Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 08, 2024, 08:40:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Job done.  (Read 2652 times)

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
Job done.
« on November 19, 2019, 10:13:30 pm by redandwhitearmy »
As the title says,job done and through to the next round.

Terrible first half and probably lucky to go in level, very comfortable second half and the much better team and in truth could’ve had three or four. God only knows how Bingham missed that chance late on when he was about six yards out with the whole goal to win at and what a header from their defender to stop Taylor scoring.

Coppinger like a fine wine, outstanding and controlled the whole game. Everything positive we did in that second half came through him! Classy finish and got the assist too. Clear MOTM without question.

Didn’t think anybody looked poor apart from Thomas, he’s so far out of his league it’s unbelievable. I cannot believe we even signed him,never mind the fact that he’s actually starting. I would’ve played Sadlier or May upfront tonight,neither are strikers but at least they resemble footballers...

Main thing is we are through though, comfortable performance overall and definitely positives to take. Looks like Gillingham away in the next round a week on Saturday unless something changes in the next few minutes in their game so a decent chance of potentially progressing to the third round.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Filo

• VSC Member
Re: Job done.
« Reply #1 on November 19, 2019, 10:18:11 pm by Filo »
A boring game if I’m honest, freezing and wish I hadn’t bothered

Padge_DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on November 19, 2019, 10:18:54 pm by Padge_DRFC »
Any news on Ennis. Agreed Thomas looks dreadful. Need Ennis back asap

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on November 19, 2019, 10:27:30 pm by IDM »

WTF?

Ok we were not at our best but that was far from boring,with two quality goals and vintage Copps..

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #4 on November 19, 2019, 10:29:39 pm by since-1969 »
We looked rusty . I hope we’re up for fight on Saturday , we looked dreadful in the first half , slack passing and not enough movement up front to create even one corner or one free kick.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on November 19, 2019, 10:30:21 pm by redandwhitearmy »

I’m exactly same, laid in bed and can’t warm up. Wish I stayed at home with the fire on! First half was boring, enjoyed the second half a little bit more.

Happy that we are through though and would rather a boring game and win as oppose to a entertaining game and a loss!

Plus it means we don’t have another free weekend on 2nd round weekend.

StocksArmy

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on November 19, 2019, 10:33:31 pm by StocksArmy »
Somebody explain to me what Madger Gomes's roll was tonight? My heat map must have looked better than his!
« Last Edit: November 19, 2019, 10:35:36 pm by StocksArmy »

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on November 19, 2019, 10:36:41 pm by andysly »
Contrary to popular opinion I thought Thomas did ok. He’s limited as a footballer and hopefully only a stopgap till we get somebody else in but he held the ball up pretty well and engineered a few free kicks.

redandwhitearmy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on November 19, 2019, 10:37:33 pm by redandwhitearmy »
Somebody explain to me what Madger Gomes's roll was tonight? My heat map must have looked better than his tonight!

Glad you’ve mentioned it! He was that anonymous that I forgot to mention him in my opening post.  We might aswell have played with 9 men in the first half with how him and Thomas performed.

In fairness to Gomes though, he was much better last week at Wimbledon when he was played more centrally. He is nowhere near as effective when out wide in my opinion.

I do see a glimmer of potential or something to work on with him, Thomas however... get rid in January.

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on November 19, 2019, 10:40:37 pm by Retdon1 »
We’re a good striker away from being a top 4 side... January is only 6 weeks away. Let’s hope Moore knows who he wants and is decisive this time around.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on November 19, 2019, 10:45:28 pm by Alan Southstand »
Gomes played out of position, for him, tonight and was struggling first half, but the same could have been said for quite a few of them in that first half! Second half, much like the rest of the team (Thomas excepted), he improved.

