Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:38:22 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans  (Read 1915 times)

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
"Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans''

"At the end of which Wednesday night’s Merseyside derby will see British football fans watching the US-owned Premier League leaders on a US-based internet service – with the chance to read about it all on a US-owned subscription website the next day''

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/dec/02/amazon-prime-premier-league-football-arrival-tv-hefty-price

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

IDM

• VSC Member
Re: Amazon’s Premier League arrival comes with a hefty price tag for fans
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2019, 08:07:58 am by IDM »
I read that article and was struggling to see the point.  Football already has massive tv investment (rightly or wrongly - that’s another debate) but Prime getting in on the act doesn’t make that much difference IMHO.

Those who pay for sky sports and BT sport may be a bit miffed if the have to pay for Prime as well, but how many of us already have Prime for other reasons and watch tv such as Grand Tour etc via their stream.

This is a bonus for me and many in my situation .

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Yes, not a very well written piece which I struggled to find any additional controversy to that we already know.

We know the Premier League with prostitute the product to satisfy the greed for short term gain. The chances are something will go pop sooner or later and maybe, just maybe it might serve as a wake up call.

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 03, 2019, 09:01:22 am by deebee »
You can watch these games for FREE see my earlier post below. Watch Prem games for free.

SydneyRover

• VSC Member
I thought this Para was an interesting take?

"With the entry of a third major provider it remains a late-stage capitalism kind of choice. No matter how glossy and fun the Amazon product, how high the players’ salaries, English football fans are basically still being sold the same things they already owned in the first place''

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 03, 2019, 10:10:09 am by IDM »
That’s actually b*llocks.. if the PL has sold the nights to that 20 game block to amazon then those games wouldn’t have been on sky or BT anyway, unless those providers had bid for those games in the first place.

So whilst fans would need to pay more to see all the games, they didn’t already “own” this set.

Plus, like I said to my work colleague, the best way to see the football is to get off your arse and go to the match..

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 03, 2019, 10:28:08 am by idler »
I can get it for free via my box but rarely watch any matches on Sky.
There is far too nmuch football on to now in my opinion.

Bristol Red Rover

• Forum Member
With wall to wall footy available on the telly or via the numerous free "illegal" sites, we can watch the "top quality" games as well as numerous interesting matches from a variety of leagues around the world. Niche coverage is only going to increase, as well as become more costly for the "top games".

This is all media driven, not fan driven. So where is this going to go? Getting good value comes from going to games, as said, but as far as the media is concerned it's cut throat competitive and entertainment, grabbing bums on settees, is paramount.

We will begin to see the game change. VAR is one aspect, many more small changes that suit media will come in. And then there is the elephant in the room of getting in advertising. Ultimately that will come through breaks in games - time outs, 5 min breaks mid half, even shorter games where it will be possible to cram in say 3 games into 2 hours - equivalent to the cricket T20. Many thought T20 would be a circus and not catch on.

roversdude

• VSC Member
Wednesday night there’s a potentially good game at KMS

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
You can watch these games for FREE see my earlier post below. Watch Prem games for free.

It just doesn't float my boat. I have no interest in watching PL live matches. I had free BT sport and hardly used it. I don't mind watching highlights via BBC or YouTube  but there's plenty of other things I'd rather do.

roversdude

• VSC Member
Must be about a 2 minute delay on mine got a notification that Citeh were one up it was like a premonition

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 03, 2019, 10:46:33 pm by Filo »
Signed up for the free 30 day trial, may as well get some free football throughout December

TinyPortal © 2005-2012