Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:46:01 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Leicester City game and the MK dons games  (Read 19410 times)

selby

• VSC Member
Let's talk about the Leicester City game and the MK dons games
« on December 02, 2019, 10:00:36 am by selby »
  Two games close together, and important in different ways.
     The last Four games have seen us put under pressure by all the teams imposing their high press game on us, making us play mostly in our own half, the tactic that Mr Clough first imposed on us, and what every team since have seen to be the way to play against us, and seems to be a tactic we have not overcome, or at least causes us trouble, and has caused our own players to look to have lost both form and confidence.
    Against Gillingham, a team that really didn't string two passes together, just put men across the field in banks, made us play across the field in front of them, and just lumped the ball over the top down the channels and turned us at the back, while looking woe full we actually missed the two best chances of the game, a clear header from 8yards and a two on one when the ball was miss controlled with a poor first touch.
  What will we do in these two games? I hope to see a strong team picked on Wednesday, hopefully a more balanced side, Taylor and Thomas ( who played well Sunday and looked far fitter and quicker) and for us as a team to look like we actually want to play well in cup football and not just going through the motions like at Grimsby and Gillingham, games that have cost us a small fortune that could have been  of use in January.
   The M.K. Dons game will be a test of whether we can get back on track in the league, can we get back to some decent form against a promoted side finding it hard to adjust to Division 1.
   Two big tests of our own credentials, two big tests of our own resolve, and a test of our managers ability to lift confidence when for the first time since he arrived things have not gone too well in the last few games, and supporters are beginning to ask questions, especially about our lack of penetration.
  Teams are no longer going to give time and space for us to play pretty football, it is up to us to now earn the right to play our game, and respond to being bullied out of our stride. The pattern has now been set, I expect no more than to see nearly every team play a very similar game against us until we show we can overcome the game being broken up cynically when we have the ball, and force us to play cross field balls in front of an organised defence.
   Lot's to discuss about both games, please have your say.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
Re: Let's talk about the Leicester City game and the MK dons games
« Reply #1 on December 02, 2019, 10:06:29 am by Donnywolf »
Leicester game - hope we go fairly strong. Was surprised yesterday to find we had gone really strong v Gills. I could not look at the Team we fielded till the Game was over and assumed we had gone "weak" Wrong.

I think we will overcome MKD fairly easily but is that me just being "rose coloured Rovers". I dont honestly know but feel we should win easily

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 02, 2019, 10:31:15 am by Metalmicky »
I think the Leicester City game is a good chance to get the Gillingham game out of the heads of those that played... Hopefully DM will send them out with intent and positivity and we can get a performance.

The Saturday game against MK Dons is a game that on paper we should win....... although games are not played on paper etc etc....
MK Dons haven't won in the league since 14 September (11 games) and have lost 10 out of the intervening 11 games.  They will be without regulars George Williams and Baily Cargill - both recently sent off - and are struggling to find the net, having the second poorest scoring record in League One with just 15 goals from 18 games.  I would hope that we can get off to a quick start and impose ourselves on a team that will be lacking confidence. 

Paul Simpson

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 02, 2019, 10:34:38 am by Paul Simpson »
After that debacle I hope the lads reflect and sort it out! If not I envisage a battering from Leicester!

We need Tayls playing with Sads up front Alfie on the wing imo . Not sure about the cb’s ? Daniels?

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 02, 2019, 11:10:09 am by wing commander »
it has to be said our form isn't great and our options up front don't inspire much confidence at the best of times.I've got to honest and say I normally wouldn't be that bothered with the result of the Leicester game,however we need a result for confidence if nothing else..

The league is most important now,weve got to try and keep in touch until January when we can hopefully sign a couple of strikers worthy of the name and a creative midfield player.Get them and we can have a really strong season because the rest of the squad isn't bad.However if we don't add anything or just swap Sterling for another cheap untried youngster then I expect a season of mediocrity...

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 02, 2019, 11:22:47 am by Campsall rover »
Leicester game - hope we go fairly strong. Was surprised yesterday to find we had gone really strong v Gills. I could not look at the Team we fielded till the Game was over and assumed we had gone "weak" Wrong.

