Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:00:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: The Penalty  (Read 8676 times)

NewDonny

• Forum Member
Re: The Penalty
« Reply #30 on October 20, 2019, 02:13:39 pm by NewDonny »
Looking at it on TV you can see why he gave it but I don't think there was any contact or he would have been knocked out

He did make contact, the BR's player was bleeding from the nose but only because he stopped down to head it, watch it again like I have (several times) and in fact you will also notice that Sadlier's boot WAS NOT higher than waist height anyway.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 02:28:41 pm by NewDonny »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

hamiltonrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #31 on October 20, 2019, 04:09:18 pm by hamiltonrover »
I watched on ifollow and thought initially it was a pen, but on replay I wasn't so sure. We did get away with one shortly after as Daniels definitely took out their man in the box, for me, that was a stone waller.

Sent from my POT-LX1 using Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #32 on October 20, 2019, 08:24:17 pm by drfchound »
Not a penalty for me, but I've never seen one taken so badly. I've seen harder backpasses.

The two Ennis ones. First half, never a penalty and he couldn't have complained if he'd been booked for diving. The one in the second half looked a stonewaller, although I haven't seen it again.

I agree with all of this.  :that: :that: :that: :that:

POD

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on October 20, 2019, 08:52:21 pm by POD »
I froze the picture at the point of impact and Sadlier’s foot is high.  Normally he would get away with that, but for the BR player ducking to head the ball.  Probably a 50/50 decision for the ref and we lost out.  I also froze the picture at the point the penalty was taken and Dieng is a yard off his line.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on October 20, 2019, 08:55:32 pm by drfchound »
I froze the picture at the point of impact and Sadlier’s foot is high.  Normally he would get away with that, but for the BR player ducking to head the ball.  Probably a 50/50 decision for the ref and we lost out.  I also froze the picture at the point the penalty was taken and Dieng is a yard off his line.

Yep, I mentioned the Dieng thing elsewhere.
I was half expecting the ref to have it re taken.
Good job we don’t have VAR.

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on October 21, 2019, 12:39:53 am by Bessie Red »
Not a penalty for me, but I've never seen one taken so badly. I've seen harder backpasses.

The two Ennis ones. First half, never a penalty and he couldn't have complained if he'd been booked for diving. The one in the second half looked a stonewaller, although I haven't seen it again.
It was bad. It was as if he thought "the refs made the wrong call there, I can't score as it would be unfair, I know I will just pass the ball to the keeper".

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on October 21, 2019, 10:13:32 am by Metalmicky »
here ....

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on October 21, 2019, 01:32:19 pm by redarmy82 »

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on October 21, 2019, 04:31:04 pm by sha66y »
Because the ref was crap :D

Think it was high foot, which it wasnt.

Other end, you'd be shouting for it. Pen all day long for me.

You are clearly having a laugh.

Why's that? His foot was above waist height. It's a foul.
Sadlier’s foot was waist high in a crowded box as he went to clear the ball. The Bristol player stooped to head the same ball & his head was waist high to his body.

Never a penalty.

“A penalty all day long”.....rubbish.

It looked dangerous....that’s all the ref needed to see ....so yea, a penalty

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on October 21, 2019, 05:11:40 pm by NewDonny »

Sadlier’s foot was waist high in a crowded box as he went to clear the ball. The Bristol player stooped to head the same ball & his head was waist high to his body.

Never a penalty.

It's only made dangerous because the BR lad is ducking into the tackle which is clearly evident in the action photograph.

Anyway, I couldn't give a damn anymore as the penalty was saved anyway.

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on October 21, 2019, 05:14:42 pm by redarmy82 »

Never a penalty.

It's only made dangerous because the BR lad is ducking into the tackle which is clearly evident in the action photograph.

Anyway, I couldn't give a damn anymore as the penalty was saved anyway.

What's clear about the photograph is that it was the correct decision.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on October 21, 2019, 07:49:38 pm by Filo »
No pen, it’s clear Sadlier had already kicked the ball and the Bristol player ducked into it, it’s only dangerous because the Bristol player put his head where he had no chance of winning the ball

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on October 21, 2019, 10:50:41 pm by redarmy82 »
No pen, it’s clear Sadlier had already kicked the ball and the Bristol player ducked into it, it’s only dangerous because the Bristol player put his head where he had no chance of winning the ball

Wrong. Yes he kicked the ball but he followed through with his foot. Foot is way above waist height. Penalty all day long. Other end, and you'd all be screaming for it.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on October 21, 2019, 11:27:24 pm by NewDonny »

Wrong. Yes he kicked the ball but he followed through with his foot. Foot is way above waist height. Penalty all day long. Other end, and you'd all be screaming for it.

Followed through, what are you talking about, the BR player had no right to go for the ball at that level with his head?

The BR player has stooped down, what part of that don't you get and in any case look again, his foot is at the waist level you keep banging on about anyway.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on October 21, 2019, 11:46:35 pm by steve@dcfd »
The ref gave it . The player missed it we win what’s the debate for can’t change any thing.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on October 22, 2019, 08:00:40 am by Pancho Regan »
......what’s the debate for can’t change any thing.

This is the same argument my daughter makes for not doing her history homework....

;)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on October 22, 2019, 08:37:46 am by redarmy82 »

Followed through, what are you talking about, the BR player had no right to go for the ball at that level with his head?

