Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:51:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Gillingham  (Read 3398 times)

phil old leake

• Forum Member
Gillingham
« on December 02, 2019, 08:31:08 am by phil old leake »
The stats suggest we got mullered. Was it a true reflection of the score or could we have got something from the game before they got their third

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Re: Gillingham
« Reply #1 on December 02, 2019, 08:52:29 am by Chris Black come back »
They didn’t have that many chances but I got feeling after their second they just coasted. We were just very, very poor. It was a dire game.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 02, 2019, 09:09:46 am by wing commander »
it's was very disappointing,it's never nice to hear the neutral bbc reporter just sum up your team as woefull..In some ways I wasn't surprised.Neither of our centre backs have had much game time recently.I'm not the manager or have his depth of knowledge of the game however I wouldn't have played John,it was to soon for him..

I would have been bold and played Sheaf back there instead,he's played there before and that would have given us the chance to not play two defensive midfielders which I'm not a fan off and offered a bit more speed and creativety which against big strong teams like the Gills is what you need..

That said we haven't got a striker at the club worthy of the name so not much you can change about that...

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 02, 2019, 09:29:43 am by Donnywolf »
They didn’t have that many chances but I got feeling after their second they just coasted. We were just very, very poor. It was a dire game.

Looked at a Froum of theirs before game and they were taking p*** out of themselves.

In their score comp most predicted NIL for them with a lot of dispariging comments about how they woudnt score

In light of that I went 1 - 2 figuring they WOULD score but exchanging messages with someone who was there they said and I quote "Worst ive seen Donny play in years. We were awful - Gills werent" . Good summary I reckon.

I was at DRI for an appointment and was able to see some of Final Score prog and we barely got a positive mention.

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 02, 2019, 09:53:17 am by Colemans Left Hook »
quote from what i posted during the match on lucky pint bristolrover heard it as well
Rakish Bingham seems to have missed 2 easy chances now according to radio kent one first half on a breakaway

as with any football match if....if....if...   but the bloke is doing his best

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 02, 2019, 10:02:33 am by Donnywolf »
I saw one of the chances - which looked like a diving header that went just wide.

Must have been at 0-2 and as CLH says if ... if .... that had gone in could have been a game changer. Looked close but only saw it once and was "distracted" at the time

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 02, 2019, 12:47:26 pm by 5 on Tour »
The header was not easy at all for Bingham. It was behind him so he was doing his best impression of a contortionist to get onto it and nearly top corner. However, not long before half time it was 3 on 1 and his touch was as subtle as a sledgehammer and straight to the 1. If he had laid it off then Sads, I think, would have been in one the keeper.

gillinghamrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 02, 2019, 12:58:54 pm by gillinghamrover »
We were shit, they weren’t. Next!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 02, 2019, 01:16:45 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
It was the worst performance I’ve seen seen by us all season. We got what we deserved.

goalkick

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 02, 2019, 01:23:18 pm by goalkick »
copps had our first shot on target well into the second half.hope this does not continue in the next few games.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 02, 2019, 08:11:28 pm by drfchound »
I see that Gillingham got themselves a good third round draw.
Home to West Ham.
Could be a TV game that one so besides the round two prize winners money there could be a bumper payday too.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 02, 2019, 08:18:04 pm by Campsall rover »
Home to West Ham.
Could be a TV game that one so besides the round two prize winners money there could be a bumper payday too.
Said they would get a good one. Not one of the big 6 but not far off.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 02, 2019, 08:29:58 pm by selby »
  It is just a story that is repeated most years Hound, last season 's cup run took over 50years to get that far, probably the highlight of the next decade at least.
   We have been crap at cup football for years, teams like Lincoln and Shrewsbury have won useful money over the years compared with us.
  No doubt old Fatty will use the money well and use it to resurrect Gillinghams fortunes, while some of our fans will moan about our budget and Board if we don't do the business they expect the club to do in January.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 08:43:33 pm by selby »

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 02, 2019, 08:41:12 pm by Chris Black come back »
It was the worst performance I’ve seen seen by us all season. We got what we deserved.

It was an absolute crime against football. Utterly woeful in every department. John Ryan always told the story about the first conference game away at Dover we had to pick up Kevin McIntyre at Watford Gap services but nobody knew what he looked like. On Sunday it appeared that every one of those on the pitch was meeting for the first time. It was beyond awful. Truly dreadful.

Only way is now upwards. Nothing can be downwards.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 03, 2019, 12:23:47 am by BillyStubbsTears »
If it's any consolation, in the middle of our charge to the top of Div 3 in Autumn 2003, we lost a cup match at Scarborough with a performance so horrifically poor, the International Monetary Fund had an emergency debate and considered bailing it out.

