Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:16:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Tactics  (Read 8521 times)

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
Re: Tactics
« Reply #60 on December 02, 2019, 11:43:12 pm by Campsall rover »
Lucky?
Or good recruitment
Either.

So did we get lucky with Marquis as let’s face it he hadn’t pulled up any trees at his previous clubs.
Was that good recruitment or did we get lucky? Probably a bit of both.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #61 on December 02, 2019, 11:46:20 pm by RoversAlias »
Sounds to me as though yesterday was just a bad day. Different tactics which didn't work and too many bad performers. It happens. Comments about us not being good enough "week in, week out" and "where are we going" are knee-jerk and unnecessary. Why do we always have this after one defeat?

We aren't in great form but we're still a good side. Injuries haven't helped of late, and we obviously need a proper striker. But people don't half get carried away.

For the record, I wasn't at the game yesterday nor did I watch or follow it - I was at the mercy of paramedics this time yesterday so didn't even know the score until about 7pm.

We have a good chance to put recent woes right next Saturday, at home to a team who are struggling. I hope the fans come out for it as we haven't had much chance to go watch Rovers lately.

By God Alias, that sounds scary. Are you OK now mate?

I am on the mend now, thanks Steve. Not a fun few days by any means but I hope to be fighting fit again by the time the MK Dons game rolls around!

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #62 on December 03, 2019, 12:40:48 am by dickos1 »
That’s great recruitment, signing a player that hasn’t pulled up any trees yet but knowing they’re going to be very good for you.
Like a whiteman, an Anderson, a marquis, a wilks, a Kane.
Very good recruitment

The standard of recruitment has dropped slightly now, hopefully the new guy will help improve this

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #63 on December 03, 2019, 05:43:39 am by Alan Southstand »
Slightly?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #64 on December 03, 2019, 11:41:27 am by Campsall rover »
That’s great recruitment, signing a player that hasn’t pulled up any trees yet but knowing they’re going to be very good for you.
Very good recruitment

The standard of recruitment has dropped slightly now, hopefully the new guy will help improve this
So there was a guarantee that Marquis was going to be a success. No there is never a guarantee. 
There is always an element of good fortune or luck as well.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #65 on December 03, 2019, 12:33:52 pm by Chris Black come back »
Very good recruitment

Some dross also signed by previous managers. Not all one way traffic unearthing diamonds right left and centre.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #66 on December 03, 2019, 12:42:35 pm by dickos1 »
Very good recruitment

Some dross also signed by previous managers. Not all one way traffic unearthing diamonds right left and centre.

I didn’t say there wasn’t
Every manager on the planet has signed some dross

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #67 on December 03, 2019, 12:43:53 pm by dickos1 »
Very good recruitment

So there was a guarantee that Marquis was going to be a success. No there is never a guarantee. 

Obviously
But there’s a reason why we opted for marquis rather than all the other players available who hadn’t pulled up any trees

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #68 on December 03, 2019, 01:05:57 pm by Campsall rover »
Very good recruitment

Obviously
But there’s a reason why we opted for marquis rather than all the other players available who hadn’t pulled up any trees
Here we go get the last word in

End of conversation. Pointless trying to have a rational discussion with you.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 07:39:39 pm by Campsall rover »

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #69 on December 03, 2019, 04:04:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
Marquis was the best signing we’ve made for quite some time and we are missing him and his goals, severely so far this season. But then, everyone knows that, don’t they?

It’s down to DM now, with the Club’s financial support, to get someone in, preferably on January 1st, that is going to have a similar or better impact.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #70 on December 03, 2019, 04:13:34 pm by scawsby steve »
Very good recruitment

Obviously
Here we go det the last word in

Sorry Campsall, but I have to agree with Dickos on this one. Fergie had obviously spotted two very promising loan spells at Gillingham and Northampton, during which Marquis scored quite a few goals. I think it was an excellent piece of recruitment. I just hope our new bloke can spot talent like that.

However, you're right that there's a certain amount of luck involved, as it doesn't always work out. Just look at Will Grigg at Sunderland.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #71 on December 03, 2019, 07:18:11 pm by Campsall rover »
Very good recruitment

Obviously
Here we go det the last word in

Sorry Campsall, but I have to agree with Dickos on this one. Fergie had obviously spotted two very promising loan spells at Gillingham and Northampton, during which Marquis scored quite a few goals. I think it was an excellent piece of recruitment. I just hope our new bloke can spot talent like that.

However, you're right that there's a certain amount of luck involved, as it doesn't always work out. Just look at Will Grigg at Sunderland.
Steve if you read my original posts on this thread i agreed with dickos that it was good recruitment and i added that some luck was involved also. 
Any successful recruitment has an element of luck attached to it as there is never a guarantee is there.
Dickos is simply determined to argue black is blue and red is orange and keep arguing about it until the cows come home.

Carl Alford is the best example of a brilliant signing based on his goal scoring record at the same level Rovers were playing in that time.
He turned out to be total dross.
Therefore even if you sign the best player in your league for that position their is no guarantee and some luck is involved.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2019, 08:27:56 pm by Campsall rover »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #72 on December 05, 2019, 10:47:17 am by ravenrover »
Regarding Marquis surely his record at Portsmouth so far proves what a good signing he turned out to be for us and the way we played in those 3 years

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #73 on December 05, 2019, 11:15:56 am by Campsall rover »
Regarding Marquis surely his record at Portsmouth so far proves what a good signing he turned out to be for us and the way we played in those 3 years
Of course he was a good signing. He was a brilliant one. If we had him this season i think we would probably be sitting pretty on around 30 points with 3 games in hand. 
He would have been worth an extra 7 points to us at least imo. We will never know of course.
Just my opinion.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012