Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:14:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Wimbledon FA cup game AND the replay  (Read 15016 times)

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Wimbledon FA cup game
« Reply #30 on November 08, 2019, 08:50:23 am by Metalmicky »
Wombles may be missing a few apparently..............

https://www.londonnewsonline.co.uk/afc-wimbledon-could-be-missing-nine-players-for-fa-cup-tie-with-boss-thankful-loanees-from-west-ham-brighton-watford-and-rochdale-can-feature/

Let's hope we don't take our eyes of the ball and start thinking that we haven't got much to beat...

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 08, 2019, 10:19:16 am by Colin C No.3 »
The answers to the last 2 questions Brian are no, and no. However, that's just me. It's whether DM is interested in this competition that counts.

The team he puts out next week will tell us that.
I find your answers of no & no SS very sad indeed. Of course that’s your view but i sincerely hope you are in a small minority.

The FA Cup was so special when i was growing in the 1960’s
My 1st FA Cup final at Wembley was one month before my 15th birthday in April 1970 Leeds v Chelsea. A fabulous experience & a day I will never forget.
Although my 1st ever trip to the twin towers was in March 1968 for the League Cup Final. Leeds v Arsenal.
A truly magical day for a 12 year old.
So the Cup competitions are ingrained in my DNA

It really upsets me that many clubs, managers and supporters treat the FA Cup as a second rate competition & the League Cup as a third rate one.
On a personal front i don’t understand it at all. How many competitions are there to win. How many opportunities are there to get to Wembley the Mecca of world football.

Something radical needs to be done to re ignite the glamour that once was the FA Cup.
I would suggest a Champions league place for the winners would help for a start.
Reduce the premier league to 18 clubs ( less fixtures ) would also help.
The final back to Saturday 3-00pm kick off with no other fixtures that weekend would also help.

Will the Premier league and the FA do any of these things? Unfortunately probably not.

What a travesty the way they treat the greatest Cup competition in the World.
If you think for one moment that UEFA would sanction a Champions League place for the winners of the English Football Association Cup then you’re very much deluded.

The winners of the Europa League Cup (formerly the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup before morphing into the UEFA Cup) are granted an opportunity to play in the Champions League, why, simply because it is one of their competitions. When they realised this competition was withering on the vine, they gave the incentive to participants of a place in the Champions League (the biggest money spinning competition in the world) upon winning it’s ‘poorer cousin’.

It’s about politics, power & money.

The FA Cup is viewed by the games hierarchy as a quaint English indulgence, nothing more.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 08, 2019, 01:11:23 pm by Pancho Regan »
Sorry to be a pedant but that’s not the same club..

Somebody had better tell DM then! He's talking about Wimbledon's brilliant FA Cup history on the official site.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on November 08, 2019, 01:27:01 pm by IDM »
It’s just one of those things that irks me..

Clearly AFC Wimbledon are perceived as a follow on to the original Wimbledon and that makes sense from a social and moral viewpoint much more than MK Dons ever could be.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on November 08, 2019, 01:40:22 pm by Dutch Uncle »
It’s just one of those things that irks me..

Clearly AFC Wimbledon are perceived as a follow on to the original Wimbledon and that makes sense from a social and moral viewpoint much more than MK Dons ever could be.

Completely agree IDM.

At least MK Dons had the decency to distance themselves from the former Wimbledon’s history in 2007, and all the trophies etc were given to the London Borough of Merton.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 08, 2019, 01:48:46 pm by IDM »
Plus AFC Wimbledon had the good grace to work their way up pyramid properly, as did the original club..

Anyway, back to tomorrow’s game..  I baby see anything but our strongest 11 starting, if only to maintain some continuity.!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on November 08, 2019, 01:51:28 pm by RoversAlias »
Not sure why anyone would object to AFC Wimbledon being referred to us as the same club as the original Wimbledon. They are the continuation of that club because Winkleman stole Wimbledon FC away from the town and its fans, and so they had to start again. That Phoenix club is the one we face tomorrow. Of course they are the 1988 FA Cup winners, not Milton Keynes.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #37 on November 08, 2019, 02:19:11 pm by Dutch Uncle »
Agree completely RA, maybe people could lobby Merton Borough council?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on November 08, 2019, 02:32:45 pm by IDM »
AFC are the continuation in spirit, that’s for sure..

