Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 12:00:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Reality Check  (Read 7194 times)

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
Reality Check
« on December 29, 2019, 05:32:51 pm by 5 on Tour »
Boxing Day was a fantastic day out as an away fan and we all hoped it would continue into today.

However, we had the same frailties and errors as the 2 months preceding Peterborough today. Passing out from the back isn’t in itself a bad thing when the situation allows it. Against the high press from a team with 3 up front isn’t the time or place for it.

We hoped that this season was going to be a kick on from last season and for a month it was but since the middle of September we have been distinctly average. We are sliding down the table at an alarming rate and we need some signings to fix it.

We are worse off at the end of 2019 than at the start of it. Yes the Snakey one is the primary cause but we are walking straight into the same situation again with players contracts and the annual summer rebuild.

Realistically we are exactly where we should be(games in hand aside) and we seriously need to accept that this season isn’t leading to the Championship. We shouldn’t have to accept it based on what the club have told us but if January doesn’t yield some signings then I’m afraid to say we were mislead.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

redarmy82

• Forum Member
Re: Reality Check
« Reply #1 on December 29, 2019, 05:36:13 pm by redarmy82 »
It's the model the club want to approach though. Loans and short term contracts, and hope it comes good.

firestarter

• Forum Member
« Reply #2 on December 29, 2019, 05:38:37 pm by firestarter »
This passing out from the back is all well and good if you have a midfield that gives you options. We don’t .. no movement.. statuesque.. devoid of ideas. Sadlier for me was the worst culprit.. Whiteman didn’t influence the game at all and we can’t keep leaving it to Copps to conjure up something . A bollocking is needed and fast if we are to make any progress

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #3 on December 29, 2019, 05:43:37 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Worth pointing out. Our goal came from a short pass out from Dieng. 4 passes later it was in the back of the net.

The problem is, that was the one and only time we did it swiftly and accurately.

sha66y

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on December 29, 2019, 05:51:41 pm by sha66y »
The manager controls the players he has and Marshall’s them accordingly to meet the threat...

Today DM looked like he was very content with how overrun we were......or didn’t he see it?

since-1969

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on December 29, 2019, 05:55:32 pm by since-1969 »
We were just not good enough up front , our second half was weak and without any threat !!!

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #6 on December 29, 2019, 06:02:45 pm by Retdon1 »
Any team that press us high we struggle against. We got bullied today and haven’t got enough players that are good enough on the ball

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on December 29, 2019, 06:03:39 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Tend to agree the attack just wasnt strong enough. Ennis battles best he can but he doesnt do the job the formation needs.

I also thought tactically Darren Moore got it really wrong.  We needed Sheaf to come in and Reece James second half.  By having the wrong players in wrong places there was no supply up front and it just didnt work.  Thomas came on and had zero impact not for his effort but the lack of supply to him.

Quite an average display against a team set up first to stop us playing and battle which is clearly a problem for us.

Work to do, we arent there consistently.  Good on our day but those days arent common enough.  Still, if we had the resources of Sunderland where would be?

Retdon1

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on December 29, 2019, 06:13:34 pm by Retdon1 »
I feel a bit sorry for James. He hasn’t done much wrong to get dropped the last few games.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on December 29, 2019, 06:13:58 pm by drfchound »
Just got home, sad to say that we were definitely second best today.
The first half hour was a bit like men against boys.
We were physically inferior and, as has been said, bullied by Sunderland.
Based on the last two months or so I think we at best will be a mid table team.
After their second goal we had a couple of chances to get even again but Sads wasn’t able to put them away, denied first by a great save and then he mistimed his header when he probably should have scored.
It wasn’t all down to him though of course.
Whiteman again had a poor game ( by his standards) and in truth no one seemed able to get a grip on the game.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on December 29, 2019, 06:15:16 pm by Chris Black come back »
Virtually nothing down left hand side in second half. James can usually be relied upon to cause problems going forwards when he plays. Sadlier another one missing in action today.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on December 29, 2019, 06:23:50 pm by 5 on Tour »
My 8 year old asked me a good question on the way home. “Why did we stop playing the high ball when Thomas came on?” Not a clue mate. Not a clue.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #12 on December 29, 2019, 06:24:07 pm by Jonathan »
Three times we’ve played Sunderland in this division and each time we’ve been outmuscled across the pitch.

We made it far too easy for them today. Gifted Gooch the freedom of the Keepmoat to get his shot away for their first goal.

Rather than “play out from the back” we moved it slowly across the back line and invited their high press to put us under pressure with nowhere to go. For most of the game there was a huge hole in the middle of the park with neither Whiteman or Gomes affecting the game. It looks to me like our wide players are instructed to provide defensive cover by tucking in first, and getting forward later. Coppinger was largely crowded out and Ennis isolated.

