Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 03:43:06 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Current form  (Read 14053 times)

graingrover

• VSC Member
Re: Current form
« Reply #30 on November 23, 2019, 06:07:32 pm by graingrover »
We played really well today and deserved a point .The penalty was a harsh decision .

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on November 23, 2019, 06:07:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Am I the only one who thinks this squad, when fully fit, is better than last seasons? In my opinion, the football is much better for a start, and had we not lost the likes of Ennis and John through injuries, as well as playing three games less than some of the other teams, we'd be in a play-off position. I don't think our start/stop run of games have helped either.

There's a lot to be said for momentum, and from various reasons beyond our control we've not had a consistent run of games.

I agree with this. It started in the summer with mccann going which stopped the momentum from.last year and it's just kind of continued in to the season.  That and ultimately selling Marquis has harmed us, we clearly lack a little up front. Despite DM doing his best with what hes got we are still short there by a long way.

However there are also some big positives and if we get January right we could more forward with purpose in to the second half of this season.

graingrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on November 23, 2019, 06:09:59 pm by graingrover »
Current form based on the last 90 minutes I watched today is fine .

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #33 on November 23, 2019, 06:13:49 pm by sheffield exile1 »
OK sickener today. However overall I am impressed with Moore an what he has brought to DRFC.  Its obvious to all that we desperately need a Marquis replacement... not sure  of the politics as to why that did not happen.  However while we continue with a queue of loans/free transfers the striker position will always be under scrutiny. I go back to Ipswich away. We would have 3 points from that with a proven striker. Ennis tried his best but actually was not up to the mark, no disrespect to the lad, its not his fault. I cannot see why such as Eoin Doyle cannot be in the frame, knows the area, as in ex-Chesterfield and scoring for fun. I know Norwood hasn't hit heady heights at Ipswich so the transition is not a guarantee, but worth a punt??

Copps is Magic

• Forum Member
« Reply #34 on November 23, 2019, 06:15:16 pm by Copps is Magic »
Am I the only one who thinks this squad, when fully fit, is better than last seasons? In my opinion, the football is much better for a start, and had we not lost the likes of Ennis and John through injuries, as well as playing three games less than some of the other teams, we'd be in a play-off position. I don't think our start/stop run of games have helped either.

The squad is better generally but there is no way you can say our forward line is currently better than Marquis and Wilkes last season. They were excellent.

Rovers are a train heading for May with a few who need to get off at January, and a couple come on with first class tickets.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #35 on November 23, 2019, 06:15:47 pm by dickos1 »
So when we do well we are lucky, and when we dp
less well we are poor...

What do we have to do to please you.?

When have I said we’re lucky?
We are really struggling at the minute, from the last 10 games we’ve managed 12 points.
Whilst this form should just keep us out the relegation zone, if we continue in this veign were going to end up around 18/19th in the league.

What is happening with ennis, Stirling and John, our main signings this summer?
Our defence is looking good, the midfield is also looking good enough for a good season but the strike force is conference level at best.

We have played 15 games in League One this season and have 23 points. After 15 games last season we had 25 points. We are only two points shy of where we were last season.

Yes
We started the season off very well,
But the last 3 months have been dreadful, we’re lucky we had such a good start to the season because 12 points from 10 games is very poor
Are you happy with 12 points from 10 games

There, you said it yourself only a few posts ago..

If you are trying to say you didn’t say that, there’s no point entertaining a sensible debate with you.

Yes I would prefer we had more points, but we haven’t, so we look ahead to the next game..

No,
Obviously I mean it’s lucky we had such a good start not that we were ever lucky in a game.
But of course you know that

So we weren't lucky, we were lucky. Got it.

Obviously can’t understand simple logic

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on November 23, 2019, 06:16:48 pm by Retdon1 »
I think the 1st 11 is better and more entertaining but the ben
I think the 1st 11 is better and more entertaining but the bench is very weak for me
ch is very weak for me

Mason or Halliday
Andrew or James
Butler or Daniels
Kane or Sheaf
Wilkes or Taylor
Marquis or Ennies/Thomas

I think bar the 2 full backs our starting 11 was much better last season

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on November 23, 2019, 06:18:47 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Strange isn’t it how the same old posters pop up after a defeat? I wonder how many were there today? I was and we played very well against a very, very decent team. If you’re determined to have a dig though then I guess that doesn’t make much difference.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #38 on November 23, 2019, 06:20:01 pm by sheffield exile1 »
OK, several posts on this thread are from the usual suspects, the WUMs, which one expects at frustrating times -- but the other doom and gloom posts are surprising. Have just watched our lads battle away courageously, and at times out played the table topping team in the first half, and at times with 10 men for virtually all of the second half -- only to be thwarted in injury time by that dubious penalty. My only observation is that Sadlier should have played from the start in place of Gomes -- but that apart this DM team has great potential, and Rovers are doing well in the context of McCann's shock departure, long term injuries to Blair and the loan players, postponed games and the shocking Bolton debacle. Is this pessimism a Yorkshire trait, or because younger generations are brought up to expect too much? COYR