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 08, 2019, 03:06:15 pm by 5 on Tour »
We need to play our best starting 11. I’d be surprised if they even recognise each other soon. Need all the game time we can get.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #40 on November 08, 2019, 03:58:09 pm by Pancho Regan »
AFC are the continuation in spirit, that’s for sure..

Agreed.

In fact when you think about it, AFC Wimbledon's achievement in starting completely from scratch and making their way up the pyramid to where they are now, is not far behind the amazing achievements of the 'original' version.

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #41 on November 08, 2019, 04:00:09 pm by since-1969 »
Gone
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 08:38:41 pm by since-1969 »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 08, 2019, 07:42:47 pm by Campsall rover »
As far as i am concerned the present AFC Wimbledon is the same club as the original Wimbledon FC.
MK Dons should never have been allowed to get away with what they did.
Completely new club masquerading as Wimbledon playing 70 miles away in another town. It was quite unbelievable really.
Of course we all know they should have started at the bottom of the pyramid.

tyke1962

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 08, 2019, 07:49:26 pm by tyke1962 »
This is a brilliant documentary on the original Wimbledon first shown on BT Sport .

Well worth watching .

https://youtu.be/kdU1qUN7LX8

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #44 on November 08, 2019, 09:24:23 pm by NickDRFC »
Sorry to be a pedant but that’s not the same club..

Genuine question - if we had folded in 1998 and started a Phoenix club would you be so adamant that the club you’re supporting now isn’t the same side that Jeffrey, Kitchen & Snodin turned out for?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 08, 2019, 09:38:15 pm by IDM »
Technically it would be a different club, but also the successor in spirit.

That is what I have said about AFCW..

Edit - don’t forget that AFCW were formed before the original Wimbledon ceased to exist..
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 09:41:09 pm by IDM »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #46 on November 08, 2019, 10:05:44 pm by Chris Black come back »
AFCW claim they are the same club by 'continuation of the spirit' and I guess the deal cut with Franchise FC to surrender the FA Cup to the rightful owners in return for their entry into the FSF means it kinda really is the same club.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #47 on November 09, 2019, 12:29:44 pm by RoversAlias »
Oh, I meant to mention as well for anyone going today - if you pick up a programme, I am in it! So be nice if you spot me, as I said on Twitter, judge me on my words not my picture  :chair:

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 09, 2019, 12:58:43 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
 i just checked the prices on this match  Rovers are even money (as in no thank you) wimbledon are 11/4 and the draw is 11/4

some of you said Wimbledon would field a weakened team best price ever for Rovers was about 23/10 ie 1.3 compared to even money now due to the "Shrewd-bury effect"

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 09, 2019, 02:12:35 pm by Reesielad »
Dieng and Sheaf both being allowed to start by their parent clubs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 09, 2019, 02:18:03 pm by Alan Southstand »
No Daniels or James and the bench is almost devoid of experience.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #51 on November 09, 2019, 02:29:10 pm by 5 on Tour »
No Whiteman either

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #52 on November 09, 2019, 02:40:11 pm by RoversAlias »

Their bench is worse than ours for that, a bunch of kids including players brought back from loans in the seventh tier yesterday.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 09, 2019, 02:50:09 pm by steve@dcfd »

Their bench is worse than ours for that, a bunch of kids including players brought back from loans in the seventh tier yesterday.
So what tier have  Longbottom Watters and Blaney last season been loaned to. Lawlor, May and maybe Bingham are better quality. Not saying our young lads are not capable of a performance if asked for but theirs might be the same.

keith79

• Forum Member
« Reply #54 on November 09, 2019, 03:18:52 pm by keith79 »
The answers to the last 2 questions Brian are no, and no. However, that's just me. It's whether DM is interested in this competition that counts.

