Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:25:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Playing Out  (Read 2849 times)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
Playing Out
« on January 07, 2020, 11:30:57 pm by RoversAlias »
Oh yes, this is going to be a praise. I pointed it out on Twitter but this has been discussed so much lately on the forum I thought I'd bring it up here too.

At one stage in the first half, Dieng played a short goal kick to Wright. He squared it to Anderson who gave it back to Dieng. I heard some murmurs around me.

Now this happened a few times where Dieng would hang onto it, or one of those two would, waiting for Shrewsbury to come forward at them. They were reluctant to as they were set up cautiously, but when Anderson gave it back to Dieng, Shrewsbury took the bait and their players came forward. At that point, Dieng played an inch-perfect pass out to James on the left flank and between him and Sadlier, worked it forward. No more than ten seconds after the ball had been at the goalkeeper's feet, Rovers had a corner.

THAT is what this short play out from the back is all about. And it proves we can do it. We scored a goal doing similar in one of the other recent games - can't remember if it was our Sunderland goal, might have that wrong - and as the confidence grows among the defence, the more effective this tactic can be. It's astute from Darren Moore and he is instilling that confidence in the players to do it.

Long may it continue. Let's try to be patient with them as they try to perfect it and we'll reap the rewards.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

drfchound

• Forum Member
Re: Playing Out
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2020, 11:36:49 pm by drfchound »
RA, I am a fan of us playing out from the back and your description of why is exactly right.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 07, 2020, 11:37:06 pm by dknward2 »
Think the problem is the pass to James or haliday can be made first cutting out wright or Anderson and the other teams press.

Or it takes so long to do that first pass, the only issue I have is if it gets intercepted then they are in the penalty area lining up to score or if it goes long we are playing them on side.

If it goes well it looks great and can lead to the chance described in the opening post, if it goes wrong then it makes for an easy scoring opportunities

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2020, 11:38:42 pm by drfchound »
How many goals have we conceded this season as a direct result of playing from the back?

pib

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2020, 11:40:05 pm by pib »
It’s great when it works, no doubt about that. We just need to be a bit more savvy when teams suss it out so we don’t play our way into trouble.

Thankfully there was little danger of that tonight as Shrewsbury looked just about as poor a side as I’ve seen this season.

Cbrover24

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2020, 11:49:12 pm by Cbrover24 »
Tbf tonight I thought there was a good mixture of playing it out from the back and hitting it a bit longer at times! I remember sat behind the goal thinking, this is better compared to other games where they just fannyed around inviting pressure nearly getting caught out!! (Heart in the mouth stuff too many times in previous games) well played the back 4! More of the same come Saturday please!

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2020, 12:18:38 am by BillyStubbsTears »
RA had it bang on.

One of the most difficult jobs in modern football is stretching a well-drilled defence. If a team sits deep and is disciplined, it's a hell of a job to get through or round them.

Attacking football used to be about getting the ball up to the front line, winning a physical tussle and working something from the pieces. These days it's far more about trying to pull organised midfields and defences out of shape and hitting them in the gaps.

We did that excellently from the back tonight. To echo RA's comments, it looked like a deliberate ploy to play the ball back to Dieng and invite a player to press onto him, when Shrewsbury's game plan wasn't about a high press. That stretched the Shrewsbury formation and opened gaps between the striker and midfield, and when we then played the ball into that gap it meant the midfield had to push higher up, opening gaps behind them.

Clearly we are still having problems when a side presses high against us in a determined way. I guess the learning job is to know when that is happening, see the gaps that is producing and get the ball quickly into those spaces.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2020, 09:42:33 am by Spud »
I think we are playing it better, & also mixing it up a bit more.
I said to my lad at the Oxford game, I think Dieng is probably the best passer in our defence & so it seems to work better when he ends up the one playing it out.

Edit; also works better with James at LB as he's naturally wider & higher up the pitch than John.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 10:27:45 am by Spud »

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2020, 10:39:36 am by Colin C No.3 »
Still puts the ‘willies’ up me (cue puns!), but if we can bring in some height up front it will give us a better option for a long ball to be headed on to runners, should DM choose to use that tactic of course.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2020, 11:54:15 am by ravenrover »
Think I read somewhere he started off as a midfieder at Grasshoppers

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2020, 11:58:39 am by idler »
He's good at Kung fu as well. :chair:
One for the old ones among us.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on January 08, 2020, 12:02:41 pm by ravenrover »
Is that No47 on the menu?

