Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:08:00 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Links

FSA logo

Author Topic: Ben Sheaf  (Read 3853 times)

Donnybax

• Forum Member
Ben Sheaf
« on January 07, 2020, 03:54:37 pm by Donnybax »
I’m sure I read somewhere that the paperwork for his extension needed sorting before he could play in tonight’s game. Anyone know anything on this?

(want to hide these ads? Join the VSC today!)

MachoMadness

• Forum Member
Re: Ben Sheaf
« Reply #1 on January 07, 2020, 04:02:50 pm by MachoMadness »
Just this minute announced he's extended until the end of the season on Twitter.

ian1980

• Forum Member

Alan Southstand

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on January 07, 2020, 11:36:02 pm by Alan Southstand »
And played well tonight.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #4 on January 07, 2020, 11:37:21 pm by drfchound »
Sheaf had his best performance of the season tonight.

dknward2

• VSC Member
« Reply #5 on January 07, 2020, 11:42:41 pm by dknward2 »
Turned it back around tonight the odd poor pass or touch but nothing that cause us as a team a problem.

Only one thing when copps got fouled on half way after the ball had gone (ref played advantage, good call) it went out to sadlier who then got took out again but the sheaf got the ball ref waved advantage but then Ben just hit and hope ball at goal when he should have stopped and took the free kick but as a young player learning the game I won't hold it against him. Hopefully he can keep this performance level up

BillyStubbsTears

• VSC Member
« Reply #6 on January 07, 2020, 11:45:32 pm by BillyStubbsTears »
Absolutely superb tonight. Tackling, decision-making and passing, all spot-on. MoM by a street for me.

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on January 07, 2020, 11:46:49 pm by drfchound »
On the subject of those two fouls, hasn’t the ref got an option to give us the free kick for the foul on Sads even after Sheaf took his shot.
I know he was trying to play an advantage, but there wasn’t one as Sheaf shot wide.

RoversAlias

• Forum Member
« Reply #8 on January 08, 2020, 12:07:50 am by RoversAlias »
Well, technically Sheaf took the advantage by having a shot at goal. He just wasted it.

As far as I know, that's how the rule works. But yes I'd have preferred the free kick too.

Echo the sentiment that he had a very good game tonight.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #9 on January 08, 2020, 05:23:35 am by roversdude »
Started a bit shaky but ended up running the game.
Whiteman is either carrying an injury or on his way, I've never seen him pull out of so many challenges (actually thinking again is he close to a ban with yellow cards ?)

donnievic

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on January 08, 2020, 05:40:06 am by donnievic »
Whiteman is either carrying an injury or on his way, I've never seen him pull out of so many challenges (actually thinking again is he close to a ban with yellow cards ?)
no one is close to a van now as it’s 10 yellows now

DonnyOsmond

• Forum Member
« Reply #11 on January 08, 2020, 07:10:25 am by DonnyOsmond »
On the subject of those two fouls, hasn’t the ref got an option to give us the free kick for the foul on Sads even after Sheaf took his shot.
I know he was trying to play an advantage, but there wasn’t one as Sheaf shot wide.

That's like saying we can keep taking a penalty until it goes in. The advantage was the shooting opportunity, if it's on target or not it doesn't matter.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #12 on January 08, 2020, 07:14:15 am by roversdude »
Cheers Vic just looking for an excuse I guess as I really rate Ben

idler

• VSC Member
« Reply #13 on January 08, 2020, 07:20:52 am by idler »
I remember when we were in the Conference, Trevor Kettle I think it was allowing opposition advantage. They burst into the area and shot wide and he then pulled it back and gave a free kick just outside the area.

NickDRFC

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on January 08, 2020, 07:43:44 am by NickDRFC »
I remember when we were in the Conference, Trevor Kettle I think it was allowing opposition advantage. They burst into the area and shot wide and he then pulled it back and gave a free kick just outside the area.

Probably because it was Trevor Kettle!

DonnyBazR0ver

• VSC Member
« Reply #15 on January 08, 2020, 07:59:42 am by DonnyBazR0ver »

Those were my thoughts exactly but listening to DM post match, I got the impression he was relieved to get a few players through the game  so let's hope he was just managing himself through it. Same with Copps to a degree.

Sheaf was the only one in midfield who was getting close to getting a tackle in and won quite a few. Used his quick feet to get out of some tight situations which we've seen go the other way recently.

If there were a few players managing themselves through the game, not being 100% then it makes the win more impressive.

Colin C No.3

• VSC Member
« Reply #16 on January 08, 2020, 08:51:08 am by Colin C No.3 »
Absolutely superb tonight. Tackling, decision-making and passing, all spot-on. MoM by a street for me.
‘Absolutely superb’ is taking his performance a tad far imo. As for MoM, Tom Anderson won every header, didn’t ‘panic’ when receiving the ball from Dieng in ‘our passing out from the back routine’ with opposing players bearing down on him, his general distribution always found a Rovers player in space & scored to boot. For once I agreed with the sponsor’s in their heated, reclining seats.

Tom Anderson, Man of the Match for me too (in my plastic seat).

deebee

• Forum Member
« Reply #17 on January 08, 2020, 09:01:29 am by deebee »
no one is close to a van now as it’s 10 yellows now
if they are close to a van they shouldn't be playing on the carpark.

roversdude

• VSC Member
« Reply #18 on January 08, 2020, 09:50:06 am by roversdude »
Lol

chrisd_123

• Forum Member
« Reply #19 on January 08, 2020, 01:18:42 pm by chrisd_123 »
‘Absolutely superb’ is taking his performance a tad far imo. As for MoM, Tom Anderson won every header, didn’t ‘panic’ when receiving the ball from Dieng in ‘our passing out from the back routine’ with opposing players bearing down on him, his general distribution always found a Rovers player in space & scored to boot. For once I agreed with the sponsor’s in their heated, reclining seats.

Tom Anderson, Man of the Match for me too (in my plastic seat).

The way Anderson has played this season we should rename the MOTM award to the "apart from Tom Anderson..." award.

For me, last night was one of Sheaf's best performances. One negative about him for me this season has been his slowness to release the ball but last night he was the one trying the quick passes and got the ball out of his feet neatly. Played very well and long may it continue.

DRNaith

• VSC Member
« Reply #20 on January 08, 2020, 01:35:59 pm by DRNaith »
An AFTA, I like it!

drfchound

• Forum Member
« Reply #21 on January 08, 2020, 02:16:21 pm by drfchound »

That's like saying we can keep taking a penalty until it goes in. The advantage was the shooting opportunity, if it's on target or not it doesn't matter.

No it isn’t.
Although Man City did that last week thanks to our good friend VAR.

i_ateallthepies

• VSC Member
« Reply #22 on January 08, 2020, 07:34:31 pm by i_ateallthepies »
I've been mostly unimpressed with Sheaf much of the season and more especially of late but have to agree, last night he was like a different player.  Great performance and my 2nd choice for MoM.

scawsby steve

• Forum Member
« Reply #23 on January 08, 2020, 07:50:54 pm by scawsby steve »

No it isn’t.
Although Man City did that last week thanks to our good friend VAR.

Totally agree Hound. If no advantage is gained, bring it back for the free kick. That's good refereeing.

This is yet another welcome new ruling in football that has taken a leaf out of rugby's book. No advantage, bring them back. Common sense.

TinyPortal © 2005-2012