Alonzo- please don't post common sense like this. Its not what the WUM/s on this forum want. You didn't mention once- such phrases as how do you know that, you would say that ....its far too refreshing my friend!

redarmy82

• Forum Member
« Reply #39 on November 23, 2019, 06:25:35 pm by redarmy82 »
We don't have a better squad. Or starting 11.
Thwse are the players who left, now tell me which replacements are better.
Andrew
Mason
Downing
butler
Kane
Wilks
Marquis
Rowe.

I

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #40 on November 23, 2019, 06:41:23 pm by steve@dcfd »
Andrew
Mason
Downing
butler
Kane
Wilks
Marquis
Rowe.

I

It’s not the defenders all are as good if not better.

The front four is the problem, four from Kane  Wilks Marquis Rowe and Copps would see us top of the league now.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #41 on November 23, 2019, 06:49:01 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Andrew
Mason
Downing
butler
Kane
Wilks
Marquis
Rowe.

I

More relevant- who could we have retained of those (realistically) so, the ones we couldn't, academic argument.
I was like you feared the worst this season in terms of squad/performance- but Moore to me has got the best out of the existing squad- defying expectations. Yes glaringly obvious striker problem but apart from that some sublime performances this season. By the way on Tuesday  evening a chap behind us in the west shouted "Pack your bags Moore!"  at 0-0 priceless!! You couldn't make that up!

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #42 on November 23, 2019, 06:55:14 pm by steve@dcfd »
DM has done great with the players he has at his disposal it would have been better I think if he had Blair, Ennis and Sterling available. But he must be allowed to bring in two players at least in the transfer window for the front positions.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #43 on November 23, 2019, 06:57:54 pm by Chris Black come back »
Strange isn’t it how the same old posters pop up after a defeat? I wonder how many were there today? I was and we played very well against a very, very decent team. If you’re determined to have a dig though then I guess that doesn’t make much difference.

Agree with this.

Rather than, how close we came to very good result, it is about how recent form is not good.

You do wonder sometimes.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #44 on November 23, 2019, 06:59:44 pm by IDM »
less well we are poor...

We are really struggling at the minute, from the last 10 games we’ve managed 12 points.
Whilst this form should just keep us out the relegation zone, if we continue in this veign were going to end up around 18/19th in the league.

Our defence is looking good, the midfield is also looking good enough for a good season but the strike force is conference level at best.

We have played 15 games in League One this season and have 23 points. After 15 games last season we had 25 points. We are only two points shy of where we were last season.

Yes
But the last 3 months have been dreadful, we’re lucky we had such a good start to the season because 12 points from 10 games is very poor

If you are trying to say you didn’t say that, there’s no point entertaining a sensible debate with you.

Yes I would prefer we had more points, but we haven’t, so we look ahead to the next game..

No,
Obviously I mean it’s lucky we had such a good start not that we were ever lucky in a game.

You expect people to be mind readers by knowing precisely what you meant when saying we were lucky, then weren’t lucky - then you accuse someone of not being able to follow simple logic.

If you can’t post simple logic on the first place, don’t bother..

:facepalm:

silent majority

• VSC Member
« Reply #45 on November 23, 2019, 07:02:39 pm by silent majority »

No you're not the only one, I too believe this squad is every bit as good, if not better, than we had last season.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #46 on November 23, 2019, 07:05:48 pm by IDM »
Me too BB, individual players have different qualities and we have a very decent set now, just unlucky with injuries..

If you accept the usual definition of luck that is..

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #47 on November 23, 2019, 07:05:56 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Andrew
Mason
Downing
butler
Kane
Wilks
Marquis
Rowe.

I

We then, that squad last season wanted there arses paddling, given that,after a much easier first 15 games,they were only 2 points ahead of this one.

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #48 on November 23, 2019, 07:10:33 pm by bpoolrover »
I think we’re playing more entertaining football but Kane wilks and marquis and Rowe Would probably all get in this team

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #49 on November 23, 2019, 07:11:56 pm by bpoolrover »
Andrew
Mason
Downing
butler
Kane
Wilks
Marquis
Rowe.

