Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:33:52 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Run-in  (Read 2025 times)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
Run-in
« on January 08, 2020, 05:17:50 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'd been thinking we had one of the easier run-ins, because of how few games we've played against sides near the bottom. I'd also assumed that, because we've played so many of the sides at the top, we'd had a harder than average first half of the season.

Apparently not.

When you take into account the number of home games we've played and the away games we have to come, we've had the third easiest run to date and we have the fourth hardest run-in in the division.

The page below works out the average ppg of our opponents in every match to date (taking into account whether we played them at home or away, and what their season-long average ppg is in home or away matches as appropriate) and the same for the matches to come. Not perfect of course, because it doesn't take into account the form of the sides when we played them, but it's probably the best you can easily do.

Turns out the average of the sides we've played is 1.27 and the current average of the sides we've still to play is 1.42.

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england3&tid=10 

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

jackthelad

• Forum Member
Re: Run-in
« Reply #1 on January 08, 2020, 05:18:39 pm by jackthelad »
Very small margins though and not much in it either way.

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on January 08, 2020, 05:21:13 pm by donnievic »
We are half way through season anything could happen between now and when the run in really starts in last 10 games

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on January 08, 2020, 05:31:02 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
I was looking at the Inbalance of home to away games and we're due to have a number of away day double headers. A challenge for the squad, as well as the hardy fans who follow us up and down the country.

It's the proverbial, take each game as it comes then have a look where we are at the beginning of March. If we are in and around it by then, then anything can happen and normally does, good or bad.

I think DM is a shrewd cookie  and will try and take the emotion off the pitch and be very pragmatic in getting the job done.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 08, 2020, 06:51:43 pm by Alan Southstand »
Get the signings we need and the points per game stats may not have the same impact.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 08, 2020, 09:20:08 pm by selby »
  The harder the better, we didn't do that well in the ten easy games before Christmas someone once told me we had, and we have just beaten two sides out of the top six, and a team who held a Championship side in the cup away in our last four games.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on January 08, 2020, 09:41:46 pm by Campsall rover »
I'd been thinking we had one of the easier run-ins, because of how few games we've played against sides near the bottom. I'd also assumed that, because we've played so many of the sides at the top, we'd had a harder than average first half of the season.

Apparently not.

When you take into account the number of home games we've played and the away games we have to come, we've had the third easiest run to date and we have the fourth hardest run-in in the division.

The page below works out the average ppg of our opponents in every match to date (taking into account whether we played them at home or away, and what their season-long average ppg is in home or away matches as appropriate) and the same for the matches to come. Not perfect of course, because it doesn't take into account the form of the sides when we played them, but it's probably the best you can easily do.

Turns out the average of the sides we've played is 1.27 and the current average of the sides we've still to play is 1.42.

https://www.soccerstats.com/table.asp?league=england3&tid=10
Sometimes the hard games on paper are the easiest in reality. Can we play Posh every week please, as an example.
The teams we should beat often turn out to be the toughest ones. Wimbledon and Accrington as just 2 examples.

So BST one game at a time is simply the order of the day.
Although i do look forward to reading your statistical info.  :)

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 08, 2020, 09:53:24 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Sometimes Campsall. But not usually, over a season.

There's a reason why some teams are in the top half and others in the bottom half.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2020, 10:05:49 pm by Campsall rover »
Sometimes Campsall. But not usually, over a season.

There's a reason why some teams are in the top half and others in the bottom half.
That’s true.
We do though seem to play better against teams who try to play attacking football and they generally are the ones near the top end of the league.
Wycombe were an exception this season as they were awful.
Could not believe how poor a footballing team they are or at least were on the day.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2020, 11:25:47 pm by dickos1 »
As I’ve mentioned a few times, it suits us when sides come out to play
Shrewsbury weren’t very good but they played openly and didn’t sit back, almost all the games we’ve lost this season it’s been against sides that have defended deeply.

We play quick counter attacking football which is obviously suited to games against sides who are mostly on the front foot

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 09, 2020, 08:40:09 am by Campsall rover »
As I’ve mentioned a few times, it suits us when sides come out to play
Shrewsbury weren’t very good but they played openly and didn’t sit back, almost all the games we’ve lost this season it’s been against sides that have defended deeply.

We play quick counter attacking football which is obviously suited to games against sides who are mostly on the front foot
We scored in the 4th min. That was crucial. Shrewsbury could not play the tactical game they would have wanted to play.
They had to come out and that played into our hands. We should have been much more clinical and finished them off before half time or at least early in the 2nd half.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012