BigH

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on December 03, 2019, 07:14:56 am by BigH »
Home to West Ham.
Come on Camps, it's only like us and Palace last season. That hardly swelled the coffers with riches beyond compare!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 03, 2019, 09:19:58 am by selby »
  Big H, we made approx £600,000 from cup football last season so people have said, we have made buttons this season, we will be more dependant on our owners, and teams like Gillingham who we oppose in our division, Oxford, Portsmouth, Rotherham, etc, any who are still in the cup, and have a chance to win even more riches, now have an at least financial advantage over us, as well as a lesser but could be important attractive advantage to players they and we might want to attract in the January, or even the summer windows. I don't like the bloke , but know that Evans will make the best of it.
   There is no such thing in any sport as bad success or publicity, Herbert Chapman the Arsenal mastermind in the 1930,s once said to the press," Talk about Arsenal, even if it is bad"  it  still holds true to this day.  Manchester United have had more TV and radio coverage this season than in previous successful years.
  The more people talk about a club, generally the more successful it becomes, and we are poor at projecting ourselves out of our immediate area. Football fans living in mining villages equidistant from Doncaster such as South Elmsall, Conisborough etc are more likely to support Barnsley and Rotherham than ourselves because of us being poor in the past at such as cup football and of course in the league, but we also never worked off the field at projecting the club at all.
   The only person to appreciate this was John Ryan, who was a master at projecting the club and getting it publicity and along came success, players like Stock, Wellens, Mckindoe, who we were shocked at getting as supporters, but came because of the vision the enthusiasm of the owner, and supporters of such as Rotherham and Barnsley took the bait and talked about us, they hated it, because he got the local publicity at the expense of those clubs, and players they fornicated over, the problem is, is that it stopped when he left.

« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 09:37:59 am by selby »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 03, 2019, 09:32:16 am by Metalmicky »
I also see that Leeds managed to get a big away draw - seems like that happens every year...... no doubt it will be on the TV also.

mrfrostsdad

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 03, 2019, 10:15:37 am by mrfrostsdad »
If it's any consolation, in the middle of our charge to the top of Div 3 in Autumn 2003, we lost a cup match at Scarborough with a performance so horrifically poor, the International Monetary Fund had an emergency debate and considered bailing it out.

BST, remember it weil as I live within walking distance of Scarborough's old ground (and the new one for that matter) I got the pish taken out of me at work for ages after that.
But do you know what? I reckon that was the best thing that happened to us that season. We were able to concentrate on the league and get promoted.
I've not lost any sleep about us getting knocked out of the cup at Gillingham. We don't have the strength in depth to go on a cup run like last season, the league is where we need to focus our efforts. Will it help us get promoted like it did in 2003? I'm not sure, because I'm not sure we're that good, but it will help imo.
People will say we've lost money by not having a good cup run, yes we have, but we hardly used the money from last years cup run, or the Marquis sale to strengthen the squad did we?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 03, 2019, 11:21:12 am by Campsall rover »
Home to West Ham.
Come on Camps, it's only like us and Palace last season. That hardly swelled the coffers with riches beyond compare!
Your either having a laugh or you have not done the maths BigH.  :facepalm:

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 03, 2019, 11:29:25 am by Campsall rover »
If my memory serves me right there were a lot of people last season saying our squad wasn’t big enough to sustain a cup run and be successful in the league.

Were we not just a penalty shoot out away from the play off final at Wembley.
Oh yes we were

All this is nonesense about the FA Cup not being important.
IT IS IMPORTANT.
It can be worth a lot of money and positive publicity to a club like us. As Selby has pointed out in above thread.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 11:36:44 am by Campsall rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 03, 2019, 02:33:46 pm by RoversAlias »
The FA Cup is important, but money from a good run is a bonus, not the expectation. It isn't as if we were going bust without that run to the 5th Round last season.

So we lost to Gillingham, so what? By its very nature, not every team can enjoy a hearty run through the FA Cup every season. The draw didn't fall well for us this year, with two long away trips to League One sides, but we didn't take the competition lightly. We may have played dreadfully on Sunday but we played as strong a side as Darren Moore felt we could and it just didn't work out.

Neutrals and casuals are not going to go and watch Rotherham instead of Rovers because the Millers are still in the FA Cup. It won't even register. Our standing in the pyramid and ability to market ourselves will, and our success on those fronts is a debate for another discussion.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on December 03, 2019, 02:35:55 pm by IDM »
That’s spot on..

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #23 on December 03, 2019, 02:49:25 pm by dknward2 »
The fact we are out of this and the league cup means there will be more pressure on to make sure we get at least a playoff place and even into the semis of the god awful leasing.com cup

phil old leake

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 03, 2019, 02:56:16 pm by phil old leake »
I lived in Boston for years and have a bit of an interest. 
If they win their replay. Newcastle at home. 

That could be a tv game

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 03, 2019, 03:57:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
It’s not the losing to Gillingham, though, is it? It’s the way we lost!

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on December 03, 2019, 04:13:39 pm by IDM »
I would be more worried Alan if there hadn’t been several games where this squad had played much better football..

It’s an off day, a bad performance.  We just need to minimise those days..

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 03, 2019, 06:42:56 pm by Alan Southstand »
I hope you’re right, IDM.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 03, 2019, 07:32:05 pm by Campsall rover »
The losing is something that happens.

What is not good is the disdain some people on here seem to have for all the cup competitions.

2 massive plus’s of drawing a top premier league side is the money the club gets and the huge positive publicity it brings.

So to get beaten in the manor we apparently did is a big negative.
Getting beaten when giving it your all is one of those things that happens and you can accept.

Anyway it’s gone now so let’s move on beat Leicester tomorrow and give MK Dons a good hiding on Saturday
1-0 will do nicely though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:38:24 pm by Campsall rover »

TinyPortal © 2005-2012