Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 04:37:46 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gavin Baldwin in DFP interview Thursday 17th  (Read 8124 times)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
Gavin Baldwin in DFP interview Thursday 17th
« on October 16, 2019, 04:07:13 pm by steve@dcfd »
First part of an interview carried out by Liam Hoden with Gavin Baldwin will be in DFP tomorrow. It could discuss money, search fo John Marquis replacement, where the FA cup money was or is being used and contracts of existing players. We might get questions answered ?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
Re: Gavin Baldwin in DFP interview Thursday 17th
« Reply #1 on October 16, 2019, 06:37:42 pm by jackthelad »
I doubt we will get anything too interesting,actions speak louder than words. That's not a dig at the club, I just take anything that anybody in a position of authority says with a pinch of salt because rarely are we told the truth.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on October 16, 2019, 07:03:17 pm by since-1969 »
I doubt we will get anything too interesting,actions speak louder than words. That's not a dig at the club, I just take anything that anybody in a position of authority says with a pinch of salt because rarely are we told the truth.
I’m not sure what is it that we would like to hear , as we are still only quarter way into a season with a new squad .

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on October 16, 2019, 07:50:19 pm by keith79 »
I heard it before. We dont have a top 6 budget. We will not risk the club chasing  the championship.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on October 16, 2019, 08:01:20 pm by Campsall rover »
If that’s not a dig at the club what is it? So we are being constantly lied to are we?
Come on then what lies have have we been told.
Let’s have some substance instead of just accusations.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on October 16, 2019, 09:33:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
We have folk who complain we never hear anything from the hierarchy then scoff when there's opportunities to learn something and claim anything they say should be taken with a pinch of salt.

You can't make it up. We'll, let's for once keep an open mind, sit back and listen.

Rovers Return

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on October 16, 2019, 10:01:16 pm by Rovers Return »

:woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: Ha! Fancy living your life like this! Old Victor Meldrew

https://images.app.goo.gl/nQEqcZwttBqttfgr6

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on October 16, 2019, 10:04:20 pm by Colin C No.3 »

Yawn.

jackthelad

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on October 16, 2019, 10:15:19 pm by jackthelad »
I knew it wouldn't be a popular post but just how I feel.

I imagine it will be something along the lines of.

We have a top manager.
We have a top six budget.
Hardest bit is getting deals over the line.
Players are lined up to sign etc in January.
Darren has a list of targets.

Etc etc.
It's not a dig at us in general. It's more just a general feeling of how interviews in football generally go, whether it be with a manager, player or a director.

It's all very cliche and I think anything anybody in sports says should be taken with a pinch of salt.  I don't think my post was unreasonable but some people just have there blinkers on and take offence to anything.

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on October 17, 2019, 06:18:09 am by godlike1 »
I knew it wouldn't be a popular post but just how I feel.

I imagine it will be something along the lines of.

We have a top manager.
We have a top six budget.
Hardest bit is getting deals over the line.
Players are lined up to sign etc in January.
Darren has a list of targets.

Etc etc.
It's not a dig at us in general. It's more just a general feeling of how interviews in football generally go, whether it be with a manager, player or a director.

It's all very cliche and I think anything anybody in sports says should be taken with a pinch of salt.  I don't think my post was unreasonable but some people just have there blinkers on and take offence to anything.

Rather than just having a pointless same old moan on here I asked Liam those exact points. His response was

No. It goes along the lines of explaining the search for John Marquis' replacement and funds from his sale, what the FA Cup money was used for and contract talks with existing players #drfc

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on October 17, 2019, 06:28:28 am by BigH »
To anyone feeling cynical about GB and what he'll have to say, can I suggest you listen to the podcast of R5Live's Football Daily from last night (How to run a football league club).

A very good piece on the economics of football in L1 and L2: tells you everything you need to know about how clubs are run in the lower divisions.

And should make clear just how fortunate we are to have the owners and set-up that we have.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 08:25:19 am by BigH »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on October 17, 2019, 10:09:17 am by steve@dcfd »
There will be several other clubs who believe they have good owners and set ups also with the same aim set out by our CEO of promotion.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on October 17, 2019, 11:01:20 am by redarmy82 »
Anyone read it?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on October 17, 2019, 12:09:01 pm by steve@dcfd »
Yes read it 4/5th of nothing just FA cup money. Spent on improving Cantley Park, money for Downing all though we did need a centre half. So nothing we didn’t expect him to say. We wait with baited for the next instalment.