The one time in the first half that we got Coppinger facing goal and Sadlier running forward the two of them combined to set up Taylor and we scored. Unfortunately we then came out for the second half on the back foot again. Other than a couple of Sadlier efforts (one brilliant shot and one header that he knew he should’ve scored) and one long run by Taylor where he failed to get his head up, we barely threatened.

They fully deserved their win. For me it’s just a shame that we didn’t give them more to think about. Gomes looked too slow in thought and Coppinger was not at his best and harried out of the game. But tactically I just felt we got the approach wrong.

This should’ve been a good time to play Sunderland but we made it easy for them in the end.

We need to sign Dieng. Our man of the match by some distance.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #13 on December 29, 2019, 06:42:04 pm by Campsall rover »
Ennis was knackered.
He did his very best but after his exertions on Boxing Day and it being only his 2nd game back from injury i personally think any criticism is unjustified.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #14 on December 29, 2019, 06:45:11 pm by Filo »
The criticism I have is DM not recognising our midfield was disjointed and over run, Gooch dictated play for them, it was obvious after 15 minutes we needed a change, but nothing until late on

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #15 on December 29, 2019, 07:11:47 pm by Campsall rover »
The criticism I have is DM not recognising our midfield was disjointed and over run, Gooch dictated play for them, it was obvious after 15 minutes we needed a change, but nothing until late on
We needed Sheaf to be honest. A ball winner in the middle of the park. Gomes was far too light weight and also too slow when in possession in the first half. He improved considerably 2nd half but in hind sight Sheaf was needed today.
I didn’t think Cameron John looked comfortable at left back today either.
I understand why he was picked to play there though as his physicality & height would be needed on defending set pieces against a team with considerable power in the air.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on December 29, 2019, 08:04:17 pm by PDX_Rover »
Cameron John had a mare today. I don't know why Moore isn't playing an actual left-back at left-back.

Agree about Gomes. Naive and slow in thought today.

Far too much fannying around at the back today. No urgency. Ponderous.

Far too many off days today. Even Whiteman looked average.

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on December 29, 2019, 08:15:00 pm by Chris Black come back »
Cameron John had a mare today. I don't know why Moore isn't playing an actual left-back at left-back.

Agree with all this. It is alright everyone slating Gomes but Whiteman aside from being captain is meant to be our big game man on the big money. Totally invisible today.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on December 29, 2019, 08:20:15 pm by 5 on Tour »

Agree with all this. It is alright everyone slating Gomes but Whiteman aside from being captain is meant to be our big game man on the big money. Totally invisible today.

Whiteman was almost being odd today. Especially at throw ins. He just seemed to be stood in no mans land absolutely no where near where he would normally be.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #19 on December 29, 2019, 08:25:00 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Once Sunderland got on top of us early doors, we were always going to have to work hard to get back in the game by doing the basics well when defending and making something from our few attacks, which we did.

It was imperitive we stood firm in the second half for as long as possible and try to get a foothold in the game. Taylor goes on the break with us having more numbers in support and we cock it up. Moments later, Halliday was too weak in the tackle and bang, we're 2-1 down instead of 2-1 up.

Sunderland were on the front foot for the vast majority of the game and fair play to them, they played with more intensity than their recent results suggest. We just didn't have enough collectively to wrestle the initiative from them for long enough. If we had tried to take more risks in the first half, they would have picked us off. They did just that from a moment of sloppiness in the second.

Donny Exile in York

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on December 29, 2019, 08:27:17 pm by Donny Exile in York »
It's like watching Dickov football at home st the moment I'm afraid to say.. though Sadlier had a great chance or two second half..

big fat yorkshire pudding

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on December 29, 2019, 08:36:05 pm by big fat yorkshire pudding »
Ennis was knackered.
He did his very best but after his exertions on Boxing Day and it being only his 2nd game back from injury i personally think any criticism is unjustified.

Maybe he was tired and that's fair enough, but he doesnt score goals and that is a problem when hes the main man up front.

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on December 29, 2019, 08:36:29 pm by sheffield exile1 »
Three times we’ve played Sunderland in this division and each time we’ve been outmuscled across the pitch.

We made it far too easy for them today. Gifted Gooch the freedom of the Keepmoat to get his shot away for their first goal.

Rather than “play out from the back” we moved it slowly across the back line and invited their high press to put us under pressure with nowhere to go. For most of the game there was a huge hole in the middle of the park with neither Whiteman or Gomes affecting the game. It looks to me like our wide players are instructed to provide defensive cover by tucking in first, and getting forward later. Coppinger was largely crowded out and Ennis isolated.

