Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:25:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Striker Stats  (Read 3086 times)

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
Striker Stats
« on December 05, 2019, 11:14:48 am by Move DRFC »
I'm not much of a statto but I'd be interested to see what our record is for wins %, goals, XG etc for Sadlier playing number 9 / Ennis playing number 9 / Thomas or Bingham playing number 9. Could someone fid the figures?

If Ennis is still out I'd have Sadlier back up top on Saturday with May and Taylor either side - from what I remember a lot of our good performances this season came from that front 3.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

selby

• VSC Member
Re: Striker Stats
« Reply #1 on December 05, 2019, 11:59:35 am by selby »
  What are  May's stats Move?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 05, 2019, 12:34:56 pm by Campsall rover »
  What are  May's stats Move?
We all know the answer to that one Brian. Just some on here still won’t have a bad word said about him.
He gives 100% effort but very little or no end product to his play at all. Not a goal scorer at this level.

National league North/South, possibly National League at very best. That is as far as scoring goals is concerned imo.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on December 05, 2019, 01:20:00 pm by NickDRFC »
Has May even played up front this season?

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 05, 2019, 01:35:11 pm by Campsall rover »
Has May even played up front this season?
No he hasn’t but does that mean he is not expected to score?
Are you suggesting only the Centre forward/Striker should be scoring?
He plays in a front 3 or 4 when he plays & we need goals from all of them.

Taylor doesn’t score enough goals also, not by a long way, but he goes past people and creates chances for others, so at least there is an end product to his game.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on December 05, 2019, 01:41:38 pm by NickDRFC »
I’m not suggesting that at all, but when the thread is about specific players stats playing at number 9 then what has May got to do with it?

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on December 05, 2019, 02:23:35 pm by dickos1 »
Exactly
May was our best players the first couple of months of the season when we were playing well.

Move DRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on December 05, 2019, 02:34:54 pm by Move DRFC »
Didn't include May as he's not played the number 9 role all season.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 05, 2019, 02:57:25 pm by RoversAlias »
Good question posed there Move, would be interesting to see the results. Bringing May into it was pointless by Selby since he hasn't played as a #9 once all season. But any chance to get a dig in at the lad

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on December 05, 2019, 07:55:34 pm by selby »
  RA, would you buy or sign him as a midfielder?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on December 05, 2019, 08:49:02 pm by selby »
RA, would there be a place for him in the Leicester City u21s side in any position? that is if you went to the game and can give an opinion.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 05, 2019, 11:07:58 pm by RoversAlias »
  RA, would you buy or sign him as a midfielder?

As a League One side, for the small fee I expect it would cost, I would sign him happily as an option for the "attacking 3" behind the striker yes. I think he has proven worthwhile in that role this season albeit he hasn't shown enough to be ahead of Sadlier or Taylor there. If he added that end product we talk about so much he'd be in the starting XI, definitely.

One thing that I think he's one of our best players at is implementing the press, which is an important aspect of the game and can make a big difference.

He clearly isn't a #9, lone centre forward though and that is what this thread was supposed to be about. We have tried four different players in that position under Darren Moore with mixed results.

I wasn't at the Leicester game but I am hoping to be well enough to make it at the weekend.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on December 06, 2019, 08:49:48 am by Bentley Bullet »
Would there be a place for any of our side in that Leicester under 21 team?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on December 06, 2019, 09:17:40 am by selby »
  RA, I hope you recover your health quickly mate, and I admire your loyalty, and we all know that BB can pick em.
  Unfortunately and with the experience of just watching him play the last game and probably a third at Gillingham, two games where May ran his socks off, tried his heart out, but never got near then ball in either game, and certainly did not play a positive ball, or threaten in the oppositions penalty area at all, and was completely overshadowed by more skilful, quicker, more rounded, younger players in the Leicester game, disagree with you.
  He is not good enough as a striker, needs a touch in close positions before having a strike at goal, and in midfield is not composed on the ball, or a great passer with vision. Better players will be released from Academy 1 sides who are younger and stronger.
   To answer you BB, and I don't know if you attended Wednesday, you know that quite a few who played would get into their side, mostly the regular first team players that played on the night, the problem and my personnel gripe is that we did have the players at the club to win that game, but chose not to play them and again fail, and give the impression that as a club one we are not bothered about doing well in cup football, and two are willing to take for mugs the paying supporters who turn up hoping that we do well, a situation that has alienated some regular supporters, even FA cup attendances being a couple of thousand down on league fixtures, the club are reaping what  it has sown over quite a few years, Even I am sick of turning up to cup games, seeing the team that has been picked at places like Grimsby and Notts County and thinking F*** me not again. 