I

We then, that squad last season wanted there arses paddling, given that,after a much easier first 15 games,they were only 2 points ahead of this one.
it depends if you beat the so called easier teams at the start of the season Wycombe were 1 of them, if we don’t beat the so called easier teams it means nothing

bpoolrover

• Forum Member
« Reply #50 on November 23, 2019, 07:17:43 pm by bpoolrover »
We have mk dons,Wimbledon,and Stanley in the next 3 games, then posh Sunderland,Oxford, and Portsmouth, then Bristol Coventry and Sunderland, that’s a tough next couple of months

andysly

• VSC Member
« Reply #51 on November 23, 2019, 07:19:50 pm by andysly »
James in front of Andrew
Mason is a different set of circumstances
Don't forget for much of last season both of these were heavily criticised on here
Downing, i was never sure of, and didn't play that much did he ?
I'm disappointed Butler was allowed to leave but Cam John is better, so is Wright, so is Anderson
Kane - no brainer, straight in
Wilks - yes in for Taylor
Marquis would start as well, but only as we have no CF, again another one heavily criticised, maybe Ennis would be better
Rowe was a bit part player for some reason last season but warrants a game.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #52 on November 23, 2019, 07:59:41 pm by dickos1 »
less well we are poor...

Yes

No,

You expect people to be mind readers by knowing precisely what you meant when saying we were lucky, then weren’t lucky - then you accuse someone of not being able to follow simple logic.

If you can’t post simple logic on the first place, don’t bother..

:facepalm:

It’s a blatantly obvious statement that has no reference to being lucky during matches whatsoever.
In fact it’s the complete opposite, as it states how well we did at the beginning of the season.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #53 on November 23, 2019, 08:32:58 pm by the vicar »
We have just gone away to the league leaders who had a 9-7-2-0 home record this season and played from 49mins with ten men, and lost only to an injury time penalty.

Frustrating yes, but some people honestly you really are never going to please.
but then again they played vastly under par

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #54 on November 23, 2019, 08:39:48 pm by IDM »
Dickos do you get up early in the morning to practice, or are you like this naturally.?

Surrey Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #55 on November 23, 2019, 08:40:20 pm by Surrey Rover »
Some aspects of today were good particularly in defence but I was generally disappointed in the number of times we gave away possession when in promising positions as well as poorly executed dead ball situations. Three times we had free kicks in good areas just outside the box and three times we failed to test their keeper in fact I don’t think he was properly tested throughout the ninety minutes. I wouldn’t describe today as a good performance, resolute in defence yes but from a creative point of view we offered very little.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #56 on November 23, 2019, 08:47:45 pm by NewDonny »
We played really well today and deserved a point .The penalty was a harsh decision .

Oh please, come on, we need a bit of a reality check here, we were very poor today, awful in fact. However I also don't agree with the doom merchants on here who are out to play tonight that the wheels have come off either. Nothing wrong with our front four either that a good number nine won't sort, we are a better team with Ennis up top, but do need a traditional 9 to the lead the line. We have created and had more chances on goal this season than other other club across the whole 4 divisions bar Man City as at 3 weeks ago.

We played the team in top spot today and I thought that were very ordinary, we just made them look better than they were. Time to get back to basics, get our play makers on the ball, get the team playing again and climb the table. For me these cup matches are a distraction, get back to the league games, win our three in hand and suddenly things start to look a whole lot better.

IDM has it about right.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 09:08:53 pm by NewDonny »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #57 on November 23, 2019, 09:07:53 pm by dickos1 »
Dickos do you get up early in the morning to practice, or are you like this naturally.?

Like what?
I’ve expressed my view and you’ve jumped all over it making stuff up, pretending you don’t understand my point.

The point was obvious
We are lucky now that we had such a good start,
How on earth you’ve fathomed that this means we’ve been lucky in games, god only knows

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #58 on November 23, 2019, 09:14:17 pm by NewDonny »
It’s not all doom and gloom but you do wonder where the goals are going to come from, there are quite a few games before the window opens and we’re clearly struggling for form at the minute

Well it doesn't help when you bench your top goal scorer!

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #59 on November 23, 2019, 09:32:10 pm by Herbert Anchovy »

Oh please, come on, we need a bit of a reality check here, we were very poor today, awful in fact. However I also don't agree with the doom merchants on here who are out to play tonight that the wheels have come off either. Nothing wrong with our front four either that a good number nine won't sort, we are a better team with Ennis up top, but do need a traditional 9 to the lead the line. We have created and had more chances on goal this season than other other club across the whole 4 divisions bar Man City as at 3 weeks ago.

We played the team in top spot today and I thought that were very ordinary, we just made them look better than they were. Time to get back to basics, get our play makers on the ball, get the team playing again and climb the table. For me these cup matches are a distraction, get back to the league games, win our three in hand and suddenly things start to look a whole lot better.

IDM has it about right.

You genuinely think we were awful today? We battled well against probably the best team in the division away from home with 10 men for much of the game? Think you’re being very, very harsh.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012