Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:54:34 am

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Giving the ball back  (Read 4284 times)

glosterred

• VSC Member
Giving the ball back
« on January 01, 2020, 07:49:40 pm by glosterred »
No not our passing poor or otherwise but when a team kicks the ball out for an injury. Anyone know why it wasn’t given back when we kicked it out for Watters injury?

COYR

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

anton123

• Forum Member
Re: Giving the ball back
« Reply #1 on January 01, 2020, 07:53:38 pm by anton123 »
Don’t think they have to but when the crowd started booing I think they felt like tw**s and didn’t want to attack during that phase of play so just shot from 30 yards out knowing it would result in a goal kick , funny really

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #2 on January 01, 2020, 07:53:58 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
There's no obligation now for a team to give the ball back if we put it out voluntarily when it's not a head injury.

ian1980

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 01, 2020, 07:55:29 pm by ian1980 »
I think initially the Oxford players didn’t realise we’d kicked it out for an injury and they thought it was a miss pass that went out of play.

However, when the ref blew his whistle and they saw the player getting treatment it became clear.

They just chose not to give it back.

Reesielad

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 01, 2020, 07:55:52 pm by Reesielad »
KR spent the whole time on the side pretending he didn’t know what was going on, Copps even had a few unkind words for him and when KR put out his hand to shake Copps declined and walked off. I’ve always thought KR had an arrogance about him and I saw it with both eyes today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #5 on January 01, 2020, 07:56:20 pm by drfchound »
It is unusual for a team not to give it back but we have complained ourselves when opponents have kicked the ball when one of their players has been injured late in a game that they were winning and expected us to give it back.
If the situation  had been reversed we would have said we shouldn’t give the ball back.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 01, 2020, 08:35:32 pm by ravenrover »
I'll just say Sadlier and Posh and leave it at that

glosterred

• VSC Member
« Reply #7 on January 01, 2020, 08:36:56 pm by glosterred »

But in that incident their player wasn’t even on the pitch so not exactly the same, but I take your point

COYR

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 01, 2020, 08:37:38 pm by Jonathan »

The Peterborough player was already off the pitch so there was no need for the game to be stopped. Our player was down on the pitch.

PDX_Rover

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 01, 2020, 08:38:27 pm by PDX_Rover »

Completely different scenario. Their player was off the pitch having treatment and the referee didn’t indicate anything. We did nowt wrong.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #10 on January 01, 2020, 08:39:35 pm by IDM »

That was their keeper being ignorant of what was happening, nothing we did wrong..

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 01, 2020, 08:42:33 pm by drfchound »
To be fair, I don’t think that Oxford were in the wrong for keeping the ball.
I would have been happy for us to do the same in the same circumstances late in a game.
Wolfie has also advocated this.

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 01, 2020, 08:43:14 pm by ravenrover »
Exactly the responses I expected, thank you
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 08:48:32 pm by ravenrover »

ravenrover

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 01, 2020, 08:48:12 pm by ravenrover »
For what it's worth my opinion  is that any player putting the ball out is stupid, leave it to the ref to stop play and yes I agree Sadlier was correct  to play on I disagree totally with giving the ball back even if it is our opposition

Bessie Red

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 01, 2020, 08:49:56 pm by Bessie Red »
KR spent the whole time on the side pretending he didn’t know what was going on, Copps even had a few unkind words for him and when KR put out his hand to shake Copps declined and walked off. I’ve always thought KR had an arrogance about him and I saw it with both eyes today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He's a Kitson of the highest order!!

Superspy

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 01, 2020, 08:50:45 pm by Superspy »
Normally I'm an advocate of giving the ball back, however, today I don't see anything wrong with what Oxford did, because we had the ball for quite a while in their 3rd of the pitch and didn't put it out...we only decided to put it out once we got pushed back towards our own half.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #16 on January 01, 2020, 09:47:46 pm by RoversAlias »
I'm with those who don't think they should give us it back to be honest. I was annoyed when we put it out, I felt it was naive of us because with it being the last ten minutes and Oxford chasing the game, why should they give us it back? We also dithered for a minute and then kicked it out in our own half, when we should have kicked it out high and long down the touchline.

Watters was down holding his ankle, nowhere near the play. If it's a head injury fair enough, but I was irritated we put it out and would have been furious as an Oxford fan if we had given it back in that scenario.