The 2 differences in the second half were:

1. Wimbledon didn’t keep up with their high pressing game, and
2. Copps turned on the style.

As someone has already said, 9 of the 11 pick themselves, but the trouble is, it is like playing with 9 men most weeks. I seriously hope we’ve got incoming plans for 1st January.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on November 19, 2019, 10:52:56 pm by steve@dcfd »
We’re a good striker away from being a top 4 side... January is only 6 weeks away. Let’s hope Moore knows who he wants and is decisive this time around.
Let’s hope the CEO and Chairman can get the players on Jan 1st they should be already sorted

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on November 19, 2019, 11:01:03 pm by Retdon1 »
Let’s hope the CEO and Chairman can get the players on Jan 1st they should be already sorted

Yep, we can’t have another month of constantly hearing that we’re working hard to try and bring the right players in.... those players should already be identified

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on November 19, 2019, 11:39:00 pm by 5 on Tour »
I don’t think Thomas is that bad. What he does very well is flick the ball on when hit hard towards him - he did it umpteen times tonight against 2 big CB’s. Issue being absolutely no-one is anywhere near him when it happens as he’s the lone central front man. In a 2 man front line I think he would be a good asset, however, we aren’t going to play that way under DM so he isn’t bringing anything to the side. Bingham does look a handful though. He’s big and strong and fast although none of those things helped him when he really should have made it 3. He looks the better of the 2 though.

For me the first half revolved around Gomes but for all the wrong reasons. He left the defence so exposed it was ridiculous. Whichever side he switched to we instantly became attacked down because he just couldn’t get in a decent position so it was constantly 2 on 1. Yet when he’s central he looks pretty solid defensively. If we need to play a player out wide in place of the regulars than stick May on. His heat map is like when you used to press background fill on paint.

Overall rusty first half. Good second half. We move on and let’s go beat Gillingham and the “temporary” golf stand they call an away end.

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on November 19, 2019, 11:40:56 pm by pib »
Maybe it was boring at times but supporters support...

First half was poor, but we did some good things second half and should’ve probably had another goal or two.

Taylor and Copps the standout players. Gomes sadly just looks lost and well off the pace - not sure if he’s unable to play the wide role or just not up to it. Thomas was unconvincing but looked better second half when Rovers were on the front foot and he started putting himself about more.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on November 20, 2019, 12:35:42 am by RoversAlias »
Gomes played out of position, for him, tonight and was struggling first half, but the same could have been said for quite a few of them in that first half! Second half, much like the rest of the team (Thomas excepted), he improved.

The 2 differences in the second half were:

1. Wimbledon didn’t keep up with their high pressing game, and
2. Copps turned on the style.

As someone has already said, 9 of the 11 pick themselves, but the trouble is, it is like playing with 9 men most weeks. I seriously hope we’ve got incoming plans for 1st January.

Not disagreeing with you overall Alan, but surely we have 10 sure starters rather than 9? Gomes was filling in for Sadlier tonight, who is one of our best players. I think the first XI is quite strong aside from the centre forward position.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on November 20, 2019, 08:11:44 am by Pancho Regan »
In truth we were fortunate to go in level at half time. We were very poor.
Wimbledon were no great shakes but we made them look good. They were the better team and should have gone ahead.

Thankfully the second half performance was much better and we got our passing game going. As others have said, Copps was so influential in that second half and the wee man was the difference between the two sides and that got us the win.

Taylor I feel also had a very good second half and always looked dangerous. His determination won the ball in the centre of the pitch and he then played a superb through-ball for Copps to run onto for the first goal.
He did the same again by sending Copps away to make the cross for Bingham to score the second and decisive goal with a simple tap-in.

So Copps and Taylor won that game for us in my opinion. It's good to have two real 'footballers' in your side when the general performance is below par.

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on November 20, 2019, 12:40:13 pm by RobTheRover »
Made me laugh when Copps did that flick ball/Cruyff pass behind his leg late on in the 2nd half that did all the Wimbledon defenders and then had a go at Gomes when it did him too and he couldn't catch it

dijit8

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on November 20, 2019, 01:14:12 pm by dijit8 »
Below par performance in first half once we scored though I felt we were in control and could have two or three more.
Thomas gets some criticism on here but he also is isolated a lot of the time up front on his own and has little choice but to try to hold up play or earn a free kick which he gets more often than he is penalised. He probably isn't the long term choice up front but has done ok at times.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012