I think we will overcome MKD fairly easily but is that me just being "rose coloured Rovers". I dont honestly know but feel we should win easily
I think i am one of, if not the most optimistic contributor to this forum Donnywolf but even I don’t expect an easy win for us on Saturday.
MK Dons will, as Selby said do, as all the others in recent games, press high and try to stop us from playing our natural free flowing passing game.
I will take any win no matter how it comes on Saturday. A scrappy game with a 94th min penalty winner will do for me. We simply need to grind out a win and get the confidence back into the team.

These next 3 league games are so important imo. I know there is a lot of football to play yet but on 4th Jan we will be 4 games behind some of the others and will be playing catch up in Feb, Mar & April.
It’s important we don’t slip too far behind. If we get 9 points from these 3 games MK Dons, Wimbledon & Accrington then we will be in the mix with games in hand. If we don’t win them then we might have too much to do in the second half of the season.

As for Wed against Leicester U21’s I would start with a strong team. Leave Copps out or possibly put him on the bench.
Team WED for me.
Lawlor ( game time as you need your 2nd keeper to be ready )
Halliday
Wright
John
James/Amos
Whiteman
Sheaf
May
Sadlier
Taylor
Thomas

Subs
Deing
Amos or James
Blaney or Daniels?
Gomes
Greaves
Coppinger or Longbottom
Bingham

I presume Anderson won’t be played as not available for next 2 league games. ( suspension doesn’t count for this one )
Blair & Ennis & Kiwomya not fit and maybe Daniels also.

May be sub 3 of them after 60/65 mins depending on fitness and the score line of course.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:30:28 am by Campsall rover »

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 02, 2019, 11:24:38 am by Campsall rover »
After that debacle I hope the lads reflect and sort it out! If not I envisage a battering from Leicester!

We need Tayls playing with Sads up front Alfie on the wing imo . Not sure about the cb’s ? Daniels?
Sadlier is NOT a centre forward. So that’s  a no from me.
Without Ennis we have to play Thomas or Bingham surely.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 11:30:46 am by Campsall rover »

The Red Baron

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 02, 2019, 11:57:15 am by The Red Baron »
Bit torn on the Leicester game. I'd be inclined to play most of those who played at Gillingham yesterday, with perhaps the exception of Dieng and Copps. On the other hand, it might be nice if some of the fringe players- eg Amos, Greaves, Blaney, Watters, Longbottom- actually got the chance to play a full game and show if they are worth a start against MK Dons.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 02, 2019, 12:10:23 pm by Campsall rover »
Bit torn on the Leicester game. I'd be inclined to play most of those who played at Gillingham yesterday, with perhaps the exception of Dieng and Copps. On the other hand, it might be nice if some of the fringe players- eg Amos, Greaves, Blaney, Watters, Longbottom- actually got the chance to play a full game and show if they are worth a start against MK Dons.
Normally i would agree with that and it would be good to see more of Amos, Blaney, Greaves & Watters.
Not sure Longbottom will be with us much longer as he doesn’t seem to have progressed.
He needs to get regular game time now so would let him go personally.

But back to your point Red Baron, i think we need to get yesterday out of the system, get playing some decent football which should be possible against any team Steve Beaglehole coaches as he is an advocate of free flowing football and it’s the Leicester philosophy to play that way. Hopefully we get some confidence back into the team before Saturdays match.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 12:18:49 pm by Campsall rover »

RobTheRover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 02, 2019, 12:22:44 pm by RobTheRover »
I'm taking a Leicester fan I work with to the game on Wednesday.

Hoping we tonk them.

Dutch Uncle

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 02, 2019, 12:24:42 pm by Dutch Uncle »
I would definitely play Anderson against Leicester for 3 reasons:

He is our best defender
Keep his match sharpness for when he returns
One less player to risk injury or suspension with 3 games in 7 days

By the way, has the rule changed this year? I thought only Yellows were competition specific last season? 

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 02, 2019, 01:24:47 pm by Alan Southstand »
I think he’ll go with Daniels and John for 60 mins, to let them get an understanding before Saturday, as I think Wright will be benched on Saturday. Maybe Halliday and Amos as full backs. Midfield is a tough one. Maybe Sheaf and Gomes as the 2, then after that it’s much of a muchness (bar Copps, but he will be ‘rested’) - possible Alfie, Taylor and Sadlier?
Up top, our lass has gone down with a cold, so unfortunately, she’s not available, therefore it could well be Thomas.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 02, 2019, 01:25:11 pm by drfc1951 »
According to Ifollow we are playing Leicester tomorrow at the King Power stadium.

