Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:24:19 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: League One January transfers thread  (Read 27213 times)

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
Re: League One January transfers thread
« Reply #120 on January 16, 2020, 11:26:44 pm by DonnyBazR0ver »
Has he admitted his mistake over the Shrewsbury lad yet?

I wouldn't believe everything you read in print.

He just quoted the Shropshire newspaper for that one though didn’t he?

I'm not suggesting he didn't, what I am saying is don't believe everything you read.

Well, I’d never heard of the phrase click bait before, although I know the concept. That's all the press are doing.

It's debatable whether what Hoden puts out is a help or a hinderence to the club. In the past would journos check the story with the club first? Maybe maybe not. But the motivation to publish misleading or mischievous headlines is obvious.

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #121 on January 17, 2020, 07:56:08 am by NickDRFC »
Alan. Have you listened to Adam Oxley's interview?

No, I’ve read the article in the FP. Was DM talking to AO at the same time?

We’re you there?

Is it not feasibly possible he could have said something more to Hoden that he didn’t say to Oxley?

Until Hoden says he made a mistake, then one has to assume that what Hoden put in quotation marks, DM actually said. Who am I to question that?

Whoever said what to who is less of a problem, by comparison, to the fact that we are 2 weeks away from not reinforcing the squad/team at all and it’s not sitting with me at all well. After all, like I’ve previously said, we’ve had since September to sort our strategy out and check out all possibilities.

It also seems to me that certain people are (unfairly) pointing the finger at DM for our transfer failings, to date and, if that is the case, then that’s out of order. If my perception is wrong, then I apologise, but it does seem like it.

Yes, perculiar isn't it. We have yet to hear it from DMs mouth. For your own benefit, listen to it. You may not change your view. That's up to you.

This is really bizarre. Are you and SM saying that no one should ever believe any printed quotes in the media, only recorded interviews? Or is that just specific to Darren Moore?

I take what I read with a pinch of salt but when it’s directly quoted you have to take it at face value. Hoden himself has tweeted defending himself so unless he subsequently publishes an apology/retraction then I will believe that Moore has said that we have missed out on targets.

Herbert Anchovy

• Forum Member
« Reply #122 on January 17, 2020, 08:12:19 am by Herbert Anchovy »
DM has made it quite clear from the start that he’ll only bring in the ‘right’ players to the Rovers. He won’t go out to the market and just bring anyone in. It looks like we’ve made approaches of some sort to one or more of these targets, but for a variety of reasons (injuries, selling club changing their minds, other clubs interest etc...) none of them have come off yet. Consequently, the landscape is changing and theyre shifting their focus onto other players. And these things take time. We don’t have a bottomless pit of cash, so this needs to be done properly.

I really, really don’t see how anyone can fault the club. Some people seem determined to find any reason to have a dig at the club, despite having very little fact to base this on!

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #123 on January 17, 2020, 08:18:55 am by Alan Southstand »
Liam Hoden has now gone on record to defend himself.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #124 on January 17, 2020, 08:26:03 am by IDM »
I have noticed quite often, particularly post match interviews, that what is written and quoted on the DFP site is identical to what was said on the RS interview.

What I have no idea about is, are these interviews done separately or part of a press conference where the radio journalist asks the questions and everyone else reports on the answers?  Or do they have separate interviews for each.?

I like to trust what is written in the paper and in its website.  Why wouldn’t I.?  Same for the local radio interviews. 

This just illustrates to me the downside of the need for public information on what is going on behind the scenes at the football club.

Anyone else remember the days you would go to Belle Vue and hear a player announced in the team and think “who.?”..?

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #125 on January 17, 2020, 08:27:34 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Alan. Have you listened to Adam Oxley's interview?

No, I’ve read the article in the FP. Was DM talking to AO at the same time?

We’re you there?

Is it not feasibly possible he could have said something more to Hoden that he didn’t say to Oxley?

Until Hoden says he made a mistake, then one has to assume that what Hoden put in quotation marks, DM actually said. Who am I to question that?

Whoever said what to who is less of a problem, by comparison, to the fact that we are 2 weeks away from not reinforcing the squad/team at all and it’s not sitting with me at all well. After all, like I’ve previously said, we’ve had since September to sort our strategy out and check out all possibilities.

It also seems to me that certain people are (unfairly) pointing the finger at DM for our transfer failings, to date and, if that is the case, then that’s out of order. If my perception is wrong, then I apologise, but it does seem like it.

Yes, perculiar isn't it. We have yet to hear it from DMs mouth. For your own benefit, listen to it. You may not change your view. That's up to you.