The BR player has stooped down, what part of that don't you get and in any case look again, his foot is at the waist level you keep banging on about anyway.

Are you a qualified ref?
It's a foul. if you can't see it, i'd suggest a trip to your nearest opticians.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on October 22, 2019, 09:17:48 am by donnievic »

Are you a qualified ref?
lol,I agree doesn’t matter if he stopped down his foot was high enough to be classed as dangerous

bobbymax

• VSC Member
« Reply #48 on October 22, 2019, 09:23:37 am by bobbymax »
The photo is misleading as Sadlier has already cleared the ball as the lad throws himself forward.
They are always showing a Ronaldo goal on TV, an overhead kick in which he would have taken off the defender's head a fraction later. That goal definitely should not have been given if Sadlier's challenge was deemed a foul but it's all a matter of interpretation.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on October 22, 2019, 09:50:53 am by NewDonny »

Are you a qualified ref?

I don't agree and my eyes are fine but thanks for your concern.

bobjimwilly

• VSC Member
« Reply #50 on October 22, 2019, 11:23:28 am by bobjimwilly »
It would be shit for football if a foul is given every time some daft player goes to headbutt someones boot after they have blatantly cleared a ball.
The ironic thing is it might have helped our cause because following the save the Keepmoat erupted and cheered the lads on with every pass and tackle they made for the next 10 minutes

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on October 22, 2019, 01:04:56 pm by Alickismyhero »
I was a ref for 20 years and my brother even longer, a class 1 ref as it was at the time, both agree, and that is rare, we would not have given the penalty. But that's after many reviews from a single angled camera. That was one of those incidents were refs at this level have to make a split second decision virtually on their own.

Shades of Mr Oliver at Brentford that worked for Donny and this one did as well.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on October 22, 2019, 01:24:44 pm by NewDonny »
I was a ref for 20 years and my brother even longer, a class 1 ref as it was at the time, both agree, and that is rare, we would not have given the penalty. But that's after many reviews from a single angled camera. That was one of those incidents were refs at this level have to make a split second decision virtually on their own.

Shades of Mr Oliver at Brentford that worked for Donny and this one did as well.

Finally, thank you "Alickismyhero" so there you have it from a Class 1 referee "redarmy82" - or do both he and his brother need to go to Specsavers as well?

As I said at the weekend, the BR's players couldn't believe the decision either, they were laughing & joking about it not being a penalty with DRFC players.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #53 on October 22, 2019, 01:25:45 pm by Pancho Regan »
That's an interesting view from two ex-refs Alickismyhero, thanks for that.

Out of interest, did you see the incident live? Without the help of multiple replays, what was your immediate opinion?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on October 22, 2019, 01:34:30 pm by IDM »
I may be wrong (refs please correct me) but wasn’t an indirect freekick awarded for accidental dangerous play such as a high foot where the only intent is playing the ball.?

Like I said, could be way off the mark..

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on October 22, 2019, 01:35:05 pm by redarmy82 »
The rules are quite clear. It's a foul.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #56 on October 22, 2019, 01:58:48 pm by IDM »
Please quote the rules, or the laws of the game, or provide a link.?

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on October 22, 2019, 02:07:05 pm by Alickismyhero »

Finally, thank you "Alickismyhero" so there you have it from a Class 1 referee "redarmy82" - or do both he and his brother need to go to Specsavers as well?

As I said at the weekend, the BR's players couldn't believe the decision either, they were laughing & joking about it not being a penalty with DRFC players.

It was my brother who was the class 1 Ref. I never progressed above a  class 3 Ref and that because I was also the Chairman, manager, pitch marker, league rep and it goes on and on,for the local boys football club. I recommend all supporters to have a go at Refereeing its not easy but its so easy to criticise a ref because everybody knows the right decision. Now in our 70's we are no longer refereeing. We spend most of our time at games questioning the ref but accept in the end he is right and that's the way its got to be.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on October 22, 2019, 02:18:39 pm by NewDonny »

It was my brother who was the class 1 Ref. I never progressed above a  class 3 Ref and that because I was also the Chairman, manager, pitch marker, league rep and it goes on and on,for the local boys football club. I recommend all supporters to have a go at Refereeing its not easy but its so easy to criticise a ref because everybody knows the right decision. Now in our 70's we are no longer refereeing. We spend most of our time at games questioning the ref but accept in the end he is right and that's the way its got to be.

I know exactly where you are coming from, I am not a qualified referee but am an ex player and qualified coach to a reasonable standard and have also refereed games on many occasions and agree with you, it's not at all easy.

Equally the rules are at best not straight forward and often open to invidual interpretation which also never helps.

But I too have watched this clip over again and frozen it and taking the rules, the situation and the position of the opposing players head at the time of impact, agree it's not a penalty.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 02:34:58 pm by NewDonny »

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #59 on October 22, 2019, 02:25:47 pm by Alickismyhero »
That's an interesting view from two ex-refs Alickismyhero, thanks for that.

Out of interest, did you see the incident live? Without the help of multiple replays, what was your immediate opinion?
PR, I wasn't at the game and I did say I had the benefit of watching the only  SINGLE camera angle to make my judgement. I accept the refs decision, it is final.

From a Refs point of view If a he gets all the major decisions right and 7 to 8 of the minor decisions right he has had a very good game.

I now have to make my mind up do I leave for Southend or not? decisions decisions!!

TinyPortal © 2005-2012