Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:23:35 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: 1990-91 Season  (Read 2303 times)

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
1990-91 Season
« on December 03, 2019, 10:19:09 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
Found a great compilation of Rovers games, photos and statistics on You Tube from the 1990-91 season! We had a great team that season with Duggie, Kev Noteman, Johnny Muir, Vince Brockie, Mark Rankine, Eddie Gormley and Bruno Jones amongst others and Billy Bremmner returning as Manager. We were top of the league for part of the season and it was only when we were absolutely hammered by injuries that we began to slip down the table. Great memories!!

I can’t post a link, but JustAPubTeam who created and uploaded the video deserves a salute!

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

Drover

• Forum Member
Re: 1990-91 Season
« Reply #1 on December 03, 2019, 10:58:12 pm by Drover »
You forgot Rufus Brevett,IMO It was him leaving that we slipped down the league.Up until that point,I thought it was going to be our first season we would finish in the play-offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu_jS_uXGvc

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on December 03, 2019, 11:01:14 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
After the back end of 89/90, it was obvious something very special was coming together. We got beat 4-1 at Scunny on the last day of that season but the away fans chanted for the Rovers players to come out for a lap of honour.

I had a tenner each way on us for the title for the 90/91 season at 50/1. And the way we started was breathtaking.

Physical, fast, direct, skillful, overwhelming. We won the first 5 league games on the bounce. And we didn't just win them we steamrollered the opponents. We scored 12 and conceded 3 in those five games.

It dropped off after that, as it had to. David Jones got a bar stool round his neck Jonny Muir had his ankle broken. And that ripped the heart out of the side. But we were still top of the league at the end of Jan, before collapsing as Ranks and Rufus were sold off to pay debts.

Still one of my favourite seasons. When that side clicked, it was irresistible. The only ones to match that dominance was Penney's 03/04 side and Bremner's 83/84 side. With similar blends of pace, power and skill.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 03, 2019, 11:11:57 pm by Herbert Anchovy »
You forgot Rufus Brevett,IMO It was him leaving that we slipped down the league.Up until that point,I thought it was going to be our first season we would finish in the play-offs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu_jS_uXGvc

Quite right. Can’t believe I forgot him. As I recall it was him and Rankine being sold that prompted Bremner to walk wasn’t it?

PDS

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 04, 2019, 09:20:28 am by PDS »
Brings back some memories. Fantastic start to the season with a run that ended in sad circumstances. 5 wins on the bounce followed by a game against York City. Their first game since David Longhurst had died on the pitch. A reminder that it is after all only a game

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 04, 2019, 10:06:17 am by Chris Black come back »
After the back end of 89/90, it was obvious something very special was coming together. We got beat 4-1 at Scunny on the last day of that season but the away fans chanted for the Rovers players to come out for a lap of honour.

I had a tenner each way on us for the title for the 90/91 season at 50/1. And the way we started was breathtaking.

Physical, fast, direct, skillful, overwhelming. We won the first 5 league games on the bounce. And we didn't just win them we steamrollered the opponents. We scored 12 and conceded 3 in those five games.

It dropped off after that, as it had to. David Jones got a bar stool round his neck Jonny Muir had his ankle broken. And that ripped the heart out of the side. But we were still top of the league at the end of Jan, before collapsing as Ranks and Rufus were sold off to pay debts.

Still one of my favourite seasons. When that side clicked, it was irresistible. The only ones to match that dominance was Penney's 03/04 side and Bremner's 83/84 side. With similar blends of pace, power and skill.

Chung side of 1994/95 must be up there. An amazing side put together in no time. Tore through the league in the first half of the season before sales and attrition on small squad set in. One of my favourite seasons with promotion disappointment tempered by that crushing win at Glandford Park.

Prez

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 04, 2019, 04:44:27 pm by Prez »
Loved that season 90-91. Sure that was the one where Chrichton saved 3 pens at Rochdale. Sadly the best players were sold as BST said, something which was a regular occurrence for Rovers through the 80s and 90s

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 04, 2019, 05:03:13 pm by Campsall rover »
Loved that season 90-91. Sure that was the one where Chrichton saved 3 pens at Rochdale. Sadly the best players were sold as BST said, something which was a regular occurrence for Rovers through the 80s and 90s
One thing i have discussed with a fellow Rovers supporter on more than one occasion. I know it might sound stupid considering the devastation Richardson imposed on the club in 1997/98 is that it was actually the best thing that ever happened to the club.

