 2019, 10:13:16 pm by RedJ »
Also worth adding theres a group that on more than one occasion have changed about one of our black players in what I'd term a racist tone.  Thankfully it died out pretty quickly.

What was that then? Don't remember that.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on October 14, 2019, 11:05:17 pm by Colin C No.3 »
How as Rovers supporters do we equate what happened tonight with what happened the last time we played Rotherham away in the league & I found myself surrounded by 40-50 year old men with their siblings in tow & ‘blindly’ copying their ‘guardians’ with chants of ‘Paedo’s, paedo’s..’ in the general direction of the nearest Rotherham supporters?

Do we confront such behaviour personally, with all the obnoxious rebuttal that may bring, point it out (sometimes easier said & logistically said than done) to stadium officials or inwardly seeth in disgust & vent our spleens in the ‘safety’ of a forum?

I ask because I genuinely don’t know.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 15, 2019, 08:49:19 am by redarmy82 »
I remember a woman sat behind me in the play off semi against Southend hurling racist abuse at Jason Price. Reported her to a steward who did nowt.

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #39 on October 15, 2019, 09:33:08 am by idler »
I remember a woman sat behind me in the play off semi against Southend hurling racist abuse at Jason Price. Reported her to a steward who did now
Just imagine how bad she would have  been if we had lost.😳

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 15, 2019, 09:54:26 am by the vicar »
don't be so f**king stupid

Absolutely no need for that RedJ.
Disagree with someone's post and offer an alternative view by all means, but no need to resort to that kind of response.

Too much of that on here lately, don't lower yourself.
the reason people use swearing is cos they can't find anything intelligent to say

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 15, 2019, 11:37:35 am by roversdude »
Hopefully if SM has traveled he gets back safely along with all of our fans

drfcsteve

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 15, 2019, 01:38:59 pm by drfcsteve »
On the match itself, it's the most enjoyable England match I have watched in ages. Attacking onslaught for almost the entire match, entertaining flowing football, and thought Mings was class, reminded me of a young Rio Ferdinand.

UEFA need to take serious action for once, we should be talking about the football after a match not the actions of a bunch of fascists. Kick them out of the competition that ought to send a message that this isn't tolerated.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 15, 2019, 04:16:52 pm by scawsby steve »
The President of the Bulgaria FA has resigned at the request of the Bulgarian Prime Minister. Also, the Bulgarian team captain, Popov, has been lauded on all the News channels for the way he confronted the home fans at half-time. I think most of the Bulgarian population will be embarrassed by last night's events.

The only positive thing to come out of this in the fight against racism was the first ever implementation of the 3 step protocol, which came very close to an abandonment of the match. As Gareth Southgate said today, a lot more needs to be done, but last night was a move in the right direction.

Racism will not beat us all.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 15, 2019, 04:32:47 pm by Axholme Lion »
You can’t ban a team for its fan base’s racist behaviour.....by all means make them play all their games away, or behind closed doors, but banning a national team from any competition because of a lot of racist idiots would not be fair.....

Yes you can..

English clubs were banned from Europe for years due to fan behaviour..

English clubs were banned after Liverpool fans caused the death of innocent people at Heysel. It's not quite in the same league, in my opinion.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 15, 2019, 04:48:43 pm by IDM »
Different cause yes, but in many respects it’s fan behaviour that cannot be tolerated..

A ban is a realistic punishment IMHO..

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on October 15, 2019, 06:32:38 pm by Draytonian III »
Ban Bulgaria from international football for 3 or 5 years, every level youth, U19 etc, senior ,womens also ban their club sides for the same length of time.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 15, 2019, 08:08:07 pm by Jonathan »
I do feel a little uncomfortable taking the moral highground when racism and xenophobia seems to be on the rise across our country / society. Even encouraged by the divisive and downright offensive terminology used publicly by our own Prime Minister.

However, last nights scenes were truly appalling and shameful and I believe all punishment options should be on the table.

My view - I think the Bulgarian national teams should be banned from all competition indefinitely. They should be allowed to appeal that ban once they are able to demonstrate that (at national policy / governmental level) there has been a sustained and targeted programme of rebuke and education aimed at changing cultural attitudes in society and promoting inclusion and acceptance.

And perhaps our own government could follow suit voluntarily, instead of driving further wedges between racial and cultural groups.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2019, 08:11:38 pm by Jonathan »

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 15, 2019, 11:51:53 pm by Draytonian III »
I thought everyone’s bag has to go through a scanner at an airport, I was once going on a flight and had been working away for the 3 days and had used the same hold-all,forgetting that I had put my work knife in the end pocket, I got stopped for that , knife taken off me ,passport scanned and details taken. Those walk through scanners don’t miss a trick either, so I doubt weapons are brought in that way, more than likely bought on the dark web

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #49 on October 16, 2019, 12:03:39 am by Colin C No.3 »
All depends on which airport you use & believe me, those ‘in the know’ can get ANYTHING through.

But what do I know.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 16, 2019, 12:52:25 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
From what I have read, it looks like England will also be sanctioned on a lesser charge for disrespecting our opponents national anthem.

A measure I also agree with as over many years I have been embarrassed by our fans behaviour towards other nations anthems.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on October 16, 2019, 09:44:42 am by Axholme Lion »
In my experience I don't think there is much racism in this country at the football. I stand in the Dockers stand at Wall and there are plenty of blacks, Chinese and Asians stood alongside me. We are all Millwall and this is in block 18 and 19 which is the most well known for banter.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on October 16, 2019, 09:49:17 am by IDM »
There may not be much, but not much implies “some” which is by default too much..

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on October 16, 2019, 10:17:05 am by Axholme Lion »
There may not be much, but not much implies “some” which is by default too much..

I haven't heard anything for years.

Glyn_Wigley

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 16, 2019, 10:58:46 am by Glyn_Wigley »
It's not about what you hear or not though, is it?

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on October 16, 2019, 11:15:04 am by roversdude »
Just remember if you hear that at KMS there is a number you text to report it

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on October 16, 2019, 11:17:24 am by Axholme Lion »

No. All i'm saying is where I watch football there are many different races of people in the ground and I can't remember hearing anything racist for years.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 16, 2019, 11:20:49 am by IDM »
And that’s how it should be, at every ground, every game.

The only colours that matter are those that the players are wearing..

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on October 16, 2019, 11:49:25 am by Pancho Regan »

No. All i'm saying is where I watch football there are many different races of people in the ground and I can't remember hearing anything racist for years.

Your club was fined £10,000 for racist chants as recently as August 2019.

Axholme Lion

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on October 16, 2019, 12:25:58 pm by Axholme Lion »

Your club was fined £10,000 for racist chants as recently as August 2019.

I wasn't at that game, but I know people who were. I agree the young lads who sang that were stupid and should have known better, however I think it was a dig at the scousers rather than the P people. You all know the chant which has been sung at every ground in the country but as usual Talksport couldn't resist the chance of a dig.  Not defending it by the way. It was wrong and the club paid the price by paying the fine and having more rows of seats closed off at the back of block 18 & 19.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012