Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:46:23 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Let's talk about the Leicester City game and the MK dons games  (Read 19498 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Let's talk about the Leicester City game and the MK dons games
« Reply #120 on December 05, 2019, 01:21:10 pm by Campsall rover »
Well said Selby.

We could sign Harry Kane and Aguero to go up front and this forum would still kick off after 1 bad game.

Thomas arguably the best player on the pitch last night IMHO.
Not sure about that 5 on Tour.  To be fair to him the service was garbage.
In the 1st half Lawlor continually punted the ball high to aim for Daniels out on the touch line. A tactic which was flawed.
Thomas hardly saw the ball which was a total waste of his ability to flick headers on to runners going past him.

Amos was best player over 90 mins imo although he badly gave away the ball which led to the 3rd goal.
Halliday & Blaney were very good until they were subbed.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:24:08 pm by Campsall rover »

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on December 05, 2019, 01:34:02 pm by the vicar »
Well said Selby.

We could sign Harry Kane and Aguero to go up front and this forum would still kick off after 1 bad game.

but it's not one bad game is it

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on December 05, 2019, 01:40:57 pm by the vicar »
Well said Selby.

In the 1st half Lawlor continually punted the ball high to aim for Daniels out on the touch line. A tactic which was flawed.
Thomas hardly saw the ball which was a total waste of his ability to flick headers on to runners going past him.

Amos was best player over 90 mins imo although he badly gave away the ball which led to the 3rd goal.
Campsall people moan when we play it out from the back, but when the keeper punts the ball they get on there backs, where it should be a happy medium of both
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:47:52 pm by the vicar »

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on December 05, 2019, 01:43:21 pm by Metalmicky »
Tranmere Rovers beat Man U. U21’s last night.

I am pretty sure (although we have not played them yet) we are a better team than they are, based on number of points we have from less games played.

So why were they capable of winning with a weakened team last night and we managed to get mullered by another U21 side.

We need to take Cup matches much more seriously than apparently we are doing.

Salford beat Wolves U21s the night before as well

However, to put it in to some sort of context, Leicester are currently 4th in Premier League 2 (Group 1) and several players from last night feature in that team.  We got beat by a very good team on a 7 game winning streak and who have not lost in the EFL Trophy (against league opposition) this year.......  I'm not sure it is time to jump of the bridge just yet......

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #124 on December 05, 2019, 01:48:01 pm by Campsall rover »
Well said Selby.

Campsall people moan when we play it out from the back, but when the keeper punts the ball they get OK there backs where it should be a happy medium of both
Should have aimed for Thomas not Daniels is what i am trying to say Vicar.  Play it short when there is no press from the opposition. If we have a big centre forward use him. Don’t you agree?
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:56:12 pm by Campsall rover »

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #125 on December 05, 2019, 01:54:46 pm by the vicar »
That's what I said a happy medium if we can play it out safely then do but if its not safe then bang it to the big man and not fanny about when we are closed down

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on December 05, 2019, 01:55:34 pm by Campsall rover »
Tranmere Rovers beat Man U. U21’s last night.

I am pretty sure (although we have not played them yet) we are a better team than they are, based on number of points we have from less games played.

So why were they capable of winning with a weakened team last night and we managed to get mullered by another U21 side.

We need to take Cup matches much more seriously than apparently we are doing.

Salford beat Wolves U21s the night before as well

However, to put it in to some sort of context, Leicester are currently 4th in Premier League 2 (Group 1) and several players from last night feature in that team.  We got beat by a very good team on a 7 game winning streak and who have not lost in the EFL Trophy (against league opposition) this year.......  I'm not sure it is time to jump of the bridge just yet......
No one is saying that. What we are saying is with that team playing last night we should have been capable of winning that match.

With Sheaf, Sadlier and Copps we possibly would have done.
Greaves, May & Daniels were simply not good enough.

Anderson looked rusty and Whiteman was not the same player without Sheaf and Copps.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 01:57:39 pm by Campsall rover »

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #127 on December 05, 2019, 02:56:04 pm by RoversAlias »
Well said Selby.

No...it's two. Hardly a crisis.