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 06, 2019, 10:20:11 am by Bentley Bullet »
I don't think we're the only team to make changes in cup games. If we played the preferred first 11 for every game they would risk more injuries and fatigue, and also the fringe players would miss out on vital competitive games that are essential for experience and match fitness.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 06, 2019, 11:48:48 am by Campsall rover »
Would there be a place for any of our side in that Leicester under 21 team?
Yes BB definitely if they were U21 but only Blaney and Greaves would have been eligible.
So not relevant really.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 06, 2019, 11:52:27 am by Bentley Bullet »
So why did Selby mention it?

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on December 06, 2019, 12:24:31 pm by selby »
  BB, one or two at most, being overpowered and outplayed do their confidence no good at all, show their inadequacies and how far behind players at other clubs of a similar age they are, which straight away makes our supporters that bother to turn up have the wrong impression of them, and in many cases over the last few years, young players who have shown initial promise, have slipped down the game into obscurity, when with better guidance one or two may have pushed through.
  For all your wanting to protect players, what we have done in cup football by playing young players has not been a success, the money lost in prize and gate money is much more likely to have allowed us to have a bigger stronger first team squad which would allow us to field stronger sides while rotating the players in that squad than what we currently have.
  It is simple BB, if you have three or four players who you know are good division 1 players pushing the eleven that play regularly you can rest players in those competitions like Portsmouth do. The fact is one or two injuries and we are much weaker.

selby

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on December 06, 2019, 12:31:05 pm by selby »
  BB, I was comparing the perceived ability of our 26 year old to that of Leicesters U21s.  ignore the age factor, would he get into that side as a striker or whatever type of player you think he is now. My answer would be no having seen them play.

Bentley Bullet

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 06, 2019, 05:28:50 pm by Bentley Bullet »
But why single May out when you said only one or two would get in the Leicester U21 team, irrespective of age?

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 06, 2019, 07:20:24 pm by NickDRFC »
  RA, I hope you recover your health quickly mate, and I admire your loyalty, and we all know that BB can pick em.
  Unfortunately and with the experience of just watching him play the last game and probably a third at Gillingham, two games where May ran his socks off, tried his heart out, but never got near then ball in either game, and certainly did not play a positive ball, or threaten in the oppositions penalty area at all, and was completely overshadowed by more skilful, quicker, more rounded, younger players in the Leicester game, disagree with you.
  He is not good enough as a striker, needs a touch in close positions before having a strike at goal, and in midfield is not composed on the ball, or a great passer with vision. Better players will be released from Academy 1 sides who are younger and stronger.
   To answer you BB, and I don't know if you attended Wednesday, you know that quite a few who played would get into their side, mostly the regular first team players that played on the night, the problem and my personnel gripe is that we did have the players at the club to win that game, but chose not to play them and again fail, and give the impression that as a club one we are not bothered about doing well in cup football, and two are willing to take for mugs the paying supporters who turn up hoping that we do well, a situation that has alienated some regular supporters, even FA cup attendances being a couple of thousand down on league fixtures, the club are reaping what  it has sown over quite a few years, Even I am sick of turning up to cup games, seeing the team that has been picked at places like Grimsby and Notts County and thinking F*** me not again. 

If he didn’t get near the ball then I’m not surprised that he couldn’t threaten the opposition. Pretty hard to do both.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on December 06, 2019, 09:48:22 pm by Chris Black come back »
Alfie May even in a team on song is not a striker. He should not be expected to play up front on his own.

Thomas is the only credible option to start up front.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 08, 2019, 04:42:32 pm by NickDRFC »
Here you go Move DRFC, had a bit of time this afternoon so I looked into it. It’s based on games started except for the Rotherham league game, which I’ve just attributed to Ennis given he cane on at half time and both goals were scored after he appeared. I’ve counted league, league cup and FA cup games but not the football league trophy (partly because i don’t really consider it a first team trophy and we made numerous changes for it, partly because BBC Sport doesn’t have the line ups!)

- As you’d probably expect, we have been at our most effective when Ennis is in the team, with 5 wins from 9 (56% win ratio). We’ve scored 12 goals in those games at a rate of 1.33 per game. Ennis himself has scored only once.