Nevermind anyway, they wasted the possession and we won the game in dogged fashion. So it didn't ultimately matter.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #17 on January 01, 2020, 09:50:55 pm by dknward2 »
For me sheaf should have kept running down the wing and either tried to get the ball in for a cross or put it out next to the corner flag for a throw in

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #18 on January 01, 2020, 10:13:02 pm by 5 on Tour »
I don’t blame them for not giving it back in this instance however had it been the other way round they would have wanted the ball back. Sportsmanship went out the window regardless of our nativity.

Agree with the above though. We all booed it that much I think they realised. No-one really wanted to take it on and then the pot shot from a mile out.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 01, 2020, 10:16:53 pm by drfchound »
I don’t blame them for not giving it back in this instance however had it been the other way round they would have wanted the ball back. Sportsmanship went out the window regardless of our nativity.

Agree with the above though. We all booed it that much I think they realised. No-one really wanted to take it on and then the pot shot from a mile out.

5 on tour, that bloody predictive text got your there, at the right time of year too.

5 on Tour

• Forum Member
« Reply #20 on January 01, 2020, 10:20:08 pm by 5 on Tour »
Haha. I’m leaving it like that now I’ve seen it.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #21 on January 01, 2020, 10:25:27 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Not too dissimilar to last season v Posh when their pkayer was down OFF the pitch. Their keeper thought he was on the pitch and kicked the ball out. We quite rightly took a quick throw in from which Sadlier scored.

Now, if we put ball out if their player is down then yes, they should give ball back etc.

the vicar

• Forum Member
« Reply #22 on January 01, 2020, 10:27:19 pm by the vicar »
With 2 minutes to go in normal time and 1-0 down, I don't think and team would give the ball back in that position

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 01, 2020, 10:32:37 pm by drfchound »
Not too dissimilar to last season v Posh when their pkayer was down OFF the pitch. Their keeper thought he was on the pitch and kicked the ball out. We quite rightly took a quick throw in from which Sadlier scored.

Now, if we put ball out if their player is down then yes, they should give ball back etc.

DBR, a big yes from me with regards to your last sentence above but not if a team kicks it out for their own player unless it is a serious injury of course.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2020, 11:02:06 pm by drfchound »

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #24 on January 01, 2020, 10:38:53 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
I'm with those who don't think they should give us it back to be honest. I was annoyed when we put it out, I felt it was naive of us because with it being the last ten minutes and Oxford chasing the game, why should they give us it back? We also dithered for a minute and then kicked it out in our own half, when we should have kicked it out high and long down the touchline.

Watters was down holding his ankle, nowhere near the play. If it's a head injury fair enough, but I was irritated we put it out and would have been furious as an Oxford fan if we had given it back in that scenario.

Nevermind anyway, they wasted the possession and we won the game in dogged fashion. So it didn't ultimately matter.

Sadlier HAD to put the ball out of play. We were about to launch an attack into precisely the area of the pitch where Watters was flat out.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #25 on January 01, 2020, 10:46:38 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
The ref is only obliged to stop the game for a head injury so we didn't have to stop play hence, there was no obligation for them to give us the ball back.

If you remember it was getting a nonsense with players feigning injury to stop the game. That's why there's been a change in the protocol.

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #26 on January 01, 2020, 10:57:58 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
So what should we have done? Launched an attack up the left wing with half a dozen players running over the prone Watters?

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #27 on January 01, 2020, 11:05:50 pm by RoversAlias »
At that point, the referee may have stopped it. Then we could have had a drop ball in the opposition half.

Gomes first dithered with it as some players seemed to slow because of Watters being down, but he had the ball a good 50 yards behind where Watters was. It was then slackly given out to a Rovers player on the left, James or Sadlier, and then it was put out, halfway in our own half.

I doubt anyone would have trampled Watters, who again did not have a head injury. I don't think we handled the situation in the best way but as I said above, it ultimately had no bearing on the result thankfully.

Spud

• VSC Member
« Reply #28 on January 02, 2020, 01:31:59 pm by Spud »
It is unusual for a team not to give it back but we have complained ourselves when opponents have kicked the ball when one of their players has been injured late in a game that they were winning and expected us to give it back.
If the situation  had been reversed we would have said we shouldn’t give the ball back.

Totally agree, it was our choice to out it for our player to get treatment, not like the ref had called for it.
I wouldn't expect us to give it back in such circumstances, 1-0 down with 5 minutes or so left.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #29 on January 02, 2020, 01:40:37 pm by IDM »
It’s simple, play to the actual rules.  The ref should be the only one to stop play for injuries - the “sporting” thing about kicking the ball out is open to misuse.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012