This is really bizarre. Are you and SM saying that no one should ever believe any printed quotes in the media, only recorded interviews? Or is that just specific to Darren Moore?

I take what I read with a pinch of salt but when it’s directly quoted you have to take it at face value. Hoden himself has tweeted defending himself so unless he subsequently publishes an apology/retraction then I will believe that Moore has said that we have missed out on targets.

What I,'m saying is there a quite a few people on this forum and on FB complaining about the headlines, not necessarily about this particularly about this most recent article, some of which are not from Hoden himself. As I've said on another thread, Hoden has a job to do however, some people interpret things differently from written reports from what they would do if they heard the same interview from the horses mouth. 

I'm not sure what's happened with yesterday's interview but DM clearly tells Adam Oxley that we have not missed out on targets so far this window. I don't understand why he would say anything different to Hoden when they're in the same room at the same time.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #126 on January 17, 2020, 08:38:24 am by NickDRFC »
I take your point regarding click bait and misleading headlines creating hysteria but what people have been talking about on here is a direct quote from the body of an article. People shouldn’t be criticised for taking that at face value, and besides there’s nothing for Hoden to gain from making something up there given to see if you’d have to already be reading the article.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #127 on January 17, 2020, 08:43:11 am by dickos1 »
He’s put the audio now on his twitter page

Chris Black come back

• Forum Member
« Reply #128 on January 17, 2020, 08:45:39 am by Chris Black come back »
I have noticed quite often, particularly post match interviews, that what is written and quoted on the DFP site is identical to what was said on the RS interview.

What I have no idea about is, are these interviews done separately or part of a press conference where the radio journalist asks the questions and everyone else reports on the answers?  Or do they have separate interviews for each.?

I like to trust what is written in the paper and in its website.  Why wouldn’t I.?  Same for the local radio interviews. 

This just illustrates to me the downside of the need for public information on what is going on behind the scenes at the football club.

Anyone else remember the days you would go to Belle Vue and hear a player announced in the team and think “who.?”..?

Best one was “Two Dean Williams’”. Guy signed night before game, started game I think then subbed at half time and was never seen again. The “other” Dean Williams has a far longer and better career with Rovers.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #129 on January 17, 2020, 08:48:44 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
I'm not saying Hoden deliberately misquoted DM but you can see how people jump to conclusions either by reading the headlines and not reading or hearing the full interview. You can see what happened as soon as the story broke. I just think as with most things a little pinch of salt should be take. 

That all said, the only thing that will calm some anxiety is an actual signing.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #130 on January 17, 2020, 08:51:19 am by wing commander »
To be fair to Hoden on this occasion he has been proved correct.DM does actually say we've missed out on targets on record,so no spin there just reporting what DM says..

However for me this is another reason why we really could do with getting one of our targets done somehow,just to stop people falling out with each other from fans,board,chairman of vsc and Hoden..

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #131 on January 17, 2020, 08:56:28 am by DRNaith »
Hoden's job is to generate clicks, I'd say he's managed to do that perfectly.

The more extreme or tantalising the article, the more clicks he gets.

His role is to sail as close to the wind as possible, without getting sued, or losing the goodwill of some of his sources in the process.

wing commander

• Forum Member
« Reply #132 on January 17, 2020, 09:00:38 am by wing commander »
I'm struggling to see what people are on about??

Hoden has posted the audio part of the interview on twitter for all to listen too..Moore clearly says we have missed out on a couple of targets so far..He just reported what he actually said..

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #133 on January 17, 2020, 09:01:03 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Thanks for pointing me towards the audio. I'm bemused why DM has answered the same question differently probably within minutes of each other.

That certainly doesn't help matters when people are anxious to hear positive news.

Still nothing changes for me. Not the first time we've missed out on targets and won't be the last.

Jonathan

• Forum Member
« Reply #134 on January 17, 2020, 09:06:32 am by Jonathan »
Thanks for pointing me towards the audio. I'm bemused why DM has answered the same question differently probably within minutes of each other.

That certainly doesn't help matters when people are anxious to hear positive news.

Still nothing changes for me. Not the first time we've missed out on targets and won't be the last.

He hasn’t contradicted himself at all. He answered two different questions. On the BBC he discussed why we’d let players go. To the DFP he confirmed we’d missed out on some targets. Different points entirely.

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #135 on January 17, 2020, 09:14:17 am by DonnyBazR0ver »
Oxley did ask if we'd missed out but anyway, it's cleared it up. Anyway, as said, nothings changed really.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #136 on January 17, 2020, 09:18:05 am by IDM »
Maybe if Liam had tweeted his audio last night the issue of potentially “misquoting” wouldn’t have arisen..