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on December 05, 2019, 03:13:00 pm by steve@dcfd »
Well said Selby.

It’s not about 1 game and don’t go over board to make your point. We have not got players who ever they that score enough goals. We have to play our best eleven just to try and get a result. We have three players out four at the moment and they still don’t score enough. For what ever reason we are accepting mediocrity in front of goal as good.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on December 05, 2019, 04:13:35 pm by dickos1 »
I can’t believe people are still attempting to argue our current form is ok.
Our results since beginning of September have been very poor.
As people will point out, we’ve played well in some games. But we haven’t won, and we haven’t won in those games because we don’t have a goalscorer in the squad.
Sadlier is the closest we’ve got and I’d definitely be playing him as our number 9 until we’ve signed someone in jan.
We’re amongst the lowest scorers in the league and in my opinion that is all down to piss poor recruitment in the summer

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on December 05, 2019, 04:14:28 pm by 5 on Tour »
Well said Selby.

It’s not about 1 game and don’t go over board to make your point. We have not got players who ever they that score enough goals. We have to play our best eleven just to try and get a result. We have three players out four at the moment and they still don’t score enough. For what ever reason we are accepting mediocrity in front of goal as good.

I think some of them are indeed mediocre. Bingham is not good enough. May, despite his effort, has been pretty poor for much of his game time this season. Thomas on the other has been good in my opinion. We moan and moan and moan to the point of boredom on here about playing out from the back. Thomas is the only alternative to that and yet people are having a go at him. In terms of attack last night he was our only threat at any point. If you don’t think he’s good enough then I’m pleased for you. Just like I’m happy with my take on things.

Stop trying to convince people that just because you don’t see his strengths that they shouldn’t either. I have watched every game this season in person and if Ennis isn’t fit then Thomas is our best alternative currently.

Hirst who was up front for Leicester last night might well be worth a punt in January if we can get him.

As for making my point it worked as people reacted to it.

Metalmicky

• Forum Member
« Reply #131 on December 05, 2019, 04:22:46 pm by Metalmicky »
We’re amongst the lowest scorers in the league and in my opinion that is all down to piss poor recruitment in the summer

We're actually joint 8th highest scorers in the league and 4 teams currently above us have scored less goals!  The top two teams have scored 4 and 3 goals more than us respectively.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #132 on December 05, 2019, 04:24:27 pm by IDM »
As people will point out, we’ve played well in some games. But we haven’t won, and we haven’t won in those games because we don’t have a goalscorer in the squad.
Sadlier is the closest we’ve got and I’d definitely be playing him as our number 9 until we’ve signed someone in jan.

I don’t think anyone is saying our current form is OK, the debate is more about the form and abilities of individual players.. with the players we have, when fit, should be able to improve our form.

If the form doesn’t improve nor injuries get recovered, then of course we look to January for strengthening, over and above whatever is already lined up.

Just because some of us are not full of doom doesn’t mean we think all is perfectly ok..

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #133 on December 05, 2019, 05:11:38 pm by the vicar »
Well said Selby.

it's not even 2 it a few games we have not played well

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
EVERYONE has played badly the last few games. Don’t folk try and blame this on the strikers!

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #135 on December 05, 2019, 05:36:11 pm by RoversAlias »
Well said Selby.

it's not even 2 it a few games we have not played well

We haven't been dreadful in more than the last two games. Everyone was happy with the comfortable nature of our second half against Wimbledon, which was our last home game. We won that one 2-0. Narrowly beaten by the league leaders with 10 men in the only other game since then. In fact, it's only 5 competitive matches since we won 7-1 away from home in the league yet everyone seems to have forgotten that.

I get that the last couple of games haven't been good at all, and that we are in rubbish form. And we clearly don't have a good enough strike force, which we all knew from the start of the season.

But it is the same old story on this forum every single time we do not win a game (not meaning you specifically here Vicar, far from it) where 500 flaws in the team, club, manager etc. are trotted out and it is bemoaned how terrible we must be. When we aren't. It is getting very, very tiresome.