- The team scores more goals with Thomas leading the line - 12 goals in 5 games meaning an average of 2.4. This does include Southend, though, when you could argue that we’d have scored a hatful with anyone up top - excluding that its 5 in 4 games (1.2 goals/game). Our win ratio isn’t as good with Thomas, either, with 2 from 5 - 40%

- Sadlier has played up front 3 times without any real joy for the team. We’ve drawn twice and lost once, and averaged only a goal a game. Sadlier himself is the most personally successful, though, with 2 goals in those 3 games (Thomas only has 2 goals in total, Ennis and Bingham 1 each)

- Bingham has started 3 games, with yesterday’s draw the first time we have scored and got a point with him starting. 0.33 goals and points per game

Don’t think it really tells us much we don’t know - we were more effective either Ennis playing up front and the team suffers when Sadlier is played there. The team’s record with Thomas up top is reasonable (although inflated by the Southend outlier) and we’ve performed the worst with Bingham up front.

Of course there are a huge number of other factors - strength of opposition, availability of other players etc - but certainly interesting to have a look at.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 08, 2019, 05:07:33 pm by NewDonny »
Here you go Move DRFC, had a bit of time this afternoon so I looked into it. It’s based on games started except for the Rotherham league game, which I’ve just attributed to Ennis given he cane on at half time and both goals were scored after he appeared. I’ve counted league, league cup and FA cup games but not the football league trophy (partly because i don’t really consider it a first team trophy and we made numerous changes for it, partly because BBC Sport doesn’t have the line ups!)

- As you’d probably expect, we have been at our most effective when Ennis is in the team, with 5 wins from 9 (56% win ratio). We’ve scored 12 goals in those games at a rate of 1.33 per game. Ennis himself has scored only once.

- The team scores more goals with Thomas leading the line - 12 goals in 5 games meaning an average of 2.4. This does include Southend, though, when you could argue that we’d have scored a hatful with anyone up top - excluding that its 5 in 4 games (1.2 goals/game). Our win ratio isn’t as good with Thomas, either, with 2 from 5 - 40%

- Sadlier has played up front 3 times without any real joy for the team. We’ve drawn twice and lost once, and averaged only a goal a game. Sadlier himself is the most personally successful, though, with 2 goals in those 3 games (Thomas only has 2 goals in total, Ennis and Bingham 1 each)

- Bingham has started 3 games, with yesterday’s draw the first time we have scored and got a point with him starting. 0.33 goals and points per game

Don’t think it really tells us much we don’t know - we were more effective either Ennis playing up front and the team suffers when Sadlier is played there. The team’s record with Thomas up top is reasonable (although inflated by the Southend outlier) and we’ve performed the worst with Bingham up front.

Of course there are a huge number of other factors - strength of opposition, availability of other players etc - but certainly interesting to have a look at.

Thanks NickDRFC, although those stats are not entirely accurate. Thomas came off in the 74th minute of the Southend game and Sadlier went up top to CF for the remainder of the game and scored his goal in the 82nd minute. We scored 3 gaols whilst he was off the pitch. That aside I agree with you.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #24 on December 08, 2019, 05:13:47 pm by NickDRFC »
Far too complicated to try and work out exactly what transpired whilst players were on the pitch, NewDonny. I had a bit of time spare, not a fortnight!

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 08, 2019, 05:16:44 pm by NewDonny »
Far too complicated to try and work out exactly what transpired whilst players were on the pitch, NewDonny. I had a bit of time spare, not a fortnight!

Sorry lol!

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 08, 2019, 05:22:41 pm by DonnyOsmond »
Just from playing ST. Goals per 90, league only.

Sadlier gp90 - 0.8
xGp90 - 0.33

Ennis - 0.13
xG - 0.37

Bingham - 0
xG - 0.15

Thomas - 0.67
xG - 0.38

Not enough games to judge for some like Bingham and just looking at goals doesn't show what else they bring. Sadlier has easily the best goals per 90 record but then probably doesn't offer as much to bring others in up front as Ennis does.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2019, 05:41:09 pm by DonnyOsmond »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 08, 2019, 08:25:58 pm by dickos1 »
Cameron John must have a decent scoring record. Seems to be in the right place at the right time in the box.
Maybe give him a go up front, I’m certain he’d be better than Bingham

TinyPortal © 2005-2012