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on October 17, 2019, 12:12:37 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-how-last-seasons-fa-cup-prize-money-was-spent-815441

Seems fair enough and a good thing if not visible.  The DFP bits will be online in stages I'd think.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on October 17, 2019, 12:37:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
BFYP we set off last season aiming for the playoffs so we would have had to loan a centre half in January to continue to achieve that. We should have been pushing for the playoffs anyway. We had to cover for injuries as a well run club, so if we had not had a good run in the FA cup we would not be able to achieve that.
It appears for a well run club we needed that extra money to achieve the club’s aim.
With the money from John Marquis we should be better this season as it appears it will be three times more than the FA cup money.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2019, 01:12:06 pm by steve@dcfd »

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on October 17, 2019, 01:13:50 pm by IDM »
:facepalm:

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on October 17, 2019, 01:22:54 pm by steve@dcfd »
😂😂😂

godlike1

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on October 17, 2019, 01:31:53 pm by godlike1 »
https://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/sport/football/doncaster-rovers/doncaster-rovers-how-last-seasons-fa-cup-prize-money-was-spent-815441

Seems fair enough and a good thing if not visible.  The DFP bits will be online in stages I'd think.

does that suggest that the directors are not actually giving enough money for a play off push?

don't get me wrong, I am greatful for what they give but seeing as we needed the extra cash to achieve the aim, what they are trying to do with the money they loan is not actually achievable

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on October 17, 2019, 01:39:29 pm by vaya »
It says that some money from the Cup run was spent on Downing.

It doesn't say that money wouldn't have been available otherwise, given that funds made available (at short notice) to purchase Whiteman the previous season.

Also, they don't loan money to the club. They'll unlikely to ever see it returned.

I'll also hazard a guess that all this will probably be ignored and the narrative will develop that we only ended up in the playoffs by pure luck and it's a miracle the club gets by on a day today basis.

DearneValleyRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on October 17, 2019, 01:41:04 pm by DearneValleyRover »

does that suggest that the directors are not actually giving enough money for a play off push?

don't get me wrong, I am greatful for what they give but seeing as we needed the extra cash to achieve the aim, what they are trying to do with the money they loan is not actually achievable

They don’t loan the money

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on October 17, 2019, 01:48:02 pm by NickDRFC »
It says that some money from the Cup run was spent on Downing.

It doesn't say that money wouldn't have been available otherwise, given that funds made available (at short notice) to purchase Whiteman the previous season.

Also, they don't loan money to the club. They'll unlikely to ever see it returned.

I'll also hazard a guess that all this will probably be ignored and the narrative will develop that we only ended up in the playoffs by pure luck and it's a miracle the club gets by on a day today basis.

The owners, for me, would have been perfectly entitled to use that cup run money to offset their loss for the season, and I'm delighted that they didn't. The spend on Cantley Park & the Development Squad is a shrewd investment as well, but saying that some of the cup run money was spent on Downing to me doesn't quite add up.

About half to two-thirds of the prize money would have been earned due to winning in Round 4, and being televised in Round 5, and Downing was signed before either of those happened. We were also told earlier in the season that funds were available to strengthen in January, so I reckon Downing would have been signed regardless. GB now saying that it was the FA Cup money that allowed us to afford Downing sounds a bit like a PR spin to me to appease fans who think that the cup run money should have been spent on the squad.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on October 17, 2019, 02:02:51 pm by IDM »
Or, the board agreed in January to sanction additional funds for the loan, which were then not needed so much month by month for wages after the cup run ended.?

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on October 17, 2019, 02:48:22 pm by Alan Southstand »
"It was about wanting to secure the play-off place but not blowing it in one decision - bringing in one player that could break their leg," he said.

Is this why we didn’t sign a striker? ;)

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on October 17, 2019, 03:29:40 pm by steve@dcfd »

You have written this in your sarcastic way it as not been said it was pure luck the team that DF built and GM added loanees to achieved the aim of the club and did well in the cup.
Unfortunately this season we had to get rid of good players and high earners to start all over again.

vaya

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on October 17, 2019, 03:54:39 pm by vaya »

You have written this in your sarcastic way it as not been said it was pure luck the team that DF built and GM added loanees to achieved the aim of the club and did well in the cup.
Unfortunately this season we had to get rid of good players and high earners to start all over again.

I haven't said anyone's said it was down to luck Steve.

My exact words were 'will develop'. Who knows, it might not do and I'll be proved wrong.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on October 17, 2019, 04:08:27 pm by graingrover »
The major problem this club has that it is situated in Neggyland .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on October 17, 2019, 05:07:11 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »

You know as well as I do and anyone else. We didn't have to get rid of high earners but, when you have a budget it would be folly to offer terms to players that were not worth what they were looking for. (Mainly Rowe) Marquis was going to go anyway. Andrew had family influences and he only performed during the latter part of the season. Downing and Wilks weren't ours anyway. We haven't really missed any of them apart from Marquis' goal contribution.

I still have trust in the management of the club and faith in DM that he will maximise the potential we have. I'm pretty sure from January onwards he'll do what he can to address the balance of the squad in terms of loans v permanent and look to strengthen up front or wherever else he thinks fit.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on October 17, 2019, 05:15:21 pm by Alan Southstand »
It’s all about opinions, DBR, but I disagree with you on Rowe, as we havn’t replaced either his quality, leadership, experience and, most importantly, goals.

You forgot to mention the lad who had the most influence on our performances last season, Kane, but he wasn’t ours either.

What we lost in the summer was that spine of the team, with only Whiteman retained, and the level of experience in the squad that McCann inherited. What did DM inherit, by comparison?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on October 17, 2019, 05:24:55 pm by IDM »
You didn’t mention Copps.?

TinyPortal © 2005-2012