The team he puts out next week will tell us that.
I find your answers of no & no SS very sad indeed. Of course that’s your view but i sincerely hope you are in a small minority.

The FA Cup was so special when i was growing in the 1960’s
My 1st FA Cup final at Wembley was one month before my 15th birthday in April 1970 Leeds v Chelsea. A fabulous experience & a day I will never forget.
Although my 1st ever trip to the twin towers was in March 1968 for the League Cup Final. Leeds v Arsenal.
A truly magical day for a 12 year old.
So the Cup competitions are ingrained in my DNA

It really upsets me that many clubs, managers and supporters treat the FA Cup as a second rate competition & the League Cup as a third rate one.
On a personal front i don’t understand it at all. How many competitions are there to win. How many opportunities are there to get to Wembley the Mecca of world football.

Something radical needs to be done to re ignite the glamour that once was the FA Cup.
I would suggest a Champions league place for the winners would help for a start.
Reduce the premier league to 18 clubs ( less fixtures ) would also help.
The final back to Saturday 3-00pm kick off with no other fixtures that weekend would also help.

Will the Premier league and the FA do any of these things? Unfortunately probably not.

What a travesty the way they treat the greatest Cup competition in the World.
If you think for one moment that UEFA would sanction a Champions League place for the winners of the English Football Association Cup then you’re very much deluded.

The winners of the Europa League Cup (formerly the Inter-Cities Fairs Cup before morphing into the UEFA Cup) are granted an opportunity to play in the Champions League, why, simply because it is one of their competitions. When they realised this competition was withering on the vine, they gave the incentive to participants of a place in the Champions League (the biggest money spinning competition in the world) upon winning it’s ‘poorer cousin’.

It’s about politics, power & money.

The FA Cup is viewed by the games hierarchy as a quaint English indulgence, nothing more.
dont UEFA give england so many places for.the champions league  and it upto the fa how they give them away?

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #55 on November 09, 2019, 05:42:58 pm by Chris Black come back »
Aside from first ten mins of second half, I thought we played well. Thomas definitely gives us something different. Ball sticks to him. A slightly poorer man’s Chris Brown. Again some of stuff Copps pulled out the hat was superb. Amos had a good game. We battled and played football. Can’t ask for more than that.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 07:03:09 pm by Chris Black come back »

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 09, 2019, 06:38:33 pm by steve@dcfd »
Aside from first ten mins of second half, I thought we played well. Thomas definitely gives us something different. Ball sticks to him. A slightly poorer man’s Chris Brown. Again some of stuff Copps pulled out the hat was superb. Amos has a good game. We battled and played football. Can’t ask for more than that.

One thing Chris taking good chances would make all the good play we have even better.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #57 on November 09, 2019, 06:50:43 pm by drfchound »
Our shots on target ratio today was 70% (seven out of ten)
In the first round of the FACup today only Solihull Moors and Billericay Town bettered that.
Solihull won 5-1 and bizarrely Billericay lost 4-0.

Alickismyhero

• VSC Member
« Reply #58 on November 09, 2019, 08:39:41 pm by Alickismyhero »
Aside from first ten mins of second half, I thought we played well. Thomas definitely gives us something different. Ball sticks to him. A slightly poorer man’s Chris Brown. Again some of stuff Copps pulled out the hat was superb. Amos had a good game. We battled and played football. Can’t ask for more than that.

I didn't think it was Copps best day today. Best players for me Thomas/ Anderson. Their Goal goes down to our keeper error, he slipped over. Anderson's goal was a fantastic determined header.  I thought it was a good hard fought FA Cup game with conditions not suitable for our footballing team. In the end it was fair result.

I take it back.......the keeper never fell over, it was a fair goal.

Sadlier's father and  family stood beside us today.

I fear there was a very bad RTA on the opposite carriageway of the M25 on the way there. Fingers crossed there is no bad news
on the way back to their families tonight.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 10:27:07 pm by Alickismyhero »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 09, 2019, 10:02:25 pm by Metalmicky »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012