We literally rose from the ashes thanks to John Ryan and now have a club we can all be very proud to support in a modern stadium with top class facilities.

Who knows we might just have been a struggling league 2 team for the last 20 years playing in ram shackle of a stadium.
None of the success we have had in the last 17 years may have happened without Richardson trying to destroy our club.

No Stoke, no Cardiff, no Wembley & no Brentford.

I am not thanking Richardson for what he did but it didn’t half turn out well.

Funny old world isn’t it.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2019, 05:09:25 pm by Campsall rover »

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 04, 2019, 05:06:57 pm by scawsby steve »
Brings back some memories. Fantastic start to the season with a run that ended in sad circumstances. 5 wins on the bounce followed by a game against York City. Their first game since David Longhurst had died on the pitch. A reminder that it is after all only a game

I remember that game well. York City were impressed with the donations from Rovers fans for the David Longhurst fund.

In the game itself, City played us off the park in the second half for a 3-1 win. They had a midfielder called Tony Canham who ran everything, and scored the 3rd goal.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 04, 2019, 05:13:39 pm by Campsall rover »

I remember that game well. York City were impressed with the donations from Rovers fans for the David Longhurst fund.

In the game itself, City played us off the park in the second half for a 3-1 win. They had a midfielder called Tony Canham who ran everything, and scored the 3rd goal.
Left winger from my memory SS  remember the game. Loved going to York. Always a great following from us and a brilliant atmosphere in what is a tight ground.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 04, 2019, 06:54:16 pm by sheffield exile1 »
One thing i have discussed with a fellow Rovers supporter on more than one occasion. I know it might sound stupid considering the devastation Richardson imposed on the club in 1997/98 is that it was actually the best thing that ever happened to the club.

We literally rose from the ashes thanks to John Ryan and now have a club we can all be very proud to support in a modern stadium with top class facilities.

Who knows we might just have been a struggling league 2 team for the last 20 years playing in ram shackle of a stadium.
None of the success we have had in the last 17 years may have happened without Richardson trying to destroy our club.

No Stoke, no Cardiff, no Wembley & no Brentford.

I am not thanking Richardson for what he did but it didn’t half turn out well.

Funny old world isn’t it.  ;)

I would love to see them make a film about that era similar to the damned united but as we are little old Rovers isn't gonna happen is it? Eeeh, Tom Cruise as John Ryan, Daniel Radcliffe as a young Duggie any trendy rapper (unfortunately not my genre so can't supply a name) as Bruno...can just see it now...

Draytonian III

• VSC Member
« Reply #11 on December 04, 2019, 07:05:29 pm by Draytonian III »
York used to be a top away trip, I remember going one year it might have been the match after David Longhurst had passed away, but the supporters club were playing against their York counterparts on the Racecourse ,so we were there for before 11, (Mayfield Tours ).One of the mates who I used to travel with knew a lad who lived close to the racecourse so it was a quick call at his for a cup of then onto a few pubs, the only one I can remember by name was the last one ,The Bootham were I played my first ever game of bar billiards. I hope to make another visit before they move grounds which is supposed to happening this  season

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 05, 2019, 06:00:36 am by DRNaith »
A smidge before I was taken to my first game, but still very interesting

Edit: just looked into it, and my smidge is about four years!
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 06:17:21 am by DRNaith »

Nudga

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 05, 2019, 07:50:20 am by Nudga »
The 90/91 season was the one that cemented my love for The Rovers.
Such a shame that team was, broken up through injuries and player sales, that team should have gone down in Rovers honours list instead of just folklore.

It had everything, pace, power, skill, nastiness and a proper team ethic.

Sammy Chungs team of 93 ish should have also won the league, that team was better than the 90/91 team.

Lesonthewest

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 05, 2019, 07:02:02 pm by Lesonthewest »

I remember that blistering start Billy, playing with wing backs we looked unbeatable, think we played York away in the 6th game & I'm sure one of the centre halves, (really tall guy) got injured prior & it seemed to upset the balance, we lost & struggled for a while & obviously the said strikers problems, & player sales spoilt a really promising season.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012