Geoff Blakesley

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 02, 2019, 04:12:17 pm by Geoff Blakesley »
According to Ifollow we are playing Leicester tomorrow at the King Power stadium.
Mine doesn't

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on December 02, 2019, 04:16:07 pm by drfc1951 »
Luke Thornhill changed it this afternoon after I emailed him.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 02, 2019, 04:44:05 pm by drfchound »

He is our best defender

By the way, has the rule changed this year? I thought only Yellows were competition specific last season?

Dutch, on the Anderson thing.......I have said often enough that I don’t think that this competition is officially classed as a first team fixture.
My view has been questioned by some and some have agreed with me.
I think the fact that this game doesn’t count as one of Anderson’s suspension matches confirms what I have thought.
As it doesn’t count then I think it would be sensible to play him in this game as he should be available.

This competition is not of major interest to me and I don’t bother attending, mainly because of the participation of the under 21 teams in what should be a competition for L1 and L2 teams.
Team selection for the games also indicates that DM doesn’t have it high on his list of priorities.

Because the game is on Wednesday I expect that he will play the likes of Amos, May and Lawlor and possibly even AJ Greaves whilst giving such as Copps and Whiteman the night off.
Obviously DM won’t want major players picking up knocks with one less day between this game and the more important one against MK Dons.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on December 02, 2019, 06:54:06 pm by the vicar »
I think the Leicester City game is a good chance to get the Gillingham game out of the heads of those that played... Hopefully DM will send them out with intent and positivity and we can get a performance.

The Saturday game against MK Dons is a game that on paper we should win....... although games are not played on paper etc etc....
MK Dons haven't won in the league since 14 September (11 games) and have lost 10 out of the intervening 11 games.  They will be without regulars George Williams and Baily Cargill - both recently sent off - and are struggling to find the net, having the second poorest scoring record in League One with just 15 goals from 18 games.  I would hope that we can get off to a quick start and impose ourselves on a team that will be lacking confidence. 
that's it then 2-0 Loss then lol 😏

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 02, 2019, 07:05:14 pm by the vicar »

He is our best defender

Dutch, on the Anderson thing.......I have said often enough that I don’t think that this competition is officially classed as a first team fixture.
My view has been questioned by some and some have agreed with me.
I think the fact that this game doesn’t count as one of Anderson’s suspension matches confirms what I have thought.
As it doesn’t count then I think it would be sensible to play him in this game as he should be available.

This competition is not of major interest to me and I don’t bother attending, mainly because of the participation of the under 21 teams in what should be a competition for L1 and L2 teams.
Team selection for the games also indicates that DM doesn’t have it high on his list of priorities.

Because the game is on Wednesday I expect that he will play the likes of Amos, May and Lawlor and possibly even AJ Greaves whilst giving such as Copps and Whiteman the night off.
Obviously DM won’t want major players picking up knocks with one less day between this game and the more important one against MK Dons.

Hound they all had a day off on Sunday mate and should be made to play and put it right after under performing

Colemans Left Hook

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 02, 2019, 07:09:10 pm by Colemans Left Hook »
it's nice to see Selby finally getting into the black friday spirit (read two threads at once) and we can all save on time that's called a 50% discount  :chair: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

it's such a shame Rovers decided to have a "black Sunday"  :crying: :crying: :crying:

now does anyone know the difference between Leicester under 23's and leicester under 21's ?

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1499016/citys-youngsters-away-at-doncaster-in-efl-trophy/press-release

Leicester City U23s 4 Derby County U23s 1
All the images from Holmes Park as Leicester City's Development Squad make it six wins in a row  :crying: with victory over Derby County.
https://www.lcfc.com/galleries/1505143/leicester-city-u23s-4--derby-county-u23s-1

at the moment the forecast doesn't look that good against these lot  whatever side Rovers put out

when the Leicester team is announced does anyone fancy checking how many out of the 6 wins in a row mob turn out compared to the Derby match ?.

of course this match could have a silver lining if one of their youngsters could  "strike" a loan deal here.