The one time in the first half that we got Coppinger facing goal and Sadlier running forward the two of them combined to set up Taylor and we scored. Unfortunately we then came out for the second half on the back foot again. Other than a couple of Sadlier efforts (one brilliant shot and one header that he knew he should’ve scored) and one long run by Taylor where he failed to get his head up, we barely threatened.

They fully deserved their win. For me it’s just a shame that we didn’t give them more to think about. Gomes looked too slow in thought and Coppinger was not at his best and harried out of the game. But tactically I just felt we got the approach wrong.

This should’ve been a good time to play Sunderland but we made it easy for them in the end.

Spot on that. Gomes was truly awful, why he got the nod over Sheaf will never know. 10 out of the 11 decided to have a collective bad day, Copps anonymous most of the game and when he plays poorly the team seem to replicate. Must sign Dieng- outstanding. We hardly won a first ball, and all this against a team who haven't won for 2 months. Seems we are in awe of Sunderland, and this despite breaking hoodoo's against Leeds, Wednesday, Forest etc. To put it bluntly today's performance was truly baffling. At times it seemed lik a cup tie , with them being in a much higher division. Still never beaten them, and this was our best chance.

Campsall rover

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on December 29, 2019, 08:38:52 pm by Campsall rover »
We beat Posh 3-0 away without Copps.  ;)

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on December 29, 2019, 08:42:33 pm by Filo »
It's like watching Dickov football at home st the moment I'm afraid to say.. though Sadlier had a great chance or two second half..

Forgot Sadlier was on the pitch at times, he was nesh in the tackle, and all too often just waited for the ball to come to him rather than trying to get to a ball first

JonWallsend

• Forum Member
« Reply #25 on December 29, 2019, 08:53:24 pm by JonWallsend »
That was a tough watch and I have to agree the better team won. We hadn't played well but were level at half time and I honestly thought we would kick on. Bizarrely, we were having a good spell when they got the winner, when Halliday, who I thought otherwise had a decent game, was too easily brushed off in the tackle and that absolutely kicked the life out of us.

Agree with most people that we had too many under par, notably Whiteman, Taylor worked really hard and was our best outfield player but Dieng was outstanding. Really good save in first half when he tipped one round the post and an absolute worldie save from a header in the second period.

That is the best they have played all season according to my Sunderland mates. I thought they were ok but we made them look good through our own below par performance

A bad day at the office. Take the defeat and move on.

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on December 29, 2019, 08:55:27 pm by NewDonny »

It was a hard watch today, especially that first 25 minutes, we had no one centrally with a bit of composure, able to put a foot on the ball and get us playing going forward, although I thought we did get better in the second half and but for a bit more luck could have nicked it, but other than that I think you have it about spot on Jonathan.

As for some on here suggesting that Sadlier was missing in action, I really wonder what game you were watching and suggest you watch the game back again, because but for him we would have created absolutely nothing today and that includes Taylors goal.

Filo

• VSC Member
« Reply #27 on December 29, 2019, 08:58:05 pm by Filo »

It was a hard watch today, especially that first 25 minutes, we had no one centrally with a bit of composure, able to put a foot on the ball and get us playing going forward, although I thought we did get better in the second half and but for a bit more luck could have nicked it, but other than that I think you have it about spot on Jonathan.

As for some on here suggesting that Sadlier was missing in action, I really wonder what game you were watching and suggest you watch the game back again, because but for him we would have created absolutely nothing today and that includes Taylors goal.

Take your Sadlier blinkers off mate, he was missing for large parts of the game

NewDonny

• Forum Member
« Reply #28 on December 29, 2019, 09:02:00 pm by NewDonny »

Take your Sadlier blinkers off mate, he was missing for large parts of the game

Change the record will you, I say it as I see it, I certainly don't subscribe to rose tinted glasses and bytheway I am not your mate!

He was involved in everything going forward and if there were parts of the game he was not involved then that will be because we insisted on attacking down the right side of the pitch far too often.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 09:05:35 pm by NewDonny »

sheffield exile1

• Forum Member
« Reply #29 on December 29, 2019, 09:03:29 pm by sheffield exile1 »
We beat Posh 3-0 away without Copps.  ;)

Him not playing is different to him playing and not performing I would suggest? If he isn't on the field then the others can't look to him for inspiration. Today he didn't produce the Copps spark we all know and love and I am convinced that was a factor (but not the whole as apart from Dieng everyone had a stinker)

TinyPortal © 2005-2012