This team is a work-in-progress. New manager, lots of new players. Very inexperienced side. Quite a few injuries to contend with. It is the first stage of what we all hope is a long-term project after some unexpected upheaval two summers running. Spells like this are going to happen, we have to understand that as a fanbase and stop having these incessant, pointless merry-go-round threads every single time we lose or play badly, or are on a bit of a tough run.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #136 on December 05, 2019, 06:23:26 pm by scawsby steve »
Just over 1300 spectators proves what most supporters think of this tinpot cup. Utterly pointless apart from giving fringe players and youngsters a chance.

As regards making money, let's get back into the Championship and make some REAL money.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #137 on December 05, 2019, 06:50:49 pm by Lesonthewest »

Said it before & will again, this squad is woefully short of what's needed to make a real challenge on the top six, dress it up as much as we want but we need at least 3 players that can walk straight into the first 11 come January, & lose some of the dead wood. If we don't I for one will continue to pick & choose my games & support from home. Just my opinion of course but we really do need to strengthen given we have hardly touched the budget, or have we?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on December 05, 2019, 07:12:53 pm by selby »
  Steve, the last two times we have gone into the championship, when we have been relegated it has resulted in the experiment the first time and over paying players and a fire sale and rebuild the second.
   I want success for the club as much as anyone, but the same has happened to Rotherham, and could well happen to Barnsley, and the average loss last season for every team in the Championship was £15 million, obviously some clubs far in excess of that figure one reported to be £68 million.
   I would suggest that both figures would see us go under, so hardly riches, also the average wage of a championship player is now over £20k a week according to a report on the championship on talk radio I listened to only a few days ago.
   That competition may be viewed by yourself as tin pot, probably the FA cup and league cup as well, but teams who we play against every week take them seriously as an income stream, while we as a team deemed to be one of the better in the lower divisions have been dumped out of all three before Christmas, have probably lost money on the games we have played, and now face at least one blank weekend as our opponents play for more money in the next round in an already disrupted fixture season.
   Seeing as just a few weeks ago According to the Yorkshire Post we paid a tax bill just before a hearing threat by HRMC I will wish you the best of luck with that theory.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on December 05, 2019, 07:18:55 pm by selby »
  By the way Steve, the bigger Championship teams met this week to again start a movement to join the Premiership teams and form Premiership 2 or and  change the voting system of the FL which currently gives all three divisions 3 votes each and they see to their disadvantage, and want a bigger share of the money distributed by the FL.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on December 05, 2019, 07:21:42 pm by scawsby steve »
  Steve, the last two times we have gone into the championship, when we have been relegated it has resulted in the experiment the first time and over paying players and a fire sale and rebuild the second.
   I want success for the club as much as anyone, but the same has happened to Rotherham, and could well happen to Barnsley, and the average loss last season for every team in the Championship was £15 million, obviously some clubs far in excess of that figure one reported to be £68 million.
   I would suggest that both figures would see us go under, so hardly riches, also the average wage of a championship player is now over £20k a week according to a report on the championship on talk radio I listened to only a few days ago.
   That competition may be viewed by yourself as tin pot, probably the FA cup and league cup as well, but teams who we play against every week take them seriously as an income stream, while we as a team deemed to be one of the better in the lower divisions have been dumped out of all three before Christmas, have probably lost money on the games we have played, and now face at least one blank weekend as our opponents play for more money in the next round in an already disrupted fixture season.
   Seeing as just a few weeks ago According to the Yorkshire Post we paid a tax bill just before a hearing threat by HRMC I will wish you the best of luck with that theory.

So you don't want us in the Championship Brian?

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on December 05, 2019, 07:25:27 pm by scawsby steve »
  By the way Steve, the bigger Championship teams met this week to again start a movement to join the Premiership teams and form Premiership 2 or and  change the voting system of the FL which currently gives all three divisions 3 votes each and they see to their disadvantage, and want a bigger share of the money distributed by the FL.