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #137 on January 17, 2020, 09:36:31 am by steve@dcfd »
But was in quotation marks what Darren said it’s just that certain posters choose to call Liam to justify their points and agenda on here. So we now know we have missed out on players from the audio from Liam.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 09:45:08 am by steve@dcfd »

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #138 on January 17, 2020, 10:02:28 am by dickos1 »
He shouldn’t need to provide the audio

Some people for whatever reason have an agenda against Liam, and won’t allow any criticism of the club.

He doesn’t need to be playing the audio of every interview he does

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #139 on January 17, 2020, 10:05:44 am by IDM »
I would agree Dickos under most circumstances, but on this particular issue Liam’s audio has a different take on things to that of RS, so it does make sense to broadcast it.

I tend to trust what’s in the DFP and also what’s on the local radio, there’s no problem asking for clarity when reports are different.?

steve@dcfd

• Forum Member
« Reply #140 on January 17, 2020, 11:09:46 am by steve@dcfd »
I would agree Dickos under most circumstances, but on this particular issue Liam’s audio has a different take on things to that of RS, so it does make sense to broadcast it.

I tend to trust what’s in the DFP and also what’s on the local radio, there’s no problem asking for clarity when reports are different.?
But certain posters believe that clarity only comes from them.

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #141 on January 17, 2020, 11:10:44 am by Alan Southstand »
He has explained himself quite clearly on twitter and why he felt the need to defend himself, and not for the first time, either, according to him.

I find all this very sad indeed. Hoden shouldn’t have to be posting the audio at all, I agree. But the man has built up a level of trust between himself, the Club and the manager and he is going to protect that, of course he is.

drfc1951

• Forum Member
« Reply #142 on January 17, 2020, 11:14:21 am by drfc1951 »
We missed out on the guy from Norwich through no fault of our own.

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #143 on January 17, 2020, 11:18:15 am by IDM »
He has explained himself quite clearly on twitter and why he felt the need to defend himself, and not for the first time, either, according to him.

I find all this very sad indeed. Hoden shouldn’t have to be posting the audio at all, I agree. But the man has built up a level of trust between himself, the Club and the manager and he is going to protect that, of course he is.

On this occasion it is sensible for Liam I publish his audio.  I have no issues with what he writes but where another interview seems to contradict one of the issues, then it’s right that he should do that..  ideally he shouldn’t have to but in this case it makes sense..

karldew

• Forum Member
« Reply #144 on January 17, 2020, 11:36:06 am by karldew »
We missed out on the guy from Norwich through no fault of our own.

Have we ;)

knockers

• Forum Member
« Reply #145 on January 17, 2020, 11:58:07 am by knockers »

I wait for SM's public apology with baited breath. I fear this may take some time

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #146 on January 17, 2020, 12:19:37 pm by drfchound »
DM has made it quite clear from the start that he’ll only bring in the ‘right’ players to the Rovers. He won’t go out to the market and just bring anyone in. It looks like we’ve made approaches of some sort to one or more of these targets, but for a variety of reasons (injuries, selling club changing their minds, other clubs interest etc...) none of them have come off yet. Consequently, the landscape is changing and theyre shifting their focus onto other players. And these things take time. We don’t have a bottomless pit of cash, so this needs to be done properly.

I really, really don’t see how anyone can fault the club. Some people seem determined to find any reason to have a dig at the club, despite having very little fact to base this on!

Herbert, I don’t understand why posters put such an emphasis on “bringing in the right players, not just any players”.
Surely all managers go out to do exactly that.
I can’t imagine that any manager goes out and buys any player just to satisfy the fans of his club.
DM is no different from anyone else out there in his position.

dickos1

• VSC Member
« Reply #147 on January 17, 2020, 12:45:35 pm by dickos1 »

On this occasion it is sensible for Liam I publish his audio.  I have no issues with what he writes but where another interview seems to contradict one of the issues, then it’s right that he should do that..  ideally he shouldn’t have to but in this case it makes sense..

He has published the audio, he doesn’t need to do it just to prove the people wrong.
It seems there’s an issue with him and SM

IDM

• VSC Member
« Reply #148 on January 17, 2020, 12:47:09 pm by IDM »
No, not to prove people wrong, more to demonstrate his interview was different..

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #149 on January 17, 2020, 01:18:36 pm by Alan Southstand »
No, it was suggested he misquoted DM. He clearly didn’t.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012