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 08, 2020, 12:10:57 pm by IDM »
I just see the title of this thread and I’m reminded of a knock on the door for a kickabout with mates after school, all those years ago..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2020, 02:49:29 pm by drfchound »
I see that no one has yet come back with an answer to my query about how many goals we have conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2020, 02:53:37 pm by donnievic »
I see that no one has yet come back with an answer to my query about how many goals we have conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back.
i would guess at where Daniels gave the pen away

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on January 08, 2020, 02:55:32 pm by drfchound »

So, just the one then.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 08, 2020, 04:24:36 pm by donnievic »

So, just the one then.

is that correct then or don’t you know lol,and I don’t mind them playing out at all,yes there’s times when you shouldn’t but think most moan and shit themselves to much over it

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 08, 2020, 04:36:01 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I have been critical of the insistence on only playing it out from the back.  My point being that to make it the sole tactic means we're totally predictable and teams can plan accordingly.  I advocated mixing it up, and that is precisely what happened yesterday and how right yesterday proved me to have been.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2020, 04:48:52 pm by drfchound »

So, just the one then.

is that correct then or don’t you know lol,and I don’t mind them playing out at all,yes there’s times when you shouldn’t but think most moan and shit themselves to much over it

Ha, the truth is that I couldn’t remember any others apart from the Daniels pen one.
No doubt someone will come up with another one but we have probably conceded more as a result of knocking the long ball, losing it and it coming straight back.
I am also happy for us to play out from the back and actually look forward to us doing it (and listening to the fans around me panicking).

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2020, 04:54:44 pm by donnievic »
Think they panicking thinking it’s them that it’s being passed to as not player who can control the ball and pass it on,only thing I’m not keen on is they passing to sheaf or Whiteman when they got there back to goal and a opp player right up there arse.i wouldn’t mind a defender taking a goal kick and passing it straight to deing,think he could even play midfield

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2020, 05:45:29 pm by drfchound »
Think they panicking thinking it’s them that it’s being passed to as not player who can control the ball and pass it on,only thing I’m not keen on is they passing to sheaf or Whiteman when they got there back to goal and a opp player right up there arse.i wouldn’t mind a defender taking a goal kick and passing it straight to deing,think he could even play midfield

That is interesting (about Whiteman and Sheaf) as me and my mate have often said that same thing, especially about Whiteman.

nortikorner

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2020, 05:52:24 pm by nortikorner »
DRFCHOUND I see that no one has yet come back with an answer to my query about how many goals we have conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back.
you should not concede from a goal kick playing from the back increases the chance of conceding
 in answer to the question playing from the back how many goals has it created you can not ask one without the other

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2020, 06:08:14 pm by drfchound »
DRFCHOUND I see that no one has yet come back with an answer to my query about how many goals we have conceded as a direct result of playing out from the back.
you should not concede from a goal kick playing from the back increases the chance of conceding
 in answer to the question playing from the back how many goals has it created you can not ask one without the other

A couple of full stops would have made that a bit easier to understand.

However, we have scored goals as a direct result of playing out from the back, most recently against Sunderland.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2020, 06:34:08 pm by selby »
  I think we have done it well in the last few games, and norti, I can't say it has cost us a goal yet.
   Having everyone in our own box when giving away a corner however I know of at least two when the ball has gone out to a player to put it back in the box or have a shot from distance without being under any pressure.
 And we have given a couple away when we have had a corner, and have been hit on the break the full length of the pitch, the last one at Wimbledon.
  Percentage wise I don't think it is as dangerous as our approach to the other two situations, it doesn't seem so anyway.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on January 08, 2020, 06:41:52 pm by drfchound »
Hi selby, on the thing about having everyone back defending an opponents corner, I read somewhere recently (it might have been on this forum) that statistics show that teams are less likely to concede a goal when they do that.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 08, 2020, 06:49:59 pm by selby »
  I can't argue with that, it may be true, but if any team could go against the grain and prove the statistics wrong it would be the Rovers.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 08, 2020, 07:15:05 pm by i_ateallthepies »

However, we have scored goals as a direct result of playing out from the back, most recently against Sunderland.

Conversely, Sunderland didn't once bother playing out from the back... and they beat us, comfortably.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 08, 2020, 08:52:44 pm by drfchound »

Conversely, Sunderland didn't once bother playing out from the back... and they beat us, comfortably.

I wouldn’t say that they beat us comfortably pies, but they did beat us.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on January 08, 2020, 08:57:10 pm by donnievic »

i put that down to them being better than us on the day

TinyPortal © 2005-2012