Wouldn't that be a better thing, in terms of us surviving in that league?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #142 on December 05, 2019, 07:46:05 pm by selby »
  Of course I want to go into the Championship, but it would not be the money tree you are saying, probably the reverse.
  And are you suggesting that our current side is anywhere near being good enough to survive (sorry for a moment I forgot you haven't seen us play lately), are we even as good as the Barnsley and Luton sides that went up last season?
   I think we have a good manager, a  good board of directors who I trust, need to get rid if we can of some dead wood in January, sign at least three good players in certain positions in the January window just to sustain a push for a playoff place, but are at the start of a good period for the club, but will take longer to realise than this season.
   If we get promotion or even into the play offs again I will deem it to be before we could realistically expect with the hand the manager was dealt at the start of the season, and the lack of class in the fringe players who make up the numbers at present.
   With your last post Steve, can I take it that you would vote for the same motion and cast others aside if we were a Championship side, If so and others are of the same mind I hope we do go up for the clubs sake, but would want nothing to do with it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 07:51:36 pm by selby »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #143 on December 05, 2019, 08:10:36 pm by scawsby steve »
Brian, I've never understood the philosophy of consolidating for a season, and then going for it the season after. All it means is that you lose your best players, and many fair weather supporters, and then you're back to square one. What will be better at the start of next season?

We seriously need to go for it this season, and the board know it.

eastender

• VSC Member
« Reply #144 on December 05, 2019, 08:30:07 pm by eastender »
Leicester U21 have drawn Tranmere away in R3.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #145 on December 05, 2019, 08:45:31 pm by selby »
  I agree they do, and I am sure they are going for it, but I have seen every game this and last season and quite a few before those, and I think that we have just got the numbers of about 13 players that have the class at a push who are capable of maintaining a push for the top six, and that would be expecting all those players to stay fit and also keep form for the rest of the season which is unreasonable to expect.
 Only in central defence can we cover more than one injury adequately for more than the odd match, which you can get away with a youngster, who raise their normal game, so if we do not get some players in, and bear in mind at some stage we are going to have to make up games not yet played, we have not in my mind the numbers to make a concerted effort over the rest of the season.
  Also that is discounting other teams coming in for our better players, which again is a possibility beyond our control, as players heads are easily turned by agents and other clubs promising riches we cannot match, and can be life changing for the player and his family  so cannot blame them for wanting to go.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 10:06:46 pm by selby »

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on December 06, 2019, 08:09:55 am by 5 on Tour »
People are desperate for strikers and we do need a goal scorer but we need a back up right back just as importantly. Every time I see Halliday in a challenge and limp out of it I’m worried. Daniels goes back next month so he can’t cover it - with his pace I’m not sure he could anyway. So if Halliday goes down injured we have 0 options at RB. Matty can cover it but we don’t know when he’s back yet and he isn’t a RB anyway. Correct me if I’m wrong but the only player in our squad outside of Halliday, and Matty covering, to play at RB for us is May. That was in the ridiculous last 35 mins of the 2nd leg last season.

Pancho Regan

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on December 06, 2019, 08:37:33 am by Pancho Regan »
The mood is low amongst most posters on here and that is understandable.

I'm normally one of the positive ones but I must admit I'm a bit concerned because the limitations of our squad have been exposed these last few games.

That is no great surprise. It was generally recognised that our recruitment in pre-season fell short of what was required, and a few injuries to key players has necessitated in DM bringing in a couple of non-contracted strikers to try and plug the gaps.

It is my hope that we pick up some points to keep us in touch with the top teams until DM can strengthen in January. I've felt that for a long time, even before the Sterling & Ennis injuries.
It seemed we were in for a long wait but we're already in December so let's hope the club has a firm plan for incoming players of the right calibre as soon as the window re-opens.

We need to stop the rot with a good win tomorrow to put a smile back on everyone's faces and lift the confidence of the players.

Come on you reds!

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on December 06, 2019, 11:33:49 am by selby »
  My eleven starters I would like to see tomorrow is
  Dieng
  Halliday
  Wright
  John
  James
  Sheaf
  Whiteman
  Coppinger
  Taylor
  Thomas
  Sadlier
  The subs would be from the normal mix but Blaney,Greaves, and Amos did Ok on Wednesday Lawlor would be the keeper Bingham or May.

Donnywolf

• VSC Member
« Reply #149 on December 06, 2019, 11:37:37 am by Donnywolf »
Works for me 2 0 👍☺

TinyPortal © 2005-2012