Lincoln got one from Everton on loan after the match this season
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 07:26:08 pm by Colemans Left Hook »

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on December 02, 2019, 07:27:14 pm by drfchound »
it's nice to see Selby finally getting into the black friday spirit (read two threads at once) and we can all save on time that's called a 50% discount  :chair: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

it's such a shame Rovers decided to have a "black Saturday"  :crying: :crying: :crying:

now does anyone know the difference between Leicester under 23's and leicester under 21's ?

https://www.lcfc.com/news/1499016/citys-youngsters-away-at-doncaster-in-efl-trophy/press-release

Leicester City U23s 4 Derby County U23s 1
All the images from Holmes Park as Leicester City's Development Squad make it six wins in a row  :crying: with victory over Derby County.
https://www.lcfc.com/galleries/1505143/leicester-city-u23s-4--derby-county-u23s-1

at the moment the forecast doesn't look that good against these lot  whatever side Rovers put out

when the Leicester team is announced does anyone fancy checking how many out of the 6 wins in a row mob turn out compared to the Derby match ?.

of course this match could have a silver lining if one of their youngsters could  "strike" a loan deal here.

Lincoln got one from Everton on loan after the match this season

To be fair though CLH, it hasn’t done them much good.
They have won just a couple of games since that Everton fixture, including one against a much weakened Rotherham team in the same competition.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 03, 2019, 11:37:24 am by 5 on Tour »
Thomas needs to be up front for me. He gives us that physical presence which we sorely lacked on Saturday. If we are getting pressed then sometimes we need an out ball. He is exactly that. His strength seems to be giving Copps more space as well as the defenders are squaring up to Thomas and leaving a pocket in front.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 03, 2019, 11:49:28 am by IDM »
I think Anderson should play if only to prevent a bit of rustiness setting in, but also to add strength and leadership to the defence..

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Can I gently make the point that MK Dons are on an absolutely appalling run of form. Not sure I have seen a team on such a bad run since us in 1997/98.

In League One this season they have lost EVERY away game they have played, with one exception. They also managed to get beat by Bolton the other week. In their last five away games they have scored one single goal. They have lost 10 of their last 11 games and drew the other. This is an absolutely dreadful team on a horrific run of form.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
Thomas needs to be up front for me. He gives us that physical presence which we sorely lacked on Saturday. If we are getting pressed then sometimes we need an out ball. He is exactly that. His strength seems to be giving Copps more space as well as the defenders are squaring up to Thomas and leaving a pocket in front.

Agree with this. Bingham tried on Sunday but ended up drifting backwards which added nothing. Thomas works well as a focal point and the three behind him can play off and around him. Please though no more confused three at the back nonsense.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 03, 2019, 03:59:27 pm by Alan Southstand »
Nailed on for a 0-0, then, cbcb!

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 03, 2019, 07:53:19 pm by Campsall rover »

Agree with this. Bingham tried on Sunday but ended up drifting backwards which added nothing. Thomas works well as a focal point and the three behind him can play off and around him. Please though no more confused three at the back nonsense.
Agree massively with all that. I don’t want to see 3 at the back possibly ever at League 1 level from us.

It’s something for the top tier imo, as the cream of footballers have the ability to adapt to that system.
I have very rarely seen it played well in the bottom 2 leagues.

Why change something that has worked really well. We have one of the best defensive records in League 1
It’s madness. My very 1st criticism of DM’s managerial reign at DRFC.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 03, 2019, 07:55:36 pm by drfchound »
......and that has added to a bit of a trend Paul.
I have noticed quite a few people having a dig at DM and his perceived lack of tactical awareness over the last few days.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on December 03, 2019, 09:14:28 pm by 5 on Tour »
Please god no more Sheaf dropping into the CB role to get the ball moving. Never ever again. Yes if you have Kante or Busquets in your team then it might very well work but it quite evidently doesn’t, and won’t, work for us.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 03, 2019, 09:19:32 pm by NickDRFC »
Please god no more Sheaf dropping into the CB role to get the ball moving. Never ever again. Yes if you have Kante or Busquets in your team then it might very well work but it quite evidently doesn’t, and won’t, work for us.

I’d rather have Sheaf at centre back than 5 foot 6 N’Golo Kante!

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 03, 2019, 09:45:07 pm by the vicar »
Not easy undefeated in the competition and 3rd in there league, we need to go very strong or we will get beat and the attendances will drop after the last few games

TinyPortal © 2005-2012