Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:46:17 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: King Alick  (Read 4855 times)

idler

• VSC Member
Re: King Alick
« Reply #30 on December 02, 2019, 11:07:48 pm by idler »
IT was reported at the time that if Alick was transferred then the Rovers would have to repay the insurance company that payed out when he finished his career earlier.
That would have reduced any transfer value. I remember one of the Sunday papers saying that Leeds were looking at him.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #31 on December 02, 2019, 11:18:26 pm by BobG »
I remember that tale Idler. My Dad mentioned it a good number of times.  But I thought the insurance was for the leg break forcing retirement so when he came back, Rovers had to pay it back straight away. Did they have follow on clauses back in 1965?

BobG

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #32 on December 02, 2019, 11:28:05 pm by idler »
The story that I saw at the time was that Rovers could keep the settlement as long as Alick played for us. Were he to move then it had to be given back.

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #33 on December 02, 2019, 11:44:35 pm by BobG »
Ok. I was only a nipper back then so I have no personal knowledge. All I know is my Dad used to tell me the Rovers coughed up the insurance so he could play again. That sounds more logical to me given the reason the insurance was paid out paid originally, but then, like I said, I wasn't there.

Cheers

BobG

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #34 on December 02, 2019, 11:49:54 pm by Dutch Uncle »
My recollection is the same as yours Idler. It had the effect of tying him to Rovers. As well as the payment to Rovers (15K?) I think there was also an insurance payment to Alick himself (4K?) - maybe Rovers paid some or all of that back?

WheatleyRover

• Forum Member
« Reply #35 on December 03, 2019, 12:32:06 am by WheatleyRover »
Would love to see a documentary done on him one day

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #36 on December 03, 2019, 10:19:14 am by idler »
My recollection is the same as yours Idler. It had the effect of tying him to Rovers. As well as the payment to Rovers (15K?) I think there was also an insurance payment to Alick himself (4K?) - maybe Rovers paid some or all of that back?
I believed that the insurance company waived Alick's fee due to the tragic circumstances, a carreer as a world class player reduced to playing in the lowest professional English League. I could be wrong though.
The story did feature heavily at the time. In those days the Sunday papers featured more about local sides and little about the big London and foreign sides.

LincolnDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on December 04, 2019, 12:51:07 am by LincolnDonny »
I was lucky enough to have seen Alick play, that was for Lincoln City ...the flick ons etc and ball play was just amazing ...........and i remember fondly watching him even at the later stages of his career......sadly had to clear all my programmes out of the time, .........
I would so have loved for his career from a young age to have gone the way it really should have .......................but i can still be proud .........and say

I saw King Alick

BobG

• VSC Member
« Reply #38 on December 04, 2019, 09:38:39 pm by BobG »
My recollection is the same as yours Idler. It had the effecThank you Dutch. An mmm of tying him to Rovers. As well as the payment to Rovers (15K?) I think there was also an insurance payment to Alick himself (4K?) - maybe Rovers paid some or all of that back?

Thank youi Dutch. And apologies Idler. I think I've sorted it now...! Rovers did pay back the insurance - but it was that which Alick received. Not the club. I'd forgotten the amount but that mention of £4K, Brian, snapped a light bulb on. Thank you.

BobG

TinyPortal © 2005-2012